• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So, when will people actually be charged? :lol
I'm pretty sure it's giving you the choice of paying for it, you won't be charged unless you chose to buy it from the site yourself.

Nekrono

Jay Shadow said:
Unfortunately if Steam makes you download the bonus content at the same time, which they usually do, that means it's 16 gigs installed.
Seems like I'll be playing this on the 18th then :\ ... unless I make my gf download this for me in which case would mean a mere 4-5 hours wait time, which I'm ok with.

Vlodril said:
2n8nb.png

Thanks. Like mine only not crappy.

What did you have previously?

Luthos

When do they usually first start allowing people to download games on Steam?

Midnight of release day, or is hours into the day?

Nekrono

Luthos said:
When do they usually first start allowing people to download games on Steam?

Midnight of release day, or is hours into the day?
Won't be a preload on Steam for Witcher 2 (sad face), but to answer your question it's usually days before, sometimes weeks before.

Luthos

Nekrono said:
Won't be a preload on Steam for Witcher 2 (sad face), but to answer your question it's usually days before, sometimes weeks before.
Well yea, I guess I mean since there won't be a preload option for Steam for this game, do you know when we'd first be able to download it?

I agree on the pacing argument - the first game was extremely lengthy, but had huge pacing problems that made it a chore at different intervals. If we get a 30-35 hours experience that is consistent from start to end, I will take it over a 80 hours game with grinding and backtracking issues.

Nekrono

Luthos said:
Well yea, I guess I mean since there won't be a preload option for Steam for this game, do you know when we'd first be able to download it?
Oh I see what you mean, my bad, I think it's usually at 10am PDT.

Fredescu said:
Not sure how you'd do it, but could you have a shot at witcherising Mario Neil?
neilmario.png

Okay... so this isn't the best of my works, but at such a small scale and with such a small image to work with to begin with, it isn't easy to turn dark hair into lighter hair.

I hope you like it :)

fredescuj7qj.png

He's got Witcher Eyes, Silver Hair (sort of) and the Scar :)

Edit - Now that I've look at it zoomed out and properly it actually looks better than I thought heh, pretty good actually.

Van Buren

I thought I'd post a few very interesting details about the game that seemed new to me. Credit goes to the fantastically informative preview at Gamebanshee. Normally I'd be wary of glowing previews, but this one is not a typical PR piece, and Gamebanshee is one of the best sources for WRPG articles.

Regarding Game Length said:
having spent a good 15+ hours with the prologue and first act, I'm happy to report that CD Projekt RED has defied the odds and actually outdone themselves with this second installment.
Taking Shots at Dragon Age 2 said:
The game's residences and shops were clearly designed by hand, as most if not all of them possess different floor plans, a variety of different furniture, and decor that matches their functionality (I wouldn't normally mention all that but, hey, we're living in a post-Dragon Age II world)
Consolized UI? Think Again said:
the UI is much slicker (a categorized inventory, much-needed item comparison windows, and four groups of neatly organized skill trees) and the dialogue sessions don't possess any of the bizarre gestures and head-scratching translations that plagued early versions of the first game. And if CD Projekt RED intends to bring The Witcher 2 to consoles, you'd never know it from the UI, text arrangements, or keyboard/mouse control system - everything feels right at home on the PC.
Stats Galore said:
there are a few other lesser known progression options, including abilities (important skills like intimidation, persuasion, and haggling that are increased in level through use), knowledge (useful information gleaned from books, battles, and other means that grant combat bonuses and the like), and a slew of derived statistics (the in-game character sheet lists 37 different numeric scores) such as resistances and regeneration rates
Loot Whores Rejoice said:
For example, with each talent point that you allocate to "Invincible", you can attach a mutagen to the talent (up to a maximum of two, obviously) for an added effect or characteristic. Mutagens randomly drop from slain creatures and their potency varies across lesser, normal, and greater tiers.
Combat is Challenging said:
I could usually manage to deal with two opponents at once relatively well, but fighting three or more enemies in close range is practically suicide on normal difficulty. If you get surrounded or knocked down, the barrage of incoming attacks will likely be lethal.
Baiting Monsters?! said:
Should you be specifically on the lookout for the alchemical ingredients dropped by a specific monster, you'll want to place the appropriate lure into one of Geralt's "pocket" slots. For example, harpies are attracted to phosphorescent crystals and trolls will pick up the scent of rotten meat. I didn't get a chance to test them all out, but from what I could tell, your chance of running into a hungry beast is simply increased when its lure is equipped rather than just suddenly calling them forth from the surrounding areas as you stand and wait. However, if you're able to bring all of the lured creatures into one particular area, it's to your advantage to set up some traps in the area first to skew the inevitable battle in your favor.
Choices Added to Crafting Too said:
By the time I had reached the end of Act 1, I had picked up nearly eighty different formulae and diagrams...Some ingredients are very rare or even unique...This forces you to make tough choices, as some diagrams call for the same one-shot ingredient in your inventory
Should You Play Witcher 1? said:
Word is that Act 2 plays out in two completely different manners, depending on your prior decisions (including those you made in the original game, should you import your save game).
Final Words said:
There are so many refinements that CD Projekt RED has gracefully included in the sequel, and they've done so with a technical expertise that immediately catapults them to the top echelon of RPG developers...So did we make the right decision to label The Witcher 2 as our most anticipated RPG of 2011? Absolutely.

Get even more hyped, people.

I could usually manage to deal with two opponents at once relatively well, but fighting three or more enemies in close range is practically suicide on normal difficulty. If you get surrounded or knocked down, the barrage of incoming attacks will likely be lethal.
Shit, I'm still starting on hard, who's with me men.
1305021537-clip-3kb.jpg

abunai

Just woke up, amazing OP snuggler!

Just finished replaying the first in preparation for this, reading The Blood of Elves as well. So excited!

Donny Hayabusa said:
GREAT OT!

Maybe i've overseen it, but is there a demo coming? Can You Run It says Yes! but i really would like to see it for myself before shelving out the Euros.

Edit: Just found out that there may be a demo, but not before the game releases... :/

What are your specs?

GREAT OT!

Maybe i've overseen it, but is there a demo coming? Can You Run It says Yes! but i really would like to see it for myself before shelving out the Euros.

Edit: Just found out that there may be a demo, but not before the game releases... :/

What are your specs?

Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 4GB Ram, Radeon HD 3850, Win7 64bit

My gpu is not the best, but i really don't want (or have :p) to shell the money out for a better one.

Binabik15

I guess pc threads are not exploding before the release because there´s no fanboy urge to slander the game or defend it against either trolls or "misguided" reviewers. This game will get lots of GAF love, just look at other Witcher threads. Just not retarded system warz/list warz love.

Actual game talks happens in pc threads, it´s weird, right? A game release is needed before we can really talk about it, though.

PS: Kingslayer looks great, thank god I´m on a story blackout and don´t know who he is. The wrap-up cinematic in TW1 was sooogoof.gif

PPS: My troll might need a few swords, scars and maybe an English wig, pleeeease.

Lime

The hype levels are rising tremendously.

EDIT: Sorry if it has already been covered, but shouldn't the preload on GOG be available today? I don't see it anywhere on their site.

Lime said:
EDIT: Sorry if it has already been covered, but shouldn't the preload on GOG be available today? I don't see it anywhere on their site.

I think the preload uses the downloader app, in my case I'll confirm this later, if anyone has preloaded the game and can confirm this..

Minsc

Gold Member
So 24 hours for a slower playthrough... hmm. Bodes well for replaying, if you can cut it down to 12 hours for a quick playthrough. Not what I'm used to in RPGs, but we'll see.

Vasilisk said:
I think the preload uses the downloader app, in my case I'll confirm this later, if anyone has preloaded the game and can confirm this..

I'm pretty sure they'll make a front page post when it goes live, a few more hours to go til then:

GOG admin said:
We should have the pre-download offer up in an hour or two. We need to get the fix for the downloader deployed before we dump another huge game onto our CDN.

Kinan

Those who know Russian can preorder Digital Premium Edition directly from the Russian distributor "1C" (and some other russian online shops). It will then cost only 695 roubles - aprox. 25$/17€.

Have no idea if one can order it from abroad, but may be possible as well. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

RickA238

I fully expect this to be the game of the year, and possibly the RPG of the generation. TW1 was so amazing and this looks to improve on the first in every aspect. Geralt is so badass.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Any hints on what kind of pc is needed to run this at everything max? Can one really trust the recommended specs?

Minsc

Gold Member
Corky said:
Any hints on what kind of pc is needed to run this at everything max? Can one really trust the recommended specs?

I'm not sure anymore, given the ultra mode was apparently not working correctly in the builds that all the previews are from, and those preview builds were lacking the "uber" sampling options that will be in the release version. Going by those previews however, a ~3.5-4GHz, 4-core CPU and a GTX 570 level GPU is a safe bet.

Also, the recommended specs have nothing to do with maxing the game, of course. Just specs for getting an enjoyable experience I'd imagine (medium-ish or high).

We may end up having a separate thread for discussing tech specs / performance / graphic settings to avoid cluttering this with that (I think even PC gamers don't like their threads filled with that tech talk). Not too much we can say for sure til it's released of course, given the lack of any real benching.

dc89

My PC is ready I think. I'm not at home so I can't run the Can I Run It thing.

i5.
4GB Ram
HD 5750

PLEASE!

Kenka

GoncaloCCastro said:
Made a few avatars out of boredom.

34xmkw2.png

Goncalo, you're being nice. Thanks :)

dc89 said:
My PC is ready I think. I'm not at home so I can't run the Can I Run It thing.

i5.
4GB Ram
HD 5750

PLEASE!
Decent settings, you'll run it without problem. Ultra will be out of reach I guess though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Minsc said:
I'm not sure anymore, given the ultra mode was apparently not working correctly in the builds that all the previews are from, and those preview builds were lacking the "uber" sampling options that will be in the release version. Going by those previews however, a ~3.5-4GHz, 4-core CPU and a GTX 570 level GPU is a safe bet.

Also, the recommended specs have nothing to do with maxing the game, of course. Just specs for getting an enjoyable experience I'd imagine (medium-ish or high).

We may end up having a separate thread for discussing tech specs / performance / graphic settings to avoid cluttering this with that (I think even PC gamers don't like their threads filled with that tech talk). Not too much we can say for sure til it's released of course, given the lack of any real benching.

Ah I see, I hope I don't have to overclock my gpus to be able to have a stable framerate with all the goodies. Not much left now I guess so all we can do is wait :(

edit : also would someone kindly Geralt-ify my blanka avatar :3? Maybe a sweetass scar or something. Or some tits in his face.

For those who curious about game performance:
I've got GTX260, 4GB DDDR2, AMDx4 and preview-version runs with 25-30 FPS at High. Pretty much believe that release version gonna be even more optimized.

leng jai

Anyone getting the CE? Looks pretty poor for the price especially considering the normal edition comes with some nice stuff already. Really do want that artbook though.

Minsc

Gold Member
leng jai said:
Anyone getting the CE? Looks pretty poor for the price especially considering the normal edition comes with some nice stuff already. Really do want that artbook though.

Main reason I'm getting the GOG version, I actually prefer having the artbook in a digital form and don't think I'd be too successful in scanning the physical copy myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom