• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Enkidu said:
Have you got the roll talent? It's pretty much mandatory for any type of combat in this game regardless of your spec. Once you have that, it should be quite simple to evade his bombs and fireballs.
Eh, I don't have that talent and didn't have much trouble. His bombs and fireballs are slow.

EternalGamer said:
Yeah I listened to that. There really wasn't much Witcher 2 conversation, though. They briefly discussed the difficulty curve and the rest of the conversation was about Witcher 1.

I'm hoping next week, though, we'll get more conversation. Their 1 hour long quick look was fantastic. Love those guys.

Haha expect 15 minutes of Vinny talking about the rest of Witcher 1.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, I switched to hard on my second walkthrough. The way it should be played. Haven't noticed much difference yet though.

I'm curious if they continue with this hardcore strand in TW3 or expansions. I guess not. Too many people whine and reviewers whine too.

Enkidu

Fredescu said:
Eh, I don't have that talent and didn't have much trouble. His bombs and fireballs are slow.
If nothing else get it as a way to get around the environment faster :p Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a Zelda game rolling my way around the forests.

subversus said:
I'm curious if they continue with this hardcore strand in TW3 or expansions. I guess not. Too many people whine and reviewers whine too.
They'll probably at least balance it better so that the beginning isn't the most difficult part of the game.

subversus

Enkidu said:
They'll probably at least balance it better so that the beginning isn't the most difficult part of the game.

yes, this could be done better, I agree. But I had hard situations along the whole game. Now I'm at the beginning of Floatsam chapter and I feel that challenge is too low for me since I mastered the system.

Also what they really need to do is to make Geralt respond to magic and bomb buttons very quickly, because now he waits for an end of the previous animation and it feels unresponsive.

But they shouldn't make it easier. I guess I'm turning into whiny hardcore gamer even though I play much less games now. Since now all console games developed in NA and UK = hard mode for me from the beginning since they balance normal for people who do not play games at all.

Solo said:
Final boss of the game
second form, on the roof
is giving me fits.

quen

Deadly

Luthos said:
Hmm, so I asked earlier about how to make money in Chapter 3. Didn't get an answer, but I found a pretty decent way.

Outside, go up the path killing harpies. Meditate when you reach the top to respawn them, kill them on the way down. Rinse repeat. I did 4 runs, which didn't take long (I went up, down, up, then down). And made about 1100 orens selling the mutagens and harpy ingredients.

Not too bad, considering it was more fun then playing poker, which only makes me about 20-25 orens per game, and not the greatest chance to even win.
Why do you need to be making money? You can pretty much find all the best gear.

Van Buren

Solo said:
Final boss of the game
second form, on the roof
is giving me fits.
Quen up at all times. Read the boss' attack patterns, and it's possible to do the entire fight without taking a single hit. Play defensively - a single strong attack followed by a dodge makes the fight trivial even on hard.

Deadly said:
Why do you need to be making money? You can pretty much find all the best gear.

That Elder equipment don't make itself! Well, I think those were the best...I just sold af of my Lesser and Basic mutagens, after spending 2000 for the Vran armor.

What ever happened to gibbing after the prologue? I was slicing up La Vallete soldiers left and right during the siege, were they made of jello? It's weird.

Also this is the best non-Final Fantasy generic battle theme. Every time it's randomly selected, I perform 20% better, I swear.

Solo

Quen is great, but then you get hit and need to cast it again. Anyways, Ive got the strategy figured out now. Just need to execute it.

Also, I just learned something about signs, lolz. Its better to have 0 blocks than 1 block for vigor. When you get down to no vigor, it seems to regenerate a LOT faster than if you already have some.

subversus said:
wow, it's a gift to Obama? CD Project just got a very good PR for the game.

Also it shows how big The Witcher franchise in Poland. And they have reasons for that. For example I plan to vsist Poland this year just to see the country where The Witcher is made.

Get here, you will feel great I think. Avoid Warsaw, I live here, and there are a lot more interesting places. Visit Gdansk and Krakow, they have very nice Old Town. Malbork has BIG ASS Teutonic Knights castle.

Omikaru

I pre-ordered this game on GOG ages ago (pretty much on a whim; I've never played the first one), bought it a week or so before release and after finally finishing L.A. Noire, got to downloading and installing.

And holy fuck, is this game awesome or what? I'm tempted to pick up The Witcher 1 (a game I've shamefully never played) before I continue, but I'm really digging this so far.

Just figured I'd come in here to say how glorious this game is. Damn hard so far, but really good fun. Haven't played a true PC game like this in a long time, and it's good they're still being made.

subversus

Omikaru said:
And holy fuck, is this game awesome or what? I'm tempted to pick up The Witcher 1 (a game I've shamefully never played) before I continue, but I'm really digging this so far.

I'd stop and buy The Witcher 1, but well, I think it's hard to stop. You'll appreciate TW2 as it is, but I can't imagine going back to TW1 after TW2. It's still a brilliant game though on its own terms. And its ending twist is better than every plot twist I've seen in TW2 so far (and in games general). I'd play just because of its story.

Digishine said:
Well i got a question.

is this game a bit in the genre of mass effect 2 ? cause i'm thinking of buying it :)

Thanks in advance

yes, it is. but it's hard and non-linear.

Van Buren

Digishine said:
Well i got a question.

is this game a bit in the genre of mass effect 2 ? cause i'm thinking of buying it :)

Thanks in advance

Witcher 2 is a narrative-driven RPG, so it's closer to the genre of ME2 than something like Oblivion. Witcher 2 does have richer RPG conventions like wandering around quest hubs, picking up and solving quests as compared to the mission system in ME2. Witcher 2 is not a party-based RPG though; there are companions who tag along when the story calls for it, but you mostly play alone as the titular character.

EDIT: Revolutionary said it better along more non-sugarcoated lines.

Deadly

How About No said:
That Elder equipment don't make itself! Well, I think those were the best...I just sold af of my Lesser and Basic mutagens, after spending 2000 for the Vran armor.

What ever happened to gibbing after the prologue? I was slicing up La Vallete soldiers left and right during the siege, were they made of jello? It's weird.

Also this is the best non-Final Fantasy generic battle theme. Every time it's randomly selected, I perform 20% better, I swear.
Yeah I forgot about crafting costs. I grinded the arm wrestling bosses for 200 until I reached like 4000-5000 =P

Enkidu

Omikaru said:
The Witcher 1 is a good game, but it's much more of a standard eastern European RPG aside from the quite interesting story and the gray moral choices. There's no guarantee that you'll like it just because you like Witcher 2.

Van Buren

Digishine said:
well ok i just bought it and going to give it a go.

Downloading almost 20 GB now..

Assuming this is your first foray into the Witcher world, read the OP's Witcher 1 summary and look up the ingame journal when the download's done. It will really help you get a handle on the characters and the world.

Digishine

Banned
Van Buren said:
Assuming this is your first foray into the Witcher world, read the OP's Witcher 1 summary and look up the ingame journal when the download's done. It will really help you get a handle on the characters and the world.

thx for mention it. Will do it right away allready at 2GB going quick :)

Luthos

Finally beat it. Awesome game. I liked the ending, myself. Wrapped up most of what the game itself was about, and set up some events for the evident sequel.

Finally time to start LA Noire. I'll play it, probably in time for Infamous 2. And then eventually I'll probably replay Witcher 2, going into a different skill tree, and choosing the different options in all the major choices.

Van Buren

Luthos said:
Finally beat it. Awesome game. I liked the ending, myself. Wrapped up most of what the game itself was about, and set up some events for the evident sequel.

Which path did you take ? I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the path and the initial impression of the ending, or if it's just a result of knowing beforehand that Act 3 is endgame. I personally loved the Epilogue, and took the Roche path.

JoeMartin

Only thing I didn't enjoy from a mechanics/difficulty standpoint
was the absolutely INSANE difficulty spike of the Operator fight, which basically amounted to not getting dicked over by gargoyle combos. And after finishing that (and collecting the Vran/elder blood armor) the challenge devolved into a trivial blur of ramboing into things mashing left click. Everything bosses inc was a minimal challenge at best.

Fantastic from a story standpoint, went with:

Roche
Let him kill Henselt
Saved Triss
Let Sile die
Killed the dragon
Killed Letho

Thing I seem to be missing: Saskia - What the hell was the deal with her. She gave me her sword in the mines in Vergen and that was the last I ever saw of her?

Dethmold - last saw him in Vergen too, killed his men off, never saw him again, but apparently he ran away in the chaos after the dragon attacked.

Philippa - I pretty sure I only saw this character once the entire game and I really don't even know what the fuck they did ever.

Riposte

JoeMartin said:
was the absolutely INSANE difficulty spike of the Operator fight, which basically amounted to not getting dicked over by gargoyle combos. And after finishing that (and collecting the Vran/elder blood armor) the challenge devolved into a trivial blur of ramboing into things mashing left click. Everything bosses inc was a minimal challenge at best.

Roche
Let him kill Henselt
Saved Triss
Let Sile die
Killed the dragon
Killed Letho

Only thing I seem to be missing is Saskia. What the hell was the deal with her. She gave me her sword in the mines in Vergen and that was the last I ever saw of her?

Hahahaha

Go Iorveth path before anyone tells you whats up.

Van Buren

JoeMartin said:

Roche
Let him kill Henselt
Saved Triss
Let Sile die
Killed the dragon
Killed Letho

Only thing I seem to be missing is Saskia. What the hell was the deal with her. She gave me her sword in the mines in Vergen and that was the last I ever saw of her?

That encounter difficulty was actually something I liked. It's pretty rare to find optional boss encounters in WRPGs nowadays, lets alone ones that are genuinely tricky. Once I figured out the purpose of the pillars, it was a matter of executing my plans more than anything.

Regarding your story question, the Iorveth path leads to some surprising answers.

Salaadin

JoeMartin said:

Roche
Let him kill Henselt
Saved Triss
Let Sile die
Killed the dragon
Killed Letho

Thing I seem to be missing: Saskia - What the hell was the deal with her. She gave me her sword in the mines in Vergen and that was the last I ever saw of her?

Dethmold - last saw him in Vergen too, killed his men off, never saw him again, but apparently he ran away in the chaos after the dragon attacked.

Philippa - I pretty sure I only saw this character once the entire game and I really don't even know what the fuck they did ever.

Your path is identical to mine. *high five*
Saskia has more of a presence in the Iorveth path from what I hear. I thought wed see her more during the war with Kaedwen but she didnt show her face...at least I didnt see her

JoeMartin

I have a pretty good idea who/what Saskia is just from inference, and given more thought I probably would have:

Let the dragon (which is probably Saskia) live and let Letho walk.

Ah well, I want to do another playthru going magic tree primary/Iorveth, but I dunno if I have the willpower to muscle through the prologue/chapter 1 again.

Luthos

Van Buren said:
Which path did you take ? I'm wondering if there is a correlation between the path and the initial impression of the ending, or if it's just a result of knowing beforehand that Act 3 is endgame. I personally loved the Epilogue, and took the Roche path.
I went the Roche path as well. I had heard the Chapter 3 was kinda short. So maybe I was prepared for endgame. And it didn't bother me, because I already had 30 or so hours clocked by the time I finished Chapter 2.

I'm curious on what the Iorveth path does. Like I hope I get to see more of those other character you don't really hear about at all. Like Saskia, Phillipa, etc.

Solo said:
Final boss of the game
second form, on the roof
is giving me fits.

I was having loads of trouble, but here's how I beat it:

- When the bastard is breathing fire, make sure you are as far away as possible and have Quen up.
- When he falls off the side of the tower and you suspect he's going for a tail whip attack, be on the opposiute side of the platform, as far away, geometrically, as possible. To help you do this, watch for his position on the minimap, it will tell you precisely where it is at all times.
= When he does the dive attack, don't dodge it, have Aard prepared and fire it as soon as it starts diving (but not sooner or it will miss). This will do a bit of damage to it, and you won't get hit.
- If you're magically specialized, use Aard when he's shuffling around the arena and you're retreating from him to regen vigor.
- Never let vigor fall below 2 assuming you are using the aard sign to do damage, since oyu awlays need that much, minimum, to protect from dive attacks.
[/LIST]

Varna

Van Buren said:

I think that's a really big contributing factor. People who didn't know about chapter 3 being the ending just kind of went on with their business not realizing that the game could come to a close in just three short missions.

Varna

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I was having loads of trouble, but here's how I beat it:

- When the bastard is breathing fire, make sure you are as far away as possible and have Quen up.
- When he falls off the side of the tower and you suspect he's going for a tail whip attack, be on the opposiute side of the platform, as far away, geometrically, as possible. To help you do this, watch for his position on the minimap, it will tell you precisely where it is at all times.
= When he does the dive attack, don't dodge it, have Aard prepared and fire it as soon as it starts diving (but not sooner or it will miss). This will do a bit of damage to it, and you won't get hit.
- If you're magically specialized, use Aard when he's shuffling around the arena and you're retreating from him to regen vigor.
- Never let vigor fall below 2 assuming you are using the aard sign to do damage, since oyu awlays need that much, minimum, to protect from dive attacks.
[/LIST]

Wow. Completely different then how I handled it. Just went for quick sword attacks when ever I could. Took forever, but I got him on my first try on hard mode.

gillty

Banned
Salaadin said:
Your path is identical to mine. *high five*
Saskia has more of a presence in the Iorveth path from what I hear. I thought wed see her more during the war with Kaedwen but she didnt show her face...at least I didnt see her
Having played through the Iorveth side, Saskia has a huge presence. Read on for Saskia spoilers
I'm watching the other side now on youtube, because IMO I only play RPG's once to live the story of "my" character.

warning major Ioverth side spoiler
In case people didn't realize, Saskia is the dragon, because of this, I let her live.

methane47

So i got witcher yesterday and put a good 3 hours into it.....

So far... game is awesome.. and beautifull but the game is unapologetic towards new comers. I only played witcher 1 for like 10 minutes.. So i start up this game... i really have NO idea what is going on.. who the people are... what the hell im doing here.

Combat is tough... tutorial pop ups disappear before i finish reading them and when i go to the journal to find what i missed... i have to dig through soo many entries.. That said.. the game is awesome... I really need some kind of Tips on combat though... cuz currently I am unable to win a fight without like attacking once and IMMEDIATELY rolling either behind or away depending on how many people im fighting against. I can't help but feel im doing it wrong.

Anyways I pretty much just escaped the jail thingie... we shall see how it goes....

Finally finished last night,
Holy fuck at the Operator fight. Killed him on my first attempt but I kept rolling as the portal opened and I didn't get to loot him. FUCKKKKKK. Took me 4 more tries after that as every time I went to hit him he had his Quen up, resulting in me getting knocked over and then raped by the Gargoyles. Ended up spamming Grapeshot at him until I hit a bug where Geralt would only move in a straight line and everything else just stopped. Saved and reloaded, it picked up with him at low health but couldn't move until he hit me with a fireball, got up and diced his ass. Then spent the next 2 hours trying to get 3 yellow Meteor rocks. Only 2 available for looting. Eventually worked out a guy in the Amphitheatre (which I was avoiding as I was ready for the final mission) had a formula for it. FUCKKKKKKK. Geralt ended up with Vran and Blood Elder Armour, along with Caerme for steel and Zekkikanterment/Addan Deith/Deithwen for silver. Operator staff looks awesome. Loved the ending, went Roche in Chapter 1 for maximum bro adventure but didn't let him kill Henselt, I'm no kingslayer. Chose to save Triss, I'm a Witcher. I don't give a shit about keeping a country together. Saved Sila, she will come in handy and the Lodge is fucked anyway. Killed Letho. He killed humans for money and power, making him no better than a monster, he is no Witcher. Geralt don't stand for that.

delirium said:
I can't play this game until they fix the Xbox 360 controller problems in the 1.1 patch. Argh.

Why? The K&M controls are great. I recently found out that Spacebar is the "take everything" button when using them, too, which was cool. You click to search then hit space to grab it all.

delirium

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Why? The K&M controls are great. I recently found out that Spacebar is the "take everything" button when using them, too, which was cool. You click to search then hit space to grab it all.
I've just gotten used to the superior 360 controls for this game. I mean the KB+M is fine, its just I'd rather play with the 360 and its broken right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom