• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyaw

Harry_Tequila said:
Chapter 1.

The fight against Letho is impossible, just died for about the 17th time. Don't understand what I'm supposed to do when the odds are stacked so much against you.

Shield up, avoid the enemy's blows and bombs. Wait for his shield to go down, strike him 3 times and Aard. Rinse and repeat.

Stahsky said:
Roll alot. Bombs are a nice plus. Whenever he shield himself, just stay away from him. An Aard on him from time to time helps, and if you are quick, you can really lay him down hard with a combination of 2-3 swings, aard, two swings, roll back, bomb. Eventually he will knock you around or shield up, so if you don't want to risk that, stick with the simple roll around and strike when he shield is down.

The fight is not nearly as bad as it seems once you know how he fights. Never stay close to him for too long.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. Unfortunately, as soon as you move away from him for a second he puts the shield up and is invicible for about 30 seconds, during which time he's firing off the fireballs which knock off about half your health.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Harry_Tequila said:
That's pretty much what I've been doing. Unfortunately, as soon as you move away from him for a second he puts the shield up and is invicible for about 30 seconds, during which time he's firing off the fireballs which knock off about half your health.

That's where the roll comes in. Simply don't stop rolling left or right depending on his position. He never hit me with anything ranged while doing this. But if you are having a problem with this, shield up like Kyaw said.

Edit: What spec are you?

Enkidu

Harry_Tequila said:
Have you got the roll talent? It's pretty much mandatory for any type of combat in this game regardless of your spec. Once you have that, it should be quite simple to evade his bombs and fireballs.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
LiquidMetal14 said:
So does everyone here simply replay from the beginning or from a certain point to get different story arcs? Like when you
can choose to give Triss the rose of remembrance?

Yep, highly recommend it. it adds another 50% of unique gameplay, and it also gives you a lot more perspective on what's going on in the Witcher's world.

Finally did it, it was a particularly nice surprise when the fight ended with his health still at 1/3. Got the dodging at long distance down and it wasn't so bad after that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kyaw said:
With 200% roll distance upgrade, combat is damn easy.

Add Quen III and some vigor upgrades, you're pretty much invincible against normal enemies.

Echoplx

Product CD Project, a subsidiary of Optimus, the first five days of sales around the world bought up to 212 thousand. customers. 167 thousand. came from Europe and Asia, and the rest of North and South America.

Total sales of gaming PCs in Europe and Asia, between 14 and 21 May amounted to 263 thousand. copies. This means that "The Witcher 2" was up 63.5 percent of the cake on the market. Customers in the Americas at that time purchased 129.5 thousand. PC games. One third of them chose the "Witcher 2"

source

Zomba13

So I've been playing this. I think I'm almost done with Chapter 1. Liking these opening hours a lot more than in The Witcher 1. It's also a stunningly good looking game.
Not a fan of the difficulty/fighting. It seems like everything is on hard mode with me taking up to 10+ goes on bosses and getting slaughtered by groups of regular enemies. I much preferred the styles of the first game where you had the AoE style for taking care of groups. Blocking is also clunky with needing Vigor to block (wtf is up with that?) and not being able to down potions in battle (No healing potions!?). Also sometimes it seems like my items don't work, like Geralt won't throw a bomb when I've got it in the slot (and yes, I have bombs and aren't empty). Also random glitches like controls freezing up sometimes are annoying and it running at 7FPS unless I fully uninstall my 3D vision drivers is stupid.

That said though, I'm loving it. I love how it pretty much continues right where the first one left off. Not happy about starting without my 8000 Orens the King paid Geralt at the end of the first game (I don't care that the purse got broken in the fight. The king should have picked up those coins as thanks for saving his life). Bit disappointed with how weak the equipment carried over were too, though surprised they did. I knew about the Raven armour but didn't expect my swords.

EDIT: Also wtf is up with the dice? I had to get the simple/classic dice mod to be able to read them. They are pretty though, just not practical.

Kyaw

Pankaks said:
Add Quen III and some vigor upgrades, you're pretty much invincible against normal enemies.

Oh yeah. I'm going for Magic build this time around and Igni is just burning down a lot of enemies easily.

Binabik15

Kyaw said:
Shield up, avoid the enemy's blows and bombs. Wait for his shield to go down, strike him 3 times and Aard. Rinse and repeat.

I´ve had a ot of success with Yrd. Dodge the Igni and bombs, lay down an Yrd trap, roll back, wait for the enemy to advance. Dodge towards the enemy´s side or back, hack away until Yrd expires and distance yourself again. Quen is of course activated.

I have a boss fight question myself, chapter two: The
Draug/Army Commander

I´ve tried it three times or more with Quen, Yrd, dodging and my trusty sword. I was still hit while dodging, blocking knocked me around etc. Riposting didn´t work, either, because there was no lock-on symbol, at least that I coud see.

I managed to win by spamming Yrd and throwing tons of knives, because I didn´t want to risk getting close and personal, only to die and do the pre-fight fights again and again. But the character design is so fantastic and the mood and colour palette of the environment so moody that the fight shoud be an epic duel, not spamming R.

Any strategies for the time I replay the game?

Sober

Binabik15 said:
Draug/Army Commander

Was that on normal? I thought he was a pushover on normal, all I did was
dodge his charge and then spam heavy attacks on his exposed backside, did it in 3 charges

gokieks

Binabik15 said:
I´ve had a ot of success with Yrd. Dodge the Igni and bombs, lay down an Yrd trap, roll back, wait for the enemy to advance. Dodge towards the enemy´s side or back, hack away until Yrd expires and distance yourself again. Quen is of course activated.

Draug/Army Commander

I´ve tried it three times or more with Quen, Yrd, dodging and my trusty sword. I was still hit while dodging, blocking knocked me around etc. Riposting didn´t work, either, because there was no lock-on symbol, at least that I coud see.

I managed to win by spamming Yrd and throwing tons of knives, because I didn´t want to risk getting close and personal, only to die and do the pre-fight fights again and again. But the character design is so fantastic and the mood and colour palette of the environment so moody that the fight shoud be an epic duel, not spamming R.

Avoid the arrows/meteors, roll out of his charge, then hack at his back with strong silver attacks. It turned out to be a really easy fight, only took me one restart (which was good, because saving is disabled for the section leading up to it, and having to repeat that multiple times would really suck).

Binabik15

Sober said:
Was that on normal? I thought he was a pushover on normal, all I did was
dodge his charge and then spam heavy attacks on his exposed backside, did it in 3 charges

Do you have roll +200%? I don´t and as I said, I got still hit by his sword swings.

The ranged stuff was easy enough to dodge.

cj_iwakura

Well, I was joking about the second part. :p They dang well better have a computer that can run it. Might have to borrow one from the Pentagon.

Binabik15

Edgeward said:
Is it bugged that I can't win Sendler's "trophy" from him via dice for the Troll quest?

He told me to roll for it, I won, but didn´t get the head. So you´re not alone.

PS: It´s nice to see that Obama gets to see what superior Europeans can do with pcs /smug.

Edgeward said:
Is it bugged that I can't win Sendler's "trophy" from him via dice for the Troll quest?
Did you finish the dice quest with him prior? If so, that's why. The trophy comes up as an option for your prize for beating him in the dice quest (the other options being coin, etc.).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished chapter 1, this game is glorious. GLORIOUS.

Any podcasts that discuss Witcher 2 other than the (great) brief discussion on this week's Gamers with Jobs? It seems that all my usual podcasts are mostly totaly over looking this game.

I want something to listen to during my jog this afternoon and I can't find any Witcher 2 conversation.

Xtyle

I have game installed on a new PC and I don't remember my login password. DO DLCs work if I just have them copied over to the game folder on this PC?

woober

EternalGamer said:
Any podcasts that discuss Witcher 2 other than the (great) brief discussion on this week's Gamers with Jobs? It seems that all my usual podcasts are mostly totaly over looking this game.

I want something to listen to during my jog this afternoon and I can't find any Witcher 2 conversation.

The most recent giantbomb podcast had a ~10 min conversation about Witcher 2. One of the guys is actually playing Witcher 1 and has the books, so expect a lot of Witcher talk from them in the future.

NIN90

Is completing the Melite's Heart quest worth going through the
bullshit Letho fight
again?
Who thought it was a good idea to remove the Arachas corpse?

woober said:
The most recent giantbomb podcast had a ~10 min conversation about Witcher 2. One of the guys is actually playing Witcher 1 and has the books, so expect a lot of Witcher talk from them in the future.

Yeah I listened to that. There really wasn't much Witcher 2 conversation, though. They briefly discussed the difficulty curve and the rest of the conversation was about Witcher 1.

I'm hoping next week, though, we'll get more conversation. Their 1 hour long quick look was fantastic. Love those guys.

Enkidu

NIN90 said:
Is completing the Melite's Heart quest worth going through the
bullshit Letho fight
again?
If you really feel it's that bad (I don't think it is) why don't you just put it down to easy the second time?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EternalGamer said:
Yeah I listened to that. There really wasn't much Witcer 2 conversation, though. They briefly discussed the difficulty curve and the rest of the conversation was about Witcher 1.

I'm hoping next week, though, we'll get more conversation. Their 1 hour long quick look was fantastic. Love those guys.
I'll just tell you now. Don't expect much coverage on any PC exclusives from GiantBomb. It's just not going to happen unless it's a Blizzard game.

Solo

Kyaw said:
You can skip all the sex scenes apart from the one at the beginning i believe. (not even a sex scene, just topless-ness)

Also before you guys go off and thought it would be a completely linear story focused game, it is not.
There are greatly detailed and relatively big environments to traverse for side quests and the main quests, just not as expansive as you would expect from an open world RPG like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

As far as Im concerned, the game hit the balance between linearity and open world perfectly.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
wow, it's a gift to Obama? CD Project just got a very good PR for the game.

Also it shows how big The Witcher franchise in Poland. And they have reasons for that. For example I plan to vsist Poland this year just to see the country where The Witcher is made.

BeeDog

NIN90 said:
Wtf the the Arachas corpse disappears immediately after the scene with
Iorveth
?

It disappears if you are forced to reload back to the autosave between the time you kill the Arachas and the start of the dialogue.

Luthos

Hmm, so I asked earlier about how to make money in Chapter 3. Didn't get an answer, but I found a pretty decent way.

Outside, go up the path killing harpies. Meditate when you reach the top to respawn them, kill them on the way down. Rinse repeat. I did 4 runs, which didn't take long (I went up, down, up, then down). And made about 1100 orens selling the mutagens and harpy ingredients.

Not too bad, considering it was more fun then playing poker, which only makes me about 20-25 orens per game, and not the greatest chance to even win.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
subversus said:
Also it shows how big The Witcher franchise in Poland. And they have reasons for that. For example I plan to vsist Poland this year just to see the country where The Witcher is made.
And meet Polish girls.

KKRT00

subversus said:
wow, it's a gift to Obama? CD Project just got a very good PR for the game.

You need to prepare Your stomach and head for enormous amount of alcohol :)

BTW Witcher is really big in Poland, its the famous one of fantasy series [books] and there are ads for Witcher 2, everywhere.

Ps. Topic change for Obama Ploughed 'Em All? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom