• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exuro said:
Getting closer to the end of chapter 1 on my replay, does Iorveth's voice get any more likeable? I loved it in the older trailer, but for some reason hated it when I met him on the fallen tree.
That's because both Letho and Iorveth have different actors than they did in the original trailer. I really liked Letho's original voice - can't say I'm a fan of the one they decided on.. the newer one is scratchier for no reason, making some lines somewhat humorous (such as "Mhm").

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
Sir Garbageman said:
I just completed that fight last night. Was a real pain in the ass, especially how there is no checkpoint right before it and you have to grind out 3 fights to get to the boss battle. Anyway, I didn't do anything particularly original. I just spammed the hell out of quen, rolled around like a maniac and exhausted all my bombs / daggers to whittle him down. Not sure if there is a trick to it, but that's how I took care of him.
knitoe said:
Use the trap spell then it becames easy.
Thanks man. Will do just that. I'm happy for once in a while there are actual challenges in RPG game. I guess it's been too long a boss in game really hand over my ass on a silver platter than just stood there acting pretty.

Anyone mind helping me with the puzzle in chapter 3
I killed a elemental golem now there are four signs on the wall and I have been stuck here trying to figure it out for awhile

Van Buren

GhostRidah said:
I killed a elemental golem now there are four signs on the wall and I have been stuck here trying to figure it out for awhile

If you buy the books from 'the incredible lockheart', you should be able to get descriptions for the runes art, time, sky and animal. Then look at the message on the pedestal in the same room as the golem - it should contain three sentences that contain words which are similar in meaning to the 4 runes. The last step is just to extinguish the runes in the room in the correct order as seen in the sentence.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How the FUCK am I supposed to beat
Letho
on Normal, Chapter 1?!

I want to get into Witcher 1 and 2 but i've heard that combat/gameplay is a little stiff and clunky while presentation and story/narrative are great..is this true?

Salaadin

Bufbaf said:
Letho
on Normal, Chapter 1?!

Keep your distance and strike him only when his Quen is down. If you have bombs or other ranged weapons, use them.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bigboss370 said:
I want to get into Witcher 1 and 2 but i've heard that combat/gameplay is a little stiff and clunky while presentation and story/narrative are great..is this true?

it's true for TW1. Once you get combat in TW2 it's fluid, fun and hard. Think Demon's Souls + Arkham Asylum.

GhostRidah said:
According to the Game Guide I got with the Collectors Edition
they're random
. Dunno if that's
per playthrough or per load...

Red

Is it just me or is W2 combat much harder than the first game? I'm playing on normal and getting my ass handed to me even in normal skirmishes. It's like I can't get the timing down or something, I'm getting hit while I'm out of range.

Bufbaf said:
Letho
on Normal, Chapter 1?!
Aard him in the face whenever he doesn't have Quen up, then follow up with 2-3 Heavy hits and retreat. Keep running away from him and around the room when his Quen is up so that it times out, as well as to avoid his attacks. During this time you should be able to regen your Vigor for the next round of attacks. Rinse and repeat. Put Quen up in case you keep getting tagged (remember: Vigor doesn't regen when Quen is up, so do it when you have full Vigor so you have one bar for Aard), but if you keep moving you shouldn't have any problems.

Van Buren

Crunched said:
Is it just me or is W2 combat much harder than the first game? I'm playing on normal and getting my ass handed to me even in normal skirmishes. It's like I can't get the timing down or something, I'm getting hit while I'm out of range.

Don't rely on swords alone. The game is balanced around making use of signs, traps and bombs as well, since that was something CDPR wanted to address for the sequel.

It takes a while to get used to enemy attack patterns and ranges. Till then, do whatever is needed to survive, even if it means playing more defensively that you are accustomed to.

Riposte

subversus said:
it's true for TW1. Once you get combat in TW2 it's fluid, fun and hard. Think Demon's Souls + Arkham Asylum.

Basically what Assassin's Creed should be, except you never level up, so stealth is always preferable to fighting unless there are only two or three guys.

Kyaw

Can anyone tell me where i can get some studded leather in Chapter 3 please? I need it for the Vran armour to complete Mystic River quest.

nvm, found the diagram.

Leucrota

zlatko said:
I like reading the lower score reviews sometimes from less known sites, because you can see them point out things that others may have missed out on, and are worthy of having been a bigger complaint by those who praised it.

Jim Sterling does not do this. He makes shit up, makes vague and obtuse points, and sells it off as fact. 9/10 of his reviews are just like this Witcher 2 one if not worse.

If you can't come away from The Witcher 2 impressed, or at least know when to give props when props are due, then you suck at your fucking job or are just trolling like Jim is. For me when I played RDR I wasn't super impressed to name it GOTY like so many others did, but I GET what others saw. I GET why it is a game worth worthy of high scores and praise.

Guys like Jim and dickwads who make ? articles or "Console War is over, X console has won," just get right under my skin, because I bust my hump trying to do reviews with being constructive and thorough. I want to be able to back up my claims and offer some insight, and even if people agree with my scores or not I hope they at least can end up respecting my opinion enough to warrant reading other reviews in the future.

I could just skip that whole process and pull a HipHopGamer every few days to make a, "God of War 4 coming to Xbox 360?" Article, submit it to n4g.com, and watch the site I work on get tons of hits.

/rant.

In Jim's defense, he did say that a lot of hardcore RPG fans would find this game fun, but that he did not see the game as stellar. He also had problems with the controls, which many other people have pointed out also. Also, the fact that you can't use potions, which are a big part of combat, DURING combat is seen as a possible design flaw, though in may have been a decision to ramp up the difficulty to; another valid point from Jim. He had a solid opinion overall of game.

So, it does look like in fact he was constructive, and through for the most part after actually READING the review (and not just quoting the score). He also gave 'props' where they were due, notably some of the combat and the graphics. None of his points were too vague or obtuse.

Some people just don't like 'teh best' games. He has a different OPINION than you. Why are you so mad? And did someone just say that Jim's score is dragging the the Metascore? I thought people in Gaf were beyond that. This site barely seems more intellectually profound than N4G half the time, for Christ's sake.

Van Buren

subversus said:
switch to easy or be ready to fight him for a long time.

He went down like a sack of bricks on Hard. Lasted a couple of minutes at most. The strong attack does crazy amounts of damage to bosses.

Riposte

Yeah, I just realized.

If you want NeoGAF to solve the game for you... just play on Easy. What is the point of playing on Normal or Hard?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the game last night. Absolutely loved it. I don't normally do this with RPGs, but I'm actually tempted to play through again and choose Roche this time.

Van Buren said:
He went down like a sack of bricks on Hard. Lasted a couple of minutes at most. The strong attack does crazy amounts of damage to bosses.
I think a lot of people don't realize Aard strips casters of Quen.

Bufbaf said:
Letho
on Normal, Chapter 1?!
Yrden usually breaks Quen and stuns him briefly. Run up, do a few strongs. Roll away. Repeat. Mix in some bombs for added flavor. I was an Alchemist so bombs were doing double damage for me. Hangman Oil helps too.

thetrin said:
I think a lot of people don't realize Aard strips casters of Quen.
Quen is stopped in two ways, it's time limit expiring or it's damage absorption filling up.

Aard is great for stopping a caster from completing the Quen sign, but daggers are best for that.

subversus

Damn. I should've known.

Anyway I really love adrenaline mechanic. I was fighting my first elementhal in Chapter 3, thinking that I had to reload again since I had 5% of health remaining, then X started glowing. I didn't expect that it would work for "boss" monsters.

also group finishers are very useful too.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm about to be done with Witcher 1, will probably buy 2 tonight. How are the animations when you talk to people in the sequel? I swear some Witcher 1 animations felt like the character in front of me was having a seizure or some shit, and other times the animations just didn't make any sense with what they were saying. What about lips synch?

Just died on Insane, nothing I could've done:

Fight with Vincent Traut, my back to the wall, he immediately starts swinging, 2 hits, I'm dead

Oh well, finished on Hard the other day, now I'm going to take a break. Later on I might run on Easy for fun 10-slot Mutagen build.

subversus

Bisnic said:
I'm about to be done with Witcher 1, will probably buy 2 tonight. How are the animations when you talk to people in the sequel? I swear some Witcher 1 animations felt like the character in front of me was having a seizure or some shit, and other times the animations just didn't make any sense with what they were saying. What about lips synch?

lips synch is good, animations are motion captured but mimic could be MUCH more expressive. It's there but very "subtle". They have to improve it in TW3.

Van Buren

Castor Krieg said:
Just died on Insane, nothing I could've done:

Fight with Vincent Traut, my back to the wall, he immediately starts swinging, 2 hits, I'm dead

Oh well, finished on Hard the other day, now I'm going to take a break. Later on I might run on Easy for fun 10-slot Mutagen build.

How different are the enemy tactics on Insane ? Hard was manageable with preparation, but I think Insane might require min-maxing to get 6 mutagen slots or 2 adrenaline moves to survive. That, and a lot of luck.

Van Buren said:
How different are the enemy tactics on Insane ? Hard was manageable with preparation, but I think Insane might require min-maxing to get 6 mutagen slots or 2 adrenaline moves to survive. That, and a lot of luck.

Tactics are the same, enemies take the same amount of hits to kill as on Hard I think. I was going for 10 mutagens build, but if I'm going to do it on Easy there's no point, might as well have fun with Alchemy.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Revolutionary said:
Aard him in the face whenever he doesn't have Quen up, then follow up with 2-3 Heavy hits and retreat. Keep running away from him and around the room when his Quen is up so that it times out, as well as to avoid his attacks. During this time you should be able to regen your Vigor for the next round of attacks. Rinse and repeat. Put Quen up in case you keep getting tagged (remember: Vigor doesn't regen when Quen is up, so do it when you have full Vigor so you have one bar for Aard), but if you keep moving you shouldn't have any problems.
Tried all that, no dice. I barely damage him, and he always keeps his damn spells up, regardless of how many vigor he should have left, thus almost always having
Quen up, and when he doesn't, he hits me with sword (FUCKING ROLL) or magic or bombs or whatever
. I really had to keep myself from throwing the damn pad against the wall and will have to somehow force myself tomorrow to start this shit up. It's been three! hours since I got there. Damn, I wanna scream :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bufbaf said:
Tried all that, no dice. I barely damage him, and he always keeps his damn spells up, regardless of how many vigor he should have left, thus almost always having
Quen up, and when he doesn't, he hits me with sword (FUCKING ROLL) or magic or bombs or whatever
. I really had to keep myself from throwing the damn pad against the wall and will have to somehow force myself tomorrow to start this shit up. It's been three! hours since I got there. Damn, I wanna scream :(

If you're really that stuck then just turn the difficulty down.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
Thats the one! Can't get it out of my head!

I personally can't get the main menu theme out of my head.

PatMcAtee said:
In Jim's defense, he did say that a lot of hardcore RPG fans would find this game fun, but that he did not see the game as stellar. He also had problems with the controls, which many other people have pointed out also. Also, the fact that you can't use potions, which are a big part of combat, DURING combat is seen as a possible design flaw, though in may have been a decision to ramp up the difficulty to; another valid point from Jim. He had a solid opinion overall of game.

So, it does look like in fact he was constructive, and through for the most part after actually READING the review (and not just quoting the score). He also gave 'props' where they were due, notably some of the combat and the graphics. None of his points were too vague or obtuse.

Some people just don't like 'teh best' games. He has a different OPINION than you. Why are you so mad? And did someone just say that Jim's score is dragging the the Metascore? I thought people in Gaf were beyond that. This site barely seems more intellectually profound than N4G half the time, for Christ's sake.

I think the one thing that defuses his bullshit claim of 'it's just my opinion' is the fact that it's touted as the 'Destructoid review' and he gave it a number score.

If you're just giving your opinion on a game, why review it? Hand it off to someone that's actually a PC gamer. If he was just writing an article about his opinion on the game, he could've done so. But no, he splashed it all over the front page as a 'review' and then yelled 'it's my opinion!' when he got called out for being a blatant troll. You don't need to give it an number score either if you're just offering your opinion.

Jim Sterling is a douchebag, no better than the Kotaku idiots. Trying to spin his review as anything other than an attention-whore for page hits is like grasping at straws.

Bufbaf said:
Well, these guys are suggesting that if you cast Aard while he has Quen up, that it'll take it off of him so you don't have to run around like I suggested waiting for it to time out. I don't know if that's true, though (kinda hope it isn't since that means I ran around like a madman for nothing lol).
Sorry man. That strategy worked for me just last night on Hard. Maybe it's the controller. lol

As for "barely damaging him"... don't worry about that. You're closer than you think. Keep at it.

scorpscarx said:
Is the patch live yet?
I don't think it is but the last time they updated their blog was yesterday.

I believe the patch is being updated with the DRM performance bug fix, but it hopefully should be out today or tomorrow. Guessing the AMD drivers will hit a day or two later.

Enkidu

Bufbaf said:
Have you got the improved dodge talent? It's really useful and makes evading attacks a whole lot easier.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The problem is in the amount of vitality, had I not upgraded my vitality and gotten tons from armor and armor enhancements then I would be 2-3 shotted endgame just like the start of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom