• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ColonialRaptor said:
I dislike and totally disagree with these comments sorry.

I REALLY enjoy the game play. I enjoy the game play more than any other RPG that I've ever played.

I enjoy fighting so much that I look forward to the grind of battling enemies more than any other RPG I've ever played.

That is your opinion. Definitely not fact.
Absolutely. It's not standards either. Some games have a draw and some have a more niche feel that has high praise. The gameplay in this is great and has enough depth and fun swordplay that it's hard to fault. I wouldn't comment saying this is my favorite PC RPG ever if I didn't think so. And that's not discounting that I've been playing PC games for 18 years.

ColonialRaptor said:

I respect your opinion, and I'm glad you enjoy the game, but I'm reasonably confident in being able to state that TW2 isn't certainly a crowning achievement of gameplay.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sigh, still can't download my so fucking called " day 1 free dlc" bullshit.

edit : fuck the dlc, can someone atleast tell me how to get the witcher 1 save import working properly? I had no directory so I made a user/documents/the witcher/saves/ and put the savefile in there, but trying to start a new game and it won't let me import, says it's not available.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mentioned before, but holy crap, this game has screwed me over for textures, they are just insanely detailed and clear, to the point you can see the individual threads in stitching! It's going to be hard to back to other games I have in my backlog with those huge blurry textures smeared over characters.

RedSwirl said:
Where do you collect your free GOG game anyway? And which one is the best? I don't think I've actually heard of any of them.

Check for an e-mail, there should be a link, or google for the web page that gives it to you, GOG has some page on their site that when you're logged in it brings up the link to click along with providing you your TW2 serial #.

Divine Divinity is the most accessible choice, sort of a Diablo/Fallout hybrid, Gothic 2 is a great open world difficult RPG with a bit of clunky controls and poor UI, and Arkania 2/3 are both great, but extremely, extremely old school, so that will be a deterrent to a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
VisanidethDM said:
I respect your opinion, and I'm glad you enjoy the game, but I'm reasonably confident in being able to state that TW2 isn't certainly a crowning achievement of gameplay.

Definitely not, but it's certainly an improvement over the gameplay found in the first title in many ways, and it's sufficiently good as to not drag the quality of the game down.

ColonialRaptor said:
I dislike and totally disagree with these comments sorry.

I REALLY enjoy the game play. I enjoy the game play more than any other RPG that I've ever played.

I enjoy fighting so much that I look forward to the grind of battling enemies more than any other RPG I've ever played.

Agreed.

I loved the combat starting the endreaga(sp?) contract which felt like a fucking real hunt. Preparation, traps, anticipation... total immersion.

I actually want more combat in this game, chapter 1 had only like 15 instances of combat.

Van Buren said:
So the use of items, which worked up until then, and have no reason to stop working, is an exploit ? What's next ? The decrying of Baldur's Gate 2 to be "embarassing" because the "ultimate encounter" of Kangaxx can be trivialized by the use of a scroll ?

There is no logical reason for the boss to suddenly have immunities against bombs. There are bosses against whom the same strategy does not work as well, and it makes sense for them.

Again, the problem isn't the use of items, it's the implementation. I'm not bothered by bombs being useful, I'm bothered by being able to spamm 5 bombs in 6 seconds, run to another corner, watch the boss whack at the space I was occupying 5 seconds ago, spamm more bombs, repeat.

This isn't about killing a boss in FFVII with an healing spell because he's an undead. This is about poorly implemented gameplay mechanics.

Let's not devolve this into an argument over bashing a good game. I've stated my opinion, let's move on to praising the game.

mxgt

Banned
I really love how this game doesn't hold your hand on a lot of quests and makes you go out, explore and find the objective yourself.

Deadly

Finished Act 3 with the other path. With actual good equipment, it is actually very easy like everyone says. Except the fight with
the Operator

Salaadin

VisanidethDM said:
Again, the problem isn't the use of items, it's the implementation. I'm not bothered by bombs being useful, I'm bothered by being able to spamm 5 bombs in 6 seconds, run to another corner, watch the boss whack at the space I was occupying 5 seconds ago, spamm more bombs, repeat.

You have a point here. I think its kinda dumb that I cant spam the block button because I dont have enough Vigor but Im able to run circles around enemies while bomb spamming. If you ask me, it should be reversed so that early on its not such a chore to go toe to toe with an enemy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Corky said:
can someone atleast tell me how to get the witcher 1 save import working properly? I had no directory so I made a user/documents/the witcher/saves/ and put the savefile in there, but trying to start a new game and it won't let me import, says it's not available.

God damn it I can't figure this shit out and there's nothing on the net to help me with this garbage. I really want to start my 2nd playthrough but since I can't download the frigging dlc I thought I might aswell play with one of the saves from the OP, but that doesn't work either. ....w.gs.rhrehase.heohmihujniuehngaiuejngaigejiuogrganhriua¨gtreo kih

edit : scratch that, uninstalled the game instead. 2nd playthrough happens when the game isn't broken.

Corky said:
Sigh, still can't download my so fucking called " day 1 free dlc" bullshit.

You can source the DLC files from other places and just place them in your directory I think... a mate of mine from work brought his DLC file on a USB stick because his was working and mine wasn't and I copied it to the game directory and viola, I had the Troll Trouble DLC.

Salaadin

Solo said:
Can someone post the link to get Troll Trouble? My launcher isn't working right either.

He posted this last page:
Confidence Man said:
Yeah it worked, it's just a dzip file you drop in the CookedPC folder. The download came with all the other preorder DLCs too, though I'm not sure how legit it is to link given CDP's whole idea here is to prevent any downloads outside of their own launcher (i.e. only registered users are supposed to get it). Here's the thread from gog, anyway:

http://ip-70-38-122-100.static.priv...itcher_2/troll_troble_download_problem/post31

EDIT: AMD card owners:

Ningo said:
"Update - we will have Brink and Witcher 2 hotfix driver released this week. (hoping in the next couple of days). Stay tuned" @catalystcreator

Stolen from the performance thread

LiquidMetal14

Troll Trouble, someone point me in the right direction please!

I've talked to him but now I just need to know where to go.

Salaadin said:
He posted this last page:

EDIT: AMD card owners:

Stolen from the performance thread
They've said that for days. We need it now! Not that I'm unhappy but I hope the game patch and this hit simultaneously. Would be an epic win to see 2 things that improve the game tremendously.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Troll Trouble, someone point me in the right direction please!

I've talked to him but now I just need to know where to go.

Talked to the troll?

It's fairly simple? If you select that quest in your journal doesn't it just send u to the next person with an arrow on your mini map? If not -> here is what to do specifically, don't highlight if you don't want directions.

Go to the Inn and speak to a guy in the middle of the basement (he isn't usually there). Then go the Lobinden Graveyard and kill the dudes there. That's it.

To fully complete it, you'll have to do the dice quest and trade your Dice victory for the Troll Lady's Head and give it to the Troll as well

ColonialRaptor said:
Go to the Inn and speak to a guy in the middle of the basement (he isn't usually there). Then go the Lobinden Graveyard and kill the dudes there. That's it.

To fully complete it, you'll have to do the dice quest and trade your Dice victory for the Troll Lady's Head and give it to the Troll as well

Then to really 110% it:
You would also have to have Melitele's Heart quest - if you win the head you will also get a troll tongue, which is the only non-violent way of getting this ingredient

LiquidMetal14

ColonialRaptor said:
Talked to the troll?

It's fairly simple? If you select that quest in your journal doesn't it just send u to the next person with an arrow on your mini map? If not -> here is what to do specifically, don't highlight if you don't want directions.

Hmm, the arrow didn't pop up but yes, I did talk to the troll already. Thanks, will look into it or maybe just click on another journal entry and then back to see if I get the arrow.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
The ending. Holy shit. I know people were disappointed with the last act, but I was blown away. I loved that
I didn't have to fight Letho

dionysus

Yaldog
Corky said:
God damn it I can't figure this shit out and there's nothing on the net to help me with this garbage. I really want to start my 2nd playthrough but since I can't download the frigging dlc I thought I might aswell play with one of the saves from the OP, but that doesn't work either. ....w.gs.rhrehase.heohmihujniuehngaiuejngaigejiuogrganhriua¨gtreo kih

edit : scratch that, uninstalled the game instead. 2nd playthrough happens when the game isn't broken.

I put the witcher 1 save file in the existing witcher 2 save files folder and it found it.

Also, for troll trouble, where can I find some vodka so I can actually speak to the troll.

I gave up on quick patches/drivers, I'll just go on through with my first play through (which runs near perfect @1600p anyways lolz). Then maybe next year or before major dlc, i.e when the game is fully patched, I'll do my 2nd play through via steam choosing Iorveth and with polish vo, it should be 16:10 patched, too, maybe I'll even be able to do it with uber sampling.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Archie said:
The ending. Holy shit. I know people were disappointed with the last act, but I was blown away. I loved that

Agreed 100%.

Killing Letho wouldn't change anything that was happening anyway, and (my) Geralt knew that.

Veal said:
Has the Steam Collectors Edition gotten it's DLC yet? the behind the scenes, album and whatnot?

Yea,

Go to view->tools

Scroll down until you see the Witcher 2:Bonus Content.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pankaks said:
Agreed 100%.

Killing Letho wouldn't change anything that was happening anyway, and (my) Geralt knew that.
Same. It seemed more in character
not to kill Letho. I didn't see any point. He defended Triss from the hordes of bloodthirsty soldiers, he gives me all the information I want, and in the end, even shares vodka with me. He did what he did to restore the house of the viper. I can sympathize. In the end, most of the kings were pitiful warmongers. No love lost. After that conversation with Letho, I didn't feel any urge to kill him. I found out what I needed to know.

Deadly

The only complaint about the gameplay I'd have to give would be the inconsistency. While it does add more flair and all for Geralt to attack in different ways (only the first attack) it screws everything up. I mean sometimes he's going to leap super far and do this long ass 4-spin attack, sometimes roll and poke, sometimes dash and stab, sometimes a long ass heavy attack etc. It screws up all the planning involved. Also the target moves way too sporadically. Yes yes I know lock-on exists but mapped on alt, it's not very well utilizable in combat.

Riposte

The main problem with enemies in this game is their mobility(and perhaps the game doesn't scale well with Geralt). Makes an upgraded dodge too good. This is most obvious during 1 v 1 fights. (Not the highlight of the combat system.)

On the other hand, playing on Hard makes everything riskier, even a ranged attack approach. The guy gets hit three times, he would be dead lol. What was most fun about that boss(though not so much the final boss) was finding out what to do with all the tools you had.

Deadly said:
The only complaint about the gameplay I'd have to give would be the inconsistency. While it does add more flair and all for Geralt to attack in different ways (only the first attack) it screws everything up. I mean sometimes he's going to leap super far and do this long ass 4-spin attack, sometimes roll and poke, sometimes dash and stab, sometimes a long ass heavy attack etc. It screws up all the planning involved. Also the target moves way too sporadically. Yes yes I know lock-on exists but mapped on alt, it's not very well utilizable in combat.

There might be a way to control it completely. I don't know what activates the 4 attack spin though, it might be a chance critical hit, given how much damage it does. Other than that, when I am rolling a lot, I am usually getting the attack I want.

Van Buren

Archie said:

Ending spoilers :
I still haven't made up my mind on whether Letho is a villain or not. On one hand, he kills Foltest, one of the best characters in the game, and Cedric the elf. On the other hand, he took care of Yennefer, rescues and protects Triss during the events in Act 3, repeatedly shows reluctance to fight Geralt and provides missing pieces of Geralt's memory. His ultimate goal seems to be the resurrection of the Witcher School of the Viper. If anything, I trusted him more than most of the 'good' characters.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Van Buren said:
Ending spoilers :
I still haven't made up my mind on whether Letho is a villain or not. On one hand, he kills Foltest, one of the best characters in the game, and Cedric the elf. On the other hand, he took care of Yennefer, rescues and protects Triss during the events in Act 3, repeatedly shows reluctance to fight Geralt and provides missing pieces of Geralt's memory. His ultimate goal seems to be the resurrection of the Witcher School of the Viper. If anything, I trusted him more than most of the 'good' characters.

And that is why TW2 is so awesome. Shades of gray that make characters more interesting instead of cartoonish archetypes. I thought Iorveth was a giant douche at the beginning but I really warmed up to his character at the end.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly said:

I mentioned this a few pages ago, but this is definitely my main problem with the combat. You never quite know exactly what Geralt will do, how far his lunge will move him forward, how long it will take him to swing, etc... I'm still tearing through the game on Hard, but it would have been nice if Geralt's attacks were a bit more consistent.

Also, has anyone else experienced a bug where you press the use quick item button to throw a bomb, but it fails for whatever reason (too far away? environmental obstacles?) and the controls proceed to kind of break (can't roll, can't swing your sword, etc...) until you get hit? It's like Geralt gets stuck in some animation lock. It happened to me a couple times during my first playthrough of the game, and twice last night in the prologue alone.

Salaadin

Zefah said:
I mentioned this a few pages ago, but this is definitely my main problem with the combat. You never quite know exactly what Geralt will do, how far his lunge will move him forward, how long it will take him to swing, etc... I'm still tearing through the game on Hard, but it would have been nice if Geralt's attacks were a bit more consistent.

Also, has anyone else experienced a bug where you press the use quick item button to throw a bomb, but it fails for whatever reason (too far away? environmental obstacles?) and the controls proceed to kind of break (can't roll, can't swing your sword, etc...) until you get hit? It's like Geralt gets stuck in some animation lock. It happened to me a couple times during my first playthrough of the game, and twice last night in the prologue alone.

Its weird...in Act 1, Id get unresponsive controls all the time. In Act 2, I havent had a single issue yet.

Back to your question, yeah, thats happened to me. Not only with bombs with with magic, sword swings, etc. Sometimes it just didnt work. Other times, the game acted like I had a directional key pressed constantly. Geralt would stop anytime I pressed WASD but the moment I let go, he started running. Very weird.

Jenga

Banned
what really warmed me up to iorveth is
his dream. he just wants to settle down in a nice home, with the fire crackling while he has plenty of food and drink while puffing a nice smoke-pipe. a very admirable dream imo

Zefah said:

Happened to me twice yesterday, iirc it started when I tried to throw a bomb and then I couldn't do anything. Weird.

Salaadin

Regarding controller support, a friend of mine only has a Logitech Rumblepad. Does this game only support the 360 controller? Any tweaks to get others working?

RedSwirl

Minsc said:
Mentioned before, but holy crap, this game has screwed me over for textures, they are just insanely detailed and clear, to the point you can see the individual threads in stitching! It's going to be hard to back to other games I have in my backlog with those huge blurry textures smeared over characters.

Check for an e-mail, there should be a link, or google for the web page that gives it to you, GOG has some page on their site that when you're logged in it brings up the link to click along with providing you your TW2 serial #.

Divine Divinity is the most accessible choice, sort of a Diablo/Fallout hybrid, Gothic 2 is a great open world difficult RPG with a bit of clunky controls and poor UI, and Arkania 2/3 are both great, but extremely, extremely old school, so that will be a deterrent to a lot of people.

I haven't been able to log in to GOG through the launcher. It always times out or crashes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Archie said:
And that is why TW2 is so awesome. Shades of gray that make characters more interesting instead of cartoonish archetypes. I thought Iorveth was a giant douche at the beginning but I really warmed up to his character at the end.
I loved Iorveth. I was worried he was going to be a villain the entire game, and he ended up being very likable. I'm very happy I chose to go with him to Vergen in Chapter 2.

Exuro

Getting closer to the end of chapter 1 on my replay, does Iorveth's voice get any more likeable? I loved it in the older trailer, but for some reason hated it when I met him on the fallen tree.

Salaadin

How About No said:
30 hours in and I'm not even done with Chapter 2! I think I may hit the magic 40 hour mark.

Me too! I think Act 2 is almost over for me but when I do a quick estimate of my time playing, I gotta be near 28 hours.

Zzoram said:
How many chapters are there?
Prologue - Act 1 - Act 2 - Act 3 - Epilogue

Act 3 is supposed to be very short though.

knitoe

After finishing game, restart and all my old save files are gone. Bug or suppose to happen? Another thing, changed difficulty to insane, didn't know that if you die, game over, but how do you remove those non accessible save files? Deleted them from My Documents, but I still see them in the load screen which you can't access.

Mercuryvoid

Neo Member
In the act 2, quest Eternal Battle, I'm up to the point where
Geralt enter the mist and get possessed by couple of the ghost, until the time where he face the big wooden monster (Draugh?). Dude keep bashing me with his shield and swipe me with his gigantic sword.
Can anyone give a tip for handling that wooden nemesis? Thanks in advance, guys.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As I earlier posted, I wasnt linking TW2 much, especially since I reached Floatsam.
But as it turns out, TW2 is turning out like TW1 experience for me. Not liked initially but loved as I got hang of. Now I am loving the shit out of TW2. Still in Floatsam and hoping for nice times ahead.

Mercuryvoid said:
Geralt enter the mist and get possessed by couple of the ghost, until the time where he face the big wooden monster (Draugh?). Dude keep bashing me with his shield and swipe me with his gigantic sword.
Can anyone give a tip for handling that wooden nemesis? Thanks in advance, guys.

I just completed that fight last night. Was a real pain in the ass, especially how there is no checkpoint right before it and you have to grind out 3 fights to get to the boss battle. Anyway, I didn't do anything particularly original. I just spammed the hell out of quen, rolled around like a maniac and exhausted all my bombs / daggers to whittle him down. Not sure if there is a trick to it, but that's how I took care of him.

knitoe

Mercuryvoid said:
Use the trap spell then it becames easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom