• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:
Does Chapter 2 always start with
the Philippa owl and the wraiths
?

The visuals there, my god.

That whole thing was absolutely glorious. I loved it.

Just finished it. Gorgeous, powerful, insanely skillfully crafted, etc...

But Chapter 3. What the fuck happened here? I was expecting...a lot more...game.

So the start of chapter 3 (Roche):

Does the game remember I helped the Order in The Witcher? Or is it referring to just helping them by killing the Grand Master in the end of The Witcher?

RedSwirl

I just started stockpiling quests in Chapter 2 (Roche Path) and goddamn this game is getting thick. What sucks is that starting Wednesday I'm gonna be away and not be able to play this game for a solid week. Should I just stop now until then?

burgerdog

bluedeviltron said:

But Chapter 3. What the fuck happened here? I was expecting...a lot more...game.

I just got to chapter 3, but can we really complain about the length of the game? Assuming it takes 2-3 hours to complete chapter 3 then it will have taken me 34 hours to finish the game. That's a ton of game and let's not forget that chapter 2 can be entirely different(according to gaffers!) if you go opposite of what you did the first time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RedSwirl said:
I just started stockpiling quests in Chapter 2 (Roche Path) and goddamn this game is getting thick. What sucks is that starting Wednesday I'm gonna be away and not be able to play this game for a solid week. Should I just stop now until then?

You have like 40 hours, get some red bull and some pampers and take care of that shit.

bluedeviltron said:

I think it might have been because chapter 3 can play out in so many different ways. It would have been nice to doodle around in the mountains before arriving in Loc Muinne but it doesn't make much sense narratively to delay your arrival there.

I can see something being squeezed between chapters 1 and 2 but it's pretty clear that end is near in chapter 3.

Thoraxes

Just finished my first playthrough, and have a feeling that a billion of the choices I made could make the whole game turn out entirely differently.

Gonna install some mods/hacks though for the subsequent playthroughs to make them faster now that i've got my "legit" runthrough done.

Great game, and so far the best of the year for me. It's a very fantastic game, plays well, I enjoy the combat system, and nothing feels extra. Everything is so well integrated, and it plays like a champ and looks gorgeous to boot. The controls handle very well and are very responsive, and felt great on M+KB, Dualshock 3, and 360 controller.

Not once did I die in combat and feel cheated. I always knew what my mistakes were and knew how to fix them the next time. I really enjoyed the combat system and its use of many different elements. Also shooting people off bridges with Aard was awesome, especially the way they screamed as they fell to their deaths.

Man, this is exciting. Overall, I finished my "Vanilla" playthrough at 55 hours, and spent a ton of time doing every quest I could find and crafting and making the best potions, traps, and gear. I also finished at level 46.

Tokubetsu

RedSwirl said:

Yeah, Chapter 2 is gonna take you roughly 16+ hours to do.

I'm guessing I missed out on a lot of content in Chapter 2? I did every quest which was presented to me and I finished watching the credits after 18.3 hours. I really really enjoyed the game, I'm just slightly disappointed that there isn't more of it (especially coming from my 65 hour experience which lasted me months of the first game)

Van Buren

bluedeviltron said:

Reload your save before you took the final choice in Act 3 and replay the ending bits to get an entirely new perspective on things. The stories for a lot of characters run in parallel, and based on one's choice, Geralt can only witness a select few of these.

TouchMyBox said:
I'm guessing I missed out on a lot of content in Chapter 2? I did every quest which was presented to me and I finished watching the credits after 18.3 hours. I really really enjoyed the game, I'm just slightly disappointed that there isn't more of it

My first run on Hard took around 40-50 hours, I read the journal after every quest update and after meeting every new person. I also completed all the side quests and explored everything there is to explore. Owing to the different stories from the end of Chapter 1 onwards, I'd place Witcher 2's average play length to witness all unique content to be similar to Witcher 1's.

MrBig

Thinking about getting this as my summer game. Is the playtime more comparable to Mass Effect or the Elder Scrolls games?

burgerdog said:
I just got to chapter 3, but can we really complain about the length of the game? Assuming it takes 2-3 hours to complete chapter 3 then it will have taken me 34 hours to finish the game. That's a ton of game and let's not forget that chapter 2 can be entirely different(according to gaffers!) if you go opposite of what you did the first time.
I'm not necessarily complaining about the length.
It's just that there's a lot of buildup going into Chapter 3 that is essentially funneled into an hour and a half of linear hallways and cutscenes, and a bizarre ending that seemed like it was literally cut off without fading out the music

But if we're talking about length, I can't have put more than 15 hours into this game total, and (unless I just completely spaced on a ton of content) I passed over maybe 2 or 3 quests.

EDIT: I guess the multiple ending/paths theory makes sense. I'll certainly replay it to find out once they've put out more DLC/expansions.

RedSwirl

Snuggler said:
You have like 40 hours, get some red bull and some pampers and take care of that shit.

But I'm also dealing with Crysis 2 which I'm actually enjoying and I know I can finish within the next 48 hours (and I actually leave Thursday). I wanna take my time with TW2.

RedSwirl

MrBig said:
Thinking about getting this as my summer game. Is the playtime more comparable to Mass Effect or the Elder Scrolls games?

Probably ME. You probably won't be spending 100+ hours on one file.

Pooya

I'm early in chapter 2 and so far it's been an amazing game, it's not just the graphics that are so good (ch1 jungle during night, omg) everything comes together nicely;
Voice acting is much better than the first game, really funny sometimes. Ambient sound in the jungle is awesome.

The game can be quite hard even on normal, even regular enemies can kill you fast, combat is very satisfying but I feel it got quite a bit easier when I unlocked the ability that lets you damage multiple enemies at the same time (forgot the name). QTEs I'm not a fan of, and the first boss battle was terrible :| . overall I think it's one of the better combats I've seen in wRPGs.

Cutscenes are very well done, combined with crazy amount of DoF effects, it's a bit too much sometimes but looks great, in any moment in the game whole lots of things are happening on the screen, it's like nothing else. I'm enjoying the story so far, I think the dialogs are well done, quite funny sometimes. xD

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Destructoid's 6/10 officially initiated my quest to murder Jim Sterling.

Varna

toasty_T said:
Uhh, this going to get sticky.

If we're going to mention chapter 2 spoilers it would be worth saying which chapter 2.

Fuck. Sorry. Guess I'll start saying Human - Non-human side.

Complistic

TouchMyBox said:
I'm guessing I missed out on a lot of content in Chapter 2? I did every quest which was presented to me and I finished watching the credits after 18.3 hours. I really really enjoyed the game, I'm just slightly disappointed that there isn't more of it (especially coming from my 65 hour experience which lasted me months of the first game)

They've already got 3 free dlc planned to come out in the next couple months, but the game took me 30 hours and I play games really quickly so I've a feeling you missed a ton of stuff.

Varna said:
Fuck. Sorry. Guess I'll start saying Human - Non-human side.

It's all good man
There's an option to do him in on the other side too

I just thought of something CH3 non-human spoiler
What would have happened to Philippa in chapter 3 if I let the peasants hang Stennis?
:O

Complistic said:
They've already got 3 free dlc planned to come out in the next couple months, but the game took me 30 hours and I play games really quickly so I've a feeling you missed a ton of stuff.

I admittedly didn't explore every inch of chapter one, as I only did what quests presented themselves to me (or was easy to find), but I explored every place on the maps of chapters 2 and 3. I think Chapter 1 took me the longest to complete despite this. I plan on doing another play through in maybe a month when the game is all patched up and has a bunch of DLC so I can go and make all the opposite choices and experience any content I've missed.

Salaadin

Complistic said:

3 DLC planned? Whered you hear this?

Complistic

Salaadin said:
3 DLC planned? Whered you hear this?

The article I read seemed to have it wrong and they've since edited it. The only thing CD Projekt said is that they intend to add to the game through free dlc on a regular basis. Went for the link and was bummed to see that they were misinformed.

Exuro

Varna said:
Don't watch this program often, kind of funny that they gave it a 5/5. They barely even talk about the game.
That's not the actual program reviewing the game. Morgan on the right is saying that her show, Xplay, will be giving it a 5/5. They're just talking about the game for a bit, while her show will have the full review.

gdt

Yeah, still no email since ~9am. Figured they left work or something. Hopefully I'll have a response when I wake up! Wanna start this soon, almost-ish done with The Witcher 1 (I think so, anyway. Towards the end of Chapter III).

sflufan

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Yeah, still no email since ~9am. Figured they left work or something. Hopefully I'll have a response when I wake up! Wanna start this soon, almost-ish done with The Witcher 1 (I think so, anyway. Towards the end of Chapter III).

Nope, you're NOT almost done! :eek:P

RedSwirl

Yeah, taking a break on this. It's probably the only way I can avoid feeling terrible throughout my entire vacation. Kinda wish I'd bought a high-end laptop instead of my iPad, but whatever.

ok im getting pissed now... i was playin witcher 2 and everything was fine... and now the game just doesn't want to start anymore...

anybody else had this issue and no the solution?

toasty_T said:
no true neutral, you can try being as balanced as possible but it's not as easy as the first game.
You had to pick a side for some quests in the first game as well. Other than the decision in chapter 1 you can be neutral in following chapters. But no there isn't a neutral path to the game, just like there aren't scoiatel and order paths either.

spoiler for the whole game

By that I mean lifting the curse from Henselt and letting him live, rescuing Triss. All of those are fairly neutral and you don't end up siding with any political faction

After spending a couple of days with LA Noire I got stuck back into this last night.

Still in Chapter 1, done all side quests I can and about to fight the Krayan.

This fucking game! So many nice touches, couldn't stop laughing when I
woke up with a tattoo after getting smashed with Ves and the guys

Had one slight issue though, which only started happening last night - I get a popup error when loading the game that says "please insert disc". I just click cancel and the game still loads, but it is a bit annoying. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm running the GOG version.

sflufan

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Yep. Resent it too.

OK good -- just give it a bit of time. They're being bombarded by these requests because I'm pretty damned sure the vast majority of retail installations didn't work.

I'm about to hit Chapter 2 in my second playthrough, and it's official: the game looks better without bloom.

It's also interesting to see how much can be changed over a second playthrough. Can't wait to hit Chapter 2 and finally visit Vergen.

Zeliard

Revolutionary said:
I'm about to hit Chapter 2 in my second playthrough, and it's official: the game looks better without bloom.

It's also interesting to see how much can be changed over a second playthrough. Can't wait to hit Chapter 2 and finally visit Vergen.

lol what, you can miss that entire town altogether in a playthrough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom