• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm all giddy, it's been a while since I played a game that somehow marked a generational transition in visuals, even though that's highly fleeting on the pc.

Nonetheless, I'm praying to the optimizationgods right now and hoping we get a game that utilizes the hardware to their fullest extent.

syoaran

Minsc said:
If you just read the six or so short stories in "The Last Wish," takes about 6-10 hours, you'll be in really good shape, probably just as good as having played the first game. It's quicker and easier than the 50 hours of The Witcher 1, though you could just youtube your way through it in a few hours probably.

Having just completed my first clear of W1, I can definitely say that if you have ever played a bioware game or even WoW, your in good shape to play it within 25-30hrs. I think its worth playing the game over the book, because its done by the same people with the same level of continuity. It's like playing ME before ME2, you don't have too and you can probably youtube the best parts from ME1. But you miss out on shaping the world yourself, which shouldn't be encouraged.

Theres still time, go play.

Blizzard

Banned
Minsc said:
It was confirmed by a mod (developer) in their Q&A sessions, see here.

1) Yes
2) Helps prevent 0-day piracy and general piracy I guess, maybe not, but that's what they want
3) Unlimited, SecureROM's server should be just as reliable as Steam's I'd guess, maybe more so
4) It's unnoticeable
5) Yes
Your first link doesn't work for me, and the second link links a website that seems to be down, but thanks for the confirmation.

If done right, Steam prevents 0-day piracy for Steam games, even with preloads. That isn't a reason for them to use Securom there, I would say. So who knows.

Minsc said:
Far as I can tell, the game is at times a copy of the books, and some stories are taken directly from the books (like the intro with the striga), and other times they are used a bit more loosely. It's definitely inspired by the books, and stays true to what is in the books, so it wouldn't be wrong to say reading the books gives you insight to the characters in the game.

I think Adda is completely different from the books, like there is no way to actually reconcile it different. I think Triss is also supposed to have some scars that prevent her from dressing in too revealing a way that are obviously ignored. Other than that, they take place after the books are done, so any inconsistencies are explainable as things happened after. I think the characterizations of everyone else are pretty accurate. Of course, I haven't actually read many of the books since only two are in English. Maybe they'll get to work on translating if part II sells well.

syoaran said:
Having just completed my first clear of W1, I can definitely say that if you have ever played a bioware game or even WoW, your in good shape to play it within 25-30hrs. I think its worth playing the game over the book, because its done by the same people with the same level of continuity. It's like playing ME before ME2, you don't have too and you can probably youtube the best parts from ME1. But you miss out on shaping the world yourself, which shouldn't be encouraged.

Theres still time, go play.

The game doesn't track time does it? I just beat it for the first time in the last week, and would say it definitely took me less than 40 hours to do everything, and I didn't rush it. Beat every quest and such. I probably saved about an hour because for minor characters I would finish reading the subtitles and skip the end of their voiced dialog unless they were particularly interesting.

FuKuy

Oh Lord, I hope for STEAM preload available ASAP... PLEASEEEEeeee!!!

BTW, Those GIFs have been posted?

6733876_39a6d40b039c0f4b0d3420a2ab18d9df_large.jpg

6733881_c398b4576d8e9a793d0ba1e3f507ea9e_large.jpg

6733912_d569f6e8e6ab3313584384ae7a677f89_large.jpg

6733937_772ed84c8c4ce0967dc02de74dfc41cd_large.jpg

6733941_53a64212fe7824746b76b3fb9c404753_large.jpg

6733910_721d8f6a2f595f3aef1b4fd610f2a2c2_large.jpg

6733914_4c0e28adedac444cc266ee70c56f8183_large.jpg

It's stunning!

Minsc

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
Your first link doesn't work for me, and the second link links a website that seems to be down, but thanks for the confirmation.

If done right, Steam prevents 0-day piracy for Steam games, even with preloads. That isn't a reason for them to use Securom there, I would say. So who knows.

Sorry the Witcher's forums are down until Sunday night or something (how annoying), but it was a quote from the developer in the "Ask the Developers" thread. Things could have changed, but that is the most up to date info I've read on the matter, as you can see from my post, it's a very clear answer.

I figured Steam prevents 0-day piracy if done right, dunno why Steam by itself wouldn't be enough, but the DRM used in SecureROM isn't doing anything that Steam doesn't already do, so if you're ok using Steam, the only way you'd be not ok with the additional DRM is if you have double standards. I'd take 10 dozens of SecureROM before a single instance of Games for Windows Live.

SerArthurDayne said:
I think Adda is completely different from the books, like there is no way to actually reconcile it different. I think Triss is also supposed to have some scars that prevent her from dressing in too revealing a way that are obviously ignored. Other than that, they take place after the books are done, so any inconsistencies are explainable as things happened after. I think the characterizations of everyone else are pretty accurate. Of course, I haven't actually read many of the books since only two are in English. Maybe they'll get to work on translating if part II sells well.

I agree with that, that's probably a better synopsis of the two. The books are very interesting, much like parts of the game's story could be, but pack it in to a more condensed form, and give you more glances in to the subtleties of the characters.

syoaran said:
Having just completed my first clear of W1, I can definitely say that if you have ever played a bioware game or even WoW, your in good shape to play it within 25-30hrs.

I really don't buy this at all. It's a very lengthy game. At best it breaks down to like

Prologue = 5 hours
Chapter 1 = 10 hours
Chapter 2 = 10 hours
Chapter 3 = 5 hours
Chapter 4 = 10 hours
Chapter 5 = 5 hours
Epilogue = 1 hour
Total = 46 hours

And I think that's being generous. Trimming any of that off and you're skipping a substantial amount of side quests.

FuKuy said:
It's stunning!

Certainly is!

Just watched the trailers again. The movements of the characters looks like when they were mo-capped they were actually wearing the gear or armour they are supposed to be wearing. They look like they're restricted if they should be restricted or heavy when they should be heavy.

Look at the hugging animations for example. Simply incredible.

Just purchased on GOG. I sort of wanted the boxed edition for the maps, etc., but wanted CDP to have all my money more.

And goddamnit, people, use GOG. There are some amazing games there that are better than most of the garbage that comes out today.

Minsc said:
I really don't buy this at all. It's a very lengthy game. At best it breaks down to like

Prologue = 5 hours
Chapter 1 = 10 hours
Chapter 2 = 10 hours
Chapter 3 = 5 hours
Chapter 4 = 10 hours
Chapter 5 = 5 hours
Epilogue = 1 hour
Total = 46 hours

And I think that's being generous. Trimming any of that off and you're skipping a substantial amount of side quests.

I generally agree with this. I think you could probably beat it a little quicker, even with a complete run through. But not by much. And my 40 hours is just an estimate, to be sure. But this is probably just a bit longer than I took to do everything. Lvl 40, all quests, Raven's Armor. And I saved some time by running with my silver sword in fast style when possible, and as I said before, skipping the end of some conversations when I read the subtitles faster.
Some people are just faster though. For example, took me 30 hours to do a full run of Mass Effect 2, and some people said they were able to do the same in 5-10 hours less than me.
Ultimately, a very generous game length, especially for a 3D RPG.

Forkball

Minsc said:

Prologue = 5 hours
Chapter 1 = 10 hours
Chapter 2 = 10 hours
Chapter 3 = 5 hours
Chapter 4 = 10 hours
Chapter 5 = 5 hours
Epilogue = 1 hour
Total = 46 hours

Not sure about the prologue being that long and Chapter 3 being that short. Chapter 3 took a long time for me. I finished the game at around 35 hours, but I did skip some sidequests and kinda rushed at the end. I think a typical playthrough would take at least 40 hours. Although I'm going by my Steam time and we all know those hours are kinda borked, it may have taken me 50 hours for all I know.

Luthos

I don't know about chapter breakdown, but I clocked about 60 hours on Steam in the Witcher 1 on my first time, and I tried to do a bit of everything. But who knows if that's the right amount.

And I have a question. CDProjekt says they will make all DLC free, but what about pre-order stuff? Like, for instance, Amazon had an Ultimate Swordsman Suit for pre-ordering off their site. Will stuff like that become free to download a while after release?

Cheech

Annoying the Steam preload isn't up yet. Really would like to play this on Tuesday, but it's not going to happen unless it's up by the time I leave for work Tuesday AM.

Coldsnap

What is the control scheme on these games like? I'm wondering if the pc version is going to be too complicated to map to a xbox 360 controller.

Hixx

Coldsnap said:
What is the control scheme on these games like? I'm wondering if the pc version is going to be too complicated to map to a xbox 360 controller.

It will probably be mapped already as it has been demoed while using it.

Coldsnap said:

Designed to play with the 360 pad. I've never used it before. I assume it is plug and play, though? With the drivers installed, of course.

HooYaH

Coldsnap said:

Game is mapped to the 360 controller. It's stated in the manual.

Hixx

SerArthurDayne said:
Designed to play with the 360 pad. I've never used it before. I assume it is plug and play, though? With the drivers installed, of course.

If you're on Windows 7 I think the drivers are already there so yes, plug and play.

Minsc said:
CecilRousso just needs to back down, it's pretty obvious this implementation of DRM is even less intrusive than Steam itself, which he accepts out of desire/convenience, and then says it is irrelevant what Steam does that is even worse simply because he likes Steam. It's fine if he wants to veto the game for a silly reason like it has an additional DRM which has no real drawbacks compared to what you're accepting already by using Steam, but don't act like it's the mother of all evil or something, when there's been far, far worse out. They also said they'd very likely be patching it out in the future, so he can just wait a few months if GOG is not an option and he is that stubborn.

I don´t recall I ever said I would veto this game. I think that´s your assumption. I´m very glad that I at least have the choice of buying the game DRM free on GoG, but at the same time I am not afraid to voice my dissapointment at the ridiculous decision to include Securom in the Steam version.

1. It´s completely worthless as there will be a DRM free version available before the Steam release. Securom will thus only serve as a source of technical problems for the paying customer (look at IE9 beta conflicting with Securom for GTA: Liberty City Stories and the ongoing saga of Securom problems with Crysis on Steam).
2. It´s included in a game by the self proclaimed crusaders against DRM.
3. It´s not mentioned in the store page on Steam, so that you will actually have to turn to Steam support for a clear answer.

Such thing takes a bit out of the joy of the hype surrounding this game, and I really do think that it´s worth discussing around the game. As it looks now, I will buy the GoG version, but I will not pre-purchase it anymore, since I want a better clarification from them as to what they think that this will achieve, the exact nature of this version of Securom and a clear date of when it will be patched out.

There are plenty of differences between Steam and Securom but something for a more general discussion of DRM, and not something for this thread.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm interesting about the 360 pad support. I wonder which way will be most fun to play. Usually I only use the pad for racing and fightinggames, but personally I always become more immersed when using a pad. But maybe the fidelity of the gamemechanics becomes dulled during the process

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Minsc said:

Prologue = 5 hours
Chapter 1 = 10 hours
Chapter 2 = 10 hours
Chapter 3 = 5 hours
Chapter 4 = 10 hours
Chapter 5 = 5 hours
Epilogue = 1 hour
Total = 46 hours

I did play it back around when it came out, and pretty much forgot everything since then. But the chapter 1 only took me about 5 hours. And the prologue is no way in hell close to 5 hours. An hour, maybe two.

Exuro

RedSwirl said:
Is there a proper HD version up yet? GameSpot's trailer is just an SD version blown up.
Doesn't look like blown up SD to me(then again I don't have eagle eyes). Gamespot is the only one with the trailer though.

Minsc

Gold Member
CecilRousso said:
1. It´s completely worthless as there will be a DRM free version available before the Steam release. Securom will thus only serve as a source of technical problems for the paying customer.
3. It´s not mentioned in the store page on Steam, so that you will actually have to turn to Steam support for a clear answer.

1) There won't be, GOG's version will no longer be available on the 16th, it unlocks the same day as Steam, on the 17th.
2) The DRM used by TW2 is less invasive than Steam. The only legit way you could complain is if you were purchasing retail.
3) Steam is frequently wrong about the DRM or lack of DRM used, the information comes from a developer of TW2.

The DRM achieves that pirates (or anyone for that matter) do not play before it is released, so they lose less sales if any version were to be leaked, and it is requested by Atari I suppose.

You're basically the only one in this thread that is equating DRM which allows unlimited installs, on unlimited machines, and 5 instances simultaneously (which steam can't even do), and with an internet check only on installation as a "hype killing DRM."

shintoki said:
I did play it back around when it came out, and pretty much forgot everything since then. But the chapter 1 only took me about 5 hours. And the prologue is no way in hell close to 5 hours. An hour, maybe two.

The prologue has
the training section in the beginning which is like 30-45 minutes, followed by your entry in to the village. It literally takes 10 minutes to do a loop around that village, and you have to do maybe 5 or more, not including any time you spend learning the character level screens, talking to NPCs, questing, gambling, fighting, getting the day night timing right, lighting all the torches, gaining the trust, sleeping / helping with the women, and then there's the final trek through the dungeon and the battle at the end that is not a cake walk.
A first timer wouldn't be able to do all that in 2 hours, unless they skipped a lot of it. I don't even think I could revisit it and complete everything in 2 hours.

Either way, there's ample playtime estimates out there if you google, and I'd say easily 75%+ of them put it over 40 hours.

Desi

Well maybe I got glossed over in the trailer thread.

question for someone who read the polish novels or just remember things from Blood of Elves.

the white owl in several of the trailers
, is it Philippa? Can't remember if she turned into a white owl or some other color.

WEGGLES

Minsc said:

Prologue = 5 hours
Chapter 1 = 10 hours
Chapter 2 = 10 hours
Chapter 3 = 5 hours
Chapter 4 = 10 hours
Chapter 5 = 5 hours
Epilogue = 1 hour
Total = 46 hours

How did you spend 5 hours on the prologue? There's hardly anything to it.

Exuro

Minsc said:
The prologue has
the training section in the beginning which is like 30-45 minutes, followed by your entry in to the village. It literally takes 10 minutes to do a loop around that village, and you have to do maybe 5 or more, not including any time you spend learning the character level screens, talking to NPCs, questing, gambling, fighting, getting the day night timing right, lighting all the torches, gaining the trust, sleeping / helping with the women, and then there's the final trek through the dungeon and the battle at the end that is not a cake walk.
A first timer wouldn't be able to do all that in 2 hours, unless they skipped a lot of it. I don't even think I could revisit it and complete everything in 2 hours.
Are you sure you aren't combining the prologue with chapter one?

Minsc

Gold Member
Exuro said:
Are you sure you aren't combining the prologue with chapter one?

It seems I am! That makes more sense then, I remembered it incorrectly (thought it split after the outskirts). I still stand by a 40 hour playthrough as a starting point. Chapter 1 was really really long then, just take some of those prologue hours and spread them over chapter 1 and two.

Ok this is best graphics I've ever seen posted as a GIF here. Crysis 2, modded Crysis on a $3000 PC, Uncharted 2&3, God of War 3, Killzone 3, Metro 2033 etc. have been officially overtaken.

Why is this gif so great?

1) incredible detail on clothing
2) detail that is actually modelled in 3D
3) hand... oh my god the hand with rings, wrinkles and nails
4) spell's lighting effect affecting everything as a true light source
5) notice how it shows up and then slides on the flasks :O :O :O

I haven't seen better real-time graphics in my life. 3DMark what?

Minsc said:
1) There won't be, GOG's version will no longer be available on the 16th, it unlocks the same day as Steam, on the 17th.

Ok. Change then. There will be a DRM free version available at the same time, making Securom in the Steam version worthless as soon as it´s released.

Minsc said:
2) The DRM used by TW2 is less invasive than Steam. The only legit way you could complain is if you were purchasing retail.

Minsc said:
You're basically the only one in this thread that is equating DRM which allows unlimited installs, on unlimited machines, and 5 instances simultaneously (which steam can't even do), and with an internet check only on installation as a "hype killing DRM."

As I said, the whole discussion about Steam vs Securom is a more general discussion. Here it´s more about why Steam users should have to deal with both. I say no, they shouldn´t have to.

Minsc said:
3) Steam is frequently wrong about the DRM or lack of DRM used, the information comes from a developer of TW2.

The store page is the responsibility for the developer and publisher. The least CD Project can do here is shoulder that responsibility. It should not have to be a thing for the customer to have to research. The confirmation comes from the Steam support, and I see sources saying both that it comes with a five machine activation limit and without activation limits. CD Project of all developers should be better than this, and not leave it as a suprise for their customers. That´s the issue for me here.

Minsc said:
The DRM achieves that pirates (or anyone for that matter) do not play before it is released, so they lose less sales if any version were to be leaked, and it is requested by Atari I suppose.

Securom games are frequently cracked before release. And at the exact moment of the release (or before it if it´s cracked) it becomes worthless because of the GoG version.

CecilRousso said:
Ok. Change then. There will be a DRM free version available at the same time, making Securom in the Steam version worthless as soon as it´s released.

You really need to give it up and get out... All you're doing is is shitting on this game and you aren't contributing to the thread at all.

CecilRousso said:
I don´t recall I ever said I would veto this game. I think that´s your assumption. I´m very glad that I at least have the choice of buying the game DRM free on GoG, but at the same time I am not afraid to voice my dissapointment at the ridiculous decision to include Securom in the Steam version.

1. It´s completely worthless as there will be a DRM free version available before the Steam release. Securom will thus only serve as a source of technical problems for the paying customer (look at IE9 beta conflicting with Securom for GTA: Liberty City Stories and the ongoing saga of Securom problems with Crysis on Steam).

Such thing takes a bit out of the joy of the hype surrounding this game, and I really do think that it´s worth discussing around the game. As it looks now, I will buy the GoG version, but I will not pre-purchase it anymore, since I want a better clarification from them as to what they think that this will achieve, the exact nature of this version of Securom and a clear date of when it will be patched out.

There are plenty of differences between Steam and Securom but something for a more general discussion of DRM, and not something for this thread.

God, can you just start a new thread and whine there?

dollartaco said:
God, can you just start a new thread and whine there?

Well you know, it´s easier if you just do not reply to me. But the main thing that got me posting again is to point out that I will not boycott the game as some suggested. Of course I won´t, since there is a DRM free version available also. It´s just that the Steam situation a bit absurd considering just that particular version. I reacted against Minscs quite hostile response, but of course I can stop if you want me to.

Game on.

I have to agree with Cecil in that really there should be no point with Securom past day 1 if the purpose of it is to protect from day zero piracy. However, I suspect that Securom implimentation at least on the physical copies is a decision made by or to placate Namco-Bandai/ATARI and really out of CDPR's hands. I do remember hearing in one of the CDPR streaming conferences that Securom would be patched out down the line (or they're at least pushing that across) I can't explain the decision to keep it on Steam though.

CecilRousso said:
Well you know, it´s easier if you just do not reply to me. But the main thing that got me posting again is to point out that I will not boycott the game as some suggested. Of course I won´t, since there is a DRM free version available also. It´s just that the Steam situation a bit absurd considering just that particular version. I reacted against Minscs quite hostile response, but of course I can stop if you want me to.

Game on.

I was rude.

bengraven

Am I the only one who loved the outskirts? I got there on the demo and it was enough to make me want to buy the game.

I loved the outskirts and later on, another village area that won't be mentioned. Something about Geralt in the country, not the city, was nice and idyllic while having a dark angle...and I just loved that.

bengraven said:
Am I the only one who loved the outskirts? I got there on the demo and it was enough to make me want to buy the game.

I loved the outskirts and later on, another village area that won't be mentioned. Something about Geralt in the country, not the city, was nice and idyllic while having a dark angle...and I just loved that.

No, I quite liked the feeling of it to. It was perhaps a bit to much running around, but it gave quite a good feel of the game world. Then again, I was also one of those who never really had any problems with the swamp either (since I immediately figured out that I didn´t have to fight all the enemies).

dollartaco said:
I was rude.

Maybe a bit ;). But you were right that it became to much of that discussion. It´s hard to not reply sometimes though.

abunai

bengraven said:

I loved the outskirts and didn't understand complaints about it being boring at all. There was maybe, one quest that I would consider weak in the entire area (
Lighting the shrine things all over the freaking map, ugh
).

I definitely agree about the dark angle, the atmosphere was perfect and really set the tone of the current affairs in the world for the rest of the game.

I personally felt the Trade Quarter (Chapter 3?) was the weakest of the bunch. Didn't seem to add much. Very little story progression until the very end, and even that was pretty basic. Nowhere near as cool as the Chapter 2 stuff. The twist, if you could call it that was also pretty telegraphed. In the other chapters it felt like even the side quests were in some way tied to the story, but that wasn't really the case in this one. I liked both village areas better, with the exception of all the running around back and forth.

Also, the sheer number of people on screen raped my video card.

bengraven

CecilRousso said:
No, I quite liked the feeling of it to. It was perhaps a bit to much running around, but it gave quite a good feel of the game world. Then again, I was also one of those who never really had any problems with the swamp either (since I immediately figured out that I didn´t have to fight all the enemies).

It really set the stage for later levels that you were going to be running quite a bit. In fact, it's one of the two reasons I didn't like the swamps (other reason is the
creepy villagers that should have had more story elements...I wanted to see them again and not just the old woman moaning in a shelter at the end

abunai said:
I loved the outskirts and didn't understand complaints about it being boring at all. There was maybe, one quest that I would consider weak in the entire area (
Lighting the shrine things all over the freaking map, ugh
).

I definitely agree about the dark angle, the atmosphere was perfect and really set the tone of the current affairs in the world for the rest of the game.

I didn't mind that quest, it helped me realize I had a pretty fucking nice map/quest tracker. lol

And another thing about those two areas: the music! During the day and during the night, great music. The night music in this game is brilliant and atmospheric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tf0x0jazI

Minsc

Gold Member
CecilRousso said:

Game on.

Hopefully this is the end of it I agree, but every post you had in this thread had to do with the DRM. Sorry it turned out the way it did, but between "this is the worst news ever" regarding the DRM, and "oh CDProjekt :(" "I'm holding off my purchase until I know" before I even took notice of you, you didn't leave a good first impression with me.

Not to mention you seemed wildly incorrect about what the DRM implied about the game, making it in to a much bigger deal than necessary. Then you pretended that Steam is not a form of DRM, and I summed up what I believed to be your stance. I didn't say your were vetoing the game, I said "if you were vetoing it," being I don't really care what you decide to do.

I still really don't to be honest. I just don't want misinformation about the DRM being spread. And every single post you have in this thread was about DRM, so whatever, hopefully this mini-argument ends here, I don't want to drag it along any more.

Desi said:
question for someone who read the polish novels or just remember things from Blood of Elves.

the white owl in several of the trailers, is it Philippa? Can't remember if she turned into a white owl or some other color.
I don't feel like hunting it down in the book, however
the fact that they've mentioned that ability in recent character previews means it's a pretty good chance it was her.

dude

dude
I didn't play the first, I tend to be too jaded on RPGs to enjoy them these days. But yesterday I saw some shots from the game and I felt a tingle of excitement.

Pre-ordered today, please be good.

abunai

bengraven said:
I didn't mind that quest, it helped me realize I had a pretty fucking nice map/quest tracker. lol

And another thing about those two areas: the music! During the day and during the night, great music. The night music in this game is brilliant and atmospheric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tf0x0jazI

Yeah, that's true. I just have horrible memories of being chased by the dog things, whilst low on HP and then meeting more that spawned at every shrine. Drove me nuts haha.

I thoroughly enjoyed the chain which ended up in
the crypt underneath the city gates
, it felt like such an adventure and I had basically just started the game. I can't recall the last time I felt so overwhelmed by exploration in a long time. Good memories.

The soundtrack is brilliant, it's one of the only soundtracks I went out of my way to purchase via the enhanced edition. So far, it sounds like the sequel's will be even better which gives me such a big music boner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom