• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
DEO3 said:
Chapter I stuff, I'll just spoil everything since it's getting late.

I'm going through my second play through and I'm surprised at just how much stuff I missed in Chapter I my first time 'round. From quests I missed to dialogue I didn't quite understand my first time through (i.e. who the fuck is Henselt, what is Aedirn, etc.). I originally went with Roche, so I'm looking to side with Iorveth this time - my problem is, the game refuses to give me a good reason to join him, which is probably why I sided with Roche in the first place. At every opportunity his dudes are trying to fuck me. I get off the boat, they're trying to kill me, I'm questing in the forest, they're trying to kill me, I help out one of his agents by lying to Loredo's men and telling them she had nothing to do with the deaths of their comrades, hoping to gain a little good will with them, and instead, she tries to fucking kill me.

I get that by default the story makes you enemies - you're human, you've arrived with the Blue Stripes, and the locals, who you aid for most of the first chapter, are a bunch of ploughing whoresons. But you're not choosing between the locals and the Scoia'tael, you're choosing between Roche, who's had your back all through out, and Iorveth, who you only meet at the very end of the chapter, after his dudes have been trying to kill you non-stop, where he's a complete dick to you. By the time you learn that his motivations are sympathetic it really feels like it's too late to care.

Of course I'll still side with him, because I want to see that half of the game, and I'm sure we'll be cool and all in the next couple of chapters, but I still don't like how rushed the decision is between him and Roche in the first chapter. They really should have had you come in contact with the Scoia'tael sooner, or at least given you a reason not to side with Roche, who has been your ally throughout.

Actually people keep calling you freak and nonhuman for being a Witcher :p So I say siding with him against racism and oppression makes sense.

Jerk

Banned
DEO3 said:
Chapter I stuff, I'll just spoil everything since it's getting late.

I'm going through my second play through and I'm surprised at just how much stuff I missed in Chapter I my first time 'round. From quests I missed to dialogue I didn't quite understand my first time through (i.e. who the fuck is Henselt, what is Aedirn, etc.). I originally went with Roche, so I'm looking to side with Iorveth this time - my problem is, the game refuses to give me a good reason to join him, which is probably why I sided with Roche in the first place. At every opportunity his dudes are trying to fuck me. I get off the boat, they're trying to kill me, I'm questing in the forest, they're trying to kill me, I help out one of his agents by lying to Loredo's men and telling them she had nothing to do with the deaths of their comrades, hoping to gain a little good will with them, and instead, she tries to fucking kill me.

I get that by default the story makes you enemies - you're human, you've arrived with the Blue Stripes, and the locals, who you aid for most of the first chapter, are a bunch of ploughing whoresons. But you're not choosing between the locals and the Scoia'tael, you're choosing between Roche, who's had your back all through out, and Iorveth, who you only meet at the very end of the chapter, after his dudes have been trying to kill you non-stop, where he's a complete dick to you. By the time you learn that his motivations are sympathetic it really feels like it's too late to care.

Of course I'll still side with him, because I want to see that half of the game, and I'm sure we'll be cool and all in the next couple of chapters, but I still don't like how rushed the decision is between him and Roche in the first chapter. They really should have had you come in contact with the Scoia'tael sooner, or at least given you a reason not to side with Roche, who has been your ally throughout.

The decision (when it is made) is not between Iorveth and Roche.
It is between following the Witcher's Path and saving Triss, or taking responsibility and clearing your name.

zonezeus

RedSwirl said:
So I just got to the end of the Death Symbolized quest in Chapter 2 where I had to get the standard from that
ghost dude
. WOW. That's the kind of shit that current gen consoles games would never allow. I
tried to play along off the top of my head but fucked up at the last question and ended up fighting him.

Yeah, that was one cool quest, caught me completely off-guard too. Somehow, I managed to get all the answers right without looking at the guide and I was so fucking proud of myself :)

Yurt said:
He'll miss knowing the story of Saskia, Sile and the dragon if he goes with Roche ! It balances out :p

How could I forget Saskia.

Saskia <3

Yeah, going either way is a means to an end. By the conclusion of chapter 1 both sides are going after the kingslayer it's up to you to pick who.

Roche only has your back because he wants to find the killer of HIS king, it isn't like he's Geralt's bro initially. I'm sure if they hadn't met while Geralt was Foltest's right hand he wouldn't have been so quick to take his word that he did not in fact kill him.

You just so happened to meet Roche under better circumstances than Iorveth

Yurt said:
Good news for you buddy. It's actually bugged and always recommends low for everyone lol.

This post might help http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28106991&postcount=2825

Ah, thank you good sir. I only just got into PC gaming late last year. This is all new to me. I've been looking for a game to push my PC to the limits and make it cry to see what the hub-bub is all about PC gaming. This looks like the perfect game for it. I shall read the Witcher 2 optimization thread like the black dude from Space Balls with the giant comb searching Tatoine. I haven't delved into custom settings yet. I'm sure you guys have been doing this since before you could walk. I feel so excited, yet so scared. Twill be a battle. A battle between man and machine. With the GAF optimization thread by my side I know I won't lose.

Cels

This game has the weirdest bugs.

I'm playing Chapter 2 Roche side right now. There are a ton of fires in the Kaedweni camp. You know how when you talk to NPCs with dialogue options Geralt automatically moves to a specific position for the dialogue cutscene? Well often that position is in the middle of a fire, so after I end a conversation I am standing in a fire.

Dacon

Banned
Cels said:

I'm playing Chapter 2 Roche side right now. There are a ton of fires in the Kaedweni camp. You know how when you talk to NPCs with dialogue options Geralt automatically moves to a specific position for the dialogue cutscene? Well often that position is in the middle of a fire, so after I end a conversation I am standing in a fire.

Yeah, you ALWAYS wind up in a fire after talking/wrestling Pangratt.

Van Buren

Cels said:

It's pretty hilarious since standing on campfires a few times unlocks a perk.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
aeolist said:
I'm a total novice and the very beginning of this game is nearly bad enough to make me give up completely

They seriously need to make this more approachable at the outset

Wait for path 1.2, it nerfs difficulty in the prologue.

Dacon said:
Yeah, you ALWAYS wind up in a fire after talking/wrestling Pangratt.

"...Geralt, you're standing in the fire again!"

tumblr_l7s3epqrld1qdoghio1_500.png

subversus

Bisnic said:
Just beat the game, and wow... Chapter 3 was super short compared to the other 2. Did i miss a lot of sidequests or what?

Also kind of underwheling ending, i was expecting some kind of cliffhanger like Witcher 1. :( So i just killed Letho and leave the city with Roche & Triss...and nothing else?

Have you done Gargoyles contract, Bygone era quest, Mystic River quest?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
subversus said:
Have you done Gargoyles contract, Bygone era quest, Mystic River quest?

Couldnt finish the Gargoyle one, as i couldnt find the informations i needed. Bygone era was stuck because i sold the notes to Dethmold in chapter 2 i think. Mystic River is probably one i missed.

Just started a new game to try Iorveth path, and its funny in the prologue... i start with one set of armor, and after a cutscene, i've got a completely different one.

subversus

Bisnic said:
Couldnt finish the Gargoyle one, as i couldnt find the informations i needed. Bygone era was stuck because i sold the notes to Dethmold in chapter 2 i think. Mystic River is probably one i missed.

Just started a new game to try Iorveth path, and its funny in the prologue... i start with one set of armor, and after a cutscene, i've got a completely different one.

Be careful, it's easier to rush Chapter III with Iorveth than Roche.

Bisnic said:

The info is in the gargoyle rooms..there's no prerequisite for that quest.

subversus

Gully State said:
There's a vendor there that sells it...at least that's where I bought the gargoyle book.

It's the wizard who can craft some badass armor and swords.

The Big Rig said:
I just started playing tonight, and I have to say, this game looks absolutely amazing. And, I really like the combat system. I guess I'm one of those people who likes this Batman AA style combat, especially on PC.
I played Batman AA, stupendous game but i don't understand what made combat so special in the game. Seemed to me like typical beat'em up combat but well executed. People praise and praise the game, also what's the relation with the Witcher 2 combat?
mileS said:
Has anyone tried killing a couple guards in Flotsam and picked to not pay the fine when they ask you? haha that was neat.
The hard way my friend, had a copule of minutes withouth saving :( Same thing happens when
infiltrating the Kadween camp and getting cut.
Also you can get a gameover through a conversation in
the prologue if you give Vernon too much shit

In Flotsam, Aard sign on the barrels, is it to provoke the guards?
Confidence Man said:
I think it was Cedric that sells lures if you already took out their nests.
How do you make proper use of lures?

Already asked the question in the performance thread, but it's a bit slow there at the moment. How's 1.2 working for everybody? Any hits on performance or new problems?

FireFly

Wow, the fight with the first chapter boss,
Letho
, is making me tear my hair out. All my frontal attacks do minimal damage on him, and even attacking him in the back does like 15 damage. I have to slowly chip away at his health for 5 or 10 minutes to get anywhere, and if I get hit once I lose a huge chunk of my health thanks to the bleeding or fire or poison effects.

I'm sure the fight wasn't meant to be this hard. I look at other videos on youtube and the player is at least able to do damage to him with regular attacks. Did I miss out on upgrading my weapon somewhere down the line?

knitoe

FireFly said:
Letho
, is making me tear my hair out. All my frontal attacks do minimal damage on him, and even attacking him in the back does like 15 damage. I have to slowly chip away at his health for 5 or 10 minutes to get anywhere, and if I get hit once I lose a huge chunk of my health thanks to the bleeding or fire or poison effects.

I'm sure the fight wasn't meant to be this hard. I look at other videos on youtube and the player is at least able to do damage to him with regular attacks. Did I miss out on upgrading my weapon somewhere down the line?
Use the steel sword (human) with the hard attack. Just use Quen and avoid him until his shield drops. Then, move in, roll behind him and attack. Repeat. You can also throw in the trap spell. This strategy pretty much works on all bosses, except Karyan.

mileS

FireFly said:
Letho

Once you get the patterns down and know what distance will trigger him to do his different attacks its pretty easy to dodge all that stuff. Only tip I can give you besides knowing when to dodge would be using Aard at the right time. That sign makes the fight really easy, especially if you time it just as his Quen goes down. GL

Didn't notice the post right above me. Personally Quen didn't help me as much on that fight. It was better overall to have Aard ready to go at all times.

knitoe

Asking again, does anyone know how to get the Haggle ability? Starting my 3rd play through on insane. So far, the game doesn't seem to be any harder than Hard difficulty, except if you die, it's game over.

mileS

knitoe said:
Asking again, does anyone know how to get the Haggle ability? Starting my 3rd play through on insane. So far, the game doesn't seem to be any harder than Hard difficulty, except if you die, it's game over.

I thought you could get it a couple of different ways but I guess not. I found this on another forum, hope it helps.

I started a third playthrough just to confirm this (and a couple of other things). I did the possible quests individually so no cross-pollination could confuse the issue. Troll Trouble did NOT give the Haggle ability. The Kayran did, but only after completion (I used the Axii sign). Apparently you have to convince the merchant to double the figure he'd quoted Silé by whatever means you can, then kill the Kayran and return for your reward. You get the ability afterward.

knitoe

mileS said:
I thought you could get it a couple of different ways but I guess not. I found this on another forum, hope it helps.
I started a third playthrough just to confirm this (and a couple of other things). I did the possible quests individually so no cross-pollination could confuse the issue. Troll Trouble did NOT give the Haggle ability. The Kayran did, but only after completion (I used the Axii sign). Apparently you have to convince the merchant to double the figure he'd quoted Silé by whatever means you can, then kill the Kayran and return for your reward. You get the ability afterward.
Using Axii sign, I got the double pay option on 2 play through and didn't get the Haggle ability. There's something else I am missing. Wondering, if you need to get an advance on payout, threaten guy instead or something else.

mileS

knitoe said:
Using Axii sign, I got the double pay option on 2 play through and didn't get the Haggle ability. There's something else I am missing. Wondering, if you need to get an advance on payout, threaten guy instead or something else.

hmm thats strange. Its even in the witcher wiki

Haggling - "-20% to price of items in shops." Convince the merchant to double the fee by using the Axii sign during The Kayran: A Matter of Price quest in Chapter 1. You get the ability after defeating Kayran and picking up payment from the merchant.

Looking through the list on the wiki is kind of neat. Lots of stuff you can miss. They are saying you can get the "Strong Back" ability (Total Capacity: +50) by losing a fistfight if you miss it in the prologue.

Cover - "Damage reduction: +10%." Stay under Triss's protective umbrella without exiting during the begining of Chapter 1.
damnit I always seem to go outside of that thing, getting a little eager to kill the dudes that come after you in that part.

subversus

FireFly said:
Letho

1)Use strong attacks
2)Roll and attack him from behind
3)Use quen
4)Block but remember he can use aard.

C2Q

Banned
This may sound stupid but...I just got the game off a buddy. Anyway I just started and I'm on the flashback part where you have to defend the king and get to the ballista and all that good stuff. Thing is, I die so fast. I mean fighting the 3 dudes defending it kills me ridiculously fast. I spend more time running than fighting and just need to keep hitting & running over and over. And this is on normal difficulty :(

C2Q said:
This may sound stupid but...I just got the game off a buddy. Anyway I just started and I'm on the flashback part where you have to defend the king and get to the ballista and all that good stuff. Thing is, I die so fast. I mean fighting the 3 dudes defending it kills me ridiculously fast. I spend more time running than fighting and just need to keep hitting & running over and over. And this is on normal difficulty :(

Use the Quen sign and roll alot. The beginning of the game is pretty hard. Do you have the 1.2 patch?I've heard that makes the prologue much easier. If you have the Steam version you're stuck waiting like me though.

subversus

C2Q said:

patch the game, it nerfs the prologue.

also there's roll, there are plenty of signs, blocking and etc

RedSwirl

The curse circle in Chapter 2 is another great example of the game just letting you figure shit out. If this were any console AAA game there'd be some kind of big flashing starat button that would automatically bring you to
Dethmold's Grimorie

subversus

RedSwirl said:
The curse circle in Chapter 2 is another great example of the game just letting you figure shit out. If this were any console AAA game there'd be some kind of big flashing starat button that would automatically bring you to
Dethmold's Grimorie

Yes, another "puzzle" where I had to use a pen and paper. It wasn't hard like puzzles in Chapter III but I had to draw the figure and put down numbers. Also I liked how you can highlight places.

Solo

Kyaw said:
Oh yeah quick question, in the prologue, what happens if you choose not to do the flashback events in order?

Nothing. I did them randomly my first playthrough and in order on my current playthrough.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Chapter 2 subquest question:

How do I pass the harpy nest quest? I have two harpy traps, and I put them down around one of the lakes that the harpies fly down into, and they just fly right over them. What am I supposed to do?

C2Q

Banned
By the way. Where is the setting for AF? Maybe I'm blind or something but I can't see it in the configurator.

Kyaw

FlyinJ said:
Chapter 2 subquest question:

How do I pass the harpy nest quest? I have two harpy traps, and I put them down around one of the lakes that the harpies fly down into, and they just fly right over them. What am I supposed to do?

It doesn't work on those harpies, i tried the same...

The ones in question are found at the quarry site, you will get there by doing the main quest line.

C2Q said:
By the way. Where is the setting for AF? Maybe I'm blind or something but I can't see it in the configurator.

You gotta force it i'm afraid. :(

FireFly

subversus said:
1)Use strong attacks
2)Roll and attack him from behind
3)Use quen
4)Block but remember he can use aard.
I'm doing all that stuff already. I'm usually fine until he knocks me down with aard, I get hit with a stray bomb while waiting to recharge, and I lose a third of my health bar. It's like I can take 3 hits from him, and he can take 50 from me.

subversus

C2Q said:

beware that the game sometimes sets textures to 1024 even if you're on ultra. You should manually edit user.ini then. No AF is needed on that resolution imo.

Solo

FireFly said:
I'm doing all that stuff already. I'm usually fine until he knocks me down with aard, I get hit with a stray bomb while waiting to recharge, and I lose a third of my health bar. It's like I can take 3 hits from him, and he can take 50 from me.

One word: YRDEN. Thats how I beat him.

FireFly

FireFly said:
I think there's some kind of bug with my game. In the video he's doing 25+ damage in each hit. I'm doing minimal damage, or now, from behind, up to 5 damage. I just spent 20 minutes trying to beat him, and I must have hit him 50+ times.

I guess I'll have to move down to easy at this point.

subversus

FireFly said:
I think there's some kind of bug with my game. In the video he's doing 25+ damage in each hit. I'm doing minimal damage, or now, from behind, up to 5 damage. I just spent 20 minutes trying to beat him, and I must have hit him 50+ times.

I guess I'll have to move down to easy at this point.

are you sure you're doing a strong attack? and what sword do you use? What damage does it have (I hope you aren't using silver one)?

also the amount of damage you do depends on your strength and build in general.

knitoe

FireFly said:
You need to wait until his Quen (shield) is down before attacking. With it up, he takes no damage, and you either get hurt or your Quen takes damage which leaves you open to his attacks. His Quen is either lvl 2 or 3. If you can get your Quen to lvl 3 before facing him, he's a piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom