• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:
Honest question: what is the need to? I can't recall a single instance using Steam when I've felt compelled to pull that up.

Well the reason why I was trying was to check if there were any new achievements (there doesn't appear to be any). But it's never a good thing to take an option away from me no matter how small or meaningless someone else thinks it. I'm pretty sure it's just a bug anyway, there's quite a few in this patch.

Dries

RedSwirl said:
Holy shit. This is the kind of shit you expect from a fan-made texture pack. Vanilla art assets never look this good.

It is just vanilla Witcher 2, right? Just making sure.

AEREC

Arena is pretty cool. Too bad I havent played the game in a while and my combat is a bit rusty.

Also wish they had some achievements for Dark mode and the Arena.

Skirn

Any tips on how to beat
The Operator
?

His summoned minions don't hurt me too much, but his spells... holy crap do they dish out damage. Focusing on taking out the minions first results in me getting hit by The Operator's spells and thus killing me. It's nigh impossible to roll around and dodge both the minions' attacks and The Operator's spells due to the small size of the room. I always seem to get stuck between a wall and the two fucking Gargoyles, which leads to Geralt being BBQ'd by a fireball. The farthest I've come is getting his health down to 50%.

Salaadin

Any early impressions on Dark Mode? I saved right at the beginning but then had to leave. Im curious about how touch it is. Any shots of the new "Dark" themes items?

Derrick01

Banned
Salaadin said:
Any early impressions on Dark Mode? I saved right at the beginning but then had to leave. Im curious about how touch it is. Any shots of the new "Dark" themes items?

Well I'm only in the prologue still but it doesn't feel that much tougher than Hard. I still take a ton of damage if someone hits me, sometimes even a 1 shot but beyond a very slight raise in enemy stats I don't see a difference, like there hasn't been more enemies in an area or anything like that.

I guess it's because I'm good with the game's combat system but I don't feel a huge change. I'm interested in these new items though.

Eusis said:
Now that getting on both would cost the same as a new PS3/360 game do that!

... Seriously though, I'd tip to GoG. Unless you're an achievement whore you'd be supporting the developers, and it's not a problem to redownload from. That, and you get the artbook there if you want that, that'd be enough to tip me if I didn't want a physical version more (plus I'll probably rebuy from there when it's $20 or $10 just for that).

Word. Will get it from GoG then.

SoulClap

Skirn said:
Any tips on how to beat
The Operator
?

His summoned minions don't hurt me too much, but his spells... holy crap do they dish out damage. Focusing on taking out the minions first results in me getting hit by The Operator's spells and thus killing me. It's nigh impossible to roll around and dodge both the minions' attacks and The Operator's spells due to the small size of the room. I always seem to get stuck between a wall and the two fucking Gargoyles, which leads to Geralt being BBQ'd by a fireball. The farthest I've come is getting his health down to 50%.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29191106&postcount=12789

Salaadin

Derrick01 said:
Well I'm only in the prologue still but it doesn't feel that much tougher than Hard. I still take a ton of damage if someone hits me, sometimes even a 1 shot but beyond a very slight raise in enemy stats I don't see a difference, like there hasn't been more enemies in an area or anything like that.

I guess it's because I'm good with the game's combat system but I don't feel a huge change. I'm interested in these new items though.

Hmm thanks.
Im going straight from Normal to Dark so I might notice it more but its nice to hear that its not terribly hard. My second Normal playthrough was a cakewalk since I knew the combat systems and everything. Im hoping for a nice difficulty spike.

Solo

I don't think the game is too terribly difficult on any difficulty. In fact, they are all kind of the same - very punishing to start, but they get much easier as you level.

Salaadin

Solo said:
I don't think the game is too terribly difficult on any difficulty. In fact, they are all kind of the same - very punishing to start, but they get much easier as you level.
When it first came out, I had a lot of act 1 problems but those are all gone now

Salaadin

Solo said:
I think most of us did. But by Act 2, I was mowing everything down.
Yeah, act 2 was simple in comparison. Act3 had one fight that was infuriating to me but that was mostly me not utilizing everything at my disposal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Has anyone ever noticed or read exactly how the AI is changed for the insane (and now also dark) mode? That's supposed to be one of the differences I remember a few people were curious in seeing.

partime

Question, I just passed the first nudity scene (easiest way to put it),
What am I suppose to do with all items I collected?

How do you level up? The game didn't thoroughly go it. I just seem to be carrying a conversation I know nothing about, and acting out things I don't understand.

great game, but I am missing something? What the hairy hell is going on?

Solo

partime said:

How do you level up? The game didn't thoroughly go it. I just seem to be carrying a conversation I know nothing about, and acting out things I don't understand.

Use, craft or sell items. Press C to level up.

partime said:

Perhaps you should have started with the new tutorial? It covers everything you just asked about.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just played through the tutorial and damn, I had forgotten just how good this game looks.

Chinner

Banned
i agree, but you're going to find a lot of resistance from bf3 fanboys who have been caught up in the marketing campaign. i casually stated that i thought witcher 2 looks better and they all started crying and stuff.

So four hours in and I think it's better than the original in pretty much every way.

First of all, this game is the perfect example of why all of the people who claim consoles are "good enough" or that developers gain nothing by pushing technology are absolutely retarded. This game looks absolutely fucking amazing. Better yet? With everything maxed (ubersampling and bloom turned off) it runs like an utter dream. 40-60fps at all times. It's not just nice to look at, though, it feels magical to walk through this place. To jump down into the sewer and have the water reflect the monsters that are creeping about in the shadows, or to walk around the Flotsam forest and watching the sun shine through the greenery above onto your path just feels more immersive than any other fantasy game I've ever played. Maybe more immersive than any other game I've ever played - it would certainly be close. Yes, it's always nice to improve graphics for something to stare at, but it also has an important impact on the game. Graphics are extremely important for building a world that makes you feel something and CDP get that.

Secondly, the combat is hugely improved. Is it quite on the same level as Demon's Souls? For me, I say no. The depth and complexity is clearly there, but it just doesn't feel quite as satisfying to me. Compared to the HORRENDOUS combat in the original, though? It's like night and day. I'm so glad they basically took their combat system and completely re-worked it because as much as I love the original game, I'm not sure I could've done 30 more hours of that combat in this one.

The pacing and story seem to be much better presented this time, also. Now that I'm in chapter 1 and doing side quests it's opened up more and the same focus on exploration and investigation that dominated the first game is present once again, but it's framed by wonderful prologue that really pushes you through the action (
A motherfucking dragon
) whilst building a strong narrative. It feels like they've got the mixture just right so far.

I'm playing it on easy, so no real trouble yet so far. I imagine it was probably harder pre-patch, but then again it's only going to be so challenging when playing on easy in the first place. I know, I'm a pussy, but I want to soak up the world and story, not re-load quicksaves every five minutes.

My only complaint is the menus are fiddly to navigate, possibly mostly down to the controller. But after four hours that's it - one complaint!

Also, I forgot how much I love Triss. What a great character.

Chinner said:
i agree, but you're going to find a lot of resistance from bf3 fanboys who have been caught up in the marketing campaign. i casually stated that i thought witcher 2 looks better and they all started crying and stuff.
BF3 look better? Haha. It looks damn nice, but it's not even in the same league.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Foliorum Viridum said:
all of the people who claim consoles are "good enough" [...] are absolutely retarded.
Lol. I'm pretty sure the 360 version of Witcher 2 will be "good enough" to play for many. Similar to how it's "good enough" to play on many lower end PCs out there, which doesn't in any way imply all of them wouldn't prefer a better looking game if they had the option for it, but still aren't gonna purchase (or upgrade) another system until they feel they need it for more than just a better looking Witcher 2, a game that isn't even that great, or at least as great as it should have been (yes it's my opinion, not an objective fact, feel free to disagree). Differing priorities and all. If you find all those retarded, God damn at some people's superiority complex, just due to their rig, lol.

Alextended said:
Lol. I'm pretty sure the 360 version of Witcher 2 will be "good enough" to play for many. Similar to how it's "good enough" to play on many lower end PCs out there, which doesn't in any way imply all of them wouldn't prefer a better looking game if they had the option for it, but still aren't gonna purchase (or upgrade) another system until they feel they need it for more than just a better looking Witcher 2, a game that isn't even that great, or at least as great as it should have been (yes it's my opinion, not an objective fact, feel free to disagree). Differing priorities and all. If you find all those retarded, God damn at some people's superiority complex, just due to their rig, lol.
There are lots of people who insist graphics won't get any better and/or don't need to. Those are the people I was talking about. They're simply wrong.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
So four hours in and I think it's better than the original in pretty retarded..

Secondly, the combat is hugely improved. Is it quite on the same level as Demon's Souls? For me, I say no. The depth and complexity is clearly there, but it just doesn't feel quite as satisfying to me. Compared to the HORRENDOUS combat in the original, though? It's like night and day. I'm so glad they basically took their combat system and completely re-worked it because as much as I love the original game, I'm not sure I could've done 30 more hours of that combat in this one.

I'm playing it on easy, so no real trouble yet so far. I imagine it was probably harder pre-patch, but then again it's only going to be so challenging when playing on easy in the first place. I know, I'm a pussy, but I want to soak up the world and story, not re-load quicksaves every five minutes.

You miss a sizable chunk of combat on easy because enemies can't block.

zlatko

Banned
So I tried out the arena and I think I got to wave 78 before I had to quit out. Shitty thing for me is it stopped recording/giving me points after the 4th wave, and it wouldn't let me upload even that measly score. I had a glitch too where I couldn't open my inventory for whatever reason, but luckily it only happened after 3 different waves and wasn't consistent.

All in all arena is fun, and I may give it another whirl later. It seriously gets ridiculously hard pretty quickly at around wave 30+ I'd say. My major gripes with it at its core though is that the A.I. buddies you can hire are just a waste of money, including the 1K gold witch. They just sit there and eat enemy hits and do piss for damage. WTF is the point? It's much better to dump your money into the bombs that start with a Z I believe and do 10-30 damage, while they also freeze/stun enemies in place. If you see a whirl of yellow "dizzy" effect dust around an enemies head when you use one of these, and go up to them and swing your sword, then you get the canned animation for an insta kill. Having these is a much better use of gold than anything I can think of.

Also, fuck werewolves. :(

Dennis

Banned
Chinner said:
you mean like this?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28106991&postcount=2825

also i dont get why people play games on easy but thats okay whatever works for you i guess.
I don't understand either. I am playing Deus Ex on the toughest difficulty and with all assists turned off.

All the best gaming experiences of my life has been with games that were rock hard but in the good way - forcing you to think and utilize all your abilities.

Crysis is a gimped game on anything but Delta difficulty.

Marco1

Really enjoying this but there's just something wonky about the using a controller.
Hard to explain but it feels weird and wrong, pity as it's a great game.
I think I will pick up the 360 version in the hope that the analog controls are fixed.

Wallach

DennisK4 said:
I don't understand either. I am playing Deus Ex on the toughest difficulty and with all assists turned off.

All the best gaming experiences of my life has been with games that were rock hard but in the good way - forcing you to think and utilize all your abilities.

Crysis is a gimped game on anything but Delta difficulty.

I wouldn't recommend starting on the hardest setting this time, since it involves permadeath. Dark has the same difficulty scaling for enemies (from what I understand anyway), has additional items specific to that mode on top of that, but removes the permadeath restriction from Insane. That's the one I plan to start with.

Dennis

Banned
I am thinking that Insane is just that. No way I am losing 10 hours+ and doing over.

Dark is supposed to preserve the difficulty but remove perma-death so that is my choice.

One problem with the first game is that it got too easy later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom