• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salaadin said:
Thanks. I was hoping I didnt miss it.
If the story you just finished is the one LostConfused linked a plot summary of the other day then all I will say is that you will appreciate your chat with Saskia more than most.

Van Buren

MickeyKnox said:
A massive invasion that will require all the northern peoples to join together to even come close to putting up a fight is beginning as the epilogue unfolds, so having more kingdoms with intact command structures and a new nation governed by a brilliant military leader under which all non-humans can rally.... is a big boost to the north's collective military strength compared to state of complete chaos that Roach's path leaves.

The "join together" part is what I'm most skeptical about in the Iorveth run. Too many monarchs with too many vested interests coming together seems to be a recipe for backstabbing and disaster.

The Roche path leaves the existing command structures in turmoil, but it also opens the path for the remaining rulers to command the Northern Kingdoms to come together through sheer force. For instance, Temeria annexed by Radovid, and Henselt taking over Aedirn as well. Given that they're both snakes driven by political lust rather than ideals, I can see a short-term truce working better between the two, since Saskia, Henselt and Stennis aren't exactly the best of chums.

Either way, the North is fucked.

Van Buren said:
The "join together" part is what I'm most skeptical about in the Iorveth run. Too many monarchs with too many vested interests coming together seems to be a recipe for backstabbing and disaster.

The Roche path leaves the existing command structures in turmoil, but it also opens the path for the remaining rulers to command the Northern Kingdoms to come together through sheer force.[/B] For instance, Temeria annexed by Radovid, and Henselt taking over Aedirn as well. Given that they're both snakes driven by political lust rather than ideals, I can see a short-term truce working better between the two, since Saskia, Henselt and Stennis aren't exactly the best of chums.

Either way, the North is fucked.

That's the problem, taking over a kingdom means dealing with it's population and the military leaders/units still loyal to the previous ruler, so you have two kingdoms that won't be participating, 2 that are dealing with internal military struggles, non-human unrest through those 4 and the rest of the kingdoms, against the biggest and most powerful army in the world. Compared to having all the kingdoms capable of mustering an army + all the extra man power from not having to deal with non-human unrest as well as having said non-humans providing more troops that would otherwise not be fighting. And the monarchs will join together because they have to if they want to keep their kingdoms, it's what happened before and is the reason Nilfgard sets the events of the game in motion, to cripple the north. Ioverth's path is simply the one where the least amount of what Nilfgard wants comes to pass.

matmanx1

So I'm almost finished with Chapter 2, Iorveth's path but I'm missing the quest called "Succubus" in my journal. I remember the elf telling me about the missing males right at the beginning of the chapter but nothing was added to my journal from that conversation. Was it supposed to be or is there something else I've overlooked?

I don't want to proceed into the last stage of the Chapter without finishing everything else first and it's about the only one I haven't completed.

Van Buren

MickeyKnox said:
That's the problem, taking over a kingdom means dealing with it's population and the military leaders/units still loyal to the previous ruler, so you have two kingdoms that won't be participating, 2 that are dealing with internal military struggles, non-human unrest through those 4 and the rest of the kingdoms, against the biggest and most powerful army in the world. Compared to having all the kingdoms capable of mustering an army + all the extra man power from not having to deal with non-human unrest as well as having said non-humans providing more troops that would otherwise not be fighting. And the monarchs will join together because they have to if they want to keep their kingdoms, it's what happened before and is the reason Nilfgard sets the events of the game in motion, to cripple the north. Ioverth's path is simply the one where the least amount of what Nilfgard wants comes to pass.

I doubt that the participation of the two annexed nations will be entirely ruled out under their new leaderships. Radovid asserts proxy control over Temeria by controlling Anais, a puppet ruler, while Henselt bribes his way into the Aedernian nobles' hearts through promises of land, etc. It's shaky control, yes, but Radovid's and Henselt's journal entries suggest that have the shrewdness to withstand the political adversity caused by political dissidents. The non-humans will be a wildcard in this case though, I agree. But I do wonder if Iorveth's defeat in the Roche run will shatter the morale of the non-human insurgent groups everywhere.

The Northern Kingdoms banding together in the past made me think it would be feasible in the future too, but the situation has markedly changed in the Iorveth run. Temeria is weakened with the various infighting nobles, and Aedirn's situation is hardly better with Stennis looking to assert control. Losing the services of Saskia was a big blow to the Roche side argument, but a question remains - can Saskia look past her ideals and demonstrate the ruthlessness needed to make up for the fall in power in Temeria and Aedirn?

That said, both paths have their advantages and drawbacks, and like the rest of the Witcher universe, things are left ambiguous and are entirely a matter of perspective.

HooYaH

matmanx1 said:
So I'm almost finished with Chapter 2, Iorveth's path but I'm missing the quest called "Succubus" in my journal. I remember the elf telling me about the missing males right at the beginning of the chapter but nothing was added to my journal from that conversation. Was it supposed to be or is there something else I've overlooked?

I don't want to proceed into the last stage of the Chapter without finishing everything else first and it's about the only one I haven't completed.

You had to do the quest in the beginning
before accusation of Stennis. So don't do "Where is Triss Merigold" yet.

Kaldea

Finally beat the game just now after being sidetracked for the past couple weeks.
I was really hoping for something Yennefer related in this game so I'm extremely happy with how she was added and how she's still alive in the end with plenty of hope for TW3.
Such a great game overall and it's definitely my GOTY so far.

I'm also really surprised how much I ended up enjoying Iorveth's character. I'll have to give Roche's path a try next.

1stStrike

Banned
Kaldea said:
Finally beat the game just now after being sidetracked for the past couple weeks.
I was really hoping for something Yennefer related in this game so I'm extremely happy with how she was added and how she's still alive in the end with plenty of hope for TW3.
Such a great game overall and it's definitely my GOTY so far.

I'm also really surprised how much I ended up enjoying Iorveth's character. I'll have to give Roche's path a try next.

Same. It was really hard for me to choose his path on the first play through, but by the end I was just like "Man, Iorveth is awesome." Which is why I need to go back and make things right after I
let him get the shit kicked out of him in chapter 3

Ok, this was a really good game. I just played for 6 hours straight without realizing it, right through to the end. The game is a lot shorter than I was expecting, and the ending kinda sucked, but it was a lot of fun. Even though it barely qualified as running on my comp, I just got sucked in.

And speaking of Iorveth, I'm in love with his accent. I want it.

sflufan

Banned
God's Beard said:
Ok, this was a really good game. I just played for 6 hours straight without realizing it, right through to the end. The game is a lot shorter than I was expecting, and the ending kinda sucked, but it was a lot of fun. Even though it barely qualified as running on my comp, I just got sucked in.

It's not quite as short as you think as Chapter 2 is COMPLETELY different (both main and side quests) depending on the choice you make!

God's Beard said:

Looks like you only did one run. The game is designed for 2 runs minimun to get the mayority of the events and the bigger picture. One important decision in the prologue and vastly different chapters 2 and 3.

Ended sucked, im asuming you mean the prlogue, for the people adapted to conventional thinking. That its, expecting a big cinematic to wrap things up.
Solo said:
Speaking of accents, Saskia's is fairly "the fuck is that?!"
Speacking of accents, i liked Letho's voice in the first trailer of the game, it seems changed for the final release. I'll check out later to see if im wrong.

toasty_T said:
OMG, I smashed the succubus

DAT HOOF
awesome. That quest was really fun.

Finally beat it last night. I one hitted big guy with a whole bunch of snares and lol'd my way to the end. great stuff CdpRed. Going to go the Roche path next. cant wait.

Soule

Just beat it for the first time... and it crashed during the credits lol. I read an article that it's only sold like 400k atm, I really hope that it picks up, such an amazing game. The best part of it for me was the feeling of weight behind each decisions, never stopped to contemplate my actions so much as I did during this game.

Salaadin

toasty_T said:
OMG, I smashed the succubus

DAT HOOF

I killed that bitch!!
and then someone on gaf told me the truth. RIP :(

I finished Iorveths side Act 2 last night
and think that this will be the save I bring into any sequel/expansion/whatever. It just feels so "right" and is a hell of a lot more interesting than Roches side. Funny thing is that when I initially picked Roche my first time around, I felt a little bad about it because Iorveth, while misguided in his views, has a pretty worthy cause to fight for. The Squirrels are far too terroristic for my tastes though and that was my big deciding factor. It was nice to see Iorveth start to come around in Act 2.

Roche is on your side no matter what you do. Even after you meet up with him on Iorveths path, he still gives you information and saves your ass in the Nilfgard camp and then disracts the guards so you can get Henselts blood. Hes a good guy and doesnt seem all too bitter by your choice to side with Iorveth despite his hatred for him.

Soule said:
Just beat it for the first time... and it crashed during the credits lol. I read an article that it's only sold like 400k atm, I really hope that it picks up, such an amazing game. The best part of it for me was the feeling of weight behind each decisions, never stopped to contemplate my actions so much as I did during this game.

That 400k was in its first week. I dont think they ever gave 2nd or 3rd week numbers but I thought that 400k was pretty good for a game like this - PC exclusive from a relatively unknown Polish developer. Hopefully it has good legs and keeps selling well.

sflufan

Banned
Soule said:

Either you misread the article or the article was wrong. The game sold 400,000 units in its first week of release.

Soule

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. It's good to hear that then. Such an amazing game, I'm keen to start another playthrough and make different decisions this time but I didn't realize it's already midnight here.... Played like 5 hours and it felt like a blink of the eye.

Salaadin said:
I killed that bitch!!
and then someone on gaf told me the truth. RIP :(

I went straight in and slayed that bitch (in the not good way) the first time too
It was mostly because I had no idea you could take that blade fragment and prove that elf dude was killing everyone.

The poor succubus just wants our manly essence :( She gives you some decent armor too that has +50% bomb damage

Yeah Darklord, it's a Iorveth side quest called With Flickering Heart.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Soule said:

Most multiplatform games can't approach these numbers in NA for a month. TW2 did it in one week, so "only" is really inappropriate.

edit: beaten.

subversus

MickeyKnox said:
The empire crossing the river into Roach's completely destabilized northern kingdoms is going to have a much easier go of it than the empire crossing the river into Ioverth not quite as fucked up north, militarily speaking.

Iorveth's people are just guerillas and mean nothing in the grand scheme. They can't unite with any kingdom until shit gets real. And kingdoms were more distabilized on my Iorveth path than on Roche's path. Also Iorveth got handicapped at the end of my walkthrough, so he won't be able to act as a commander for at least a few months if ever.

Salaadin said:
I killed that bitch!!
That's discrimination against species! My case?, let's say Geralt and Dandellion became Milk brothers that night 8D

Really liked how ambiguos everything felt the whole time.
Realized i was missing something when i was in the catacomb doing the autopsy since Geralt said he couldn't extract the object from the body. So i made my way back to merchant and bought the tools. So i ended up doing it right the first time. Too bad they don't allow the option to kill her if the player wants.
In Witcher 1 i liked how i ended up slashing everyone.

subversus

Refreshment.01 said:
That's discrimination against species! My case?, let's say Geralt and Dandellion became Milk brothers that night 8D

Damn... I'll do this quest once again on my next playthrough.

While all this kingdom talk is interesting, I'm more curious about what exactly is the wild hunt and what exactly are they doing with geralt and yennifer( yes I know that they are probably elves from another world trying to open up a bigger rift with magic as the theory goes) I get the distinct impression that all this political backdrop will be glanced over in the inevitable sequel since there are so many permutations. I mean I imported my save from Witcher where I sided with the squirrels and yet outside of one order warrior attacking me and the rest being cold... There wasn't much of an implication due to my choices in the last game. I suspect it'll be the same as the sequel will probably start with nilfgard already having conquered the north.

subversus

Gully State said:
While all this kingdom talk is interesting, I'm more curious about what exactly is the wild hunt and what exactly are they doing with geralt and yennifer( yes I know that they are probably elves from another world trying to open up a bigger rift with magic as the theory goes) I get the distinct impression that all this political backdrop will be glanced over in the inevitable sequel since there are so many permutations. I mean I imported my save from Witcher where I sided with the squirrels and yet outside of one order warrior attacking me and the rest being cold... There wasn't much of an implication due to my choices in the last game. I suspect it'll be the same as the sequel will probably start with nilfgard already having conquered the north.

I doubt it. The first game was on a different engine. I guess we'll deal with north in expansions, that's why so many threads left loose.

subversus said:
Damn... I'll do this quest once again on my next playthrough.
I forgot to ask in the previous post:
So the user has a brief control of Dandellion in the quest, my instinct was to go directly to the succubus lair. But can you instead go to Geralt? What's the difference?

I'll go for a third run, with patch 1.2, but im debating what path to chose. Iorveth has a strong case since think if i decide
to let Stennis die, then chapter 2 can change a lot.
On the other hand my incentive to go with Vernon would be
in chapter 3 to rescue 1 of the bastard sons of Foltest
I don't like to do the load save thing since its kind of cheating to me :D
Gully State said:
While all this kingdom talk is interesting, I'm more curious about what exactly is the wild hunt and what exactly are they doing with geralt and yennifer( yes I know that they are probably elves from another world trying to open up a bigger rift with magic as the theory goes)
This totally. Since i haven't read any of the books that has been the biggest revelation to me in both games, really ancious to see where this is going. It reminds me of the
vampire twist
in Gantz.

Edit: I got challenged by a Flaming Rose warrior and i didn't import anything.

RedSwirl

I just started Chapter 3 and I still can't get used to how good this game looks. Damn.

However, I at least wish they'd let me get a weight limit upgrade to around 400. I've just started selling all my common crafting components until I actually need them. I know there's the mods but I'd rather not mode the game in any way that changes the balance.

subversus

By the way I started Blood of Elves and didn't like it at all. I'll try today once again.

RedSwirl said:
I just started Chapter 3 and I still can't get used to how good this game looks. Damn.

However, I at least wish they'd let me get a weight limit upgrade to around 400. I've just started selling all my common crafting components until I actually need them. I know there's the mods but I'd rather not mode the game in any way that changes the balance.
Maybe CDProject could have allowed a sort of game+ in which the player kept books, formulas and diagrams. That way between armor, glove and strong back the user would have available an extra 85 to carry.

Darklord said:
Faeries? Not as cool as [end spoiler]
parallel universe elf avatars

Gotta be more to it then that...The King of the Wild Hunt in the original Witcher looks nothing like an
elffffffffffff

subversus said:
By the way I started Blood of Elves and didn't like it at all. I'll try today once again.
As opposed to The Last Wish? I'm enjoying that a fair bit so far, favorite story has to be The Lesser Evil with A Grain of Truth close behind.

It's pretty neat how close the game scenarios emulate the ones in the book.

Darklord

Banned
Gully State said:
Gotta be more to it then that...The King of the Wild Hunt in the original Witcher looks nothing like an
elffffffffffff

They were wraiths controlled by the elves like avatars and that the elves would be nothing like what they know of.

Salaadin

subversus said:

Most people I see talk about it seem to agree that the short story collections are better than the novels. The Last Wish was great and I really like that bit of Sword of Destiny that I read yesterday.

I wish theyd translate them already. You would think that with all the current buzz around the games, theyd want to maybe capitalize on that but I guess the games are great sellers in the US so they probably dont see a market for it.

I wonder who handles the series overseas and if there are any plans for English translations over there. Id import if that were the case.

subversus

toasty_T said:
As opposed to The Last Wish? I'm enjoying that a fair bit so far, favorite story has to be The Lesser Evil with A Grain of Truth close behind.

It's pretty neat how close the game scenarios emulate the ones in the book.

The Sword of Destiny is the best book so far. The Last Wish was ok.

I loved Blood of Elves. That said, both it and The Last Wish seem to take an approach where the most important events all happen between stories, which is an interesting device, but not what most readers are used to.

I really enjoyed The Last Wish and would love to read The Sword of Destiny, but I'm particularly upset that the UK version of the next novel, Times of Contempt, has apparently been pushed back to 2012, and there is not date for the US yet. I am contemplating reading it in Spanish just so I don't have to wait so long.

If nothing else, it becomes much easier to understand Triss after reading the Blood of Elves. It also introduces Shani and several characters who play a role in the second game.

Forkball

Quick question: I beat original game and want to copy my game file over. I don't have the first game installed on my new computer, but I do have the save files. How does the save transfer work? Is it automatic or do you get to pick you file through some sort of browser system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom