• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luthos

Typographenia said:
Take it with a grain of salt, obviously, but searching "the witcher 2" on gamespot brings up results on pc, 360, and ps3.
Well I'm pretty sure we know CD Projekt hopes to make console versions. But it may or may not come to fruition. Plus it'd probably take a while.

But if I love the game as much as I expect to, I'll probably buy a console version as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would double dip on a PS3 version if competent enough. Coming from a high end PC release will be very difficult to stomach though as I know the consoles will not be the powerhouse as the PC but if the game is built with consoles in mind, I may be surprised.

RedSwirl

Shit. I have 48 hours to get through the second half of The Witcher. When precisely does the GOG version unlock anyway? Midnight EST of the 17th?

I think at this point in time, Witcher 2 is going to be the best looking game of all time.

Unfortunately, we don't have the official release to see what the absolute best graphics look like, but the graphics in the trailers IS NOT IT.

There is some pretty big aliasing in those trailers and with a powerful enough computer that will be able to be fixed up, so I imagine what we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think in comparison to Crysis 2, it seems to be technically better - but we won't know until we see it running. Crysis 2 was a technical marvel to run as well as it did, while looking as good as it does on systems with relatively moderate specs.

Witcher 2 seems to be in a similar situation.

Battlefield 3 will probably over-take this as the best looking game I imagine (in terms of technical accomplishment) however I also imagine it's going to take a more beefy machine to run it at those settings. There's nothing wrong with that, and DICE have more time to allow for the technology to catch up a bit with their game - I mean, the next generation of graphics cards should be coming out before their game launches.

The thing that I most like however, is that it's getting harder to tell the difference. Like, the games are getting to look SO good that there is not much that you can say to fault them in most areas. The current consoles don't currently have the graphical prowess to punch out graphics as good as this (well I suppose you could argue that Crysis 2 made it to consoles and that was an amazing accomplishment but it was quite down-graded in resolution and AA), but I imagine the next generation will. This is good. It's not quite the greatest time in games yet, but I definitely think that gamings best years are still to come.

I still believe that thing such as the holo-band or the holodeck in Caprica or Star Trek will become a reality at some point. When that happens... (which I hope it does in my life time) would there be any point to living in the real world any more?

Luthos said:
Well I'm pretty sure we know CD Projekt hopes to make console versions. But it may or may not come to fruition. Plus it'd probably take a while.

But if I love the game as much as I expect to, I'll probably buy a console version as well.

If they really made tw2 without any regard for console limitations, they are going to be in for a lot of frustration when trying to port it (without butchering the looks).

This may be incredibly selfish and piss some people off, but I kind of want them to fail at their attempt.
I just don't see them build their next game from the ground up for pc (ignoring any design limitations they might face on consoles) for their next game if they were to succeed, even if they claim they would.
People are lazy by nature, if there is a shortcut they will take it, good intentions or not.

@ colonial: if you have seen the movie tangled you'd know that there is still a long, long LONG way to go with computer graphics in games.
Or take a look at some of the cutscenes in ff13 if you aren't convinced by tangled.

Animation probably still has the longest way to go... looking up a few clips of the movie reminded me how awesome the animations are.

Hawk269

Kaldea said:
If they do release it on consoles, I'll most likely get another copy myself.

Well the 360 is very PC centric in design, so I would imagine they could port it relatively easily, and we have to remember they have some portion of it already running on the consoles since it started as cross platform, but then they stopped working on console version to focus on the PC version. But based on the the way the game looks, I would assume they would have to have it running at a very low scale and at 720p or below then upscaled to 720p.

Personally, what I would do if I were them is wait for the next batch of consoles, they should be powerfull enough to run the game at a probably a high level without much compromise to the game itself. We also have to remember that this would be a new IP on the console and they tend to do much better at a launch of a new console since gamers are more likely to try a new franchise game.

Although I love my consoles, the fact that the PC version plays with a 360 controller, so for me there would be no reason to play the same game at what I would assume would be half or more graphics settings.

Tokubetsu

ColonialRaptor said:
I think at this point in time, Witcher 2 is going to be the best looking game of all time.

Unfortunately, we don't have the official release to see what the absolute best graphics look like, but the graphics in the trailers IS NOT IT.

There is some pretty big aliasing in those trailers and with a powerful enough computer that will be able to be fixed up, so I imagine what we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think in comparison to Crysis 2, it seems to be technically better - but we won't know until we see it running. Crysis 2 was a technical marvel to run as well as it did, while looking as good as it does on systems with relatively moderate specs.

Battlefield 3 will probably over-take this as the best looking game I imagine (in terms of technical accomplishment) however I also imagine it's going to take a more beefy machine to run it at those settings. There's nothing wrong with that, and DICE have more time to allow for the technology to catch up a bit with their game - I mean, the next generation of graphics cards should be coming out before their game launches.

The thing that I most like however, is that it's getting harder to tell the difference. Like, the games are getting to look SO good that there is not much that you can say to fault them in most areas. The current consoles don't currently have the graphical prowess to punch out graphics as good as this (well I suppose you could argue that Crysis 2 made it to consoles and that was an amazing accomplishment but it was quite down-graded in resolution and AA), but I imagine the next generation will. This is good. It's not quite the greatest time in games yet, but I definitely think that gamings best years are still to come.

I still believe that thing such as the holo-band or the holodeck in Caprica or Star Trek will become a reality at some point. When that happens... (which I hope it does in my life time) would there be any point to living in the real world any more?

I'm glad it looks good, I am but I'm more concerned about how it'll run. That'll be the biggest thing. If it looks good AND has a stable/great performance on that engine...just sex.

Tokubetsu said:
I'm glad it looks good, I am but I'm more concerned about how it'll run. That'll be the biggest thing. If it looks good AND has a stable/great performance on that engine...just sex.

If they weren't bullshitting about the performance on a gtx260 then it will run smooth as a baby's bottom on a high end pc.

Snapshot King said:
Im more worried about how it'll run on a dual core 4850 system. I dont care much for settings, I can play at low 720p no problem and then enjoy the shinies way down the line, but basic performance at the lowest acceptable level is a concern.
Well there's only so much you can expect from an old graphics card is there?
This isn't highhorse talk, I have a 4870 myself and am also hoping it'll run okay.

It's the way things always used to be, pc's become more powerful at a fast rate, games quickly take advantage of it, your old hardware feels aged.

We are kind of spoiled lately (in a very backwards way) by having so many console lead ports that work well on old hardware simply because they aren't pushing it.

I remember back when I bought my card back in the summer of 2008 that every game except for crysis and gta4 was a joke, all 80-150 fps with every setting maxed and 4-8x msaa.

Only a couple of years before that you'd buy a high end pc just to be able to play the newer games at higher settings. AA was something for older games if you wanted to maintain a good framerate.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Same here. My PC is nice but it's not a beast. Aside from running it in the proper resolution, a solid 60fps is top priority for me and I hope I don't have to compromise much to make it possible. Thankfully the outstanding art will remain regardless of my settings. :)

Tokubetsu

4870x2 here and I think one of them is on it's way to gfx card heaven. I'm just praying it holds together enough for at least one run through haha.

SneakyStephan said:
If they weren't bullshitting about the performance on a gtx260 then it will run smooth as a baby's bottom on a high end pc.

Im more worried about how it'll run on a dual core 4850 system. I dont care much for settings, I can play at low 720p no problem and then enjoy the shinies way down the line, but basic performance at the lowest acceptable level is a concern.

Hawk269

ColonialRaptor said:

See, that is one of the things that is worrying me about the game a bit. If the "official trailers' show aliasing issues as you mentioned and "THEY" are the ones that made the game and "THEY" are the ones making these trailers, why wouldnt "THEY" make the trailer the best it can be by running it on a high end rig? I mean, when you show your game, you want to show it at absolute best, why wouldnt they have done that?

Is it because what we are seeing is the best that can be had? If it can be better and the developers of the game cant afford or have a rig that could make it look beter what are the chances that anyone would?

I am not saying the game looks bad, on the contrary, it is the most amazing looking game I have seen. But reading the post above it makes it sound like some are suggesting there is alot of room to improve it even more?

So, what kind of rig would MAX this game out?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Minsc said:
It seems I am! That makes more sense then, I remembered it incorrectly (thought it split after the outskirts). I still stand by a 40 hour playthrough as a starting point. Chapter 1 was really really long then, just take some of those prologue hours and spread them over chapter 1 and two.
You would have to really stretch it to even get close to 10 hours. I think 7-8 would be maxing out the area, while 5-6 for completing pretty much everything. I think the only thing I missed was one of the romance card options.

bengraven said:
Am I the only one who loved the outskirts? I got there on the demo and it was enough to make me want to buy the game.
I actually enjoyed it very much too. It has annoying re spawning hounds and lots of tracking, but I thought most of it was pretty well done. Most of the quests were unique and most felt like they actually had a purpose to either characters or story lines going on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
RedSwirl said:
Shit. I have 48 hours to get through the second half of The Witcher. When precisely does the GOG version unlock anyway? Midnight EST of the 17th?

I read earlier in this thread that the GOG version will be released midnight GMT, so that would make it around 7pm EST and 4pm PST on the 16th if I'm not mistaken.

Van Buren

Pics of the artbook from Bioware Social, of all places, has me on the brink of picking up the collector's edition as well.

Credit goes to the poster, FlintlockJazz, for snapping pictures of the inside of the artbook -
357d3fdaa29f7864a7ec4a97bc3d4b5d5f0d98d7.jpg
72cafc3df88c3f04f8a7e6e8b8d759e72dfe2357.jpg

78bc1238c0bb825ab4bbf2d3a175ebdb83d4f14d.jpg

Apparently, there is a sizable Witcher fanbase over at Bioware Social following the debacle of Bioware's recent efforts.

Zefah said:
I read earlier in this thread that the GOG version will be released midnight GMT, so that would make it around 7pm EST and 4pm PST on the 16th if I'm not mistaken.

Wait seriously? That's awesome! Can you find the confirmation?

graywolf323

Snapshot King said:
Wait seriously? That's awesome! Can you find the confirmation?

http://www.gog.com/en/support/the_witcher_2/_b_product_faq_b_

When can I download The Witcher 2?
You can predownload the game now. You'll get almost the entire game and, on May 16 at 10:00 PM GMT, you will only need to download a tiny chunk of the installer and you're good to go. You can't possibly get your hands on The Witcher 2 faster anywhere else on the Internet. Of course you'll be able to redownload the game as many times as you like, should the need arise.

so that's 6PM EDT (only 4 hour offset due to daylight savings time)

Hawk269 said:

Hopefully my rig ;)

I think CD Project seem to be the kind of people not to 'over emphasize' things. I think they are making their trailers on a system with recommended hardware as to not 'bullshot' the trailers and therefore allow for people with the recommended hardware to be mighty impressed when they run the game and it looks exactly like the trailers.

If you read the previews, the game was able to run and look incredibly good on relatively low hardware so it's been tuned and optimised very well for lower end hardware, however for the higher end hardware and the really graphical intensive effects they are also able to be pumped right up for the people with beefy systems.

We will find out soon enough.

SneakyStephan said:
@ colonial: if you have seen the movie tangled you'd know that there is still a long, long LONG way to go with computer graphics in games.
Or take a look at some of the cutscenes in ff13 if you aren't convinced by tangled.

Animation probably still has the longest way to go... looking up a few clips of the movie reminded me how awesome the animations are.

So tangled is the pinnacle of animated movies now? I haven't seen it and have never really been that interested in it (I tend not to like the latest Disney 3D movies... recommend it? I'll try catch it if it's worthwhile to see...

Also - I'm well aware that computer graphics have a long long way to go in games, but they are approaching a point where they are going to get exponentially better technically without being able to be visually identified by the majority. Of course you and I can tell the difference, but just look at Crysis and Witcher 2. When those two games have vastly different graphical styles - which one looks better? Both of them look amazing.

Also, Personally I feel like really good real time graphics ALWAYS looks (or is it feels?) better than CGI no matter how you render it because it's real time, I don't know how to define that sentence properly. It's like CGI is too perfect, everything blends together and the objects are all as one like film... but real life isn't like that, objects stand out that are closer better... I dunno, real time is better I suppose because you're in control of things.

Echoplx

graywolf323 said:

You can predownload the game now. You'll get almost the entire game and, on May 16 at 10:00 PM GMT, you will only need to download a tiny chunk of the installer and you're good to go. You can't possibly get your hands on The Witcher 2 faster anywhere else on the Internet. Of course you'll be able to redownload the game as many times as you like, should the need arise.

Didn't they say that was a mistake?

graywolf323 said:

What time is that in Australia? I'm terrible with time conversions so I'm going to have trouble working this one out...?

Van Buren

Hawk269 said:

It seems that the "Ubersampling" mode in Witcher 2 is designed to be a stress-test in the way Crysis was at release. This Neoseeker article reveals that it is a mode recommended for only the x4 980/i7 980x and 6990/590 cards.

CDPR said:
"The whole scene is rendered multiple times to give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing (better than antialias and anisotropy even on highest settings)."

Awesome - it sounds like a bullshot in motion mode. My 580s in SLI are ready.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Van Buren said:
It seems that the "Ubersampling" mode in Witcher 2 is designed to be a stress-test in the way Crysis was at release. This Neoseeker article reveals that it is a mode recommended for only the x4 980/i7 980x and 6990/590 cards.

Awesome - it sounds like a bullshot in motion mode. My 580s in SLI are ready.
Freakin awesome, means this game will definitely have tech legs for years to come!

graywolf323

ColonialRaptor said:
What time is that in Australia? I'm terrible with time conversions so I'm going to have trouble working this one out...?

if I'm interpreting this right it would be 8am Tuesday in Melbourne

edit: you are 10 hours ahead of GMT just so you know

graywolf323 said:

Zefah said:

I wish....I emailed them 2 days ago and and unfortunately this was their response..

Hello,

All digital editions of the witcher 2 will be officially released at May
the 17th, 3 AM US West Coast
. Downloader should automaticly detect new
files and download them when they are available, but in some cases a
restart of downloader may be needed.

--
Regards

Ethaar
GOG.com Support

ColonialRaptor said:
So tangled is the pinnacle of animated movies now? I haven't seen it and have never really been that interested in it (I tend not to like the latest Disney 3D movies... recommend it? I'll try catch it if it's worthwhile to see...
There was a thread about the movie on gaf a while ago.
It's pixar quality cgi combined with disney style animation and charm.

I'd put tangled right up there with the lion king and alladin in quality.

And yes, the animation (not cgi) really stand out in this movie.
Disney haven't lost their mojo.

It also has the oldschool disney quality voice acting, really good stuff.

I basically had a wide smile throughout the 2 hours this movie lasted, and cmon they picked rapunzel as story, that's the last disney story I'd ever want to see a reboot of normally.

Apparently this is who voices rapunzel (Mandy Moore) : http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/26907909/Mandy+Moore+++Marie+Claire.png

Evolution at it's best.

Echoplx

Does anyone else find it kind of funny that no-one cares about the exclusive GoG preload/items etc? I can only imagine if this was EA/Ubi offering this from their own stores the entirety of GAF would be outraged.

I love what CDPR have done with this game, and for the industry as a whole, but there are some serious double standards going on here.

Zinga

Banned
Who care about Steam preload, buy this game from GoG.com people, that way the devs get 100% from you rather than 70%!

Volcynika

Zinga said:
Who care about Steam preload, buy this game from GoG.com people, that way the devs get 100% from you rather than 70%!

Or people buy it where they want to. I would prefer a Steam preload since I bought it from Steam.

3chopl0x said:
Does anyone else find it kind of funny that no-one cares about the exclusive GoG preload/items etc?
They have to dress it up somehow. The basic digital package is above and beyond what most publishers put together. Complaining after getting a free OST and guide seems rather petty.

The exclusive preload kind of stinks, I agree.

Zinga said:

I'm on your side man. I usually pick up games nowadays from steam, but for a fledgling developer with one other title out there, and what has amounted to a clear dedication of their whole staff... I've opted to go the GoG route and reward their solid effort!

epmode

3chopl0x said:
Does anyone else find it kind of funny that no-one cares about the exclusive GoG preload/items etc? I can only imagine if this was EA/Ubi offering this from their own stores the entirety of GAF would be outraged.
I was under the impression that the extra items were still found in regular copies of the game, only that they had to be earned. This is true for at least one of the items, anyway.

If there really are retailer-specific items, at least we can be sure that the publisher is entirely to blame. You know, considering how nearly everything else CD Projekt has done is so refreshingly consumer-friendly.

Van Buren

3chopl0x said:

I love what CDPR have done with this game, and for the industry as a whole, but there are some serious double standards going on here.

Well, GOG and Steam are competing DD services, and the Witcher 2 does not require the install of draconian services for playing the game, like Valve releases do. Certain people on GAF and elsewhere do not like using Steam for various reasons, so I'm glad that GOG did not follow suit and mandate the download of their installer to get the game.

At the moment, GOG does not offer the services Steam does to entice customers, so I guess the preload was the only avenue open to them. At least they ensured that the Steam customers get benefits like cloud saves as well - it could have been a lot worse, like EA denying the collector's edition of DA2(I think) from showing up on Steam for a while, so as to promote their own DD service.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Frankly, I don't care about the preload situation since I'm going with GOG and they could have just not offered it with any service. It's a matter of waiting a few hours, depending on your connection, and it's not like it costs more to purchase the version that offers it. It's all on you.

About the content though, as far as I know they aren't offering any 'exclusive' in-game items with the GOG version. It's just the free game and some stuff like bonus OST tracks and wallpapers. Basically, it's content that no one is gonna lose sleep over missing out on but it's still a decent little bonus for the fans. If they were removing an entire mission or useful items, then I might start to feel a bit concerned.

I see what he's saying about the double standard but I guess that I'm willing to let it slide since the positive greatly outweighs the negative.

graywolf323 said:
if I'm interpreting this right it would be 8am Tuesday in Melbourne

edit: you are 10 hours ahead of GMT just so you know

Damn... if that's right then that's one hour before work on Tuesday morning, which means I might be able to open the game and then have to walk out the door and head to work.

Oh my god... that day at work is going to be PAIN!!! (Unless I call in sick haha... so can't do that).

Wonder if I should take the day off as Annual Leave heh.

SneakyStephan said:
There was a thread about the movie on gaf a while ago.
It's pixar quality cgi combined with disney style animation and charm.

I'd put tangled right up there with the lion king and alladin in quality.

And yes, the animation (not cgi) really stand out in this movie.
Disney haven't lost their mojo.

It also has the oldschool disney quality voice acting, really good stuff.

I basically had a wide smile throughout the 2 hours this movie lasted, and cmon they picked rapunzel as story, that's the last disney story I'd ever want to see a reboot of normally.

Apparently this is who voices rapunzel (Mandy Moore) : http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/26907909/Mandy+Moore+++Marie+Claire.png

Evolution at it's best.

Interesting... I'll definitely check it out. It's the Rapunzel thing that turns me off, I really don't know if I'd like that story, but I'll try it out.

Forkball

Riposte said:
So is Shani not in this game at all?
This is pure speculation, but I don't think CDProjekt is trying to connect The Witcher 2 to the first game as much as possible. True, you can transfer your save, but I think this will only apply to stuff like items and minor dialogue choices. I don't see returning characters referencing the first game too often. This is just speculation, but I think CDProjekt really wants the game to be self-contained and don't want to alienate or confuse people who didn't play the first title.

Echoplx

Snuggler said:
It's a matter of waiting a few hours, depending on your connection

16GB download here in Australia isn't just going to be a few hours...

But yes, I am also more willing to let it slide, even though I am kinda angry about the pre-load situation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
3chopl0x said:

Damn, sorry to hear that. I guess I take my connection for granted, the preload finished in about an hour for me. The download speed was much faster than what I get with Steam, though.

NBtoaster

3chopl0x said:

But yes, I am also more willing to let it slide, even though I am kinda angry about the pre-load situation.

16GB? GOG says it's 9.6

Echoplx

NBtoaster said:
16GB? GOG says it's 9.6

As already mentioned, the Steam version doesn't allow you to download bonus stuff separately from the game itself, so It's all lumped into one big 16GB download :(

3chopl0x said:

I downloaded the game from GOG in Australia for the pre-load in under 3 hours...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom