• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
1stStrike said:
I'll be doing the CDPR/GOG thread here on GAF. Got my images/gifs all ready for it.

Sweet! Pictures gifs and all. :D Just put some warning about lowering your expectations as GOG over-hypes everything.

iNvid02

i was on 275.27 drivers, didnt think i needed to upgrade to the new .37. then i read the release notes and it said the old beta drivers had performance issues in the witcher 2. =O

will update later and see what happens

markot

Banned
Minsc said:
Sweet! Pictures gifs and all. :D Just put some warning about lowering your expectations as GOG over-hypes everything.
At least theyre not pretending to shut down gog.com this time >_<

What the hell was that even for?

Salaadin

markot said:
At least theyre not pretending to shut down gog.com this time >_<

What the hell was that even for?

Wasnt that for a site relaunch or some lame shit? A bunch of us thought they were gone for good and I think I even saw some people question whether or not CDPR would have the cash to finish The Witcher 2 because of it. And here we are, months later. We love GOG again and The Witcher 2 is released and awesome.

What a dumb idea.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I feel that my build is really weak. I survive only due to alchemy but it's hard to expect anything else since I decided to do alchemy build. I'll invest in swordsmanship a bit more.

Salaadin

subversus said:
I feel that my build is really weak. I survive only due to alchemy but it's hard to expect anything else since I decided to do alchemy build. I'll invest in swordsmanship a bit more.

Theres a respec you can do later on but thats not until much later in the game, probably in the last 3 hours or so.

subversus said:
It's hard early on (you'll have to rely on bombs) but soon your buffs will get buffs and you'll have buffs for having buffs active.

By mid chapter two you can be running around with over 100% boost to damage and it gets even crazier.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I contained myself as long as possible. I have a massive backlog of other games and still haven't completed the first Witcher game. But I'm pretty sure I'm pulling the trigger on the 39.99 sale price.

Is it recommended that I finish the first game before starting the second? If so maybe I should wait even longer for a better sale price.

Salaadin

RbBrdMan said:
I contained myself as long as possible. I have a massive backlog of other games and still haven't completed the first Witcher game. But I'm pretty sure I'm pulling the trigger on the 39.99 sale price.

Is it recommended that I finish the first game before starting the second? If so maybe I should wait even longer for a better sale price.

Playing the first game will definitely help you understand some of the story and characters. If youre willing to drop 10 bucks on the first game, do it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Salaadin said:
Playing the first game will definitely help you understand some of the story and characters. If youre willing to drop 10 bucks on the first game, do it.

I already have the first game. It's a part of that massive backlog I was talking about in my first post.

I've put about 15 hours into it according to Steam. I have no idea how longer I have to go. If I remember correctly I'm just now at the
swamp area
. I'm pretty sure I have a really long way to go.

1stStrike

Banned
Salaadin said:

Also, to expand on that, it's worth it IMO. The first chapter is a little dull, but chapter 2 is awesome (you have to do an investigation that can end in multiple ways). Then, there's a kick ass swamp to go into, and later a field of flowers which is unlike anything else I've seen in a game before - I really loved that section. Definitely worth it IMO.

Salaadin

RbBrdMan said:
I already have the first game. It's a part of that massive backlog I was talking about in my first post.

I've put about 15 hours into it according to Steam. I have no idea how longer I have to go. If I remember correctly I'm just now at the
swamp area
. I'm pretty sure I have a really long way to go.

It took me 38 hours. Ive seen it take others up to 60-70...it all depends on your play style, I guess.

The game is split up into chapters. Id say that Chapter 2 and 3 are the longest and, from the sounds of it, youre only on 2. You do have a ways to go yet.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
I'll be disappointed if console W2 is all there is to announce at the conference. It almost seems like there's something more according to the latest news on the official site. Do we really need a full blown CG video for a port?

Kyaw

subversus said:
I wonder if they partner with MS on this.

We'll hear about this today @ 19:00 GMT probably.

Maybe the CG trailer at E3 is for The Witcher 3? :O

Hype rising...
probably shouldn't

Minsc

Gold Member
[rimshot]Hopefully the analog sticks work when they port it to the 360.[/rimshot]

And man will 360 players feel the pain of the inventory weight limit when you're stuck with only a "take all" for looting that atleast PC users can mod away.

Van Buren

Minsc said:
[rimshot]Hopefully the analog sticks work when they port it to the 360.[/rimshot]

And man will 360 players feel the pain of the inventory weight limit when you're stuck with only a "take all" for looting that atleast PC users can mod away.

I'd be surprised if the inventory and prologue made it to the consoles without tweaks and an added tutorial, respectively.

Salaadin

Nezabyte said:
I'll be disappointed if console W2 is all there is to announce at the conference. It almost seems like there's something more according to the latest news on the official site. Do we really need a full blown CG video for a port?

The email says this:
"CD Projekt RED will be making a big announcement, and will also have some other exciting things to share during their Summer Conference livecast. CDP RED will discuss some of the successes of the recent launch of The Witcher 2, and will also map out a plan for continued support for the new title."

Im assuming the big announcement is TW2 for consoles but they also go on to say that they will map out continued support for TW2. That sounds like DLC/expansion/patches to me.
Im curious about the launch successes too. I hope it sold well and I hope they give us some numbers today.

They last worked with Plastique on the first game according to your link. I wonder if that lends any credibility to the thought that theyll be redoing TW1 on the RED engine. Thats a huge stretch but still exciting to think about. Though theyre probably better off lending their talents to new games and TW2 expansions rather than a 2007 game that they kinda re-did once already.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Mmm I wouldn't mind an EE despite already have 2 copies of W2. They need amazing work for the W1EE, so I'd be willing to re-buy. Mo' money for an awesome dev team!

Salaadin said:
I wonder if that lends any credibility to the thought that theyll be redoing TW1 on the RED engine.
That would be a dream come true.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Yes, it's highly recommended. You won't understand/care about the story in TW2 if you skip TW1.

Kyaw

Salaadin said:
The email says this:
"CD Projekt RED will be making a big announcement, and will also have some other exciting things to share during their Summer Conference livecast. CDP RED will discuss some of the successes of the recent launch of The Witcher 2, and will also map out a plan for continued support for the new title."

Im assuming the big announcement is TW2 for consoles but they also go on to say that they will map out continued support for TW2. That sounds like DLC/expansion/patches to me.
Im curious about the launch successes too. I hope it sold well and I hope they give us some numbers today.

They last worked with Plastique on the first game according to your link. I wonder if that lends any credibility to the thought that theyll be redoing TW1 on the RED engine. Thats a huge stretch but still exciting to think about. Though theyre probably better off lending their talents to new games and TW2 expansions rather than a 2007 game that they kinda re-did once already.

Oh man, if they do TW1 on RED Engine, i'll be all over that.

subversus

Van Buren said:
I'd be surprised if the inventory and prologue made it to the consoles without tweaks and an added tutorial, respectively.

yeah, they'll tweak it a lot, I'm sure.

My prediction: 300 000 copies sold by the end of the year.

Salaadin

Kyaw said:
Oh man, if they do TW1 on RED Engine, i'll be all over that.
I would be too. Improved combat + better engine. Id be thrilled but I really dont think itll happen.

subversus said:
My prediction: 300 000 copies sold by the end of the year.

I saw an article yesterday claiming that it topped UK sales charts for the 2nd week in a row so it sounds like its doing good overseas at least. Didnt they first game sell over 1.5 million with most of that coming from Europe?

EDIT: Heres the link Im referring to. It was just the UK:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/303750/news/pc-chart-the-witcher-2-conjures-second-no1/

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
I saw an article yesterday claiming that it topped Europes sales charts for the 2nd week in a row (or was it just UK, I cant remember) but it sounds like its doing good overseas at least. Did they first game sell over 1.5 million with most of that coming from Europe?

Yes, and there's a research firm that was predicting TW2's 1st year sales to be around 1 million, which CDP said they found aggressive but reachable I believe. Very few sales of the original game came from NA.

300,000 seems a bit low, given there were over 110,000 pre-orders.

subversus

Salaadin said:
I saw an article yesterday claiming that it topped Europes sales charts for the 2nd week in a row (or was it just UK, I cant remember) but it sounds like its doing good overseas at least. Did they first game sell over 1.5 million with most of that coming from Europe?

yes, most sales were coming from Russia, Germany and Poland. 150 000 copies sold in NA.

Also I just tried 360 pad again - no thanks. Browsing inventory with shoulder buttons (there are like 10 tabs?!) and totally unresponsive blocking should be fixed asap. I mean when I roll out, stand up with right the trigger already pressed Geralt SHOULD block. Same goes for keyboard block.

Minsc said:
Yes, and there's a research firm that was predicting TW2's 1st year sales to be around 2 million, which CDP said they found aggressive but reachable I believe. Very few sales of the original game came from NA.

No, I meant 300 000 for 360 version.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
Yes, and there's a research firm that was predicting TW2's 1st year sales to be around 1 million, which CDP said they found aggressive but reachable I believe. Very few sales of the original game came from NA.

Id love for them to pull off 2 million. If the first did 1.5mil in its lifetime, its definitely possible for TW2 but I hope its done before the game hits bargain bin prices. As corny as it sounds, I want CDPR to make a killing off this game so their next games can be even better.

Minsc

Gold Member
subversus said:
No, I meant 300 000 for 360 version.

Oh ok. The translated article I was referring too earlier is here. 300,000 seems reasonable for less than two months w/ a 360 version, I'm hoping a little higher though!

subversus

Salaadin said:
Id love for them to pull off 2 million. If the first did 1.5mil in its lifetime, its definitely possible for TW2 but I hope its done before the game hits bargain bin prices. As corny as it sounds, I want CDPR to make a killing off this game so their next games can be even better.

I wonder how it did in Russia this time. The first game sold like 465 000 copies according to 2010 data and it started selling before the financial crisis. And while TW2 had a big advertising campaign (billboards, posters in the subway, countdown clocks in stores) I wonder if people are willing to part with their money since the savings mindset hasn't really changed since 2008. Also the russian version had Starforce which had the same problems as Securom version but also introduced some new bugs. You can't do this shit in a country where buying the game is an act of extreme loyalty to the product. So if they lost a lot of sales in Russia they have to recuperate somewhere else...

Salaadin

subversus said:
I wonder how it did in Russia this time. The first game sold like 465 000 copies according to 2010 data and it started selling before the financial crisis. And while TW2 had a big advertising campaign (billboards, posters in the subway, countdown clocks in stores) I wonder if people are willing to part with their money since the savings mindset hasn't really changed since 2008. Also the russian version had Starforce which had the same problems as Securom version but also introduced some new bugs. You can't do this shit in a country where buying the game is an act of extreme loyalty to the product. So if they lost a lot of sales in Russia they have to recuperate somewhere else...

There were a few issues with the Russian version too. I think the last patch broke some things that they had to fix. Some of that is outlined here:
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/43/

subversus

Salaadin said:
There were a few issues with the Russian version too. I think the last patch broke some things that they had to fix. Some of that is outlined here:
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/43/

they can apologize all the way. When people have to download a pirated version because it's more stable and works better sales will suffer. 1C are stupid asses and don't deserve any money. I root for CD Project because some asshole's decisions from 1C could cost them one of their largest markets.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Wow, the game has barely been out the door. I assume they'll explain this at the conference. Definitely getting an amazing deal for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom