• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Minsc said:
If you have a 1GB 4890 (and a 3+ core CPU), you should have no problems with high settings, might even be able to tweak a few higher than high options if you only need 30fps.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. 4870x2 though one of them is kinda on it's way out (I'm pretty sure). I'll even drop the resolution. I don't HAVE to play at 1920x1080.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
This is what I'm hoping for as well. 4870x2 though one of them is kinda on it's way out (I'm pretty sure). I'll even drop the resolution. I don't HAVE to play at 1920x1080.
You'll easily be able to hit minimum 30FPS on high with that setup, you won't need to drop the resolution(that is assuming that the RPS guy who got 20-30FPS on high with a GTX 260 is right).

Enduin said:
4890 dont fail me now, Ill be damn happy if I can get solid framerate at 1080 with high res textures and vsync, anything else I can get away with is just gravy to me.

I could max out part 1 with my 1GB 4890 for everything but the trade quarter. That killed my framerate and I had to lower some settings for those segments. I know 2 is more optimized, so I'm hopeful Minsc is right and I can play high on most settings. Quad Core as well. 4gb of RAM. Should I upgrade to 6?
Of course, my card also blew up while I was playing the Witcher a while ago. I think that was coincidence though and a bad card, as I've had the replacement for over a year with no issues.

Salaadin

Ill probably be happy with a solid 30 FPS on my rig too. I hope my 5850/i5 750 can handle Ultra with some settings turned down. I dont think Im going to touch Uber mode. Ill save that for when I upgrade, depending on what I choose to upgrade to.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
sam27368 said:
Summary with pros and cons please!

This guy posted only the review score.

I8LIG.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Minsc said:
Yup, expect the configuration tool to look something like that. Everything individually settable, with your low, medium, high, ultra presets as well.

For those wanting more than ultra, we've known for a little while there's some uber options.

Don't you just envy the people who can load up the game tomorrow, use whatever preset it picks, and play for hours? Instead of going over the same 5 minutes of gameplay under 100 different configurations?

yes. That config screen just gets my OCD tingling.

SneakyStephan said:
Well I'm going to repeat here what I've said a thousand times before, if you have a decent dual core on your desktop or better then you are only 100 - 220 dollars away from respectively a mid end or a high end pc.
Money that earns itself back in the price difference of multiplatform games within a year or two. (and exclusives too obviously)

20-40 dollar games vs 50-60 dollar games.

It has never been cheaper (or easier) to turn to pc gaming.
I've been preaching this for years now to many gamers. It's in everybody best interest to have a gaming PC to complement the gaming experience at this stage in time because its quiet accessible and cheap. The reality is the mayority of console only gamers just don't want to listen.

DaBuddaDa

Odd to be saying this, but seeing scores that aren't 10/10, high 90s from these European magazines is not a good sign for US review scores. I remember Two Worlds 2 getting 90s from dozens upon dozens of euromags, and then getting 6s from US sites.

Regardless, GOTY.

What would a quad core Q6600 , 4 gig RAM, and a 8800 GTX (not the GT) 768 ram would do ?

I played evey game so far max res max settings exept crysis that I needed to tweak.

Refreshment.01 said:
I've been preaching this for years now to many gamers. It's in everybody best interest to have a gaming PC to complement the gaming experience at this stage in time because its quiet accessible and cheap. The reality is the mayority of console only gamers just don't want to listen.

I think it just doesn't register for some reason.
I had friends telling me back in the psx and ps2 era that pc games were much cheaper.
I KNEW they were, I thought it was quite amazing, but I couldn't afford a gaming pc (they were expensive obviously back then) till 2001.
Even before that I probably spent more on games + console that I would have had on the hardware and pc games.
But it just didn't register for me till I actually got my pc and started spending money on the games.

I used to be semi obnoxious about stuff like resolution n AA too, I clearly saw the difference on pc but I prefered half life on my ps2 (with keyboard mouse though, I wasn't a total retard) because the models were more detailed ,even though the framerate sucked and the res sucked.
I also really didn't give a damn about jaggies back then.

It used to piss off my pc gamer friends to no end.

As soon as I had a PC that could run these games at a higher res than 640x480 my standards quickly adjusted way up.

It's like trying to tell a guy who'se never had anything but hot dogs and burgers in his life that there is far better meat out there.
They wouldn't give a damn because they don't know any better and enjoy their hot dog.

I'm like that cat that won't have his catfood anymore after getting salmon or fresh tuna a few nights in a row.
All haughty, all like what are you trying to feed me now human.

It was easier to like ps2 games though than the games on my 360 or ps3 : 60 fps pretty much standard in most games where framerates matter, no bugs, no patches no screentearing no DLC or other bullshit.
Splitscreen available in all games where a 2 player mode made sense, multi tap 4-8 player support.
Ah those were the days.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DaBuddaDa said:
Odd to be saying this, but seeing scores that aren't 10/10, high 90s from these European magazines is not a good sign for US review scores. I remember Two Worlds 2 getting 90s from dozens upon dozens of euromags, and then getting 6s from US sites.

Regardless, GOTY.

I'm expecting lots of 7s and 8s because the game is "too hard".

Minsc

Gold Member
~150,000 seconds left!

Time to be a little crazy, free Steam copy for whoever wants hidden in this post! :)

Hit the "Quote" link above my avatar to see the url hidden in EMAIL tags, if all works correctly. Out of courtesy, post to let others know you took the code.
verbage stolen shamelessly from Draft

raphier

Banned
Minsc said:
~150,000 seconds left!

Time to be a little crazy, free Steam copy for whoever wants hidden in this post! :)

Hit the "Quote" link above my avatar to see the url hidden in EMAIL tags, if all works correctly. Out of courtesy, post to let others know you took the code.
it's gone I guess...Who got it, you must represent here.

Sethos

Banned
Minsc said:
~150,000 seconds left!

I took the code - Thank you so much.

Means I can pass on the game I wanted to buy to my friend who's struggling a bit
with the financials, guess that'll be my birthday present for him.

Minsc said:
~150,000 seconds left!

Wow... I was too slow thinking it was bad of me if I was to take it... didn't know what would happen if I went to that link.

I've already purchased my copy, but would have loved a Steam version lol.

Awesome stuff dude! That's crazy!

Zinga

Banned
Minsc said:
~150,000 seconds left!

That's crazy generous, hopefully the person who wins will return the favour to you in the future!

Sn4ke_911

derFeef said:
thats messed up. digital premium preorder I guess?

Nope. It's the physical premium edition from the Gamestar unboxing video.

Sethos

Banned
Archie said:
That was pretty awesome of you.

Indeed it was, that was very awesome of you - Can't thank you enough man.

I owe you my life, a home made cake and perhaps a bit of spooning, you just let me know sir.

Coldsnap

Ah, that's crazy. Tried to get the code but couldn't find where to put it into steam... LOL, back to waiting on this game going on sale.

Not long now guys.

If it's really 150,000 seconds to go, then that's just under 42 hours.

That means, it will unlock just as I'm finishing work on Tuesday afternoon (or there abouts) I think.

That is almost perfect timing, then get home, finish the install, play with settings for towards an hour or so and then marathon the shit out of the game until midnight :D

It's bed time for me now. Ciao Ciao!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Aw come on....I could've used a free copy. Freaking MBA college fees are killing me. Damn!

And freaking Atari not releasing hard copy here in India. Usually games cost some 999Rs here, which is rough equivalent of $60 for us in real life terms (PPP you might say). Buying from steam costs some 2100Rs, so imagine buying a game for $130

Sn4ke_911

I just bought the game via steam and can't pre-load it anyone know why?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sn4ke_911 said:
I just bought the game via steam and can't pre-load it anyone know why?
They are using pre-load as an incentive to buy it directly from them via GoG.

Tokubetsu

kittoo said:
Aw come on....I could've used a free copy. Freaking MBA college fees are killing me. Damn!

And freaking Atari not releasing hard copy here in India. Usually games cost some 999Rs here, which is rough equivalent of $60 for us in real life terms (PPP you might say). Buying from steam costs some 2100Rs, so imagine buying a game for $130

GoG is here for you bro.

DaBuddaDa said:

Regardless, GOTY.
Except the first Witcher game fucking rocked and didn't suck. TW2 was decent but Witcher 2 is above and beyond just from past experiences with the first game. I'd hardly say this situation is comparable. But that is just my opinion.

Sn4ke_911

Dice said:
You would do it for 30% more money, too.

Hm.. i paid 44,99€ for the game. I think it's the same price GoG and Steam. But no pre-load on steam really sucks.

Detox

Sn4ke_911 said:
Hm.. i paid 44,99€ for the game. I think it's the same price GoG and Steam. But no pre-load on steam really sucks.
The point was not 30% more for you, 30% more money for the devs.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Detox said:
The point was not 30% more for you, 30% more money for the devs.

Yeah buying off Steam or from some other retailer CD Projekt is only getting 31.50 from you with then Valve or whoever else gets the remaining 13.50, but with GoG CD Projekt gets the full 44.99 from you.

kittoo said:
Its 45 on GoG too. Does GoG has different pricing for different countries? (I didnt make an account so only saw $45)
Yes, they do, but I believe they compensate their users that pay more in other countries with credits on their site. You can use them to purchase additional games, so you're not really losing money.

However, they just opened up their site to where you can choose your region of purchase. You know, in case someone from another country was elsewhere at the time they wished to purchase something, but they didn't want to pay the amount based on their IP location. It's a trust system.

Tokubetsu

kittoo said:
Its 45 on GoG too. Does GoG has different pricing for different countries? (I didnt make an account so only saw $45)

I belive it is but you can set your account to US and pay the dollar price (a back door the created mainly to please Australian customers).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom