• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

wiggleb0t said:
Stopped playing this halfway through Chapter 2 when 2.0 was mentioned.

Aside from combat I hope performance and other graphic/engine issues have been optimized.

744mb patch mmmm chunky.

Performance is still rubbish on tri 5870 with each gpu being utilized roughly 40% yet framerate still dipping into mid 20s in intense scenes.
Vsync still does not work.
Health bars still not present all the time (think this is ATI related only) catalyst 11.10
:(
I get a consistent 40+ fps on a single 5870 maxed outside of uber, with custom settings higher than what the GUI settings allow. Soooo you might want to disable xfire for this one.

bigjimmystyle said:
Awesome thanks very much!

Happy to help. The buttons are all labelled in Xpadder so you should be able to get the hang of it but the important parts are:

- left stick move, right stick look (as you would expect)
- right-trigger is attack, left is loot/interact but I think that X is "auto-loot" which you'll want to use most of the time, especially for collecting herbs
- the dpad selects your sword and stances

Also clicking down on the right stick is Enter I believe, you'll understand why when you start buying stuff ;) If you have any questions just shoot me a PM.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Hm, what happened to the UI? The target marker and target name are wayyyyyyyyyy too small now. Or am I the only one?

I noticed that in 16:10 resolutions with the prior 1.3 patch and went back to 16:9 and it went away. I really don't mind the slight borders. I tried out the tutorial (finished it), it's not too impressive, feels rushed. It gets the job done I suppose, but without the level of Witcher-ness you'd expect... they really could have come up with something wittier or more interesting. It's short though, so you move past it pretty quickly.

I think a side effect of everyone complaining about the voices being too quiet is in the tutorial it sounds like everyone is screaming at each other in my headphones now, I'll have to see if I can adjust the voices down a bit when I remember.

Skilletor

The Kayran is destroying me. :(

Also, I didn't know the battle was going to start after a cutscene and it saved there. I didn't get to drink the potion.

epmode

Minsc said:
I noticed that in 16:10 resolutions with the prior 1.3 patch and went back to 16:9 and it went away. I really don't mind the slight borders.
That worked for me too. I'm so used to the borders from other console ports I guess I don't mind either.

wutwutwut

Complistic said:
Valve has a verification process for patches.
Nope. (Scroll down to the Auto-updating section.)

There was probably just a delay in uploading the patch. Witcher 2 doesn't use the new content system yet, so to avoid the problems we initially saw it distributes the patches as exes and runs them at startup.

Complistic

This game is like sex for my eyes.

witcher2201109292207525.png

witcher2201109292238353.png

Skilletor

jim-jam bongs said:
That it may be, but had you been playing like that your current dilemma could have been avoided.

No worries. Just beat him. Pretty cool boss fight. Camera was annoying when the thing started thrashing and I missed wasn't expecting a QTE so it hit me and I died once, but I liked it.

This game is awesome. :)

oh that's why i got shit framerate. i didn't realize i was using CCC to control my AA and all that lol. (saw that Dead Island was going at 8fps lolwut) so i guess i can max out Witcher 2 again lol.

Is it considered very important to play the first game before this? I bought the first game during a Steam sale, but never finished it, and now the $29.99 price tag has me thinking about grabbing it.

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Is it considered very important to play the first game before this? I bought the first game during a Steam sale, but never finished it, and now the $29.99 price tag has me thinking about grabbing it.

You won't be missing out on a huge amount in terms of story but I'd urge you to finish it, or your mother may be accused of orally pleasuring the penises of short men.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Did the patch really boost anyone else's performance? Holy shit, I'm averaging 60 fps with a goddamn i3-2100 and Radeon HD 6850 (both stock). I've seen it hit 100 even. The hell?

My settings:

witcher2.png

Before the patch, with these exact settings, I was averaging about 45 fps. Huge fucking improvement. :O

Also, the scene where
Foltest is murdered was executed brilliantly and really got to me.
(Early game spoilers.)

I am just so impressed by the voice acting in this game (as well as the music and visuals and all that good stuff).

-Mikey-

The whole game. It failed time and time again for about 10 minutes but it finally started to download. It was fetching the download size or something and would then crap out.

Anyways, I bought this off of GOG a month or so back during a sale and decided not to play since I wanted to go in fresh with this update. Can't wait to play this all weekend. :)

Le-mo

I was finally able to get The Witcher Enhanced Edition to run smoothly with the help of D3DOveridder and am liking it so far. If the game manages to keep my interest towards the end I will definitely pick this one up.

Complistic

Le-mo said:
I was finally able to get The Witcher Enhanced Edition to run smoothly with the help of D3DOveridder and am liking it so far. If the game manages to keep my interest towards the end I will definitely pick this one up.

If you like the beginning, well the game only gets better as it goes. So enjoy.

Skilletor

(._.) said:
It should become second nature to hit the quick save key often when playing a CRPG. It feels dated but I don't mind it.

I'm playing on my couch with a 360 pad. When I start playing, the keyboard isn't in a convenient place.

Eusis

FallingEdge said:
So GOG or Steam, it doesn't matter where I get it?
Now that getting on both would cost the same as a new PS3/360 game do that!

... Seriously though, I'd tip to GoG. Unless you're an achievement whore you'd be supporting the developers, and it's not a problem to redownload from. That, and you get the artbook there if you want that, that'd be enough to tip me if I didn't want a physical version more (plus I'll probably rebuy from there when it's $20 or $10 just for that).

Wallach

So I popped into the game for a minute to try out the new controls in patch 2.0, and I have to say it's a big improvement. Honestly I thought the controls were pretty shit before, but they feel pretty responsive now. Not Demon's Souls responsive but satisfying enough; I had no problem going through the prologue on Dark mode.

Now to decide if I want to do the first run on Dark mode. As long as Rage isn't too long of a game I should have time to run finish TW replay and do one run of TW2 before Skyrim hits. I don't think I want to waste it doing one of the lower difficulty settings, and I'll at least have Insane saved for something to do later.

Hawk269

I think the tutorial was pretty good. It did it's job in explaining the menu and how to do some stuff that first time players may not be able to grasp at first. The game seems a bit more polished as well and the playability (with controller) is even better.

I have to hand it to the team, no other company goes out of their way to support a game like they do (outside of mmo's) and all this stuff has been free. If it was f'n EA we would have been charged for Arena and Dark Mode.

Bravo CDPR...keep the updates coming....

1stStrike

Banned
I'm waiting for a significant DLC before I do another play through of TW2. I already went through it twice, and though the new additions sound great, I really want to save a 3rd run for more story as that's ultimately what I'm interested in. So, once they get out an expansion pack with another chapter or something, I'm game.

At least, I hope that's on their todo list.

Minsc

Gold Member
1stStrike said:
I'm waiting for a significant DLC before I do another play through of TW2. I already went through it twice, and though the new additions sound great, I really want to save a 3rd run for more story as that's ultimately what I'm interested in. So, once they get out an expansion pack with another chapter or something, I'm game.

At least, I hope that's on their todo list.

It is pretty nice how the arena mode is entirely separate from the main game, so you can enjoy it without needing to play the game again. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds fun the way you earn money and can buy additional fighters/upgrade equipment & abilities between waves. What kind of scores are people getting, so I can realize how awful I am at the combat.

Solo

Derrick01 said:
Is anyone else not able to access the steam overlay in the game anymore? Looks like the patch borked it for me.

Honest question: what is the need to? I can't recall a single instance using Steam when I've felt compelled to pull that up.

Solo said:
Honest question: what is the need to? I can't recall a single instance using Steam when I've felt compelled to pull that up.
Even in single player games it's nice to bring it up to browse Facebook/GAF! In multiplayer games it's quite essential for chat etc. Steam overlay is <3

Right, patch out. I'm busy today, but I can definitely start it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can finish it in time for Dark Souls on Friday, so I'm gonna enjoy this ride at last!

Solo

Rushing through The Witcher 2 for Dark Souls? Son, I am disappoint. Lucky for you it can be beaten in that timeframe.

A week is hardly rushing! It only took me 26 hours to play The Witcher according to Steam. I can easily knock that out in a week.

And it will be a fight between this and Dark Souls for RPG of the year, I'm sure. (Sorry Skyrim)

Salaadin

The tutorial area was pretty nice. I ended up getting annoyed with all the interruptions though since I know all the controls.

Started up a dark mode run. Let's see how long it takes before I lose my patience and rage quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom