• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

Just so you guys remember there's also a difference before deciding to follow Roche or Iorveth.
If you decide to punch Iorveth when you get ambushed he gets captured and the town is celebrating. While if you decide to give him his sword he escapes and the town is going crazy and everything is burning. You can still follow whichever you want with either event.

Jerk

Banned
Just started chapter 2.

This Dragonslayer virgin lady, she
cannot be as innocent as she initially seems; this world is way to cynical for that. She is either a raging nympho, a liar, a dragon or a puppet.

Kyaw

Solo said:
Was
Dethmold's death
awesome or what?

Fucking badass.
And he has sex slave too? Looks like Phillipa had one as well, Cynthia or w/e her name was. You can find them doing lesbian stuff if you sided with Iorveth. Also i spared the Dragon because i knew it was Saskia.

If someone picked Roche's path for the first time, they wouldn't know half the things the Iorveth players knew. Damn son. This is how you make a game.
Also how did Boussy get killed? :O

Also what happens when you go for Triss instead of Dethmold/Phillipa?

Dennis

Banned
Solo said:
Just beat it. Without a shadow of a doubt, this is GOTY and likely to be still sitting in that position in 7 months from now. Almost everything in the game, from the way the story unfolds, how the paths diverge and converge, how the characters are written, the art design, the technical prowess and the gameplay are pretty much unparelleled, or at the very least, have raised the bar. I cannot come up with any superlatives that really say more than that. Cannot wait to play my second playthrough, this time on the Ioverth path. I'm thinking I will make that playthrough my canon playthrough for The Witcher 3, since I made a lot of decisions near the end of the game contrary to what I wanted to do, simply to see the results of those choices (chief among them:
I didn't go after Triss, I re-spec'd from a swordsman build to a mage build, and I let Letho go
- all of which I will be doing the opposite of next time, in preparation for the next game). The Witcher 2 is the most engaging PC game I have played since Deus Ex.
Damn.

You make it hard for me to wait to play the game....

Keikoku said:
Oh and what the thell happened to
Bussy ? Why is it all about Anais during the third act ?

Current speculation is that
he was killed by Radovid because a male child would threaten he and Adda's claim to the throne of Temeria.

Solo

DennisK4 said:
Since I missed the chance to be part of the launch excitement, I have decided to wait until I get hardware that will do the visuals full justice.

Damn, you have some patience!

LiK

DennisK4 said:
Since I missed the chance to be part of the launch excitement, I have decided to wait until I get hardware that will do the visuals full justice.

i agree with you. i wouldn't have played it on my old cruddy PC.

Keikoku

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
he was killed by Radovid because a male child would threaten he and Adda's claim to the throne of Temeria.

Radovid is an heavy motherfucker is this is true.

Solo

jim-jam bongs said:

That sounds about right. Never liked him. Hes not a bro like Roche and Foltest. BTW the hottest wench in the game was Foltest's woman. Too bad you couldn't plough her.

Solo said:
You do? GODDAMN, Im glad I didnt go after her in that playthrough. That shit was cold-blooooooooded.
But I wanted to save Triss, fuck Temeria. I don't care about sovereignty. :(

Keikoku said:
Radovid is an heavy motherfucker is this is true.
Roache says it so it must be true. Makes sense too.

Darklord said:
I noticed one touch to detail that was really cool. I went into a cave and fought my way through, spoke at the end and started my way back. I noticed on my way back water had started dripping through the cracks in the roof. When I went loaded back outside it was raining. That's fucking awesome.
Another nice touch is that at the final cutscene after the credits
you can see snow at Geralts feet. TW3 snowstorms confirmed.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DennisK4 said:
You sit there posting your TW2 and Stalker complete screens but can't run this adequately?!!?? What's the world coming to!

Come now, join us won't you.....

witcher22011-05-2722-0enwm.png

witcher22011-05-2722-4qn0v.png

Solo said:
That sounds about right. Never liked him. Hes not a bro like Roche and Foltest. BTW the hottest wench in the game was Foltest's woman. Too bad you couldn't plough her.
Did you play the first game? He really is a shifty prick, born to rule with no real code of honour.

Solo

jim-jam bongs said:
Did you play the first game? He really is a shifty prick, born to rule with no real code of honour.

Played it but once, 4 years ago. Barely remembered him to be honest.

Solo said:
But do you know what happened to
Dethmold
?
Not until I loaded up a save and did Roches finale. Shit is hardcore. Deserved it though.

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah the whole Adda thing is really messed up. Roche was right when he said
that Radovid would kill Adda and marry Anais if Adda didn't give him a son.
That is some true love right there.

LiquidMetal14 said:
You sit there posting your TW2 and Stalker complete screens but can't run this adequately?!!?? What's the world coming to!

Come now, join us won't you.....]
Dennis is Boris' new account confirmed.

Solo said:
Played it but once, 4 years ago. Barely remembered him to be honest.

Basically:

He wants to unite the kingdoms of Redania and Temeria by any means necessary. During the first game you find out that he's allied himself with the Salamanders, then you burst into their hideout and massacre the lot of them as he watches through a magic mirror. Seeing that you're a far more effective ally, and having grown tired of the Salamanders anyway, he decides instead that you're the one to pin his hopes on.

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah the whole Adda thing is really messed up. Roche was right when he said
that Radovid would kill Adda and marry Anais if Adda didn't give him a son.
That is some true love right there.

Ew. That too, I'd forgotten that line.

How could you give up Adda anyway? Am I the only one who gets turned on by Striga?!? Dem deformed boobies.

I think I'm a mess... I don't want to play anything else.

I have so many other games but I don't want to play them. I've tried to put on others but they don't measure up.

What does this mean? I feel really worried and scared because what's going to happen when I grow sick of Witcher 2. It's like I am not even looking forward to anything on the horizon either. I'm completely satisfied at the moment with Witcher 2. It's all I want to do with my time. There is so much to see and explore and do and despite having finished the game I still want to do it all over again and again to see what all of the other choices may have brought for me. I feel like it's a sick addiction!

Also - this is a chapter 3 spoiler on the Roche path

What happens to Triss if you don't save her and go into the Kaedweni camp with Roche? I'm probably going to do it one night this week (possibly tonight after work if I choose to play rather than read or watch a doco that I'm planning to watch) but I don't mind spoilers now that I've finished it once.

ColonialRaptor said:
Also - this is a chapter 3 spoiler on the Roche path

What happens to Triss if you don't save her and go into the Kaedweni camp with Roche? I'm probably going to do it one night this week (possibly tonight after work if I choose to play rather than read or watch a doco that I'm planning to watch) but I don't mind spoilers now that I've finished it once.
Letho saves her. You see her again when you meet Letho in the prologue. She doesn't seem angry with you. You get to leave with Triss AND Roche.

LiquidMetal14 said:
That's it. I'm so tired of this weight limit. Someone link me to that son of the bitch weight mod please! As long as it doesn't break the game or change anything like I'm cheating. It is annoying and I've put up with it for almost 15 hours of the game so I didn't chicken out like 1 hour in :p

I mean, I know there's probably something in the game that increases the 300 limit right?
The wait limit and how is handled was a very smart choice on the devs part, it forces you to utilize the inventory and make decisions. The no weight limit mod breaks the game and its close to cheating.

syoaran

ColonialRaptor said:

I have so many other games but I don't want to play them. I've tried to put on others but they don't measure up.

What does this mean? I feel really worried and scared because what's going to happen when I grow sick of Witcher 2. It's like I am not even looking forward to anything on the horizon either. I'm completely satisfied at the moment with Witcher 2. It's all I want to do with my time. There is so much to see and explore and do and despite having finished the game I still want to do it all over again and again to see what all of the other choices may have brought for me. I feel like it's a sick addiction!

Find something completly different. Currently switched to Okamiden and I'm loving the little gem.

As for the ending, I'm probably one of the stronger advocates for the WTF ending of Witcher2, if only because I felt that the entire Epilogue doesn't show you the background to the events going on.
You get Triss explaining in a 1 1/2 minute exposition what happened,
which I felt robs the player of the experience thats been setup during the entire game.

If I could draw a comparison on how I felt when it happened, I'd match it up to Halo2. It sets up a 3rd game great, but it feels like you were robbed of a decent last act as a result.

Jintor

syoaran said:
If I could draw a comparison on how I felt when it happened, I'd match it up to Halo2. It sets up a 3rd game great, but it feels like you were robbed of a decent last act as a result.

That's exactly how I feel.

Van Buren

ColonialRaptor said:

If you are completely hooked on the Witcher universe, there's still Witcher 1 in store for you after the Roche run. Granted, it requires patience initially in comparison to its sequel, and its mechanics are eccentric compared to the combat systems in other RPGs, but the core ideas of choice, consequence and morality are present in all their glory.

Besides, the Wild Hunt features quite prominently in the first game.

syoaran said:
which I felt robs the player of the experience thats been setup during the entire game.
Care to elaborate on this ? The point of The Witcher works has always been a personal story, and that was perfectly wrapped up by the end. The large-scale political conflicts that are brewing serve as backdrops for Geralt's continuing personal quest is how I interpreted the ending. Expecting the issues of the various political organizations to be neatly tied up like a bow in an extra act seems contrary to what a Witcher's role is defined to be - I doubt even the expansions/sequel would do anything as drastic. Or are you referring to the (ENDING SPOILER)
reveal of the existence of the Lodge of Sorceresses , going by that Triss comment ?

LiquidMetal14

Refreshment.01 said:
The wait limit and how is handled was a very smart choice on the devs part, it forces you to utilize the inventory and make decisions. The no weight limit mod breaks the game and its close to cheating.
I understand the mentality BUT it also is a questionable decision. Why not make it less as some of the stuff weighs a lot (you would imagine). I look at this as a non issue unlike a God mode or some other thing that makes the game super easy.

Aeana

Sigh. That's the second time I've had the game freeze when I tried to open a door at the exact same moment an NPC tried to open it from the other side. So weird.

Van Buren said:
If you are completely hooked on the Witcher universe, there's still Witcher 1 in store for you after the Roche run. Granted, it requires patience initially in comparison to its sequel, and its mechanics are eccentric compared to the combat systems in other RPGs, but the core ideas of choice, consequence and morality are present in all their glory.

Besides, the Wild Hunt features quite prominently in the first game.

Seconding this. For anyone who doesn't read TW1 thread, I'm playing it again now with the Full Combat Revamp and a gamepad and it's awesome. I don't want to be "that guy" but there's a lot of charm lost in TW2 because it's so well designed. It feels like a AAA game, whereas TW1 feels like a janky, low-budget RPG from Eastern Europe which makes up for what it lacks in polish by telling a great story, creating a unique and interesting combat system and just throwing dozens of new ideas at you.

TW2 is inarguably the better game by any objective measure, but I still love TW1.

Coldsnap said:
Let me revise that can I plough Saskia or Sile?

As an Australian I find the concept of ploughing anyone called Sheila really gross.

LiquidMetal14

Aeana said:
Sigh. That's the second time I've had the game freeze when I tried to open a door at the exact same moment an NPC tried to open it from the other side. So weird.
You on 1.0 right? And a 570 with 1GB RAM? How big is your save game folder? And your ini? Sorry for the 20 questions :p

It may have to do with streaming. My only complaint out of a few nitpicks. The game streams and it affects game play. Although limiting, it still is a hindrance at times. I will go from 80 frames down to 30 or lower and back within 2 seconds at times. I would rather see some dark screen for 3 seconds than a stutter or for it just to load huge areas at a time.

I should note that I had lots of those at first but as soon as I altered my ini, those issues have been non existent.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
For the people who completed the game on both paths. Which one is your favorite ?

I'm on my 2nd run now on Roche's path, it's underwhelming. :( I miss the dwarves and elves already :(

LiquidMetal14

Yurt said:
For the people who completed the game on both paths. Which one is your favorite ?

I'm on my 2nd run now on Roche's path, it's underwhelming. :( I miss the dwarves and elves already :(
I'm on my first run still but I chose the
Iorveth
path. It's great and I can't wait to see the other side too.

syoaran said:
As for the ending, I'm probably one of the stronger advocates for the WTF ending of Witcher2, if only because I felt that the entire Epilogue doesn't show you the background to the events going on.
You get Triss explaining in a 1 1/2 minute exposition what happened,
You got the bad ending for a first time playthrough,
you chose to try to save Temeria rather than follow the Witchers path. Should have stayed neutral and saved Triss as she explains the loose ends on the kingslayer plot. She wraps up the plot lines that have been brought into more detail throughout the game. For me it was a logical conclusion of the kingslayer story. The war continues to rage, just as it did in the first game.
Geralt is a Witcher, not a knight. He has no country.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm doing the Troll Trouble quest in Chapter 1, but how am i suppose to do that? I have to make him stop drinking or something, but both dialogue options makes him agressive.

By the way, the Keyran fight was great, very impressive visuals.

qBZx7.jpg

LiquidMetal14

Bisnic said:
I'm doing the Troll Trouble quest in Chapter 1, but how am i suppose to do that? I have to make him stop drinking or something, but both dialogue options makes him agressive.

qBZx7.jpg
You can fight him and wear him down and he will talk more. Give it a go

And yes that boss is nice....

witcher22011-05-2221-3p7zt.png

Fredescu

Bisnic said:
Fight him anyway and the fight stops halfway through.

Van Buren

Bisnic said:

That's supposed to happen. It makes sense when you disturb a drunk troll.

If there is one thing I disliked about the visuals, it's the bloom during the Kayran fight/area. Makes my eyes water just looking at it. Thankfully, it can be turned off.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:
dang, well that's one thing DA has over this game; you could pretty much hookup with anyone.

That is one advantage that TW1 had, almost every female character except for the grannies were ploughable. Aside from the whores and (ch.1, Iorveth)
the elf I saved from the fire
, I only hooked up with Triss. Still, it's an even trade since we have quality cutscenes instead of cards this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom