• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Complistic said:
If I remember correctly reading on their forums him living is just a glitch. He's suppose to die there.

Yeah, Im pretty sure the CDPR rep on TW2 forums said that a few months ago.

Shahadan

Loved the fisrt one but couldn't finish it. Load times killed my interest :(
Happily surprised regarding this issue in Witcher 2.

Need a discount though :p

delirium

Shahadan said:

Did you play it with the EE? It fixes the load times.

EDIT: D2D is selling the game for $38 if you use the code "sizzle"

Sober

Shahadan said:

If you are willing to double dip, GoG now has TW1 EE director's cut for 5$. I'm really tempted to bite on it because I have an original retail version and it sucks to update to EE to play. Plus I need a TW1 save.

Complistic

Sober said:
If you are willing to double dip, GoG now has TW1 EE director's cut for 5$. I'm really tempted to bite on it because I have an original retail version and it sucks to update to EE to play. Plus I need a TW1 save.

The enhanced edition is a free patch I thought you can just download on their site. It fixes the loading times among other things.

Exuro

Bah that ripten guy is being a dick(in a funny way). I just want to know more about the lures dammit.

This GameBanshee preview is impressive.

Sober

Complistic said:
The enhanced edition is a free patch I thought you can just download on their site. It fixes the loading times among other things.
Oh, it is, but it takes forever to patch to the EE. I usually have to leave my PC running and go do something else for an hour and a half before it finishes.

Minsc

Gold Member
Revolutionary said:
I searched all my hard drives for my Witcher saves to no avail. :( Guess I'm going with a vanilla Witcher 2 save... sigh.

It's pretty easy to find saves online though, they're already in the GOG forum (in a pack where you can pick from), and have been posted in this thread too.

Edit: Nevermind that about them being easy to find online, I must have dreamed that up :( Well, they will be easy enough in a week or two, so I wouldn't worry. You can see some links here at the end, but do check them carefully first if you use them.

SublimeO12

Neo Member
whats the deal with this game and loading? I thought I heard it was a different engine, is it going to stream the levels or are there going to be load times changing areas?

Salaadin

SublimeO12 said:
whats the deal with this game and loading? I thought I heard it was a different engine, is it going to stream the levels or are there going to be load times changing areas?

I think 4 load times total, probably 1 for each chapter or something. Everything else streams.

OK I bought the gog.com for $5 witcher, is there anything in particular about a save I should do for coolness sake?

Also I take it this should have all the patches etc already right?

Exuro

So a second reviewer on at the CDAction site is saying the unhurried gameplay in 24 hours is just for the main quest and that sidequests will extend the game quite a bit. Trying to find the quote. Google translate doesn't translate the comments.

Okay found it. Shoddy translating but it works

mystic8 - no, they promised a lot of hours playing. Nay, they said that the main thread will be shorter than in single, and there had about 30 hours. But the secondary missions you can boldly to multiply by 2

My translation. Promised full game to be a lot of hours, but the main quest to be shorter than the firsts which took 30 or so hours. Side quests can double game time.

On page 7 in the comments.

Hulud

Just beat The Witcher 1. Ended up going neutral without even thinking about it. This game really puts Bioware's recent stuff to shame. Can't wait to find out what happens to Geralt and friends next. Bring on Witcher 2!

Minsc

Gold Member
Lasthope106 said:
Pre-orders are up. Pre-load is GO GO GO GOOOOOO!

Additional content (including the collector's edition artbook) is not available for download until May 17th, boo. Even though it was listed under the download section - it's all just placeholders.

Hulud said:
Just beat The Witcher 1. Ended up going neutral without even thinking about it. This game really puts Bioware's recent stuff to shame. Can't wait to find out what happens to Geralt and friends next. Bring on Witcher 2!
I see The Witcher 1 as a 7/10 game that is much more unique and enjoyable to me than a 9/10 "homework done" bioware rpg.
Pre-orders are up. Pre-load is GO GO GO GOOOOOO!
Purchased and downloading.

Minsc said:
Additional content (including the collector's edition artbook) is not available for download until May 17th, boo. Even though it was listed under the download section - it's all just placeholders.
What about the free RPG?

Btw, Divini Divintiy was the good one? Sorry too much blows in the head lately.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
L0st Id3ntity said:
I see The Witcher 1 as a 7/10 game that is much more unique and enjoyable to me than a 9/10 "homework done" bioware rpg.

Purchased and downloading.
Why? If its more enjoyable, then what other metric are you rating on?

raphier

Banned
What the eff...It shows me that pre-ordering costs 44€ and then when I press to install it, it tells me that I have to pay $60.97?

PS. Why does it throw me on US biling website?!! I live in europe!

Ferrio

Banned
So any confirmation that shani is/isn't in the game? Just from looking I'm guessing not, and if she is it'll be minor.

abunai

Karram said:
So do I have to play the first one before playing the game ?

You don't have to. The second game will spare no time introducing characters or explaining any previous occurrences; it assumes you've already played it and are familiar with what's going on in the world. Choices/items imported from TW1 will have very minimal impact in terms of story direction but there will be some differences in how people react to you because of what happened in the first game.

You could just use a save game from a few posts above and read up on the story if you can't be bothered playing the first but you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

Minsc

Gold Member
Karram said:
So do I have to play the first one before playing the game ?

It's not obligatory, no.

Refreshment.01 said:
What about the free RPG?

Btw, Divini Divintiy was the good one? Sorry too much blows in the head lately.

Yup, Divine > Beyond. Dunno about the free RPG, that's a Euro thing for getting screwed out of pricing, but now you can just set your region to US and pay $45 I think.

Castor Krieg said:
Damn, changing to US and 45USD instead of 45EUR actually sounds tempting. Will the GOG version be one, huge 8GB installer?

Yes, it's actually ~9.6GB (compressed), and will be an installer that you can save/delete afterwards. You're completely net-free after downloading it, until you want to patch of course.

The_Technomancer said:
Why? If its more enjoyable, then what other metric are you rating on?
It has too many flaws to count. Pace,presentation and combat were deal breakers for many, and understandably so.

I meant if I was to critically score it, I wouldn't blindly justify my passion for the game, a 7 would be adequate imo.

matmanx1

No Shani makes sense actually sense she's such a minor character in the books. She's only a fling in The Blood of Elves although she may make an appearance in later books because of her association to Dandelion and the learning institution she belongs to.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Just a head's up for those that started pre-loading early and got the HTML version of the e-mail confirmation: It is missing your cd-key and link for your free game. All you have to do is look at the text version of it. More info here.

raphier

Banned
Nezabyte said:
Just a head's up for those that started pre-loading early and got the HTML version of the e-mail confirmation: It is missing your cd-key and link for your free game. All you have to do is look at the text version of it. More info here.
I got all, didn't realize I had to pay more (got two instore credit codes equal of 16$)

Kyaw

Yeah, i just saw that. Awesome stuff.
I picked Divine Divinity.

Probably not gonna play anything until Witcher 2 since i got exams and gotta revise.

Minsc said:
Yup, Divine > Beyond. Dunno about the free RPG, that's a Euro thing for getting screwed out of pricing, but now you can just set your region to US and pay $45 I think.
I thought it was for people who preordered no matter from where. The important thing was the preorder.

Also will Divine Divinity run smoothly in my 2500k over clocked to 4.9 GHZ, 32GB of RAM, 6970 and 240GB SSD? I think i have a lil OC room still if its necesary.

Couldn't resist. All the populr kids are doing it
Kyaw said:
I think it will struggle on my AMD P2 X4 @ 3.6ghz with GTX480. :(
You can probably just run it smoothly.
Oh man you so f*cked! Divine will sturggle in that rig, i don't think there's enough juice in there to watch the menus. :(

Better stick playing solitary until the Wicher 2 lands.

Kyaw

Refreshment.01 said:
I thought it was for people who preordered no matter from where. The important thing was the preorder.

Also will Divine Divinity run smoothly in my 2500k over clocked to 4.9 GHZ, 32GB of RAM, 6970 and 240GB SSD? I think i have a lil OC room still if its necesary.

I think it will struggle on my AMD P2 X4 @ 3.6ghz with GTX480. :(
You can probably just run it smoothly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Refreshment.01 said:

I bet if you run it at a high enough resolution it will slowdown (1920x1200). I think I had slowdown on a 3.5Ghz CPU myself and went with 1280x720, which also helps with being able to see stuff.

That 240GB HDD does sound small next to the 3TB drives coming out now (even if it is a SSD), however you could probably run TW2 off a RAM drive with all that RAM, so that makes up for it.

Hmm, checked, you're correct. I do get a free game as well! Only I don't since I have them already, so I get the surprise gift after e-mailing them.

16irywh.png

Minsc

Gold Member
raphier said:
Hot damn! well too late for me. Pre-install complete @ 5mb/s speed.

At least you'll get to play with the early crowd though, GOG version pre-orders unlock a day early, on May 16th, at 5PM EST:

When can I download The Witcher 2?
You will be able to predownload the game on May 10, 2011. You'll get almost the entire game and, on May 16 at 10:00 PM GMT, you will only need to download a tiny chunk of the installer and you're good to go. You can't possibly get your hands on The Witcher 2 faster anywhere else on the Internet.

From the looks of it, we should have a decent number of people playing the game monday night, posting impressions and screens before the retail/steam release tuesday.

Kyaw said:
You mean Solitaire? :p
Also Windows 7's version is pretty damn nice looking tbh.
Solitarie, no man that's for underachievers or console only gamers. Solitary is the core heavy stuff, the worst you do in the game the more lonely you get, depression starts to kick in and you end up killing yourself... and then, its game over man.

Like the game, runs smooth as ice cubes on any machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom