• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jintor said:
Well, obviously it was my business, but it didn't feel that way, y'know?

Man, neutrality.
Yeah the whole point is that Geralt is a Witcher who is focused on killing monsters to survive. That is the base of his point of existing. He currently lives in a time where the world is trying to move on from those old times and focus on politics and authority. He ends up being a bodyguard to Foltest because another Witcher is killing humans, against their ideals. The whole game is Geralt trying to find the kingslayer and put him to justice to regain the ideals on which they should exist. Letho is basically destroying their place in the world
because he believes they can create a new, better place for themselves in the new world. The Lodge is being taken apart and all the kingdoms are drawing up their new lines. Letho sees it as a time where the Witchers can become more than they have ended up being. He wants to bring back the schools and effectively regain another race of people for Temeria.
This all happens on the backdrop of what is going on between kingdoms and all the scheming is very well done. It sets TW3 up as a very grand adventure, even if it really will only be a backdrop to Geralt
finding Yennefer and working out once and for all who he was and what he now wants to be. It may end up with him having to choose sides in the inevitable war but maybe CD Projekt will take him out of the fire and have him gunning for the now known to be Elven race of Wild Hunt.
The two supporting characters were fantastic and a lot of fun to be working with, I think they character interactions were even better than in ME2. I REALLY hope Roache turns up in TW3.

Exuro

scy said:
Time to start my immediate 2nd file! Might import a save this time ... hm. Wonder if there's a harder Hard Mode mod yet too. Then again, I'm planning to just never use Quen so that'll probably make me rage enough as is.
You should do the Roche quest before starting a new game. It's pretty satisfying.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah the whole point is that Geralt is a Witcher who is focused on killing monsters to survive. That is the base of his point of existing. He currently lives in a time where the world is trying to move on from those old times and focus on politics and authority. He ends up being a bodyguard to Foltest because another Witcher is killing humans, against their ideals. The whole game is Geralt trying to find the kingslayer and put him to justice to regain the ideals on which they should exist. Letho is basically destroying their place in the world
because he believes they can create a new, better place for themselves in the new world. The Lodge is being taken apart and all the kingdoms are drawing up their new lines. Letho sees it as a time where the Witchers can become more than they have ended up being. He wants to bring back the schools and effectively regain another race of people for Temeria.
This all happens on the backdrop of what is going on between kingdoms and all the scheming is very well done. It sets TW3 up as a very grand adventure, even if it really will only be a backdrop to Geralt
finding Yennefer and working out once and for all who he was and what he now wants to be. It may end up with him having to choose sides in the inevitable war but maybe CD Projekt will take him out of the fire and have him gunning for the now known to be Elven race of Wild Hunt.
The two supporting characters were fantastic and a lot of fun to be working with, I think they character interactions were even better than in ME2. I REALLY hope Roache turns up in TW3.

See, that restatement of what was going on in Witcher 2 is totally bitching, but I didn't get that sense from the game itself, mainly from other people writing about what they saw in the game.

scy said:
Time to start my immediate 2nd file! Might import a save this time ... hm. Wonder if there's a harder Hard Mode mod yet too. Then again, I'm planning to just never use Quen so that'll probably make me rage enough as is.

Like an insane mode without the restarting insanity? From what I've heard, Insanse is slightly different from Hard, but not sure how.

Is it safe to rename save files? I'd like to rename them to "fin_didThis_savedHim" or something, but not sure if that will mess anything up.

Van Buren

Jintor said:
See, that restatement of what was going on in Witcher 2 is totally bitching, but I didn't get that sense from the game itself, mainly from other people writing about what they saw in the game.

I'm curious, did you keep up with the journal entries as they were being written ? Aside from being hilarious, they provided a lot of context for the events in the game.

Jintor said:
Yeah I will agree that the information coming out at you is quite convoluted, especially since taking certain paths and ignoring certain side-missions (or even just scrounging around talking to random people). A lot of the plot is hidden away for you to find if you want to go out of your way, certain characters that serve no purpose to missions can say some pretty huge revelations. As a game TW2 lends itself to repeat plays and doesn't forcefeed you the story. I think that probably comes from the developers heritage in PC gaming.

The journals were really cool with Dandelion putting his own spin on what is going on but I don't think they were entirely necessary. They are mainly there in case you take some time off from the game and need a recap, RED probably felt obliged to include it in the game so they made the best of it by using Dandelion to make it enjoyable.

Exuro said:
You should do the Roche quest before starting a new game. It's pretty satisfying.
Thanks for the reminder, going to do his finale rather than start again first.

Xtyle

Still in Chapter 2. Done most of the side quests now. Maybe all of them. Really liking Chapter 2 so far. I am level 22 and I honestly don't find the game too easy or too hard. I still die (to group fights like the harpies cave). I think I don't do is go out of my way to exploit certain elements of the game like the bombs and the bomb talents and what like. I love to play melee so all my points are in melee so far. Having a blast!

Anyone here happily owns the collector's edition? I pre-ordered, forgotten about it, and it came on launch day. I was not so sure at that point that I really wanted to spend 130$ on a single game...but the early impressions looked positive. And now I am totally happy I got the big box edition. The little goodies that come in it is pretty damn cool and somewhat unique. The art book is really nice too. Great illustrations. Love it.

1stStrike

Banned
I started up my Blackberry Playbook, logged into Kobo and bought The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. I think it's time I sat down and gave them a read so I can get into the lore more.

Xtyle

ColonialRaptor said:
I feel like such an idiot... I didn't upgrade fortitude because I thought 10% to Vigor regeneration was a waste... just did it now in CHAPTER 3 because I don't have much else to spend my level up points on and i notice OMG I GET ANOTHER VIGOR POINT WHEN I UPGRADE IT AGAIN!

FML I've been playing the entire game with 2 Vigor points HAHA!

Oh well, second play through will be a lot easier haha :D

Fuck! Why didn't I know about this? I am in the middle of chapter 2 too...I guess it is not too late...though there are loads of others I want like Tough (+dmg reduction).

scy

Exuro said:

I actually posted that and then immediately went go do it and see how a few other things play out. It's quite ridiculous how different the events play out based off of just this while still more-or-less being the same:
Namely that the Conclave is doomed and a Witch Hunt is a-brewin' if you save Anais as opposed to Triss where things are all relatively peachy-keen for them. Anais is now being raised within Temeria to be a Warrior Queen of sorts instead of being left alone with Roche ... which in hindsight doesn't sound like the best idea ever.
I honestly don't know which route I prefer here.

How About No said:
Like an insane mode without the restarting insanity? From what I've heard, Insanse is slightly different from Hard, but not sure how.

Well, primarily I'd just want more HP on enemies. They do enough damage as is on Hard that raising it more is probably unnecessary (especially on a Quen-less run). If I had any combat complaint about the game, I'd say that there's not enough satisfying fights; enemies are way too sparse besides a few points and I'd think tougher/more resilient enemies would get me that satisfaction.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried turning off bloom on a whim, and I think the game looks a lot nicer for it. The lighting looks much more real.

Luthos

scy said:
And one serious generic Chapter 3 question ...
how does Boussy die? Just all of a sudden it's Anais for the throne since the boy got offed. Would I have found this out if I had chosen to save Anais instead of Triss? Or does he just randomly die and nobody gives a shit?
I'd like to know this too. It was kinda odd without any explanation. Because I don't remember one.

Jintor

Van Buren said:
I'm curious, did you keep up with the journal entries as they were being written ? Aside from being hilarious, they provided a lot of context for the events in the game.

Of course, man, Dandelion is hilarious. What I'm saying is that the information is there but the storytelling itself is not really as effective as it could have been.

scy said:
Anyway, curious above all else how the events will pan out for The Witcher 3. I killed the dragon, spared Henselt, let Sile escape

You utter, utter bastard :lol

And one serious generic Chapter 3 question ...
how does Boussy die? Just all of a sudden it's Anais for the throne since the boy got offed. Would I have found this out if I had chosen to save Anais instead of Triss? Or does he just randomly die and nobody gives a shit?
No one knows, but it looks very very likely that radovid had little boussy offed, a male heir is a threat, with adda and anais he practically has the temerian throne in his back pocket. His reaction if you take her to the temerians suggests he's not a happy bunny at all

Edit: Whoops, meant to post this in the spoiler thread, despite being relatively minor.

I'd imagine this has been brought up already and possibly addressed but did anyone experience any continuation
to the experimental drug offer made to Geralt in flotsam by two folks near the dwarven blacksmith?

Additionally the priest that plays poker in the lower level of the tavern in flotsam talks about potentially unloading some sort of burden on Geralt but despite me beating him in poker he deems me unworthy or some such nonsense. I was wondering if there was anything more to that?

SenorDingDong said:
Additionally the priest that plays poker in the lower level of the tavern in flotsam talks about potentially unloading some sort of burden on Geralt but despite me beating him in poker he deems me unworthy or some such nonsense. I was wondering if there was anything more to that?

Do you have the Steam version? I think that if you have the GOG version he's the guy who gives you an item which gets you discounts at GOG, someone linked to a post on Something Awful about it. I have the Steam version so I can't check.

I'm just going to shelf this game for right now. It's too awesome, but my computer can not run it. I don't want to ruin the game so I'm just going to wait until I can upgrade my computer. But I did play the opening with crappy framerate and all and it was just amazing. The part where you walk around before the attack was just breathtaking.

I am a bit surprised at how good feedback everyone is giving this game. What happened? CD Project used to do Polish translation for Bioware games - Now people are telling me, that they are beating Bioware at storytelling. At Biowares own game.

I bought the first game three times. I never got around to more than chapter 2 or 3. I think it was a Swamp area, after you left a city. As cool as the game was, it had very broken dialogue(even the enhanced version) and in general it was a game that was hard to figure out what to do, where to go and when to do it.

I really want to play the second one, but even though(according to Gametrailers review) that 2 is not referencing all that much to Witcher 1, that to get the full experience I should play 1 first... But the first one is sort of boring. It kinda psyches me out.

But what a reception this game has gotten. Wauw. What greatness that there is still love for Fantasy RPGs, and that it seems we can move beyond what has been before. I'm addicted to Game of Thrones right now and can't get enough Swords and Sandals of high quality.

Cels

Gameplay question re: Act 2

I am in Act 2.
I am in Vergen since I sided with Iorveth in Act 1. I also saved the elves in the burning house in Act 1. A little bit outside Vergen is the elf that will have sex with you since you saved her. And then a couple doors behind her is a locked door. What's in there? How do you open it?

Cels

Jintor said:
it's just a shortcut to the quarry area/crossroads

No, I can open those doors fine. After I walk past that herb-selling elf, I can go through two doors and head to the quarry. But on the left there is an extra door that I can't get into.

Kyaw

Cels said:
No, I can open those doors fine. After I walk past that herb-selling elf, I can go through two doors and head to the quarry. But on the left there is an extra door that I can't get into.

That's the elven woman's house.

Cels

Kyaw said:
That's the elven woman's house.

I've been inside her house though
...when I had sex with her. As far as I know the door to her house is never locked. If you're facing her the the door is the 2nd one from the left. But I'm not talking about that door

For some reason I can't take a screenshot so I'll describe how to get to the locked door.
If you're facing her, go to the door immediately to the right of her stand/kiosk. This door will be locked unless you have the key that the elf woman gives you after you have sex with her. This will lead you to a sort of transition area and a 2nd door. After you go through that 2nd door you have a 3rd doorway to go through, except you don't have to click a door to open since the door is broken. From there, if you go right you will be overlooking the quarry and the burned house below. However, if you go left instead there is a door that is locked.

Jintor

Cels said:
I've been inside her house though
...when I had sex with her. As far as I know the door to her house is never locked. If you're facing her the the door is the 2nd one from the left. But I'm not talking about that door

For some reason I can't take a screenshot so I'll describe how to get to the locked door.
If you're facing her, go to the door immediately to the right of her stand/kiosk. This door will be locked unless you have the key that the elf woman gives you after you have sex with her. This will lead you to a sort of transition area and a 2nd door. After you go through that 2nd door you have a 3rd doorway to go through, except you don't have to click a door to open since the door is broken. From there, if you go right you will be overlooking the quarry and the burned house below. However, if you go left instead there is a door that is locked.

Oh right! I know the doors you're talking about. I never unlocked them either :<

Jenga

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
I am a bit surprised at how good feedback everyone is giving this game. What happened? CD Project used to do Polish translation for Bioware games - Now people are telling me, that they are beating Bioware at storytelling. At Biowares own game.

I bought the first game three times. I never got around to more than chapter 2 or 3. I think it was a Swamp area, after you left a city. As cool as the game was, it had very broken dialogue(even the enhanced version) and in general it was a game that was hard to figure out what to do, where to go and when to do it.

I really want to play the second one, but even though(according to Gametrailers review) that 2 is not referencing all that much to Witcher 1, that to get the full experience I should play 1 first... But the first one is sort of boring. It kinda psyches me out.

But what a reception this game has gotten. Wauw. What greatness that there is still love for Fantasy RPGs, and that it seems we can move beyond what has been before. I'm addicted to Game of Thrones right now and can't get enough Swords and Sandals of high quality.
CD Project has improved stupendously from one game to another. They've gone from that one company who did the witcher and runs GoG on the side, to potentially one of the great new developers of this generation. Where Bioware has faded, CD project has grown.

abunai

Been unable to play this for a week, gonna go huge in Chapter 2 now! Has there been any decent mods or anything out that I should know about that came out in the past week? Apart from patch 1.1 obviously.

Kyaw

Yeah it has to be the woman's house. There's only two doors there. One is for the quarry shortcut and one is the woman's.

I'm guessing in TW3...
Big shits gonna happen and Elves, dwarves and humans are gonna unite to kick the Black One's arse.

raphier

Banned
Kyaw said:
Yeah it has to be the woman's house. There's only two doors there. One is for the quarry shortcut and one is the woman's.

I'm guessing in TW3...
Big shits gonna happen and Elves, dwarves and humans are gonna unite to kick the Black One's arse.
Sounds like
WC3
To me...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's it. I'm so tired of this weight limit. Someone link me to that son of the bitch weight mod please! As long as it doesn't break the game or change anything like I'm cheating. It is annoying and I've put up with it for almost 15 hours of the game so I didn't chicken out like 1 hour in :p

I mean, I know there's probably something in the game that increases the 300 limit right?

RIGHT?!?!?

And into Chapter 2 -
Should I just tackle all the side missions while waiting for the main story arc to kick in? I mean It says to wait for events to happen basically. I accepted all the missions on the board and stepped out into the river portion of the outside and got ambushed in that little bit of story and did that but otherwise
I've done nothing else but stuff within the city walls. And no other real side/story missions.

Also, decision spoilers maybe -
Does one recommended going full bad or good in this? I've been neutral and I hope I can remember some of the key decision as I've chosen the Iorveth path but the prison escape decision is the one I'm thinking about earlier on in the game.
Otherwise I feel like I've missed nothing except the big one which I will not name thus far into Ch.2. Incase some are reading this non spoiler part RE -
the choice to follow Roche or Iorveth

Jintor

LiquidMetal14 said:
Also, decision spoilers maybe -
Does one recommended going full bad or good in this? I've been neutral and I hope I can remember some of the key decision as I've chosen the Iorveth path but the prison escape decision is the one I'm thinking about earlier on in the game.
Otherwise I feel like I've missed nothing except the big one which I will not name thus far into Ch.2. Incase some are reading this non spoiler part RE -
the choice to follow Roche or Iorveth

I'm afraid there's no good or bad here. Just sides.

LiquidMetal14

Kyaw said:
THANK YOU PAL!

And mutagens, how in the hell do I use them? I haven't used them once lol

And I edited in 1 more question into my last post if you got opinions on that :p

Jintor said:
I'm afraid there's no good or bad here. Just sides.
Forgive my lack of better wording but that's what I thought :p

I just want to see as much of the story as possible. Maybe someone can compile all the endings into a YT vid at some point.

AND looking at those mods, God Mode would totally take the fun out of it but would be neat only after you beat the game if only to get to more story faster.

I suppose you can easily uninstall them too right?

Kyaw

Mutagens can be used in the character development menu.
Only works with mutagen compatible talent slots.
There is a mod that allows mutagen upgrade for all the talent slots.

As for the choices, there is no 'good' or 'bad' choices. Only the lesser of two evils (sides).
You experience a WHOLE NEW point of story telling with different choices/paths.

I went with Iorveth on the first playthrough.
Going with Roche for the second one.
Gonna go with my preferred path for the third playthrough. Just waiting on expansion DLC news!

LiquidMetal14

Kyaw said:
Mutagens can be used in the character development menu.
Only works with mutagen compatible talent slots.
There is a mod that allows mutagen upgrade for all the talent slots.

As for the choices, there is no 'good' or 'bad' choices. Only the lesser of two evils (sides).
You experience a WHOLE NEW point of story telling with different choices/paths.

I went with Iorveth on the first playthrough.
Going with Roche for the second one.
Gonna go with my preferred path for the third playthrough. Just waiting on expansion DLC news!
And the mods, they are easily removed no? I'm only going with the weight one as I really don't feel the need to cheap out. And I don't mind spamming my way through the 5 dev intros in the beginning. I usually skip it and only lose like what, 3 seconds?

Kyaw

No idea about the mod removal. Just have a read through the GoG mod thread and you might find some answers. You can ask them too if you have a GoG account/bought the game from GoG.

LiquidMetal14

Kyaw said:
No idea about the mod removal. Just have a read through the GoG mod thread and you might find some answers. You can ask them too if you have a GoG account/bought the game from GoG.
Seemed simple enough. The weight mod just adds an item folder into the CookedPC folder which is a simple delete if you don't want it there.

Thanks for the quick followup's, I think I'm set and as the read me file on the mod says, this one doesn't feel as much of a cheat as the other big mods. I really hate running back or sometimes crawling to a shop to empty random weapons and materials just to continue on my quest.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I mean, I know there's probably something in the game that increases the 300 limit right?
Several pieces of armour late in the game give you extra weight and in the prologue you can get the extra 50 weight. That is it I think. Number 1 problem is probably carrying around a lot of junk. All rings, bracelets, non-interactive stuff goes into the ALL catergory rather than has its own catergory so the only way to sell that stuff is scroll through everything. Hopefully they patch something in to fix this oversight as it seems a lot of people (me included) don't notice it until late in the game where you are carrying around 75 odd weight of useless crap.

LiquidMetal14

reptilescorpio said:
Several pieces of armour late in the game give you extra weight and in the prologue you can get the extra 50 weight. That is it I think. Number 1 problem is probably carrying around a lot of junk. All rings, bracelets, non-interactive stuff goes into the ALL catergory rather than has its own catergory so the only way to sell that stuff is scroll through everything. Hopefully they patch something in to fix this oversight as it seems a lot of people (me included) don't notice it until late in the game where you are carrying around 75 odd weight of useless crap.
Didn't know until you said it so thanks for mentioning it. I installed the weight mod so no issue but I will sift through it and sell of some of it as I assume it's good for crafting at some point. They need to add a junk tab like in the shops that sell fishheads and such labeled just as, JUNK.

I'm actually semi-surprised that this OT took off faster than the LA Noire OT being that game is multiplat. I'm also pleased as everything I've candidly talked to with friends affirms that I made the right choice in picking between this and LA. It's crawling it's way to the top of my favorite RPG's ever list. I may sound biased but it might as well be.

dak1dsk1

Banned
This game didn't live up to my expectations. It was too much like Dragon Age or Mass Effect. If anyone is interested in buying a mint copy of the nordic edition, write me a PM.

Just finished the game.

Was amazed by the ending. I don't know how anyone could have been disappointed by the way it all turned out. The game was the perfect length with the perfect amount of content with the perfect ending with the perfect lead into the next game with th perfect amount of clues as to get you thinking about the big choices that will be abound in the next game such as:

Who will you choose between Triss or Yennefer when you finally get Yen back?

As for how it went down for me.

I had chosen Roche's path. At the end of Chapter 2 I spared Henselt's life, which didn't really have any resounding consequences I imagine (though I'm going to go back and play Chapter 3 again with him dead and see what's different and see whether I'm right or wrong about that). I chose to go and save Triss rather than help Roche - I mean, why do I care about Roche and Temeria. I'm (well, Geralt) not Temarian, I'm Rivian and I've known Triss a hell of a lot longer than I've known Roche, and sure I've butchered a lot of soldiers beside Roche on the way to this position but all of that was just on the path to rescuing Triss, so fuck Roche.

I saved just before that choice though and did the Roche part of the story though... YEOW! Can't believe he chops of Deahtmolds balls!!! WTF!!!! AWESOME!

I saved Sile. I decided to slay the dragon (wonder what that will mean in the next game as I actually though I'd get some sort of Dragon armour or sword out of it but I was mistaken so I'll let it live on a subsequent play through) and I decided to fight Letho and that was definitely the hardest fight in the game. I died once, was level 35.

All in all I would give this game a 9.5/10 with the 0.5 docked for some very slight inventory management issues. I love it and will probably play through at least a couple more times.

ColonialRaptor said:
Just finished the game.
I had the exact same path as you. 5 star game without a doubt. Doing an elven run now and will do another once all the DLC is out.
You get the dragon armour from doing the Operator mini-boss. Which is also the hardest fight in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom