• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Zeliard said:
Everything Heavy Rain tries to do as far as characterization and dialogue scenes, Witcher 2 does much better.

There's Mass Effect 2 influence in a way your persuasion skills accumulate and work.

Draft said:
Letho fight is stupid. A lot of the fights in this game are stupid.

The fights are only stupid if you decide to play them stupidly. If you just run up dudes until you are almost dead then run around the room waiting for life to come back, yeah the fights become stupid.

If you actually try to use your abilities and are willing to experiment, they become engaging. They are "hard" because the game doesn't want you to just mash buttons and win.

Minor Chapter 3 holycrap moment:
Arayn La Vallete is still alive! Geralt doesn't seem as surprised as me though. He was just wandering around all casual-like, like nothing ever happened. In my prologue, he burned the castle to the ground and was thought dead.

Still wandering around solving rune puzzles...

zonezeus

Meanwhile, in USA

image_full

Luthos said:
Chapter 3 armor spoilers:
Wow, I just spent that time at the beginning of Chapter 3 to make the Draugr armor, and then found that new set in the sewers which is better, and also a formula which can upgrade that new set into an even better one.

It's an upgrade if you're playing a melee-oriented character, which makes it stupid because that's the only way you can finish the damn quest. For someone using Signs heavily the armor found in the chest is superior.

1stStrike

Banned
Man, going back through chapter 1 in my second play through I'm finding so much shit I missed the first time. I killed
the bandits by the gravestones for the troll quest and got a key for a bandits hideout, but I've got no idea where it is. Any clues?

Also, I'm going to be abusing the hell out of that 200 oren arm wrestling dude to get up to like 3 or 4k. That should tide me over for anything I need in chapter 2 and I'll have plenty for chapter 3.

Last game I completely missed
the witch in the back who can remove the curse on the amulet. I didn't even know about it! I'm assuming I have to wait until I meet up with Iorveth in a bit to kill the arachas by him to get the eyes right? That's the last ingredient I need now.

Decay24

Neo Member
Just got to Chapter 3 on my second play through. This time I'll be sure not to sucked right into the ending and fail all my optional quests :p

Chapter 2 with Iorveth was more fun for me then Roche's Chapter 2. The whole
Aedirn/Kaedwen mist part
on both play throughs really annoyed me though.

Chapter 3 is really different so far.
Can't go anywhere near guards since they'll attack me on sight

1stStrike said:
Man, going back through chapter 1 in my second play through I'm finding so much shit I missed the first time. I killed
the bandits by the gravestones for the troll quest and got a key for a bandits hideout, but I've got no idea where it is. Any clues?

Southeast corner of the map

Echoplx

How About No said:
Southeast corner of the map

To elaborate:
You need to go down to the the river where the Troll is then follow it upstream then you will find a 'ramp' that you can walk up to cross the river.

1stStrike

Banned
3chopl0x said:
To elaborate:
You need to go down to the the river where the Troll is then follow it upstream then you will find a 'ramp' that you can walk up to cross the river.

Ahh! Thanks. I totally found it last game, but I never got the key so I had no idea how to open it and just moved on.

Edgeward

Man, snares are completely awesome. Made those Endrega queens a cinch, didn't even have to lift a finger once i laid down a row of traps. Thanks for the advice guys.

Edgeward said:
Man, snares are completely awesome. Made those Endrega queens a cinch, didn't even have to lift a finger once i laid down a row of traps. Thanks for the advice guys.

If you set them up everywhere, you get something like this:

sideshow-bob-o.gif

Or, that's what I imagine anyway.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm impressed.

I chose to persuade
La Vallete to surrender
and got different prison escape.

Solo

1stStrike said:
I plan on going the Roche route this time. Seems like I need to hurry through the rest of chapter 1 so I can get onto the good stuff!

Roche is a pure, unadulterated badass from Chapter 2 onwards. Especially when you make choices to further his goals. Awesome VA too.

ColonialRaptor said:
I think I am just before where you're up to but almost there, I can feel that I'm going to be finishing the game soon too and I think it's grand. I don't think the game has been cut too short at all, and I can't wait to start it all over and see it all from the other perspective :D Sword fighting is too fun so I don't know how I'm going to allow myself not to upgrade the swordsmanship path lol.

Yeah, SO FAR (as I'm not done, but probably 99% done), I think the comments about the end have been unwarranted. The length feels just right, Chapter 3 doesn't feel truncated, and all the events have come to a head in a manner that makes complete sense given whats happened in the game so far. Regardless of what happens in the final half hour or so I've got left, I think the game has done a fantastic job of following through on the plot threads laid out in the prologue, while leaving just enough questions up in the air for expansions and The Witcher 3.

Enkidu

So there's one thing I never got about the story. Spoilers from Witcher 2 and 1:
Who was the assassin who tried to kill Foltest at the end of Witcher 1? There is plenty of story about Letho, Aukes and Serrit but I never saw any mention of any fourth witcher. And how does that attempt tie into the overall plot? Was it for the same reasons as when Letho killed Foltest? Had Demavend already been assassinated at this point or was that the first assassination attempt?

Enkidu said:
So there's one thing I never got about the story. Spoilers from Witcher 2 and 1:
Who was the assassin who tried to kill Foltest at the end of Witcher 1? There is plenty of story about Letho, Aukes and Serrit but I never saw any mention of any fourth witcher. And how does that attempt tie into the overall plot? Was it for the same reasons as when Letho killed Foltest? Had Demavend already been assassinated at this point or was that the first assassination attempt?

I figure he was probably from the Nilfgaardian School of Viper, since the emperor was behind the plot

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So does everyone here simply replay from the beginning or from a certain point to get different story arcs? Like when you
can choose to give Triss the rose of remembrance?

Or the the obvious big one in who
you're going to aide while giving the sword or not to Iorveth?

I just want to know so I don't have to completely replay. I wish I would have just chosen a 1 sided approach but I've been rather neutral in my playthrough.

Kyaw

I started all the way from the beginning.
Sparing Aryan Va Lette or not. Changes your prison escape route.

LiquidMetal14

Kyaw said:
I started all the way from the beginning.
Sparing Aryan Va Lette or not. Changes your prison escape route.
Looks like I will just replay from the beginning most likely. And on a higher difficulty. I just hate to have to go through all that again but the game is so good that it's worth it.

Kyaw

Just play on easy for the second playthrough and do a hard run with every side quests for the final run. (wait for DLC/Expansion news before starting last one?)

LiquidMetal14

Kyaw said:
Just play on easy for the second playthrough and do a hard run with every side quests for the final run. (wait for DLC/Expansion news before starting last one?)
Thanks, something to ponder.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
edit: n/m!!!!!

dak1dsk1

Banned
The game is not free roaming like Oblivion or Two Worlds. It seems awfully restricted to one path. After arriving at Floatsam, I tried leaving the city and doing some exploring. It didn't pay off very well, and you couldn't venture out of the limited forest area.

Kyaw

dak1dsk1 said:
The game is not free roaming like Oblivion or Two Worlds. It seems awfully restricted to one path. After arriving at Floatsam, I tried leaving the city and doing some exploring. It didn't pay off very well, and you couldn't venture out of the limited forest area.

Derp. It's not an open world RPG. It's more focused on story than exploring. Although the side quests in this game are fantastic.

Carm

So, after getting extremely annoyed trying to figure out quests in late Act 2 Iorveth path, I find out act 2 is designed badly. You can pick up a quest in Act 2 that has nothing to do with that path, and notes for another quest, that has nothing to do with that path. Kinda lazy of them to leave them in there.

Last boss of the act was pretty easy though, which took away some of my frustration.

so what are the gameplay benefits of finishing witcher 1? do you get extra stat points or something?

As someone who hasnt read any books etc the story and characters just done mean anything to me. Have a feeling its a lot more interesting if you finished the first game.

MrBig

cleveridea said:
so what are the gameplay benefits of finishing witcher 1? do you get extra stat points or something?

As someone who hasnt read any books etc the story and characters just done mean anything to me. Have a feeling its a lot more interesting if you finished the first game.
I didn't even touch the first game so I'm completely lost.
I'll probably look up a summary somewhere

Kyaw said:
Derp. It's not an open world RPG. It's more focused on story than exploring. Although the side quests in this game are fantastic.

Wow, really? I just might get the game then. I thought it was an open world game so I avoided it like a plague. That said, I stumbled onto the sex scene and the the woman he's fucking is enough to give me early erectile dysfunction. Can we skip them?

Kyaw

You can skip all the sex scenes apart from the one at the beginning i believe. (not even a sex scene, just topless-ness)

Also before you guys go off and thought it would be a completely linear story focused game, it is not.
There are greatly detailed and relatively big environments to traverse for side quests and the main quests, just not as expansive as you would expect from an open world RPG like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

Kyaw said:
you would expect from an open world RPG like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

I don't want Oblivion and Fallout 3. Oblivion's one of the worst games I've ever played. The free roam world can cure insomnia. I'm hoping this game won't be like that.

Kyaw

Then get this game! :D
Just get ready to accept that you suck at combat at first and be ready to die multiple times on normal difficulty first playthrough.

Fredescu

Draft said:
Letho fight is stupid. A lot of the fights in this game are stupid.
I'm not very far into the game but Letho has been my favourite fight so far. The only fight I haven't liked was the Kayran. Too scripted.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kyaw said:
You can skip all the sex scenes apart from the one at the beginning i believe. (not even a sex scene, just topless-ness)
Skipping the sex scene is pretty dumb though, as the longest one in the game is plot-related!

Kyaw

It's hardly plot related! (plot related but not important to the plot) But you should be ashamed of yourself if you skipped a sex scene on purpose. Doesn't count if you had to skip because of real life intrusions. :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm sure this was discussed. But please someone enlighten me.

The Escapist gave Dragon age 2 a perfect 10, and The Witcher 2 a 7 ...?

I'm hoping this game won't be like that.

Not even close.

Jintor

I can see legitimate reasons for giving Witcher 2 a 7 (although you'd have to be more negative than I generally am)

Dragon Age 2 a 10? Ridiculous.

Kyaw

Just saw the review from Escapist. Guy was complaining about no hand holding, all the reviewers seem to complain about that. Also the tutorial tips are all there in the Journal...

Jintor

Yeah, the tutorial tips like 'hit left click to swing fast and right click to swing strong' with no indication about the fact this works differently on different enemies, you can chain together combos with timing, you can put aard into them, a lot of other information besides.

I think there's a reasonable middle ground between handholding and bare minimum essentials and the Witcher 2 is on the bare minimum essentials side of the equasion

Ricker

Damn it,just realised this morning I can equip trophies for various buffs lol...still only level 8 though with only a few quests left before the chapter 1 Kayran thing...

EternalGamer said:
The fights are only stupid if you decide to play them stupidly. If you just run up dudes until you are almost dead then run around the room waiting for life to come back, yeah the fights become stupid.

If you actually try to use your abilities and are willing to experiment, they become engaging. They are "hard" because the game doesn't want you to just mash buttons and win.

I still think challenge is poorly designed. There's a video of a fight against the Operator that really looks terrible. If the challenge in the game is designed around striking once, running out, recharging, running in, hitting once, running out, repeat, your formula is broken.

It's not always like that, of course, but some boss fights are really underwhelming.

Lime

Surely Metacritic will deny the Escapist review of Witcher 2, based on the incredibly ridiculous score Dragon Age 2 got for:

I could point out the improved combat and graphics till there's blood covering my face, but BioWare is one of the few companies that uses the advanced computing power available to modern game designers to let you actually play a role.

Bottom Line: A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II is what videogames are meant to be.

Recommendation: Buy it, steal it, beat up your little brother so you can play it.

Fucking game journalism, how does it work?

zer0das

Banned
Enkidu said:

Letho mentions another two witchers of the Viper clan whose whereabouts are unknown, and that they can come out of hiding now that the Vipers can start rebuilding. Letho has two short blades hitched on the front of his armor that resemble the assassin's. So it was probably a witcher from the Viper school that Letho was unaware of.

Although why Geralt never brings this up is a mystery to me.

Chapter 1.

The fight against Letho is impossible, just died for about the 17th time. Don't understand what I'm supposed to do when the odds are stacked so much against you.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Harry_Tequila said:
Chapter 1.

The fight against Letho is impossible, just died for about the 17th time. Don't understand what I'm supposed to do when the odds are stacked so much against you.

Roll alot. Bombs are a nice plus. Whenever he shield himself, just stay away from him. An Aard on him from time to time helps, and if you are quick, you can really lay him down hard with a combination of 2-3 swings, aard, two swings, roll back, bomb. Eventually he will knock you around or shield up, so if you don't want to risk that, stick with the simple roll around and strike when he shield is down.

The fight is not nearly as bad as it seems once you know how he fights. Never stay close to him for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom