• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Does someone now some way to contact CD Project? People say they really care for the fans and appreciate emails, and I would like to ask them, in a good manner of course, as ive seen in the patch installation new dub languages, if there could be a good spanish one also in the future. If not that, at least ask the spanish book translator of the Witcher to do the game translation, because the subs from the game in spanish are pretty bad and generic, and dont capture the feeling of the era and the different characters, while the spanish books translation is the best I have seen ever.

bengraven

http://www.gog.com/en/page/witcherbackup

i think it only works form the 17th onwards tough.

kp6bg.gif

i-Lo

I have yet to play TW2 but I want to do so soon. That said, I get a feeling that the game is somewhere between a linear experience like say GeoW and completely open world one like Skyrim. Would I wrong in expect a game akin to ME or DE:HR in terms of focus, linearity and freedom of exploration with a tightly knit story?

patapuf

I have yet to play TW2 but I want to do so soon. That said, I get a feeling that the game is somewhere between a linear experience like say GeoW and completely open world one like Skyrim. Would I wrong in expect a game akin to ME or DE:HR in terms of focus, linearity and freedom of exploration with a tightly knit story?

no, that's pretty accurate. your choices do impact the narrative more than in the mentioned games tough.

gdt

It's pretty similar to Mass Effect, but you can't chose where to go. Each of the acts takes place in a different setting.

i-Lo

no, that's pretty accurate. your choices do impact the narrative more than in the mentioned games tough.

It's pretty similar to Mass Effect, but you can't chose where to go. Each of the acts takes place in a different setting.

Thanks. So it's more like DE:HR in terms of travelling flexibility.

I have been hearing quite a lot about how mature the story is. I love great stories that build up to an exiting and satisfying finale (unlike many other games out there). As such, how would one rate the story (only) in TW2?

Truant

The PC version had 360 pad support, but it was kinda janky at times. They fixed a lot of that stuff for the 360 version.

Where does it say that the EE for PC won't have the updated controls and menus? That doesn't make any sense.

Truant

I have been hearing quite a lot about how mature the story is. I love great stories that build up to an exiting and satisfying finale (unlike many other games out there). As such, how would one rate the story (only) in TW2?

The story is great. It's basically a "hunt down the criminal" story, but it's pretty deep. The villain isn't some evil mastermind, but rather a pretty interesting character.

looking forward to 17th,

I wonder if the savefile from non-ee can be continued in ee? I've been holding off playing the game since the ee announced.

Salaadin

The story is great but one of the biggest complaints about the it is the ending...not so much with what the ending is but how quickly it wraps itself up. I cant say more without spoiling it but youll see.

They did beef up the end for the EE, though, so maybe its not as big a problem.

epmode

Where does it say that the EE for PC won't have the updated controls and menus? That doesn't make any sense.
In the OP:

The re-design of controls I mentioned before was done for the benefit of Xbox players. These changes will not apply to the PC version. We are leaving the control system unchanged. As I mentioned, all the other in-game content will be available for free to PC users.

Exactly what will be missing from the PC version is unclear but it sure sounds disappointing at the moment, not to mention very unlike CD Projekt. I played through the original version on a 360 pad. It works but it's a little janky.

The story is great but one of the biggest complaints about the it is the ending...not so much with what the ending is but how quickly it wraps itself up. I cant say more without spoiling it but youll see.

I thought it barely wrapped the plot, since they wanted to left things pretty open for a sequel.
Kind of like LOTR: The two towers.

i-Lo

The story is great. It's basically a "hunt down the criminal" story, but it's pretty deep. The villain isn't some evil mastermind, but rather a pretty interesting character.

I see. Thank you the overview. I'll be picking this up in about six months time (got a huge backlog).

Just couple of last questions. Can all side quests be done in the first playthrough and for an avid side quester how much time can I be expected to sink in it?

Exuro

Just couple of last questions. Can all side quests be done in the first playthrough and for an avid side quester how much time can I be expected to sink in it?
It's impossible to do everything in one playthrough due to how the story progresses. Also, sidequests can be different depending one what you do in them so even if you do a good chunk of them you can do them differently on another playthrough.

Truant

In the OP:

Exactly what will be missing from the PC version is unclear but it sure sounds disappointing at the moment, not to mention very unlike CD Projekt. I played through the original version on a 360 pad. It works but it's a little janky.

Kinda confusing, to be honest. Could it be it means the regular M+KB controls won't be changed, but the 360 pad stuff will be updated?

Truant

I see. Thank you the overview. I'll be picking this up in about six months time (got a huge backlog).

Basically the second act (8 hours of gamelplay, if not more) is in completely different areas depending on your choices, different characters, different quests. It's super cool that they actually did that.

Heres the quote in question regarding the controls.

" Crucially, it also sees the original PC gamepad support revised into a much more natural, intuitive and easy-to-use interface."

Now that I think of it, this really just sounds like they're talking about the new inventory UI (which we're getting on pc) as well as the weird button remap the console version has on the face buttons.

You can't. The quicker you could beat every quest in the game is if you save about 1/3 into the game and replay the last 2/3s after you finish it. So it is about 30 hours for the first time + about 18 for the last 2/3s of the second.

Solo

You know, I'm kind of sad that they nerfed the difficulty. I was looking forward to many OMG I CAN'T FUCKING BEAT LETHO FROM MY BIG COMFY COUCH! tirades.

Truant

You know, I'm kind of sad that they nerfed the difficulty. I was looking forward to many OMG I CAN'T FUCKING BEAT LETHO FROM MY BIG COMFY COUCH! tirades.

That was me the first couple of days after the PC version hit steam back in the day.

Solo

It took me about 40 tries to beat him the first time. Its sad to think that people don't have to go through that trial by fire any more.

Truant

Hopefully I can pick this up day one. Does anyone know if installing the game makes a big change in load times/performance?

Developers said they really recommend installing the game, because it keeps the pop-in to a minimum since the whole world is streamed.

rozay

Banned
Is anyone getting the pre-order Geralt avatar for the 360 that doesn't want it? I'll have to scour eBay for it if not.

squidyj

I had such a hard time the very first time I faced him. After my third playthrough though I woop his candy ass straight away.

ironcreed

Banned
Not familiar with these guys, but they gave it a 10 and wrote a great review.

http://www.made2game.com/articles/R...2-Assassins-of-Kings-Enhanced-Edition-Review/

"There’s very little signposting or handholding, and while your objectives are always clear, the method of achieving them is not. Accepting contracts to rid an area of monsters to earn some extra coin will require you to either study literature on the fiends or face them to learn their weaknesses; tackling larger enemies may require the creation of a specific potion to negate the effects of its poison; uncovering information from a specific character might necessitate doing favours, greasing palms or employing a little magical manipulation. Again, many quests and objectives can be completed in various ways, but in choosing the obvious option you might not spot the subtly-indicated alternatives."

"Similarly, a Witcher can create bombs, traps and snares from scavenged ingredients, and a radial dial allows quick-switching between them during combat, but if you run out during a scrap you’ll have to wait until you’re safe and sound again before you can meditate and create more. To begin with, the uninitiated might wonder why they keep getting their arse handed to them by even the smaller enemies, until they realize that The Witcher 2 wants you to think about your next encounter and plan for it. It wants you to mix and drink the right potions before venturing into the wilderness; it wants you to make sure you’re fully armed and ready to tackle whatever the world throws at you because if you’re not, you’re going to die an awful lot."

Can't wait to play this.

Derrick01

Banned

Did they nerf it again in the EE? Or are you referring to the earlier nerf, the one that catered to the whiners about how hard the intro and chapter 1 was?

Man I hope they didn't nerf it again. The game was easy mode after the first one.

Solo

Did they nerf it again in the EE? Or are you referring to the earlier nerf, the one that catered to the whiners about how hard the intro and chapter 1 was?

Man I hope they didn't nerf it again. The game was easy mode after the first one.

The original nerf. But apparently there has been even further nerfing for consoles.

Launch era Letho fight was something else.

i-Lo

Basically the second act (8 hours of gamelplay, if not more) is in completely different areas depending on your choices, different characters, different quests. It's super cool that they actually did that.

It's impossible to do everything in one playthrough due to how the story progresses. Also, sidequests can be different depending one what you do in them so even if you do a good chunk of them you can do them differently on another playthrough.

You can't. The quicker you could beat every quest in the game is if you save about 1/3 into the game and replay the last 2/3s after you finish it. So it is about 30 hours for the first time + about 18 for the last 2/3s of the second.

I see. Looks like it's a meaty game then. Thank you for all your inputs.

Derrick01

Banned
The original nerf. But apparently there has been even further nerfing for consoles.

Launch era Letho fight was something else.

The
chapter 1 fight
was a pretty big pain in the ass at first. I still didn't have a full grasp of the combat system and it was a somewhat tight area and he made me pay. That was the only one that gave me a hard time.

Oh god, the Xbox IGN video review of The Witcher 2 is absolutely pathetic. In the first 30 seconds the reviewer refers to the game as the "Expanded" edition (Facepalms everywhere). My guess is that IGN wasn't moneyhatted by CD Projekt.

ironcreed

Banned
Oh god, the Xbox IGN video review of The Witcher 2 is absolutely pathetic. In the first 30 seconds the reviewer refers to the game as the "Expanded" edition (Facepalms everywhere). My guess is that IGN wasn't moneyhatted by CD Projekt.

Maybe they decided not to refer to it as 'The Enhanced Edition' due to the fact that Jessica Chobot was not added as a romanceable character.

inky

Does it really surprise you? If this game had Bioware in the cover it'd been a 9.5 for sure. They scored it the same as DA2 ffs and that was a piece of shit.

iavi

Does it really surprise you? If this game had Bioware in the cover it'd been a 9.5 for sure. They scored it the same as DA2 ffs and that was a piece of shit.

I don't even like to harp on reviews, for the most part, but the raw difference in treatment between these two is pretty damn hilarious

TW2: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222949p1.html -- Low-key fare, don't agree with a way it was went about, but no real issue.

ME3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-review --Big ol splash page, AMAZING, 9.5 at the front, NO NEGATIVES, BUY NOW AT GAMESTOP. ffs.

Top Bottom