• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Anarkin

Does it really surprise you? If this game had Bioware in the cover it'd been a 9.5 for sure. They scored it the same as DA2 ffs and that was a piece of shit.

They gave the vanilla pc version a 9. I guess the additional content made the game worse.

patapuf

the guy compares the game to the pc version instead of other console games. Of course the game is gonna look better on pc. Oh well its not like its a horrible score.

i-Lo

I don't even like to harp on reviews, for the most part, but the raw difference in treatment between these two is pretty damn hilarious

TW2: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222949p1.html -- Low-key fare, don't agree with a way it was went about, but no real issue.

ME3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-review --Big ol splash page, AMAZING, 9.5 at the front, NO NEGATIVES, BUY NOW AT GAMESTOP. ffs.

Apparently the way Mass Effect 3's review was presented was supposed to be a template for future reviews. I am surprised they haven't been able to implement for other games as well.

Then again, economically it makes sense to have the best presentation for a game with as much hype as ME3 and thereby increasing the number of hits on the webpage.

iavi

the guy compares the game to the pc version instead of other console games. Of course the game is gonna look better on pc. Oh well its not like its a horrible score.

Yeah, that was my one gripe with it. Not really fair, but eh.

Then again, economically it makes sense to have the best presentation for a game with as much hype as ME3 and thereby increasing the number of hits on the webpage.

That's true, but there's upping presentation, and then there's playing sales-person by proxy.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Coulda swore this was coming out on the 14th. Boo =(

Oh well, I'll play this the day after my birthday. Woo :D

Is there a list anywhere of all the stuff that will seem new to someone who hasn't played since the original PC launch period? Not just what's new in this version, but what has been added since launch? I know about hairstyles, arena, new tutorial, and Dark Mode but what else will be new to me?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Is there a list anywhere of all the stuff that will seem new to someone who hasn't played since the original PC launch period? Not just what's new in this version, but what has been added since launch? I know about hairstyles, arena, new tutorial, and Dark Mode but what else will be new to me?

They completely revamped the lighting and graphics in most scenes throughout the game to appear more natural and sometimes more detailed. They added around 4 hours worth of gameplay toward the end of the game. They include all the dlc stuff into the main game. For consoles they improved gamepad support. And they made a bunch of bug fixes.

Im sure an explicit list can be found on their website.

Cels

Just got my review copy! It was sent via USPS First Class mail yesterday (4-13), from Warner Home Video (the publisher)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm

Hmmmm

Is there any point in me downloading my regular direct2drive TW2 version when I'll be able to download TW2EE via GoG in a couple of days?

"Any point" in sense of : Will I save potential time/downloading ?

Cels

You get mail on saturdays?

Yes, me and everyone else in the United States. The Postal Service is bleeding money though so I think they'll have to stop delivering on Saturdays.

BbDJv.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
Really hoping this becomes a hit on 360. So many other inferior games end up finding huge success on consoles so i hope cdp gets some love.

M.W.

My god this game is amazing!

Have you played it previously, or is this your initial reaction? I haven't played either Witcher, barely watched any vids (just a few brush ups on the first game), so I'm coming in a rookie nubstar. Can't friggin' wait.

Do you have a review website?

PS: Canada is expected to see the game on 17th.

No I do not, I was one of the lucky 1000 that were sent copies to review. I fully intend on reviewing it, I have posted some reviews on Giant Bomb (user reviews).

And yeah, if the copies are shipping from the US it could take a little while longer for it to get here. That's okay though.

Gowans

Have you played it previously, or is this your initial reaction? I haven't played either Witcher, barely watched any vids (just a few brush ups on the first game), so I'm coming in a rookie nubstar. Can't friggin' wait.
Nope all I've played is a couple of hours on this on my 360. I'm in love.

i-Lo

How would you know when our review copies are coming? Hrmm.

Well I am merely basing it on the assumption that the kind sir hasn't received his review copy yet and normal release date (which I saw on on Futureshop's webpage) is 17th of this month which is around 72 hours away.

Well I am merely basing it on the assumption that the kind sir hasn't received his review copy yet and normal release date (which I saw on on Futureshop's webpage) is 17th of this month which is around 72 hours away.

These have been somewhat informally sent out en masse, though if they're priority shipping, most of us canucks should get them Monday.

ironcreed

Banned

Even if some of us do get it on Tuesday or after, there is not any room to complain. As the game is free. It is coming from California via first class mail, so I'll definitely get mine by then.

May I ask on what grounds were these lucky individuals selected?

During their live stream a little while back, they announced that they would send a total of 1000 free copies to anybody who could convince them they deserved one on thewitcher.com/review. Those of us getting copies were simply very convincing, though I imagine we all have a relatively popular blog, youtube account or website.

ironcreed

Banned
May I ask on what grounds were these lucky individuals selected?

They selected 1,000 gamers to receive a free copy in order to review and share their views on the game with friends, on social media sites, forums, etc. You had to fill out an application explaining why you thought you should be selected and that was it.

i-Lo

During their live stream a little while back, they announced that they would send a total of 1000 free copies to anybody who could convince them they deserved one on thewitcher.com/review. Those of us getting copies were simply very convincing, though I imagine we all have a relatively popular blog, youtube account or website.

They selected 1,000 gamers to receive a free copy in order to review and share their views on the game with friends, on social media sites, forums, etc. You had to fill out an application explaining why you thought you should be selected and that was it.

Ah, I wasn't aware. Seems pretty generous and intelligent of them. It is a great way to spread the word and increase potential proliferation of the product. Good job to individuals who earned it.

abunai

Yes, me and everyone else in the United States. The Postal Service is bleeding money though so I think they'll have to stop delivering on Saturdays.

Slightly off-topic, but I ordered a package from the USA (I'm British) and it arrived in 4 days. I picked standard 30 day intl shipping. USPS must be bleeding money if they are better at getting post to me than my local service (or I'm lucky).

Slightly off-topic, but I ordered a package from the USA (I'm British) and it arrived in 4 days. I picked standard 30 day intl shipping. USPS must be bleeding money if they are better at getting post to me than my local service (or I'm lucky).

Similar story here, everything I order from Amazon.ca somehow makes it from a warehouse in texas to my door in 3 days, but Canada post can't get me a single parcel on priority shipping from BC in a week.

gillty

Banned
The reason why USPS is losing money:
Far from being a burden on the taxpayer, the USPS has, according to reports by the Inspector General and outside auditors, been overcharged by $50-75 billion for its employees pensions, thus subsidizing the Federal Treasury. In addition, in 2006, Congress and President Bush imposed an additional $5.5 billion annual tax on the USPS. The tax was supposedly to finance the health benefits of potential future postal retirees. In an amazing coincidence, the $5.5 billion was exactly the amount OPM had discovered it was overcharging the USPS each year.
http://www.postalnewsblog.com/2011/...xpayer-dollars-to-attack-postal-workers-usps/

I think the best part of the IGN review is that Keza MacDonald also reviewed Dark Souls and gave its graphics a 9 with "Occasional slow-down in busy areas is not enough to take the sheen off this world." Does that mean Witcher 2's graphical issues are harsher and more constant than Dark Souls chugging frame rate?

abunai

I think the best part of the IGN review is that Keza MacDonald also reviewed Dark Souls and gave its graphics a 9 with "Occasional slow-down in busy areas is not enough to take the sheen off this world." Does that mean Witcher 2's graphical issues are harsher and more constant than Dark Souls chugging frame rate?

Why are you even attempting to see reviewer consistency here. They're hacks.

Demon Ice

Banned
I don't even like to harp on reviews, for the most part, but the raw difference in treatment between these two is pretty damn hilarious

TW2: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222949p1.html -- Low-key fare, don't agree with a way it was went about, but no real issue.

ME3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-review --Big ol splash page, AMAZING, 9.5 at the front, NO NEGATIVES, BUY NOW AT GAMESTOP. ffs.

Lol. TW2 would have gotten a 10 if CDPR had given Chobot a character in the game. Even Vanilla TW2 shits all over ME3. IGN is such a joke.

Top Bottom