• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
FireFly said:
I think there's some kind of bug with my game. In the video he's doing 25+ damage in each hit. I'm doing minimal damage, or now, from behind, up to 5 damage. I just spent 20 minutes trying to beat him, and I must have hit him 50+ times.

I guess I'll have to move down to easy at this point.

Are you using the Silver Sword
lol
, if not, what sword are you using?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
knitoe said:
You need to wait until his Quen (shield) is down before attacking. With it up, you either get hurt or your Quen takes damage which allows him to damage you. His Quen is either lvl 2 or 3. If you can get Quen to lvl 3 before facing him, it's a piece of cake.

I think he is not doing it. I also had problems with Letho the first time but he was a piece of cake on my second walkthrough on hard. I put some daggers into him but could do him with my sword only.

subversus

FireFly said:
I'm using a steel 'long sword' with 8-11 damage.

It won't let me select the silver sword anyway.

that's EXTREMELY bad sword. Should've crafted/bought/found a better one. I was fighting him with 18-25 sword or something like that + oil.

Solo

Finally into Chapter 2 on the Ioverth path. Loved how the opening was the same as on Roche's path, but from the opposite side of the negotiations.

Also, lol @ Ioverth for offering me lembas.

FireFly

Well, I switched to easy, and it went from being impossibly hard to ridiculously easy. I guess I'll have to find a decent sword now.

FireFly said:
Well, I switched to easy, and it went from being impossibly hard to ridiculously easy. I guess I'll have to find a decent sword now.

The issue doesn't seem to be the quality of the sword but the type of sword. Seeing that you're not familiar with how the swords work I assume that you didn't play the first game, which means that you would have lost your silver sword to the dragon in the prologue. You should have a quest in your inventory to craft yourself a new one.

Basically, steel swords do like 50% less damage against monsters (10 / 2 ~= 5).

Solo said:
Finally into Chapter 2 on the Ioverth path. Loved how the opening was the same as on Roche's path, but from the opposite side of the negotiations.

Also, lol @ Ioverth for offering me lembas.
Ioverth >>>>>>Roach.

subversus

FireFly said:

switch back to normal. Letho made a lot of people switch to easy. But seriously find a sword, even though it could be too late in this chapter (depends on your decision about Iorveth).

Also every time you'll find yourself stuck with some monster think a bit about tactic or read books. I was trying to beat a Golem two days ago with sword only (didn't have bombs on me) and spent an hour trying. Then I read the book I bought and came up with a tactic. Killed him in a minute or so. Same with Letho.

But you have to keep up with your equipment. Always try to get the best armor/sword it's really important in this game. Also use oils and potions.

jim-jam bongs said:
The issue doesn't seem to be the quality of the sword but the type of sword. Seeing that you're not familiar with how the swords work I assume that you didn't play the first game, which means that you would have lost your silver sword to the dragon in the prologue. You should have a quest in your inventory to craft yourself a new one.

he was using a steel sword.

FireFly

jim-jam bongs said:

No, I get all that (and did play the original Witcher). We're talking about a (human) boss fight. The game doesn't even allow to select a silver sword for that part.

The problem was his armor was absorbing all my sword's damage, so my damage output was basically zero.

Edit: nm then.

subversus said:
switch back to normal. Letho made a lot of people switch to easy. But seriously find a sword, even though it could be too late in this chapter (depends on your decision about Iorveth).
I just did that. Anyway, I guess I was fooled because the game wasn't too hard up until this point, even with a shitty sword. It does seem like this game really requires you to have the right tools, in certain situations.

subversus said:
I guess you decided to
save Triss
in chapter III on Roche's path, eh?
Nope, I went with him to deal with you know who.

3ve90.png

-----------------------------------------------------------Ioverth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roach------------------------------------------------------

subversus

MickeyKnox said:
-----------------------------------------------------------Ioverth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Roach------------------------------------------------------

nah

Kyaw said:
Any particular reasons why Iorveth is better than Roche?
Ioverth has a character arc, Roach just stays a dumbass the entire time

Can't really go too much into it without spoiling a ton of shit.

Also that isn't to say that the Roach path of the game isn't awesome, just that as characters Roach is far less interesting than Ioverth

subversus

Kyaw said:
Any particular reasons why Iorveth is better than Roche?

I can't find any. I went with him because I wanted to see this mysterious queen of rebels and Zoltan seemed to be willing to go with Iorveth. I find Iorveth's efforts meaningless. He won't get what he wants ever. Also he seems to hate humans too much to stay on the way
Saskia proposes

As far as the plot bifurcation for the cosmology of the Witcher, Roach's path leaves the world in a worse position going into Witcher 3 than Ioverth's.

Complistic

MickeyKnox said:
As far as the plot bifurcation for the world of The Witcher, Roach's path leaves cosmology in a worse position going into Witcher 3 than Ioverth's.

As a Witcher I don't think geralt really cares.

FireFly said:
I just did that. Anyway, I guess I was fooled because the game wasn't too hard up until this point, even with a shitty sword. It does seem like this game really requires you to have the right tools, in certain situations.

Definitely in terms of equipment. Unlike the first game, where you can basically finish it on hard using the starting swords because talents are more important, TW2 requires you to always be equipping the new hotness.

subversus

MickeyKnox said:
As far as the plot bifurcation for the world of The Witcher, Roach's path leaves cosmology in a worse position going into Witcher 3 than Ioverth's.

Hm, it depends on which position you consider worse. My Iorveth playthrough left the world in a worse state than Roche's playthrough.
my Iorveth path: Saskia's is still indoctrinated and while Sile is alive I doubt she'll be able to rule her land well and attain her goals, so Iorveth's efforts were in vain. Temeria is still divided, so it won't be able to oppose Emperor's army well. my Roche path: Temeria is united, Dethmold and Henselt are dead, Saskia is dead but sorceresses won't be able to use her, while her ideas are alive (I guess) among rebels. But as I think that Elves are desperate anyway and bound to extinct I see no real reason to support them other than personal preferences. Except Saskia's idea was about peace between non-humans and humans and not about elves only.
Oh well, there's no right decision, that's what I love about this game.

subversus said:
Hm, it depends on which position you consider worse. My Iorveth playthrough left the world in a worse state than Roche's playthrough.
my Iorveth path: Saskia's is still indoctrinated and while Sile is alive I doubt she'll be able to rule her land well and attain her goals, so Iorveth's efforts were in vain. Temeria is still divided, so it won't be able to oppose Emperor's army well. my Roche path: Temeria is united, Dethmold and Henselt are dead, Saskia is dead but sorceresses won't be able to use her, while her ideas are alive (I guess) among rebels. But as I think that Elves are desperate anyway and bound to extinct I see no real reason to support them other than personal preferences. Except Saskia's idea was about piece between non-humans and humans and not about elves only.
Oh well, there's no right decision, that's what I love about this game.
The empire crossing the river into Roach's completely destabilized northern kingdoms is going to have a much easier go of it than the empire crossing the river into Ioverth not quite as fucked up north, militarily speaking.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Complistic said:
As a Witcher I don't think geralt really cares.

You'd think :p Based on his flashbacks you can tell that he cares a bit.

I think the Witcher 3 is gonna be the point of no return and you simply can't be neutral in it. Shit hit the fan and it's from your ass.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Uhm, guys? You do realize when you say Iorveth > Roche or Roche > Iorveth you're basically just saying My opinion > Your opinion ?

I got a huge bug In chapter two.... This is real Frustrating: I got 2-3 Rotfiend that are unable to be killed, I'll slash them into oblivion, no life bar under their titles. THey keep chasing me.

The only way I found to get rid of them was to run into a path full of NPC to keep them occupied but now I'm nearly at the end of Act 2 I guess and nobody's around and I can't go inside
Hensalt's camp.

THey Keep chasing me.

Help!

Saskia a badder motherfucker than Roche confirmed.

In Prelude To War
Upper Aedirn have Stennis offer her to Henselt
and listen to what she says.

Jenga

Banned
I liked Iorveth's path simply because
it lets you save the most. Stennis and Saskia. I didn't actually have Geralt kill anyone on my first playthrough. Oh, and like someone else said, it leaves the North in a better position to fight the Niilfgaardian invasion. As said above, the only one nation kinda sorta fucked up is Temeria. Everyone else has their leaders alive and well, and i like to think they'll quit bitching at each other as soon as the black ones come a-knockin

Jerk

Banned
Jenga said:
it lets you save the most. Stennis and Saskia. I didn't actually have Geralt kill anyone on my first playthrough. Oh, and like someone else said, it leaves the North in a better position to fight the Niilfgaardian invasion. As said above, the only one nation kinda sorta fucked up is Temeria. Everyone else has their leaders alive and well, and i like to think they'll quit bitching at each other as soon as the black ones come a-knockin

But
Stennis
is such a dick though.

Salaadin

Act 2 Iorveth path/book spoilers
So after just reading "The Limits of the Possible" short story from The Sword of Destiny, I noticed that they mention only gold dragons can take on human form. Would you guys consider Saskias dragon form to be gold? I dont have any screens handy but I remember it being brownish...

Van Buren

Jenga said:
it lets you save the most. Stennis and Saskia. I didn't actually have Geralt kill anyone on my first playthrough. Oh, and like someone else said, it leaves the North in a better position to fight the Niilfgaardian invasion.

Roche and Iorveth paths SPOILER :
How does it leave the North in a better position ? Saskia's power is hardly significant, since all she is concerned over is having control over Upper Aedirn. Henselt and Radovid still covet Temeria, and depending on your choices, Stennis could have declared himself the ruler of the rest of Aedirn. The issue of numerous politicking rulers still remains.

Going Roche and supporting Henselt or Radovid eliminates the friction caused by Saskia's rebellion, and allows either of these two monarchs to annex another kingdom. Sure, it's a dick move, but Roche's path offers a scenario where at least one other ruler is eliminated and his/her kingdom is assimilated by another king. End result is that there are fewer warring monarchs in the Roche path, which could lead to greater stability. Is it the righteous or neutral path ? No, but Roche's path does offer cold political decisions that could lead to the Northern Kingdoms being under the rule of two powers, rather than the 3-4 rulers + in the other path.

Salaadin said:
So after just reading "The Limits of the Possible" short story from The Sword of Destiny, I noticed that they mention only gold dragons can take on human form. Would you guys consider Saskias dragon form to be gold? I dont have any screens handy but I remember it being brownish...
Geralt asks Saskia this if you manage to free her from the spell. I think her reply was that she was too young or something. She certainly said that she can assume only one human form as opposed to the many forms her father can take.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jerk said:
But
Stennis
is such a dick though.
One person being a dick isn't enough to completely decimate the North and leave it open for Nilfgaardian invasion.

Van Buren said:
How does it leave the North in a better position ? Saskia's power is hardly significant, since all she is concerned over is having control over Upper Aedirn. Henselt and Radovid still covet Temeria, and depending on your choices, Stennis could have declared himself the ruler of the rest of Aedirn. The issue of numerous politicking rulers still remains.

Going Roche and supporting Henselt or Radovid eliminates the friction caused by Saskia's rebellion, and allows either of these two monarchs to annex another kingdom. Sure, it's a dick move, but Roche's path offers a scenario where at least one other ruler is eliminated and his/her kingdom is assimilated by another king. End result is that there are fewer warring monarchs in the Roche path, which could lead to greater stability. Is it the righteous or neutral path ? No, but Roche's path does offer cold political decisions that could lead to the Northern Kingdoms being under the rule of two powers, rather than the 3-4 rulers + in the other path.

I can bet you it won't matter in the end.
Two rulers, 4 rulers. Nilfgaard is still going to absolutely steamroll the North. It's in bad shape already, and Letho just set off the powder keg.

Salaadin said:
Act 2 Iorveth path/book spoilers
She claims that she isn't a gold dragon since she can only take on one humanoid form (a human).

Maybe it was a mistranslation or some such because according to the game gold dragons can take on any humanoid form.

Salaadin

toasty_T said:
She claims that she isn't a gold dragon since she can only take on one humanoid form (a human).

Maybe it was a mistranslation or some such because according to the game gold dragons can take on any humanoid form.

When does she address this? I just started Act 3 and dont recall it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Salaadin said:
VERY VERY end of the game.

Van Buren

thetrin said:
I can bet you it won't matter in the end.
Two rulers, 4 rulers. Nilfgaard is still going to absolutely steamroll the North. It's in bad shape already, and Letho just set off the powder keg.

While I think that is likely,I wouldn't discount the possibility of the Northern Kingdoms waking up and uniting against the common threat. Geralt alludes to this possibility when Letho says that invasion is about the begin and that there is no hope for the Northern Kingdoms.

thetrin

Van Buren said:
While I think that is likely,I wouldn't discount the possibility of the Northern Kingdoms waking up and uniting against the common threat. Geralt alludes to this possibility when Letho says that invasion is about the begin and that there is no hope for the Northern Kingdoms.

The possibility is there, but
they start at a disadvantage. Sickness and plague is at its height, crowns are changing hands too quickly, and nobles are too busy trying to figure out whose dick they need to suck to stay in power. Pretty much from the end of the prologue onward, the Northern Kingdoms are right fucked.

I want to see the North put up a fight, but it's going to be very ugly, and very bloody.

Varna

Just updated to 1.2...

Any way to delete all this DLC shit? They give you way too much. I just want to start out with the default stuff. :(

EDIT: In the cookedPC folder just delete what you don't want. Is the merchant.zip for the dlc shop?

Didn't realize import a save gave you so many damn oils and upgrade stones either. Looks like vanilla game is the best route for difficulty.

Salaadin said:
Oh crap, sorry about the spoiler. I assumed that since you were talking about the
dragon
you finished the game already.

thetrin

I think people are underestimating Saskia's goals.
Yes, she only cares about Upper Aedirn during the events of Witcher 2, but nothing says she won't fight for the North when Nilfgaard comes knocking. It would be stupid for a dragon to just say "fuck you guys, you can go die. Ima just hang out with my throng of dwarven sex slaves". If she bows out of a war with Nilfgaard, the rest of the North won't be able to hack it, and then Nilfgaard will come rapping on Vergen's door.

End spoilers on Iorveth path:

Did anyone else think Saskia kind of dismisses Iorveth at the end after (if) you save her? She doesn't seem very grateful that it was his squirrels that turned the battle in their favor and everything he's done for her. Just seemed a bit strange to me.

Salaadin

toasty_T said:
Oh crap, sorry about the spoiler. I assumed that since you were talking about the
dragon
you finished the game already.

Actually, youre ok. I shouldve specified. This is my second playthrough :p

Van Buren said:

Geralt asks Saskia this if you manage to free her from the spell. I think her reply was that she was too young or something. She certainly said that she can assume only one human form as opposed to the many forms her father can take.
A massive invasion that will require all the northern peoples to join together to even come close to putting up a fight is beginning as the epilogue unfolds, so having more kingdoms with intact command structures and a new nation governed by a brilliant military leader under which all non-humans can rally.... is a big boost to the north's collective military strength compared to state of complete chaos that Roach's path leaves.
DualShadow said:
End spoilers on Iorveth path:

Did anyone else think Saskia kind of dismisses Iorveth at the end after (if) you save her? She doesn't seem very grateful that it was his squirrels that turned the battle in their favor and everything he's done for her. Just seemed a bit strange to me.

She dismisses the notion that the two of them could become an item as Geralt implies, since she digs dwarf cock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom