• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Complistic

ME3 is better in that regard. Better at hiding its faults too. For example, a fight between two characters was lol worthy in a trailer, but they cut it to hide the faults better in the actual game.

Regardless, The Witcher 2 is much better in that regard.

shep2y2gp.gif

droppedhisguard9eqht.gif

I wish you had played the PC version so you could make a proper comparison. Though you reviewed on the xbox version on it's own merits. Good Review, Me personally i'd have given it a 9.8/10 but I am admittedly a fanboy of the series as a whole. Good Review. :p

pramath

Banned
I wish you had played the PC version so you could make a proper comparison. Though you reviewed on the xbox version on it's own merits. Good Review, Me personally i'd have given it a 9.8/10 but I am admittedly a fanboy of the series as a whole. Good Review. :p

I wish I'd played the PC version too, now, honestly. I feel like I missed out on a great series, and I'm glad that I ultimately managed to play the game.
As for the comparisons, I admit that my review won't be the best review if you really want to compare the game to the PC version- but there are many other reviews and technical comparisons out there that hopefully help you with that. This review, hopefully, is enough to cover the often overlooked aspect of 'reviewing a game for what it is, rather than what it isn't, and on it's own merits' :p
And thanks!

I am sorry. Pimps mess up too.

Yes, you should be sorry! Feel bad :mad:

Also says "for best experience install to the hard drive"

So i wonder if there will be a legit difference other than loading.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread - they seriously want you to install the game. I played through the tutorial area before installing the game and pretty much all textures had to pop in every time the camera or characters moved, and the framerate was all over the place. Installing the game makes everything run with nary a hitch.

I'm nearly done with my 360 playthrough, so I'll be reviewing it tomorrow or Monday probably. Really impressed overall, although I'm most excited to see the EE running on my PC.

Oh relax I'm just trollin. It's fine. The only thing I really have an issue with is the extreme length of some of these sentences and the fact that your attention grabber is so far reaching as to be useless. Best RPG ever on a console is kind of nuts as a first thing to read.

LEGGZZZZ

Just completed the game and posted my review for it.
Would you guys be interested in a link?

Hell Yes!

Man I know that we shouldn't turn this into a vs thread, but all this talk of W2 being superior to the ME series is getting me hyped, as I enjoyed the series greatly (minus the ending of ME3 of course), specifically the plots that focused around gray areas (the sub plot of Mordin and Tuchanka in ME2 & ME3 is one of the best stories in gaming imo) so hearing W2 is more so in that area of choices/story telling is great.

Also Pramath, Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning the damn orchestral score. The Withcer 2's music is some of the best I've heard in gaming history. It has great epic sweeping moments as well as gentle barely there backround flutes. The score did not get enough attention last year when all the reviews came out.

I giggled at the comparison, although at least that scene in ME3 doesn't have

wait till 'e drops 'is fookin' guard

pramath

Banned
I mentioned it earlier in the thread - they seriously want you to install the game. I played through the tutorial area before installing the game and pretty much all textures had to pop in every time the camera or characters moved, and the framerate was all over the place. Installing the game makes everything run with nary a hitch.

I'm nearly done with my 360 playthrough, so I'll be reviewing it tomorrow or Monday probably. Really impressed overall, although I'm most excited to see the EE running on my PC.

I'll vouch for this. If you don't install it, there will be pop ins and screen tearing at least (allegedly, there are also frame rate drops, but I never encountered any of those myself).

Installing the game takes care of most of these issues.
Oh relax I'm just trollin. It's fine. The only thing I really have an issue with is the extreme length of some of these sentences and the fact that your attention grabber is so far reaching as to be useless. Best RPG ever on a console is kind of nuts as a first thing to read.
I know, haha.

And I know it might come off as a bit hyperbolic, but honestly, I feel that way. I struggle to think of a console RPG that I have liked better than I did TW2.

pramath

Banned
Hell Yes!

Man I know that we shouldn't turn this into a vs thread, but all this talk of W2 being superior to the ME series is getting me hyped, as I enjoyed the series greatly (minus the ending of ME3 of course), specifically the plots that focused around gray areas (the sub plot of Mordin and Tuchanka in ME2 & ME3 is one of the best stories in gaming imo) so hearing W2 is more so in that area of choices/story telling is great.

It's posted above :)

Also Pramath, Thank you, thank you, thank you for mentioning the damn orchestral score. The Withcer 2's music is some of the best I've heard in gaming history. It has great epic sweeping moments as well as gentle barely there backround flutes. The score did not get enough attention last year when all the reviews came out.

Haha, I love the music! I got the OST disc with the game, and all those tunes are now in my iPod, on my most frequently played playlist.

EDIT: Damn, another double post. Sorry!

ironcreed

Banned
Hell Yes!

Yes, I am thinking that this is going to be quite a nice remedy after being taken to the top of a mountain with Mass Effect 3, only to be ultimately kicked in the balls and thrown over the edge at the conclusion. Definitely looking forward to seeing if the claims of CDPR being the new BioWare are indeed true. I know I certainly approve of how they operate and respect the gaming community. 'Tis truly a rarity to see these days.

Is it normal for a DS3 (motionjoy 360 emulated) to feel a bit off playing this game? Its not the worst thing ever but if you hold the analog stick and let the camera pan, it does these pauses, almost like autoaim is centering on an object as it spins. Its a bit janky in other ways too.

PC related- My cpu is 48 deg Celsius running this game, within tolerances? Overclocked to 4.2ghz (i5 2500k)

RedSwirl

Is it normal for a DS3 (motionjoy 360 emulated) to feel a bit off playing this game? Its not the worst thing ever but if you hold the analog stick and let the camera pan, it does these pauses, almost like autoaim is centering on an object as it spins. Its a bit janky in other ways too.

PC related- My cpu is 48 deg Celsius running this game, within tolerances? Overclocked to 4.2ghz (i5 2500k)

I wish I had 48C under load. That's about what I get while idle.

Actually, how the hell do you get 48C while playing TW2? From what I hear temps of over 70C are common for this game. Mine's 90+.

squidyj

Nice brag, bro.

Relax bros, I dont know shit about hardware. The guy I bought this thing from said it never goes above 32 deg C. What a liar.

Also I checked by restarting the PC and going to bios, it was probably a bit higher. Anyway thats cool then.

Motionjoy...is it janky or is it the game?

Zeliard

I've never had any problems with Motioninjoy's 360 emulation in games, personally, but I use kb/m in Witcher 2 so I dunno about that game in particular.

I giggled at the comparison, although at least that scene in ME3 doesn't have

You say that as if it's a good thing

Cday

Banned

Actually, how the hell do you get 48C while playing TW2? From what I hear temps of over 70C are common for this game. Mine's 90+.

Mine only ever gets to the mid 40s with a CM212+. Once you get into the mid 70s C you're in the danger zone and you need to do something about it. It's possible you could be getting false readings, but take no chances.

RedSwirl

Mine only ever gets to the mid 40s with a CM212+. Once you get into the mid 70s C you're in the danger zone and you need to do something about it. It's possible you could be getting false readings, but take no chances.

Well 100 is supposed to be my card's limit. 75 is what I get for most games. I just tried underclocking it and that didn't work. Dusting the inside with air didn't do anything either. I'm told that my computer's case just has insufficient airflow.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Never had an issue with temps, but my rig has a big case, lots of fans, and a huge CPU cooler. Avg 25-35C idle on each core. My vid card has a TwinFrozr cooler on it, temps on idle are around 32-35C there.

Salacious Crumb

Well 100 is supposed to be my card's limit. 75 is what I get for most games. I just tried underclocking it and that didn't work. Dusting the inside with air didn't do anything either. I'm told that my computer's case just has insufficient airflow.

He's talking about his CPU not GPU, if your CPU is running at 75+ degrees regularly you have some serious problems.

teiresias

I currently don't have the game installed, but I do own it on Steam. Is the EE stuff going to be a patch, or will the Steam download incorporate a new executable and assets into the main download if you download the game after the EE is released and only download it as a patch for those that already have it.

Basically, if I'm going to be stuck downloading it as a patch even after release, I'll go ahead and start the download on Steam now for the original/base game and have the game on my PC already. Does anyone know how that is going to work?

Basically, if I'm going to be stuck downloading it as a patch even after release, I'll go ahead and start the download on Steam now for the original/base game and have the game on my PC already. Does anyone know how that is going to work?
After the Enhanced Edition is released on Steam, that'll be the version you download when you start from scratch.

Lingitiz

You were faithful to Triss weren't you?

I've seen the other scenes but its hardly frequent over a 25hr game. Say in comparison to something like Game of Thrones where there's at least 2 per episode thrown in for kicks. I know, different case and all, but still comparable enough to give an idea. I do agree though, when its there, there is alot.

patapuf

Yeah its actually not that bad. Only a few scenes, and its done fairly tastefully.

I understand why they pushed the sex a bit in the marketing campaign but you would think reviewers would call foul and say: well you know, actually there's not all that much nudity, exept when its there, its a lot.

instead everyone talks about it as if you see nudity all the time ;)

I've seen the other scenes but its hardly frequent over a 25hr game. Say in comparison to something like Game of Thrones where there's at least 2 per episode thrown in for kicks. I know, different case and all, but still comparable enough to give an idea.

Well yes, you are right, there aren't that many.

2AdEPT

OK, I´ll decide later. Maybe if I can change the difficulty on the fly I will start on normal.

Thanks for the heads up.
I don't remember if this was in the original PC release. But is the option to change difficulty after starting the game in here? I'm thinking about starting on Hard my first time through since I did Normal on my first time, but I haven't played in so long that I'm also thinking about doing Normal again.

Can I start on Hard and switch it down to Normal if I want?

the difficulty also includes the Dark setting after the last patch 2.0. I assume this option will exist for the 360 version as well. Dark can not be changed back once it is taken off and you will lose the bonus armour that comes with it. I played on easy to learn the game then restarted and switched to dark. As a noob to the series I had difficult times on dark but this is proabably the better setting for difficulty, especially if you want the cool armours. These have to be made from diagrams however and require a shit load of supplies and orens to build. I have seen others recommend just start on dark adn keep it there.... and I concur......makes it so much easier than worrying what setting to put it on a ll the time, even if you choose not to build the armours.Tnere is one tough part where you have to play as a ghost and as such lose your magic and alchemy cntrubution and are forced to use sword adn block only...this part may be tough on dark if you don't upgrade your sword tree at all. I had trouble on that part but have sinceused spoilers to figure out that there is a cheese spot/simple strategy which should improve it. Still say go dark as this spot is the only spot so far that I was not super powered usingthe magic tree.

The latter. Souls is much slower-paced and defense-based. Witcher 2 is largely about offense, but there are definitely similarities especially in terms of tactical awareness.

Souls also generally pits you against fewer enemies at a time, albeit tougher ones. There's a good amount of group-fighting in Witcher 2, which is where the AA-influenced ability to jump from enemy to enemy comes in handy nicely.
You don't really need to upgrade your sword skills since you can use a mix of Alchemy/Crafting to make even your non-upgraded swordfighting ability pretty devastating, but of course, that's where player choice and personal playstyle figures in.

Sounds to me that while not quite as punishing in the sense of trying to be diabolical like the Souls series, it is much faster paced and requires you to be able to think and act with the right tactic on the spot or be pulverized until you learn what to do. In which case, it actually sounds like it could be more difficult in certain scenarios. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Souls games feel just right to me in that every thing that happens to my character is closely linked to my button pressing. Full use of the R1 and R2 buttons was a good way to increase diversity adn the moveset changing for each weapon was so superior a move I can't even begin to compare other games that do not do this to that which is the souls combat. It is simply the best I have tried. Witcher does not use the r1 nor2 for combat and all swords have the same move set. When the guy does dance around it is arbitrary as far as I can tell and based on whether there is an enemy creeping into range or not. Basically I end up mashing x and hoping for the best. I think the magic an hotkey slow time but not stop in Witcher is actually superior ot any game I have tried but I really wish there was the full souls combat style for the witcher....combining more souls style combat in any rpg continues to be my plead.

Hmm, I do love me some lore. Might have to see if my laptop can handle the first one.
yes this is worth a shot...the game is amazing even with weird combat...I just put the combat on easy for now and am having fun with the characters....althoguh the voice acting is not as good as tw2. For 9.99 on steam or gog there isn't any real reason not to try it out.

do laptops have a thermometer as well? how can I test my temperature?

Top Bottom