• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are obviously some better builds for higher difficulties e.g. I breezed through Hard with Magic, I mean if your Quen lasts 2:59 how can you die?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm going through normal with a pure sword build but it's not that easy even in act 3. It's definitely bearable and now I have easy fights but every fight with humans and high-level enemies still requires a lot of effort.

Van Buren

subversus said:
I'm going through normal with a pure sword build but it's not that easy even in act 3. It's definitely bearable and now I have easy fights but every fight with humans and high-level enemies still requires a lot of effort.

If you are doing Roche's path, kill the optional boss. It's a must for a swordsman build.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
BoobPhysics101 said:
I think the one thing that defuses his bullshit claim of 'it's just my opinion' is the fact that it's touted as the 'Destructoid review' and he gave it a number score.

If you're just giving your opinion on a game, why review it? Hand it off to someone that's actually a PC gamer. If he was just writing an article about his opinion on the game, he could've done so. But no, he splashed it all over the front page as a 'review' and then yelled 'it's my opinion!' when he got called out for being a blatant troll. You don't need to give it an number score either if you're just offering your opinion.

Jim Sterling is a douchebag, no better than the Kotaku idiots. Trying to spin his review as anything other than an attention-whore for page hits is like grasping at straws.
I like how people say reviews are just opinions. If that was the case, why even have journalists? Hey I think this game's pretty good. There's your review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgI_GRcd7bc&feature=channel_video_title

It's like no one's ever watched this

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
subversus said:

Keep in mind that even if you aren't specced magic or alchemy you should still be making full use of signs, bombs and traps.

KareBear

I just got the Witcher 2 but im going to play through the original first which i only played for about 10 minutes till now.I also what to check out the other crpgs like the Witcher that came out in the last few years.I need a list of them.So far i can think of,

The Witcher enhanced edition
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Drakensang
Risen
Gothic 4?

are they any others?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Sinatar said:
Keep in mind that even if you aren't specced magic or alchemy you should still be making full use of signs, bombs and traps.

of course I do. I use far less traps now than in Chapter 1 where I was HUNTING.

I love how gargoyles are 1 hit kills with aard.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KareBear said:
I just got the Witcher 2 but im going to play through the original first which i only played for about 10 minutes till now.I also what to check out the other crpgs like the Witcher that came out in the last few years.I need a list of them.So far i can think of,

Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Drakensang
Risen
Gothic 4?

are they any others?

I'd cross Dragon Age 2 and Gothic 4 off that list. Both are very boring games.

Two Worlds II is apparently pretty good as well, but I didn't much enjoy the four hours or so I played of it. It's quite nice looking, though.

Divinity 2 is alright, too.

mileS

PatMcAtee said:
In Jim's defense, he did say that a lot of hardcore RPG fans would find this game fun, but that he did not see the game as stellar. He also had problems with the controls, which many other people have pointed out also. Also, the fact that you can't use potions, which are a big part of combat, DURING combat is seen as a possible design flaw, though in may have been a decision to ramp up the difficulty to; another valid point from Jim. He had a solid opinion overall of game.

So, it does look like in fact he was constructive, and through for the most part after actually READING the review (and not just quoting the score). He also gave 'props' where they were due, notably some of the combat and the graphics. None of his points were too vague or obtuse.

Some people just don't like 'teh best' games. He has a different OPINION than you. Why are you so mad? And did someone just say that Jim's score is dragging the the Metascore? I thought people in Gaf were beyond that. This site barely seems more intellectually profound than N4G half the time, for Christ's sake.

If you honestly think he gave props where it was due you probably haven't played the game for very long yet. Instead of talking about the more important things he wasted space with lack of fast travel and NPC's shutting doors in his face. I have no problem with somebody bringing that up if its how they feel, but don't waste space like that and forget to mention some of the more important things. Potions durning combat is not how the game was designed. The dev's have said they want you to use them to prepare for combat not to decide what to take in the middle of it. The only flaw there is him not understanding why.

I could care a less about the metascore or if his opinion is different but I take issue with a lazy ass review like that. If he's not trolling for hits he's clearly just really really bad at reviewing games.

Van Buren

KareBear said:

Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Drakensang
Risen
Gothic 4?

are they any others?
Scratch Gothic 4 off that list for the sake of your own sanity. Wait for a price drop on Dragon Age 2 if you really end up liking the first game. Actually, if you end up liking Drakensang a lot, get the sequel instead of DA 2. Off the top of my head, these are my recommendations to go with your list -
New Vegas
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga
Knights of the Old Republic 2 (with restored content)
Alpha Protocol (purely for its amazing choices and consequences)
Two Worlds II, but with a few reservations.

I just picked recent 3d WRPGs.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
subversus said:
has anyone tried alchemy build? is it doable?

I'm going to try that during my next playthrough since it seems to be the weakest tree. Hard mode + alchemy + Polish voices = fun

1stStrike

Banned
subversus said:
has anyone tried alchemy build? is it doable?

Alchemy is perfectly doable. Look at the perks it gives you. If you go full alchemy, so long as you gather enough materials to keep pumping out potions and bombs/traps, you'll have no issues destroying everything.

Regardless of your build I'd still put 2 points into dodge on the swordsman tree as that is an extremely valuable skill to have, but you can pretty much distribute points how you like and be successful as long as you play towards the strengths in your build.

zlatko

Banned
I went for a balance build myself. I got all 3 adrenaline related things out of the trees. Being able to do group finishers, make a space of slow, and go berserk makes you a power house. Plus, the upgrades to Quen maxed out pay for themselves. Dodging is pointless when you can afford to be hit around 2-5 times and each time it will stun multiple enemies so you can just hack away or roll away to set up whatever you want.

Kyaw

Mother of God

Just finished the game... I am amazed at the story and also a little disappointed by the lack of awesomeness in the ending.

Also Yennefer is going to be in The Witcher 3?

Saskia being a dragon, oh my gawd!

I let Letho live at the end too. (I went with Iorveth)

Did anyone get the Vran armour for the Mystic River quest? I simply didn't have enough money from blowing it all on the Dragon Scale armour back in Vergen.

Going for a second playthrough on hard with different choices tomorrow.
Shall i go for a sword heavy build or sign heavy build?

Also BRING ON WITCHER 3!

Kyaw said:
Going for a second playthrough on hard with different choices tomorrow.
Shall i go for a sword heavy build or sign heavy build?

Go Sings, the finisher is a bit more difficult to build up, but with improved Quen you will never die.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Sinatar said:
If you're really that stuck then just turn the difficulty down.
Got him! Finally :D I don't know what I did exactly, but a mixture of all of your hints (minus the difficulty setting one) did it. Thanks, GAF :)

PatMcAtee said:
Some people just don't like 'teh best' games. He has a different OPINION than you. Why are you so mad? And did someone just say that Jim's score is dragging the the Metascore? I thought people in Gaf were beyond that. This site barely seems more intellectually profound than N4G half the time, for Christ's sake.

Classy coming to defend Jimbo and insulting the community in the process, nice work on that seriously. And the problem with Sterling isn't that his opinions differ it's that he writes inane polemics where half of his opinions are based on misunderstanding the issues in ways which could be avoided if he just spent some time on Google; ya know, that little journalistic tradition called "research".

UrbanRats

Just started it myself.
I'm still at the beginning, and i'm having problem understanding how the stealth works.
It gave me a "stun" command ("Y" on the gamepad) but only once. :\
It's a bit clumsy on that side.
Other than that, everything else is amazing, so far.
The graphics (minus facial animations) are stunning, the combat is a lot of fun and it's not just about spamming the attack button (i'm playing on normal) and the story sounds great so far.

scy

Castor Krieg said:
...but with improved Quen you will never die.

So true. I think my next playthrough will probably force myself to not use Quen, if only for the sake of fights not being casting Quen whenever it's down.

Kyaw

Quen felt too cheap for me as well. I think i will try to avoid it as much as i can unless i'm gonna die very soon.

rabhw

Chapter 1 "Melitele's Heart" help please:
For the Melitele's Heart quest, it says I have 3/4 of the ingredients, even though I definitely have all of them. I have a bunch of Endraga embyros, a bunch of essence of death from the madhouse quest, the tongue which I got by winning the she-troll's head in poker, and the eyes which I looted after killing the Arachas...

The quest log says it should be Endraga "Fetuses", but the closest I can find are embryos, which I'm assuming are the same thing within the context of the game, and that it was simply a typing error on CDProject's part...

Help please :)

It appears as if I'm not the only one with this issue:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/bug_meliteles_heart_ingredients

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The hell is wrong with this game? The diversity, graphics, sound, voice acting, music, combat, lore, environments, AI and overall atmosphere is just superb. Can't believe I was gonna skip this game just because I'm playing it on 4:3. I've learned to love widescreen on 4:3 now :D

I'm maxing this out (and it still looks amazing even in 1024x768)... couldn't resist taking some pics ._. sorry guys.

6eXGR.jpg

ZSj7s.jpg

Ek5WW.jpg

More:
http://i.imgur.com/CV2b0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Yd7yC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/q52hm.jpg

rabhw

jim-jam bongs said:
You're good rabhw, it is just a translation error. You should be able to start the next phase now.

That's the thing though, I can't...

I go to the Witch-girl's house in Lobdinen and since the game thinks I still only have 3/4 of the ingredients, nothing changes to advance the quest, and thus I can't get her to prepare the spell that will fix the amulet.

zoner said:
I like how people say reviews are just opinions. If that was the case, why even have journalists? Hey I think this game's pretty good. There's your review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgI_GRcd7bc&feature=channel_video_title

It's like no one's ever watched this

That's a great video to link, thanks!

It is just like a movie critic: a movie critic doesn't give their opinion on how a movie is constructed nor do they technically deconstruct it. Only a few people would be interested in hearing that. Rather, a movie critic lets you know whether a movie is worth your time or not.

Just the same as I don't give a fuck whether a movie critic thinks a game is as good as whatever pretentious trash he watched in his Film Studies class, I don't give a fuck whether a game reviewer thinks a game meets HIS criteria for being 'worthy in his/her opinion.' I want to know whether it's a pass, rent, or must-buy.

rabhw said:
That's the thing though, I can't...

I go to the Witch-girl's house in Lobdinen and since the game thinks I still only have 3/4 of the ingredients, nothing changes to advance the quest, and thus I can't get her to prepare the spell that will fix the amulet.

Ah that's just quirky dialogue trees I think. Try this:

Talk to her about the amulet. Choose the "about the ritual" (or similar) option. She should then say "I can see that you have all of the ingredients..." and the next phase can commence.

Any luck?

rabhw

jim-jam bongs said:
Ah that's just quirky dialogue trees I think. Try this:

Talk to her about the amulet. Choose the "about the ritual" (or similar) option. She should then say "I can see that you have all of the ingredients..." and the next phase can commence.

Any luck?

Nope...but I found out the problem, no idea how to fix it though.

Somehow I'm missing the troll's tongue. I have the head, but for some reason the tongue is no longer in my inventory, I definitely didn't drop it or use it for alchemy, but it's gone...I tested by going and killing the troll himself and picking up his tongue, and it says 4/4 ingredients at that point...

I really don't want to kill him though, he's adorable :(

I don't see any way around it, but I don't want to kill the troll in case there are story repercussions later on...unless someone can confirm that there aren't, then I'll kill him I guess :(

Edit: Well, I found a workaround, someone made a mod that makes the troll tongue appear in the shop inventory for you to purchase, I guess I'll use that.

Psi

rabhw said:
Chapter 1 "Melitele's Heart" help please:
For the Melitele's Heart quest, it says I have 3/4 of the ingredients, even though I definitely have all of them. I have a bunch of Endraga embyros, a bunch of essence of death from the madhouse quest, the tongue which I got by winning the she-troll's head in poker, and the eyes which I looted after killing the Arachas...

The quest log says it should be Endraga "Fetuses", but the closest I can find are embryos, which I'm assuming are the same thing within the context of the game, and that it was simply a typing error on CDProject's part...

Help please :)

It appears as if I'm not the only one with this issue:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/bug_meliteles_heart_ingredients

Do you still have the troll tongue? I think I accidently used mine in alchemy to make that poison resistance potion. I had to kill the male troll to get another one later.

Edit:Nm, you figured it out.

Kyaw

Yoshichan said:
The hell is wrong with this game? The diversity, graphics, sound, voice acting, music, combat, lore, environments, AI and overall atmosphere is just superb. Can't believe I was gonna skip this game just because I'm playing it on 4:3. I've learned to love widescreen on 4:3 now :D

I'm maxing this out (and it still looks amazing even in 1024x768)... couldn't resist taking some pics ._. sorry guys.

http://i.imgur.com/6eXGR.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZSj7s.jpg
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ek5WW.jpg

More:
[url]http://i.imgur.com/CV2b0.jpg
[url]http://i.imgur.com/Yd7yC.jpg
[url]http://i.imgur.com/q52hm.jpg[/QUOTE]

duude, upload pics to www.abload.de please. Never use imgur! NEVER!!!

Also it's more like what's wrong with you? :P

rabhw said:
Nope...but I found out the problem, no idea how to fix it though.

Somehow I'm missing the troll's tongue. I have the head, but for some reason the tongue is no longer in my inventory, I definitely didn't drop it or use it for alchemy, but it's gone...I tested by going and killing the troll himself and picking up his tongue, and it says 4/4 ingredients at that point...

I really don't want to kill him though, he's adorable :(

I don't see any way around it, but I don't want to kill the troll in case there are story repercussions later on...unless someone can confirm that there aren't, then I'll kill him I guess :(

Edit: Well, I found a workaround, someone made a mod that makes the troll tongue appear in the shop inventory for you to purchase, I guess I'll use that.

Oh this fucking bug. Sorry, I forgot about this.

There is an autosave just after you loot the tongue, but apparently just before it arrives in your inventory. If you play from that save then the tongue will not be in your inventory and you have to go back to before you looted the troll.

Riposte

BoobPhysics101 said:
That's a great video to link, thanks!

It is just like a movie critic: a movie critic doesn't give their opinion on how a movie is constructed nor do they technically deconstruct it. Only a few people would be interested in hearing that. Rather, a movie critic lets you know whether a movie is worth your time or not.

Just the same as I don't give a fuck whether a movie critic thinks a game is as good as whatever pretentious trash he watched in his Film Studies class, I don't give a fuck whether a game reviewer thinks a game meets HIS criteria for being 'worthy in his/her opinion.' I want to know whether it's a pass, rent, or must-buy.

Jeff's take on this is like a shallow glance. Siskel said it best when he described writing a review akin to being a beat reporter describing a fire and that fire is your personal reaction to the movie. The more experienced(experience develops taste), technical(mechanically attuned), and introspective a writer is the better the piece. (EDIT: And unsurprisingly GiantBomb reviews are 90% useless information you can already find the game's article on their database or a game preview dated months earlier. Sprinkled in are very things like "and I like/dislike that.")

As for your second paragraph, whether something is a pass, rent, or must-buy(unworthy, average, worthy) is going to be decided by HIS criteria. Nonsensical.

EDIT: The main difference is that what is worth buying changes completely based on one's economic status and the price(which changes constantly, and doesn't matter all at within 2 years). Why should someone who can freely buy whatever he wants "buy" a shitty 5 dollar novelty (PSN/XBLA) game and "pass" a decent 60 dollar ("75" on metacritic) game? Time and sensation are way more valuable than money.

So I just beat the game, amazing.

I have two small gripes about that game that can be fixed, one is when you are cornered between a couple of enemies and they will wombo combo you to death and its very hard to get out of. The other is npc's will randomly keep walking into a object, for example Zoltan running into a npc and I had to follow him to the gate, he was literally stuck there for a few minutes and this happened a couple of times in the game.

Everything else was awesome and I will need to beat this game a few times to see different parts that I missed.

Bring on the DLC

Kyaw

Solo said:
Im only an hour into Chapter 2, and my quest log has added about 10 quests already. Daaamn.

That happened with me as well. I just feel so overwhelmed but one after another, i did them all! :)

Red

Man the bloom in W2 is awful. Turn it off and you get beauty like this:
CDB46CD2A6DEBBEC8DFFBD04B710CE3B665167F4

With bloom enabled, all your sun shafts turn into big white blobs. And Geralt is constantly glowing like he's radioactive or something.

I took a screen of Geralt so bloomy that all you could see was a white silhouette. For some reason it's not showing up on my Steam page now though.

The best part of W2's visuals on a technical level are, for me, the textures. They are triumphant, and put virtually everything else to shame. There's such a clarity here, lost in a day and age when so many big name titles are filtered through consoles before winding up on PC.

Finished this last night with the Roche path.

Played Geralt as a noble dude who saved people at every chance and let them live except for a few instances haha.

Looking forward to playing the other path now and even interested in playing the Roche path again to make all the different choices.

Love this game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, I love the DoF effect in Flotsam so much. It looks rike a painting, but it's all real game bits...so awesome.

MNC

Oh my God I only want this game for the pretty

There are some pretty cheap retailers selling this game, but I'd like to register it on steam. This probably isn't steamworks, is it :/

sflufan

Banned
MNC said:
Oh my God I only want this game for the pretty

There are some pretty cheap retailers selling this game, but I'd like to register it on steam. This probably isn't steamworks, is it :/

No, it's not.

Snuggler said:
Man, I love the DoF effect in Flotsam so much. It looks rike a painting, but it's all real game bits...so awesome.
Normally I hate DOF outside cut scenes, but in TW2 it does a great job of simulating the loss of clarity your vision suffers across medium to long distances. Also, the grass shading blows my mind. When a cloud passes over the sun and you see the shadow drift over the grass I usually stop whatever I'm doing so I can enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom