• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahadan

I usually don't like people who try to sound cool and badass (David Hayter is a torture) but I like Geralt's voice. Iorveth's too, in a different style. I think it suits well his sly side.

I forgot to mention the stealth sections, probably also influenced by Uncharted 2. They're both there in a "linear, clunky, and shouldn't even be in the game" sort of way, but Uncharted 2's were much smoother and less aggravating. The ones in this game really need their shit fixed lol

Solo

Im supposed to be following Roche in Loc Muinne. Problem is, the dumbass is caught on a wall and won't run past it. Sigh.

Solo said:
Im supposed to be following Roche in Loc Muinne. Problem is, the dumbass is caught on a wall and won't run past it. Sigh.

In or out of the city? If outside, make sure to explore everywhere you can. The area's not big, and you can find a sword that does better damage against gargoyles and large enemies. If in the city, I dunno, I haven't gotten that far yet.

Echoplx

How About No said:
I forgot to mention the stealth sections, probably also influenced by Uncharted 2. They're both there in a "linear, clunky, and shouldn't even be in the game" sort of way, but Uncharted 2's were much smoother and less aggravating. The ones in this game really need their shit fixed lol

Really? I got past them first go without getting caught

Echoplx

How About No said:
Never said it wasn't easy, but the way Geralt sticks to walls with no input and changes the directional controls is certainly crappy.

Well yeah it's certainly not perfect but they're easy enough to get through so don't detract much from the game imo

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just received the The Last Wish from Amazon.

I can't wait to start digging into this book.

Salaadin

Pankaks said:
Just received the The Last Wish from Amazon.

I can't wait to start digging into this book.

Great book. I loved the hell out of it.

Act 3 spoilers
Just got my Vran armor, Elder blood hands/legs/feet, Caerme Steel Sword and Addan Death Silver Sword. A lot of this stuff just got thrown in my face in the last 2 hours. Is this all the best in the game?

Solo

I think I am pretty much at the endgame now. I've quit for the night, so it looks like tomorrow will be the day I beat it. Then I will take a few weeks break, and then play the Iorverth path and make some different decisions.

Deadly said:
The scene where he jumped and fell and went "FUCK" was hilarious :lol

Roche is such a boss. Don't know how people can prefer Ioverth to him.

Van Buren said:
Insane
revenge
scene that. Have we ever had something so vindictive in a game in recent times ?

It was 110% cold-blooded.

1stStrike

Banned
Solo said:
HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU at what Roche
just did to Dethmold
. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:lol

I plan on going the Roche route this time. Seems like I need to hurry through the rest of chapter 1 so I can get onto the good stuff!

So at the end of Chapter 2
I made Roche let Henselt live. Can someone please tell me whether this has major consequences on what happens in the rest of the game? I have a feeling that I'm going to regret it, but I always feel like I'm not a murderer and I felt it would be wrong to let a king die considering the entire game I'd been trying to clear my name as a King Slayer

I don't want to know particulars. Just if you did the same and regretted it lol.

Solo said:
I think I am pretty much at the endgame now. I've quit for the night, so it looks like tomorrow will be the day I beat it. Then I will take a few weeks break, and then play the Iorverth path and make some different decisions.

Roche is such a boss. Don't know how people can prefer Ioverth to him.

It was 110% cold-blooded.

I think I am just before where you're up to but almost there, I can feel that I'm going to be finishing the game soon too and I think it's grand. I don't think the game has been cut too short at all, and I can't wait to start it all over and see it all from the other perspective :D Sword fighting is too fun so I don't know how I'm going to allow myself not to upgrade the swordsmanship path lol.

Just as a heads up, on the Witcher official site there is a new post that if you had any damage to your statute you can take pictures, and e-mail them with a proof of purchase to get a replacement at some point in the future. I know on release day some other people had problems with theirs.

Also, didn't have time to finish when it came out, just started a real job. Finally able to dive back in now that it is the weekend. Hopefully I can use the holiday to beat it.

Also, question about Act II, only spoilerish in the most general of ways:

Are the Iorveth and Roche paths completely different- in terms of where you start, side quests, etc.? Or do they just start a different and then converge at some point during the Act?

Salaadin

Just beat it. I dont know if the reviews lowered my expectations or not but I LOVED the ending. It felt like the perfect way to end the game while setting up a sequel/expansion.

Exuro

SerArthurDayne said:
Are the Iorveth and Roche paths completely different- in terms of where you start, side quests, etc.? Or do they just start a different and then converge at some point during the Act?
Completely different. Depending on who you choose is who's side you're on in the act. New quests and perspective of the story as well.

It's really a shame that they don't have the the music that plays from the Kedweni camp on the Soundtrack. Same thing kinda happened with the first game where all the great pieces weren't on the soundtrack. I'm really enjoying this though.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm waiting on my copy as well!

About 50 pages in and I'm loving the book. The quality of the writing is so much higher than most videogame novels that I've read (Which makes sense seeing as how it was written before the actual game was conceived)

I had to stop myself at Chapter 2 otherwise I would be up all night lol.

Luthos

Just made it to Chapter 3. Roche path.

That part where Roche fell through the bridge, and rolled, and kept fighting dudes was so badass. *falls* "Fuuuuck" *rolls and punches someone*

Oh and this Loc Muinne seems awesome. Cool name for a city. I'm not there yet, still fighting harpies on the way down. But the music here might be the best I've heard yet. Awesome stuff.

Pankaks said:
About 50 pages in and I'm loving the book. The quality of the writing is so much higher than most videogame novels that I've read (Which makes sense seeing as how it was written before the actual game was conceived)

Great to hear, I've read excerpts via Nook samples. I'm excited as hell to read more about this awesome universe.

So what are the best weapon (steel and silver sword) and armour in the game?

I currently have:

Draughr Armour

The Silver Sword that you find in the cart at the bottom of the cliff at the start of Act 3 (can't remember the name but it does 49 - 53 damage after 3x Ygsith Runes

Some crappy Steel Sword that does 30 - 33 damage and I can't seem to find something much better... the merchant has an elvish sword that does 40 - 42 damage for sale but I don't just want to buy a new sword

I'm actually REALLY looking forward to finishing the game and starting again, it's actually really exciting to be able to play it through again with a set perspective on everything that happened so that you can make decisions with an educated set of eyes. I'll probably end up playing this game through a few times. But on subsequent play through I'm putting on the 0 item weight mod because I spent WAY too much time organizing my inventory.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Great to hear, I've read excerpts via Nook samples. I'm excited as hell to read more about this awesome universe.

Yep, I started reading Last Wish also and I'm about 120 pages in... while I read I can't seem to put them down. Loved the detail in the Striga scene at the start, it filled me in about a LOT of things that I didn't quite understand - it also gives me a much greater understanding and idea about who Geralt's character really is before his memory loss.

sflufan

Banned
Once you finish "The Last Wish", you can then move on to "Blood of Elves".

Unfortunately, you'll be waiting until 2012 for the next Witcher novel to be translated into English.

Salaadin said:
I wonder if theres high enough demand, will the book publisher get the next one out sooner.

No way man! There wouldn't be high enough demand either - books area a totally different world, in the world of books. You wait.

Pankaks said:

I have read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. I personally thought Last Wish to be much tighter and superior to the actual novel. Don't know if that is a translations related issue or not. Both were good and enjoyable, however, although it seems we will be on a Martin like timeline to ever get the full series. Fortunately, we can spoil the entire series and the second volume of shorts stories online to get plot points relevant to the game.

edit: I guess my biggest problem is magic is a complete make it up as we go deus ex machina type plot point. Which is true of most fantasy, I guess, and its use is not without consequence, so it does have some balance.

Luthos

Chapter 3 armor spoilers:
Wow, I just spent that time at the beginning of Chapter 3 to make the Draugr armor, and then found that new set in the sewers which is better, and also a formula which can upgrade that new set into an even better one.

Aeana

I usually prefer heavily stylized graphics, but I am so impressed with how this game looks. I think it might be the best-looking game I've ever played. I can't believe this is coming out of my PC in real time. And I only just started chapter 1.

Van Buren

Draft said:
Letho fight is stupid. A lot of the fights in this game are stupid.

Just mimic his attacks. He is as susceptible to them as you are.

SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
It's really a shame that they don't have the the music that plays from the Kedweni camp on the Soundtrack.

I'm fairly certain the Kaedweni camp music is the 8th song in the OST.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but you can drag the mouse to very slightly nudge the viewpoint around during conversation scenes. I have no idea what the point of this is. Maybe it's more noticeable in 3D?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
How About No said:
Not sure if anyone noticed, but you can drag the mouse to very slightly nudge the viewpoint around during conversation scenes. I have no idea what the point of this is. Maybe it's more noticeable in 3D?

Many games have this. Just for looks, from what I've always gathered.

Anyways, beat the game a second time. Played the game differently with heavy magic and Roche path. Felt like a very different game. I quite enjoyed Roche's path, but I still vastly prefer the other one. I'll not be going magic spec next time either. Alch was pretty nice. I'll mix Sword and alch for my third play through once more DLC is out to refreshen the experience.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welp, into chapter 2 and awesome exudes. Chose
Iorveth path btw
. Not sure if that part in chapter 1 was a big turning point but I will definitely replay it to chose otherwise if so.

Luthos

Are there any ways to make good money in Chapter 3? Lots of shiny stuff, but very expensive.

I wish I could repeat that arm wrestling, as you could get 200 per. But it's funny how even the hardest poker players still play with a maximum bet of 10. I'm lucky to get 30ish per win, and I'm super lucky to even win at all. (for a game based on luck, they sure are good at rolling good hands).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Draft said:
Letho fight is stupid. A lot of the fights in this game are stupid.

I thought so the first time but then I saw a video of a guy who beats him on hard in 3 minutes without using bombs and magic.

zlatko

Banned
subversus said:
I thought so the first time but then I saw a video of a guy who beats him on hard in 3 minutes without using bombs and magic.

Tis the beauty of this game. Just don't over commit and go in for the few guaranteed kills, then bait out whiffs. Or, get your Quen on and go to town. Or make use of daggers and other spells.

There's a lot of wiggle room on how to succeed in a lot of fights, and the only way to consistently lose is to stay too close for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom