• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Just beat it. Without a shadow of a doubt, this is GOTY and likely to be still sitting in that position in 7 months from now. Almost everything in the game, from the way the story unfolds, how the paths diverge and converge, how the characters are written, the art design, the technical prowess and the gameplay are pretty much unparelleled, or at the very least, have raised the bar. I cannot come up with any superlatives that really say more than that. Cannot wait to play my second playthrough, this time on the Ioverth path. I'm thinking I will make that playthrough my canon playthrough for The Witcher 3, since I made a lot of decisions near the end of the game contrary to what I wanted to do, simply to see the results of those choices (chief among them:
I didn't go after Triss, I re-spec'd from a swordsman build to a mage build, and I let Letho go
- all of which I will be doing the opposite of next time, in preparation for the next game). The Witcher 2 is the most engaging PC game I have played since Deus Ex.

Van Buren

Exuro said:
Well I'm not sure if you can beat that guy the first time around. Other than that though, all of them are easy. :p

Did anyone else laugh out loud at what Geralt says when
you choose dandelion to go into the Succubus' lair?

I just came across that earlier today. Had to pause the game for a bit to recover. Found it - Chapter 2 Iorveth quest

Tokubetsu

Solo said:
Just beat it. Without a shadow of a doubt, this is GOTY and likely to be still sitting in that position in 7 months from now. Almost everything in the game, from the way the story unfolds, how the paths diverge and converge, how the characters are written, the art design, the technical prowess and the gameplay are pretty much unparelleled, or at the very least, have raised the bar. I cannot come up with any superlatives that really say more than that. Cannot wait to play my second playthrough, this time on the Ioverth path. I'm thinking I will make that playthrough my canon playthrough for The Witcher 3, since I made a lot of decisions near the end of the game contrary to what I wanted to do, simply to see the results of those choices (chief among them:
I didn't go after Triss, I re-spec'd from a swordsman build to a mage build, and I let Letho go
- all of which I will be doing the opposite of next time, in preparation for the next game). The Witcher 2 is the most engaging PC game I have played since Deus Ex.

*High Five & Bro Fist Pound*

Darklord

Banned
En-ou said:
you sure its a sword and not a blacksmith plan?

Normally it shows up in "All items" at the top as it's the newest. Nothing there. It was in Vargen and I won a game of dice against the dwarf that
Gives you the spear head
he told he the item I was was a sword with some fantasy name. It never showed up though.

Van Buren

Solo said:

How'd you find the ending ? Seeing as you went Roche the first time around, I'm guessing you found it satisfying.

Solo

Van Buren said:
How'd you find the ending ? Seeing as you went Roche the first time around, I'm guessing you found it satisfying.

I did. I had none of the qualms about the ending that many seemed to. Sets the third game up nicely. Especially the revelations about the Wild Hunt.

Van Buren

Solo said:
I did. I had none of the qualms about the ending that many seemed to. Sets the third game up nicely. Especially the revelations about the Wild Hunt.

I'm still in the middle of my Iorveth run, but I wonder if picking Roche first leads to a more satisfactory impression of the ending. I certainly had no issues with how the game wrapped up the important plot threads and then strongly hinted at what's to come. The Epilogue, in particular, was a highlight due to being personal, instead of being a derivative 'save the world' yarn.

Solo

Precisely why I loved it. The world has big fucking issues, we are on the brink of war, but Geralt still has his own shit to focus on. I wish more games would take that route rather than going for the cliche and epic ending.

Van Buren

Solo said:
Precisely why I loved it. The world has big fucking issues, we are on the brink of war, but Geralt still has his own shit to focus on. I wish more games would take that route rather than going for the cliche and epic ending.

This is probably mean-spirited, but a certain fantasy wrpg tried doing just that recently - it wanted to be a personal story where politics rear their head.

raphier

Banned
Solo said:
There was a war in the first game too.

Did CDPR ever explain the decision to not even mention Shani in the sequel? It makes sense that she would have stayed in Vizima to help rebuild but it's weird that nobody even makes reference to that. I know she was sort of the Jar Jar of the first game, but she did occupy a rather central role... hmm just like Jar Jar.

Shit, she got totally Jar Jar-d, didn't she.

Darklord

Banned
Van Buren said:
This is probably mean-spirited, but a certain fantasy wrpg tried doing just that recently - it wanted to be a personal story where politics rear their head.

They got fucking lazy though. None of the choices meant anything(I choose to help A and fight B, oh wait now I have to fight A anyway, great. Now I'll choose to save C! Oh great, now C left forever anyway.)

If the world evolved, expanded and changed over time it would have been good. Or if the characters which it focused on bothered to change over gaps of several years it could have been awesome.

Solo said:
Ahhh. I (seemingly wisely) avoided Dragon Age and its sequel.

Dragon Age: Origins is amazing. DA2 is not.

Solo said:
Ahhh. I (seemingly wisely) avoided Dragon Age and its sequel.
The first game is good but falls short of greatness because the combat is broad but without depth, and the writing is standard Bioware but trying to be The Witcher.

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:
Did CDPR ever explain the decision to not even mention Shani in the sequel? It makes sense that she would have stayed in Vizima to help rebuild but it's weird that nobody even makes reference to that. I know she was sort of the Jar Jar of the first game, but she did occupy a rather central role... hmm just like Jar Jar.

Shit, she got totally Jar Jar-d, didn't she.

Supposedly a CDPR rep stated that she has not been written off or forgotten. She's a prime candidate for some DLC/Expansion appearance, me thinks.

jim-jam bongs said:
The first game is good but falls short of greatness because the combat is broad but without depth, and the writing is standard Bioware but trying to be The Witcher.
Probably the most succinct description of Origins I've seen.

Solo

With the RED Engine now done, would it be unreasonable to expect The Witcher 2 in 2 years, rather than the 4 years it took between the first game and The Witcher 2?

Van Buren

Solo said:
With the RED Engine now done, would it be unreasonable to expect The Witcher 2 in 2 years, rather than the 4 years it took between the first game and The Witcher 2?

Well, there's the rumored console ports and expansions they need to get out first. They've also been going on about other stories set in the Witcher universe. As much as I hate to think it, it could be a while before we see the third 'canon' game.

The expansions would be great though if they were full-blown games that progressed Geralt's story instead of saving the plot developments for the third game.

Solo said:
Almost everything in the game, from the way the story unfolds, how the paths diverge and converge, how the characters are written, the art design, the technical prowess and the gameplay are pretty much unparelleled, or at the very least, have raised the bar. The Witcher 2 is the most engaging PC game I have played since Deus Ex.
Agree completely. The struggles of Temeria were only ever a backdrop to Geralts quest to regain his memories and his friends. Dealing with the kingslayer was about keeping the definition of what a Witcher is, rather than putting him to justice. A Witcher kills monsters, not humans, and that is what Geralt wanted to uphold. You can choose to get involved in the politics of Temeria and act accordingly but you don't have to. I was very happy with how neutral I ended up at the end of the game

Solo said:
Yeah I re-did my ending from the opposite of this to see what it changed as was
disappointed to see leaving Triss didn't affect our relationship yet. Especially since you get to see Roache in an awesome new uniform and head off as a trio. Still no idea on whether or not I should kill the dragon since Roaches side doesn't give us the truth of what the dragon is.

scy said:
I just thought of something. Do they ever explain the assassin from the end of The Witcher?
They explain who sent the assassin but not who the actual assassin was.

Exuro said:
Both arm wrestling and fist fighting are a little too easy. Would be nice to bump up the difficulty on both. Fist fighting should be a little quicker and possibly add a third button press.
Yeah I would expect them both to get retooled in an Enhanced Edition. Arm wrestling might even get changed completely as it really was easy once you worked out the momentum pattern. You are supposed to fail that final wrestle as the mighty Numa is using steroids, you can then convince him to not use steroids next time and/or buy steroids off his assistant.

HowardRoark said:
Yeah, I'm trying to learn. It's pretty tough to time attacks when a group is surrounding me.
Early on it can be easy to Aard one attacker down and turn around and attack a far away attacker to break up the amount of people hitting you at once, like in Arkham Asylum. It is all about dictating the battle on your terms rather than letting them pile into you all at once until you get used to the spells/oils/potions/flow of battle.

Solo

reptilescorpio said:
Agree completely. The struggles of Temeria were only ever a backdrop to Geralts quest to regain his memories and his friends. Dealing with the kingslayer was about keeping the definition of what a Witcher is, rather than putting him to justice. A Witcher kills monsters, not humans, and that is what Geralt wanted to uphold. You can choose to get involved in the politics of Temeria and act accordingly but you don't have to. I was very happy with how neutral I ended up at the end of the game.

Nice to see that some of us are pleased with the ending. I was going to feel a bit bad for CDPR if everyone had loved their game but hated the ending. I think we can officially file the ending under "devisive".

Van Buren said:
Supposedly a CDPR rep stated that she has not been written off or forgotten. She's a prime candidate for some DLC/Expansion appearance, me thinks.

I hope so. I wasn't really very fond of her by the end of the first game but mainly because she's pious to a degree which seems utterly naive considering the world which she inhabits. The part in The Witcher where she talks to Geralt about dreaming about the battle of Brenna and then waking up refreshed is about the only time I can recall her perfect facade crumbling even for a moment.

Some DLC where you go back to Vizima after what happens at the end of TW2 would be a great way to reintroduce her.

Keikoku

Banned
Solo said:
I did. I had none of the qualms about the ending that many seemed to. Sets the add-on up nicely. Especially the revelations about the Wild Hunt.

Fixed. And I'm okay with this actually. Hope the choices we made in 2 will have a major impact in the add-on(s), and then a new setting/characters/story for The Witcher 3 (just like they did with The Witcher > The Witcher 2) Also old school WRPG add-ons can offer some AWESOME material given that the engine and gameplay mechanics have already been made (remember Mask of the betrayer, Throne of Baal...)

Anyway I just started a second playthrough and I've chosen to
kill Aryen
this time. Amazing changes in the prison break sequence, the talk with
his mother
was amazingly written, I just love The Witcher's politics.
TW2 really is the best game in terms of choices since a long, long time. That's why I wish it was longer so it could be even more complex and deep.

Van Buren said:
Well, there's the rumored console ports and expansions they need to get out first. They've also been going on about other stories set in the Witcher universe. As much as I hate to think it, it could be a while before we see the third 'canon' game.

The expansions would be great though if they were full-blown games that progressed Geralt's story instead of saving the plot developments for the third game.

To be honest I'd be happy with them taking the same approach with TW2 DLC stories as they did with TW1, where the main game is the novel and the DLC are the short-stories. Having lots of little stories which aren't part of the main arc really help to make the world feel authentic to me. It's a world where Witchers are needed, not a world where one Witcher being controlled by the player is needed... if that makes sense.

Keikoku

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
To be honest I'd be happy with them taking the same approach with TW2 DLC stories as they did with TW1, where the main game is the novel and the DLC are the short-stories. Having lots of little stories which aren't part of the main arc really help to make the world feel authentic to me. It's a world where Witchers are needed, not a world where one Witcher being controlled by the player is needed... if that makes sense.

I agree if they are DLC, but an expansion(s) should definitely deal with the
Yennefer's situation
. I just don't see what else Geralt could do.

Solo

Tokubetsu said:
Yeah I've beaten it. Same path with an exception
I saved triss

Nice! Going to give the Ioverth path a go? Im going to take a week or so break from the game, and then hit that one.

Van Buren

Keikoku said:
I agree if they are DLC, but an expansion(s) should definitely deal with the
Yennefer's situation
. I want a whole new setting for the third game.

The third game will probably focus on both your wants. Ending spoiler -
Nilfgaard & meeting Yennefer. Fans have been asking about Yennefer for a good while now, and so they might try to make it a pivotal plot development in the third game.

jim-jam bongs said:
The larger world story does not "need" Geralt, I agree - that's what is different from the standard "chosen one" Bioware story. That said, Geralt's personal story gathered a lot of momentum during the second game, and I'm very curious about what comes of it. I wonder what the fan reaction would be if the expansions/spinoffs focussed on characters other than Geralt in order to flesh out the rest of the rich universe more. Has he become synonymous with the game franchise that there is bound to be an uproar ? Or will they focus on the events between the end of the books and the beginning of the first game, thereby still featuring Geralt ?

Peff

Solo said:
Nice to see that some of us are pleased with the ending. I was going to feel a bit bad for CDPR if everyone had loved their game but hated the ending. I think we can officially file the ending under "devisive".

I was as well. I can see how some people would want more (and really, who wouldn't want this game to be longer) but
the conflict of the northern kingdoms that was set up is resolved while also introducing a larger one with the south, and the whole Kingslayer thing is finished as well, pretty satisfyingly too. Yennefer isn't found but I didn't really expect it to happen either
. Still, here's hoping for a full expansion pack released ASAP.

xqIQD.jpg

I remember I was all over this screenshot months ago, but doubted the game would actually look like that, well: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/witcher2 2011-05-30 01-53-40-67.jpg

Looks even better, right?

Tokubetsu

Solo said:
Nice! Going to give the Ioverth path a go? Im going to take a week or so break from the game, and then hit that one.

Going through again but still in Act I. I'll probably go Roche again tbh, I know I missed somethings and I loved it but I'll probably do the end a bit different. Then I'll do another run from my Act I end save for Iorveth. Taking a break for a few days to see how AMD responds with the light bleed stuff.

LiK

haha, in the Rose of Remembrance
very nice sex scene with Triss altho i guess they had to go brief so they don't get an AO rating.

Van Buren said:
The larger world story does not "need" Geralt, I agree - that's what is different from the standard "chosen one" Bioware story. That said, Geralt's personal story gathered a lot of momentum during the second game, and I'm very curious about what comes of it. I wonder what the fan reaction would be if the expansions/spinoffs focussed on characters other than Geralt in order to flesh out the rest of the rich universe more. Has he become synonymous with the game franchise that there is bound to be an uproar ? Or will they focus on the events between the end of the books and the beginning of the first game, thereby still featuring Geralt ?

One thing which they said recently was that they were considering filling in the gaps between the chapters, so we might see a DLC mission about what happens on
the Prison barge or Roche's boat
between the end of chapter 1 and the start of chapter 2.

I'd be interested in some stuff which wasn't based around Geralt myself, but it would have to be based on a character with some special powers because the parts of TW2 where you control a normal person weren't much fun to actually play imo, especially the part in chapter 2
where you're controlling Seltkirk.
Maybe they could have a mission about the 3rd Witcher school we haven't encountered yet, and have characters from it become a part of the 3rd game.

L0st Id3ntity said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/xqIQD.jpg[IMG]

I remember I was all over this screenshot months ago, but doubted the game would actually look like that, well: [url]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/witcher2%202011-05-30%2001-53-40-67.jpg[/url]

Looks even better, right?[/QUOTE]

The Witcher 2 is the first game I can recall where the pre-release bullshots were actually surpassed by real-time screens after it came out.

Kyaw

Damn, finished the game for the second time, this time on Roche's path.
What a massive difference from Iorveth's path!

There was a lot more fighting and action involved and the story is slightly darker/grimmer.
You never actually find out that Saskia is the Dragon. I let Roche kill Henselt, the scene was horrifying, i kinda regret it but what he did to Roche's men... Ploughed Ves. Never came around to the Operator's fight, i basically rushed through the last chapter. Went with Roche to save Anais and kill that Dethmold motherfucker.

Darklord

Banned
I noticed one touch to detail that was really cool. I went into a cave and fought my way through, spoke at the end and started my way back. I noticed on my way back water had started dripping through the cracks in the roof. When I went loaded back outside it was raining. That's fucking awesome.

Solo

Exuro said:
You miss that if you go after Triss. Found Roche's quest much more satisfying than Triss's.

You do? GODDAMN, Im glad I didnt go after her in that playthrough. That shit was cold-blooooooooded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom