• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

So I can get a semi-steady 30 FPS at 2560x1600 using max settings minus ubersampling, SSAO and antialiasing (it's not worth the FPS hit at that resolution). I'm using a GTX570 but the rest of my computer is about three years old. Very happy so far!

I think I might like this more with a controller. Haven't decided yet.

Zeliard

Most of the paths are locked so I can't get a proper look at them yet, but the talent trees seems quite extensive.

Also noticed there's a talent in the "Witcher Training" tree that allows the parry stance to block attacks from all sides, which suddenly makes blocking 20x more useful. Still probably not gonna waste a talent point on it, though. :p

Fredescu

Is there any fix for the GoG error "the setup files are corrupted" beyond downloading the whole thing again? I've deleting a few files randomly and redownloading but I think I"m going to have to bite the bullet.

Van Buren

Zeliard said:
Most of the paths are locked so I can't get a proper look at them yet, but the talent trees seems quite extensive.

Also noticed there's a talent in the "Witcher Training" tree that allows the parry stance to block attacks from all sides, which suddenly makes blocking 20x more useful. Still probably not gonna waste a talent point on it, though. :p

It still consumes Vigor on blocking, doesn't it ? I was constantly Vigor starved by blocking in the tutorial. Reverted to hit-and-run tactics along with liberal use of signs and the bombs.

Anyway, I've made at least a couple of choices when presented, and I'm waiting to see how they play out. That's the best part of playing the Witcher the first time - one never knows which choice might end up leading to an unexpected consequence. Oh, and the ability to persuade someone is a welcome addition. Helps that the writing and translation is pretty flawless thus far.

Sethos

Banned
Such an emotional roller-coaster

YAY :D

Witcher1.png

Aww :(

Witcher2.png

Rinse and repeat for about 3 hours.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I take it as a good sign that this thread has long passed the number of posts in the OT of the original. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
longdi said:
gog is fucking slow to download the remaining 100mb. remind me never to go digital on smaller services. i should have bought the hardcopy which i should be playing now.

Downloaded GOG's last 100MB in under 1 minute and download from Steam now at 2MB/sec! :D

GOG installer is moving so slow, probably won't get to check it out until tonight.

NIN90

Performance is kind of disapointing for me. Using the auto-performance setting without AA.
Framerate is pretty often in the low teens especially during combat.

Is there a particular setting that drastically reduces the framerate? Ubersampling is one.
This is my rig btw

Phenom II X4 940
GTX 460 1GB
4 GB ram (win32 tho)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
NIN90 said:
Performance is kind of disapointing for me. Using the auto-performance setting without AA.
Framerate is pretty often in the low teens especially during combat.

This is my rig btw

Phenom X2 940
GTX 460 1GB
4 GB ram (win32 tho)

I'm thinkin that maybe that dualcore is holding you back, maybe.

K.Jack said:
How overclocked is your CPU?

When framerate doesn't change, it's CPU limited.

It's overclocked by 300 mhz. I tried changing Core affinity from 8 cores to 4 to 2... 2 is slower than 4, even though 2 runs at a higher frequency.

Also, I know FRAPS is lying because I can go into Triss' tent and stare at the wall and the game is ridiculously smooth, yet FRAPS says 28 FPS. Go outside, and it says 24 FPS. Something is weird with the way it's giving FPS count...

Sethos said:
Such an emotional roller-coaster

YAY :D

Aww :(

Rinse and repeat for about 3 hours.

You can change the location of the download server you'd prefer in steam settings.
Change it to a different country if the download is slow or won't start.

Zeliard

Van Buren said:
It still consumes Vigor on blocking, doesn't it ? I was consistently Vigor starved by blocking in the tutorial. Reverted to hit-and-run tactics along with liberal use of signs and the bombs.

It simply says "Unlocks the ability to parry blows from all directions," so probably not. However there are two levels to it (and there seem to be at least two levels to each of the single talent tree nodes) and I don't know what effects the second level has.

The vigor mechanic will probably always be a part of blocking though because there's a nice give and take there. That's also another reason I don't parry, because it doesn't allow you to unleash as many Signs due to the vigor it sucks up. And I'm a Geralt who likes his Signs. And his potions (there's an entirely separate "Alchemy" tree that's huge).

The influence of Demon's Souls on this game is glaringly obvious when it comes to the way combat is handled, it must be said. Obviously a great thing.

wilflare

anyone has any idea what's the countdown timer at the top centre of the screen?
i can't seem to find out what effects does each of it have

Sethos

Banned
Ikuu said:
You can only download from certain servers at the moment, I think, UK was working so I tried US -Seattle and it worked fine.

Tried a bunch of them, US Seattle worked - Thanks.

Only 500kb/s :|

Van Buren

Zeliard said:
The influence of Demon's Souls on this game is glaringly obvious when it comes to the way combat is handled, it must be said. Obviously a great thing.

That's the thing that immediately came to my mind. Demon's Souls didn't allow for infinite blocking unlike say, Assassin's Creed, and there is a marked emphasis on positioning as a result.

Regarding your tactics, what are you experimenting with ? Igni spam, or a liberal use of Igni, Yrden, Axii, and so on ? I'm still undecided on which path I want to take, and I'm open to trying out different tactics.

Minsc

Gold Member
Clearly preview build was missing options perfermance is significantly worst than reported.

Ultra = 15fps
High = 40-40 fps

i7 @ 3.4Ghz + 5870. In the same area in the beginning.

Game detected me to low though, lol. High is looking to be just fine.

Amir0x said:
Welp this too busy to handle my request shit marks the last time i pre-order on Steam -_-

I switched to Phoenix and got through... try different servers.

NIN90

wilflare said:
anyone has any idea what's the countdown timer at the top centre of the screen?
i can't seem to find out what effects does each of it have

Those are your buffs and debuffs.

JohngPR

So is SSAO worth it in this game if I have to take a 5 FPS hit to use it?

I want a good framerate, but if SSAO makes a significant difference in how the game looks, I'd rather leave it turned on and take the framerate hit.

Wallach

JohngPR said:
So is SSAO worth it in this game if I have to take a 5 FPS hit to use it?

I want a good framerate, but if SSAO makes a significant difference in how the game looks, I'd rather leave it turned on and take the framerate hit.

I generally find SSAO to be a very subtle effect in motion. Usually the first thing I will turn off if I am not satisfied with performance.

Echoplx

Minsc said:
Clearly preview build was missing options perfermance is significantly worst than reported.

Ultra = 15fps
High = 40-40 fps

i7 @ 3.4Ghz + 5870. In the same area in the beginning.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Nvidia involvement in this game makes performance slower for AMD users.

Sorry Shani, I didn't mean to dump you so quickly and go back to Triss, honest :lol

I love the atmosphere when you walk out of the tent. The chat between the soldiers is hilarious!

nemesun

Zeliard said:
Fuuuuu, why o' why do I have to be stuck at work right now! Stop tormenting me.

3chopl0x said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the Nvidia involvement in this game makes performance slower for AMD users.
Huh? I thought AMD was more involved in it, supporting Eyefinity and all the fancy features that less than 1% of the gaming market uses. Or am I thinking of a different game?

Zeliard

Van Buren said:
That's the thing that immediately came to my mind. Demon's Souls didn't allow for infinite blocking unlike say, Assassin's Creed, and there is a marked emphasis on positioning as a result.

Regarding your tactics, what are you experimenting with ? Igni spam, or a liberal use of Igni, Yrden, Axii, and so on ? I'm still undecided on which path I want to take, and I'm open to trying out different tactics.

So far, at this early stage, my two dominant Signs are Yrden and Quen. Yrden effectively removes an enemy from the equation, since I typically try to just kill them as soon as I hit them with the trap, and Quen gives a pretty decent boost in defense (reducing the need for blocking). The Axii Sign I've only tried a few times but it didn't work for me. Every time I tried it nothing happened. Need to mess with it more.

In combat I do a lot of rolling and a lot of trying to position myself behind enemies (quite similarly to Demon's Souls I might add), though I also often do the patented Geralt "fly through the air and stab someone in the eyes" maneuver. Archers I take out first, then the trash mobs, then the higher-tier enemies like the guys with shields.

Truant

Game ran like crap at max settings. I started crying.

Then I turned Ubersampling off. Instant 60fps!

Anyway, how do I invert the camera when playing with a gamepad? I tried changing the config files unde the Witcher 2\bin\config folder, but to no avail.

HELP!

Going to hazard a guess here, but I (and anyone with the same problem) am really getting at least 2x the FPS compared to what FRAPS is reporting. So when it says 30 FPS, I'm getting 60 or more. Very odd.

Van Buren

Truant said:
Anyway, how do I invert the camera when playing with a gamepad? I tried changing the config files unde the Witcher 2\bin\config folder, but to no avail.

HELP!

Some users were making use of the motioninjoy tool to invert controls on their dualshock controllers. I think it supports the 360 controller as well, which I assume you're using.

_Xenon_

Banned
For some reason the game can't read my user.ini if I configured the graphics settings myself. It pops a dialog window saying it failed to read user.ini and reverts it back to default. Any solutions?

NIN90

Just for kicks I choose the "Low spec" setting and that fucking area after the battle in the monastery courtyard still runs in the single digits. WTF?

Zeliard

Truant said:
Game ran like crap at max settings. I started crying.

Then I turned Ubersampling off. Instant 60fps!

HELP!

Did you change the values in Input_QWERTY.ini? There are y-axis commands there for the pad. I think those are what you change (to negative values).

Tokubetsu said:
What's this dlc bit about english voice-overs? Isn't there already...english voice overs?

The characters are all speaking English in my game so far.

Edit: I'm going to have to change some of my keys. There's no way I'm ever going to get used to using the space bar for something that isn't jumping ...

Mohonky

Installed it and had a run.

Xbox360 pad works brilliantly, makes it easy to sit back and enjoy the game on the home theatre as I've not yet worked out a decent way to use a mouse and keyboard from home theatre, Xbox360 pad works great!

Running the game on Ultra minus the Ubersampling. Consistently got above 30fps up to about 45fps, but I have only tried it to the point of going down to get the Ballista.

System;
Core I7 920
6gb DDR3
1280mb GTX750

Nothing is OC'd. Need to learn how to OC but I have no idea, anyone able to advise me on OC or link me some where with full idiot proof guide to stable overclocking is welcome to throw it in my direction.

Tokubetsu

Barberetti said:
The characters are all speaking English in my game so far.

Edit: I'm going to have to change some of my keys. There's no way I'm ever going to get used to using the space bar for something that isn't jumping ...

Eh fuck it, I'm downloading them anyway. Will report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom