• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
reptilescorpio said:
I had the exact same path as you. 5 star game without a doubt. Doing an elven run now and will do another once all the DLC is out.
You get the dragon armour from doing the Operator mini-boss. Which is also the hardest fight in the game.

Who is that mini boss and how do you get to that?? Why did I miss it? Is that because I didn't have the
endraga queen pheremones in Chapter 3 still?
because if so, that really REALLY pisses me off :(

Stahsky said:
Geralt is not Rivian. Just thought I'd point that out.

What is he?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
ColonialRaptor said:
Who is that mini boss and how do you get to that?? Why did I miss it? Is that because I didn't have the
endraga queen pheremones in Chapter 3 still?
because if so, that really REALLY pisses me off :(

What is he?

It's a book spoiler. I don't believe they mentioned it in the games, but
All witchers are tasked with giving themselves a title like that to help other people feel a bit more trusting of witchers. I've only read the first book, so I'm not sure if he mentions it in the other english translated one, but I do not remember him saying where he was actually born. Only that he was taken away from his family.

edit: And no, the quest for the operator boss is in the sewers. Hard to miss once you run into it. Not sure of the quest, but you need to do a series of puzzles to get to that boss.

Stahsky said:
It's a book spoiler. I don't believe they mentioned it in the games, but
All witchers are tasked with giving themselves a title like that to help other people feel a bit more trusting of witchers. I've only read the first book, so I'm not sure if he mentions it in the other english translated one, but I do not remember him saying where he was actually born. Only that he was taken away from his family.

Ahh... Okay... well I'm reading the book at the moment so I might find that out.

I'm concerned about not fighting that optional mini-boss now. Oh well, i'll find it next time I guess.

Stahsky

It is probably for the best. That boss can be a real bitch depending on your spec. Running into it on your second play through will lessen the rage. I would have given up on the boss had I run into it on my first finish just to get on with the story. :D

ColonialRaptor said:
Ahh... Okay... well I'm reading the book at the moment so I might find that out.

I'm concerned about not fighting that optional mini-boss now. Oh well, i'll find it next time I guess.
During the Little Sisters quest in Chapter 2 you come across the house. Next to the house are some barrels, blow them off with aard and go down. Inside are 3 fires, light them correctly (i think furthest from door then clockwise) to open a secret passage where you find a necromancers scroll. Show it to Dethmold but DON'T sell it to him. Show it to the Ban Ard dude in Chapter 3 then go down to the sewer next to the arm wrestler dude. Say the right words to the Pixie. Go through Portal and light the correct fires (4374 I think?) then go through another Portal. Tell the Operator you were not chosen. Kill Operator who uses Quen and Igni while spawning Gargoyles. Loot dragon scales off him to make the best sword/armour in the game. I'm pretty sure it is sword? The Vran armour comes from the chests in the Gargoyle quest rooms I think?

Stahsky

Oh wow, I didn't even realize it was part of that quest. Man, I never pay attention to quest names.

Fredescu

Enhanced Yrden Sign has a mutagen slot. Would the affects only apply when the sign is cast, or are all mutagens permanent character stat increases?

Fredescu said:
Enhanced Yrden Sign has a mutagen slot. Would the affects only apply when the sign is cast, or are all mutagens permanent character stat increases?

I have never used a mutagen because I can't work out how :/

The game tool-tips needs to do a better job of telling you which "enhancements" are permanent and which are not all round.

scy

Kyaw said:
I thought Vran armour came from Mystic River?

That's where I got mine. I didn't even do the optional fight on my run since I dumbly didn't have the note. Oh well, I'll get it on my second time around.

Incidentally, the fight is not Roche path only. The quest that sends you the area is but you can go there on Iorveth path if you want just to grab it. Plus, you don't have the option of losing it this way.

Jintor

340x.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
reptilescorpio said:
During the Little Sisters quest in Chapter 2 you come across the house. Next to the house are some barrels, blow them off with aard and go down. Inside are 3 fires, light them correctly (i think furthest from door then clockwise) to open a secret passage where you find a necromancers scroll. Show it to Dethmold but DON'T sell it to him. Show it to the Ban Ard dude in Chapter 3 then go down to the sewer next to the arm wrestler dude. Say the right words to the Pixie. Go through Portal and light the correct fires (4374 I think?) then go through another Portal. Tell the Operator you were not chosen. Kill Operator who uses Quen and Igni while spawning Gargoyles. Loot dragon scales off him to make the best sword/armour in the game. I'm pretty sure it is sword? The Vran armour comes from the chests in the Gargoyle quest rooms I think?

You only get to fight him if you sided with Roche I think.

The quest giver still gave me the sword without having to fight the boss.

edit
Incidentally, the fight is not Roche path only. The quest that sends you the area is but you can go there on Iorveth path if you want just to grab it. Plus, you don't have the option of losing it this way.

Ah. really ? Well you can get the sword without fighting him anyway then.

Fredescu

Archie said:
The later.
Cheers.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I have never used a mutagen because I can't work out how :/
You have to put points into an ability with a mutagen slot, but you don't know it has a slot until you put the point into it. Then you just click on the ability with the empty slot and mutate it. There doesn't seem to be many abilities with slots.

Salaadin

Yurt said:
You only get to fight him if you sided with Roche I think.

The quest giver still gave me the sword without having to fight the boss.

edit

Ah. really ? Well you can get the sword without fighting him anyway then.

The diagram for the sword comes from the Little Sisters quest (in the hidden room in the basement) and opens up a new quest specifically for it, right? Im assuming that on Roche or Ioverths path, you can still get to that house on the beach, solve the puzzle, and get the diagram. You probably dont even need to show it to Dethmold....just the Bras of Ban Ard in Act 3. He reads it, gets you the recipe, and offers to make it for you.

Dragon scales can be obtained in 2 places that I found. Kill the Operator and loot his corpse and in a chest in someones room (I think it was Phillipas) in Act 3. Do you need 2 Dragon scales or only one? I cant remember. I thought the scales were only for the Vran Armor and not the sword.

scy

Caerme diagram is from the
Gargoyle Contract quest chests, I believe. That one you do to take to Bras and he decrypts it and says it's an honor to forge it for you.

The document from the Chapter 2 Hut (where Roche Path: Little Sister's Quest takes place) is only used for the Operator fight. Or for a few hundred Oren from Dethmold if you're dumb like me.

Salaadin

scy said:
Caerme diagram is from the
Gargoyle Contract quest chests, I believe. That one you do to take to Bras and he decrypts it and says it's an honor to forge it for you.

The document from the Chapter 2 Hut (where Roche Path: Little Sister's Quest takes place) is only used for the Operator fight. Or for a few hundred Oren from Dethmold if you're dumb like me.
Thats right, I got my quests screwed up. I had all if those final equip quests going on st the same time that I lost track

Keikoku

Banned
reptilescorpio said:

I did the little sisters quest and I have no idea what you're talking about. Well I failed the quest but still.

Anyway, does somebody have a guide for the gargoyle quest ? These riddles really are tedious.

Varna

Keikoku said:
I did the little sisters quest and I have no idea what you're talking about. Well I failed the quest but still.

Anyway, does somebody have a guide for the gargoyle quest ? These riddles really are tedious.

It's not technically part of the quest. It's just a hidden area hidden around the house.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Snuggler said:
Yes sir, it's what I used for most of the game.
yah, I just figured it out. Now I just need to figure out how to tone down the bloom and motion blur and we're gollldeeen :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Y2Kev said:
yah, I just figured it out. Now I just need to figure out how to tone down the bloom and motion blur and we're gollldeeen :)

don't forget to edit ini file to crank up textures to 2048. It defaults to 1024 sometimes.

Just started trying this out on on, first impresstion, wow is there a lot of motion blur when you move your camera. I'm feeling like I wana try my dualshock 3 with it so im going through motionjoy installation. And yea, love how they dont explain anything about the combat and just through you in there at first :/

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Combat tips from RPS: (may be they should be added to OT?)
Combat:
- Blocking (E) uses up Vigor as much as Signs do. No Vigor = no block available.
- Enemies hitting you throw you off-balance, leaving you ‘dazed’ for a second or so. Key: Avoid being hit.
- Most effective way of dodging is by double-tapping the directional keys.
- Do not try to ‘queue-up’ actions. This is what results in the “clunky” experience. Instead…
- WATCH your enemies’ combat moves. When they lift their weapon, a blow is coming (duh). Dodge the attack.
- You can chain up attacks, though the more you chain, the more likely the opponent will retaliate and daze you. Thus, after your 3rd strike or so, block in anticipation, await the retaliation and continue.
- Create space, don’t let yourself be “boxed” (+1 for anyone who remembers this Ultima Online term)
- Make clever use of Axii and Aard. Set a hotkey for the “dial menu” that is accessible while not impeding movement controls (I remapped Space) so you can quickly change Signs during combat.

Orangepeel said:
Just started trying this out on on, first impresstion, wow is there a lot of motion blur when you move your camera.

you can turn it off in config tool.

Draft

I don't know how good the Roche path is, but I have serious doubts it's half as funny as the dwarves in the Sco'latiel path.

The one dwarf that looks like Hitler and his crew are fucking hilarious.

TheExodu5

Banned
Orangepeel said:
Just started trying this out on on, first impresstion, wow is there a lot of motion blur when you move your camera.

Since the motion blur just blends subsequent frames, the amount of blur applied will be heavily dependent on your framerate. IMO, it looks really good when you have around 60fps, but is just too heavy when you're reaching closer to 30fps.

kamspy

Holy shit. I just tried this game with a controller and I'm switching.

This is coming from someone who plays GTA4, Dead Space and Ass Creed on kbm.

Bravo CD Projekt. Bravo.

Salaadin

Snuggler said:
Pretty good advice. I mapped the radial to MMB, it's perfect.
Thats not a bad idea. I wonder if I can spare one of my other mouse buttons for the radial menu. I currently have block and signs on the mouse too. Time to reconfig, I guess.

itxaka

Defeatist
Im on the mission to get the
simbol of death, but I can't find the entrance to the "forest" they mention on the journal. Im with Laroche so I can't enter the other city. I guess it's going around the cave tunnels near the city?

Keikoku

Banned
Just beat the game... is it true that there are 16 different endings ? I really don't see how that could work given how short the actual ending is.
Awesome game overall, most of the flaws can be fixed by patches, except the fact that there is only
3 acts
and not a lot of sidequests (at least compared to the first game). But considering that they're apparently making an add-on, I'm okay with this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Orangepeel said:
Just started trying this out on on, first impresstion, wow is there a lot of motion blur when you move your camera. I'm feeling like I wana try my dualshock 3 with it so im going through motionjoy installation. And yea, love how they dont explain anything about the combat and just through you in there at first :/
I had to turn it off. It was making me dizzy. I don't think I like it with the controller. It's hard to pick up loot sometimes...I just run past it. It feels like PoP 2008 kinda.

The mouse is much more precise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Salaadin said:
Thats not a bad idea. I wonder if I can spare one of my other mouse buttons for the radial menu. I currently have block and signs on the mouse too. Time to reconfig, I guess.

Yeah, it just feels right, much like switching suit powers on the fly in Crysis.

I dunno, both control methods work well but having spent a lot of time with both, I think I prefer the KB/M set up. It's nice to have short cuts to the map and abilities screen, the inventory navigation is a touch better and it just feels more responsive in combat. Evading and targeting seems a bit more effective.

^ oh yeah and like Kev said, looting is better, especially since you can grab individual items instead of all of them.

Plus, using the PS3 pad I kept accidentally pressing down the left thumbstick in combat, which sets off the medalion, making Geralt go stationary for a moment which sucks in a tough fight.

Van Buren

Keikoku said:
Just beat the game... is it true that there are 16 different endings ? I really don't see how that could work given how short the actual ending is.
Awesome game overall, most of the flaws can be fixed by patches, except the fact that there is only
3 acts
and not a lot of sidequests (at least compared to the first game). But considering that they're apparently making an add-on, I'm okay with this.

There are 4 different endings, each with 4 different states of the world. I'd recommend loading up an earlier save before the final choice in Act 3 to experience another ending relatively quickly. It's pretty great how this single choice in Act 3 can have serious ramifications for the future of the Northern Kingdoms. Regarding the game content though, I'd say Witcher 2 matches the first game in terms of unique content due to the vastly different second playthrough.

Jerk

Banned
Snuggler said:
Pretty good advice. I mapped the radial to MMB, it's perfect.

Hmm, sot of clunky sans autoclick mod. I moved mine back to shift a while back and I liked it a lot more. Magic is my MMB now.

Salaadin

Jerk said:
Hmm, sot of clunky sans autoclick mod. I moved mine back to shift a while back and I liked it a lot more. Magic is my MMB now.

My mouse has 10 programmable buttons but some of them are kind of in the way or too close to others that I dont feel comfortable using them. I think Im going to stick with signs on MMB and block on one of the extra buttons.

I never really have issues with Ctrl for radial menu anyways thought I think itd be nicer on the mouse. Block and Signs just feel so right on the mouse

Jerk

Banned
Salaadin said:
My mouse has 10 programmable buttons but some of them are kind of in the way or too close to others that I dont feel comfortable using them. I think Im going to stick with signs on MMB and block on one of the extra buttons.

I never really have issues with Ctrl for radial menu anyways thought I think itd be nicer on the mouse. Block and Signs just feel so right on the mouse

Yeah, I almost moved block as well, but I can only remember actually using it in exactly 1 part of the game. I find rolling to me much more useful.

itxaka

Defeatist
itxaka said:
Im on the mission to get the
simbol of death, but I can't find the entrance to the "forest" they mention on the journal. Im with Laroche so I can't enter the other city. I guess it's going around the cave tunnels near the city?

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuuuu. You can actually "enter the city", more like around it.

Salaadin

Jerk said:
Yeah, I almost moved block as well, but I can only remember actually using it in exactly 1 part of the game. I find rolling to me much more useful.
Ahh, I block a lot. My first upgrades on the Witcher path are all the Vigor +%, Vigor + 1, and multi directional parry. I use it far too often.

Its funny how much better I am at the game on my 2nd play through. Some fights that gave me issues my first time around are simple now. Once you grasp the mechanics, it feels so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom