• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Gowans

5 hours in and this is in the running for one of the best games I've ever played.

I'm completely hooked, everything else I was in the middle of has been dropped.

Arg! Why did nobody hold me down and force me to play this on my PC years ago.

It's amazing.!

5 hours in and this is in the running for one of the best games I've ever played.

I'm completely hooked, everything else I was in the middle of has been dropped.

Arg! Why did nobody hold me down and force me to play this on my PC years ago.

It's amazing.!

Now you understand the praise that was/is heaped upon the greatness that is The Witcher 2. If when you finish the game and you want more I definitely suggest you pick up The Last Wish. A great collection of stories about Geralt just being awesome.

Gowans

I'm so glad I got it early. Its just completely sucked me in.

Now my mission to complete it and hassle everyone of my mates to pick it up so they dont miss out.

The world, characters and stories are just brilliant.

Dabanton

I'll echo the sentiments.

Absolutely brilliant so far. don't wish to post explicit spoilers but i've just watched a hanging.. And the thing i love is how alive the towns feel with all the NPC dialogue and asides. It really adds to the overall mood.

Plus Geralt's droll delivery.

Miles better than the usual clag we get even the nudity at the beginning was treated in a sensible mature way (and by "mature" i don't mean the usual way it's used i.e guns and blood and childish tough guy swearing) There was a reason why the character was naked and it felt realistic in that situation.

But yeah the combat is fun. Difficult and also rewarding when you get through a tough battle.
Finally getting the hang of a few things as the game deliciously drops quite a lot of info on you at the beginning so you have to become acclimatised rather quickly to the way things work.

I didn't want to tun off this morning but i have so many potential new missons and other things i want to do in game that i had to rest or my eyes would have exploded :D

Marco1

Glad to see you're enjoying it Gowans.
I agree that anyone that doesn't pick this up on the xbox360 should be given a criminal record.

I'm so glad I got it early. Its just completely sucked me in.

Now my mission to complete it and hassle everyone of my mates to pick it up so they dont miss out.

The world, characters and stories are just brilliant.

If your only 5 hours in too, you still have plenty more to see and do. I envy all the new players, the sense of discovery and wonder is so bad ass. I remember when I picked it up last year on launch I was getting frustrated with the combat as I just wanted to spam the X and Y button and win. When I realized that I couldn't really do that, especially on a harder difficulty, my mind was blown. I died more time at the very very very first early encounter when you are taught about that the importance of quen, easly died 25 times trying to figure the tutorial out. That's when I realized this isn't the run of the mill RPG.

I was addicted and did massive marathon sessions. I loved it, my wife did not. I can't wait till Tuesday so that I can play the EE on the PC. I recently bought a GTX 680 and can now run TW2 at 60 FPS and it is glorious. Though, I did buy a copy for Xbox 360 from Toys R' Us when they had that sale just to show my support for this franchise. Not once EVER have I bought 2 copies of the EXACT same game with the intention of supporting the Devs, this is my first and I have no regrets. Enjoy all. Enjoy.

Maybe I am a jerk, but is it strange that I loved the fact that there was racism in this game? Not because I believe in that sorta of nonsense, I mean it's about damn elves and dwarves. But for the fact that it really added a sense of a believe-ability to the world that it just reeled me in. I love how poor, looked down upon races/people/lower class actually live in the ghetto. I mean, really? Has that ever been don before? I love this game, and love the fact that I can talk about it again with all the new players!

Marco1

Maybe I am a jerk, but is it strange that I loved the fact that there was racism in this game? Not because I believe in that sorta of nonsense, I mean it's about damn elves and dwarves. But for the fact that it really added a sense of a believe-ability to the world that it just reeled me in. I love how poor, looked down upon races/people/lower class actually live in the ghetto. I mean, really? Has that ever been don before? I love this game, and love the fact that I can talk about it again with all the new players!

I agree and it's not being a jerk, it's asking for your games to be a little bit more believable.
It's treating us like gamers that can deal with this stuff like adults. Did dragon age not have this also?

Gowans

The love the devs put in this game just shines through, so much polish, all the characters are differently modelled. It's so colourful in visuals, language and variety.

I love how much of a bad ass I'm playing too, though he's a total bastard as well. He'll stick up for people but doesn't give a ahit and expects a reward. Love it!

Arnie

Does anyone second the idea of placing Gowans under a gagging order? His impressions are ratcheting my hype up to silly levels, and it's distracting me.

keep it coming

Chinner

Banned
Does anyone second the idea of placing Gowans under a gagging order? His impressions are ratcheting my hype up to silly levels, and it's distracting me.

keep it coming

kyhtu.gif
the game is already out
kyhtu.gif

kyhtu.gif
it really is amazing though
kyhtu.gif

Arnie

Don't worry Arnie it will be with you soon and next time use shopto.
And please don't let EA buy these guys.
I accidentally paid for a years subscription to Amazon Prime so as a result I feel guilt tripped into purchasing every last thing on Amazon. Even if it doesn't make sense.

Dabanton

Don't worry Arnie it will be with you soon and next time use shopto.

Yep i ordered from them on friday and it came the next morning no problems. Great because i have the weekend to put some hours into it.

They really should have released this last friday though.

GAF, should I buy a 360 to play this game?

Hmm the way to look at it is. What other games would you be looking to play on 360? As getting a console for just one game is imo a waste of money.

Gowans

keep it coming
Haha.

I'll be quitet for a little bit while I squeeze in a couple more hours. I'm in no rush at all tho.

Solo

I can't wait for some OG W2 players to chime in and let me know what has been added. It will probably be a few weeks before I get around to it, and I need to know dem details!

Arnie

i dontr want to give much away but theres one scene that involves NUDITY and MAGIC.

what the fuck more do you want.

dwarves?

On that note, as someone who's nearly finished ASOIAF this is as close as I'm going to get to a stellar game adaptation.

Thrakier

So please people, tell me how much better that is than all the open "you are the character" bullshit games which are so common nowdays. It's just so much fun to play a kickass character like Geralt. Currently playing RAGE and I can't stop thinking how much a strong player character would add to the game. But you barely see this guy and he has no backstory at all, no character. You just fell like a visitor in that world looking throug a cameras eyes, not like you belong there.

Kyaw

I can't wait for some OG W2 players to chime in and let me know what has been added. It will probably be a few weeks before I get around to it, and I need to know dem details!

I'll get this thing preloaded ASAP. 17th is like two days away.

ss_lemonade

Just finished downloading the monster 10gig update thingy. Cant wait to play this again next week. My 6970 should be more than enough now (beat it the first time with a gtx275)

Currently on patch 35 of the pre-load. Slowly but surely.
GAF, should I buy a 360 to play this game?
Buying a 360 for one game is a recipe for disappointment/resentment.
Make a list of games you'd like to play on 360, then decide. Just make sure there's more you want on the system before spending $300.

On that note, as someone who's nearly finished ASOIAF this is as close as I'm going to get to a stellar game adaptation.
Pretty much, but in kind of a good way.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Too bad about not being able to preload on Steam. Never got around to my Roche playthrough, so this will get me back to that.

So please people, tell me how much better that is than all the open "you are the character" bullshit games which are so common nowdays. It's just so much fun to play a kickass character like Geralt. Currently playing RAGE and I can't stop thinking how much a strong player character would add to the game. But you barely see this guy and he has no backstory at all, no character. You just fell like a visitor in that world looking throug a cameras eyes, not like you belong there.

I agree, especially about RAGE. Seems like the silent protagonist is a big problem in many games lately, and it's a big cop out. Playing as Geralt is so memorable because he has defined characteristics, and a strong personality. Not to mention, for me at least, the Witcher universe is the most exciting fantasy universe. It tackles a lot of relevant issues and isn't too "fantasy". I especially love it because it seems to take a lot of ideas from folklore, especially monsters.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I agree, especially about RAGE. Seems like the silent protagonist is a big problem in many games lately, and it's a big cop out. Playing as Geralt is so memorable because he has defined characteristics, and a strong personality. Not to mention, for me at least, the Witcher universe is the most exciting fantasy universe. It tackles a lot of relevant issues and isn't too "fantasy". I especially love it because it seems to take a lot of ideas from folklore, especially monsters.

Don't forget the fantastic cast of characters to go with the universe, with Roche as the best character from gaming this generation yet (medievil sas all over this bitch). Plus tits and whores in the game are done with justice.

Ricker

Just finished downloading the monster 10gig update thingy. Cant wait to play this again next week. My 6970 should be more than enough now (beat it the first time with a gtx275)

Does it do it automatically like the other patches...? because I don't think my launcher is updating anything yet,unless the new stuff(the 4 new missions etc,etc)will auto download on the 17th from the launcher?

RedSwirl

I was gonna try to beat
the Dragon one more time and then let Letho live to see the Iorveth ending
before upgrading my game to EE, but fuck it. I don't know how the hell I beat that thing last time around. I can dodge its attacks fine, but I'm doing jack shit damage to it. I can do maybe 16 damage per hit, and that's with an enhancement on the silver sword.

I think I'll just go back for that again once I've run through on the EE... whenever that is. Might have to be on my next system.

Never had an issue with temps, but my rig has a big case, lots of fans, and a huge CPU cooler. Avg 25-35C idle on each core. My vid card has a TwinFrozr cooler on it, temps on idle are around 32-35C there.

On a second look, I'm not sure if my computer even has a main fan. I can hear it, but I can't see it when I open the thing up. That might be the GPU fan. I can see the GPU fan and a fan on the PSU but nothing else. There's a heat sink in the center of the case but I'm not 100% sure what that does.

MitchDyer

Neo Member
I think we will see more sites that reviewed the game last year giving less point to the EE because they see it as a port, and excellent port, but still not a new game.

That's honestly not how it works. Technical issues are the most likely culprit for the lower scores -- it was at Radar and IGN, it seems, among others. In addition, and I don't think it applies to The Witcher 2 because it's already a forward-thinking game, things can change between a PC release and a console port. Standards, innovations, all that. That could affect some perceptions. I don't think it colored anyone here, though.

RS4-

Man, I have it for PC but I don't remember how much time I've put into it.

Now I'm getting it for 360 today and I don't know why.

Play it on a PC, it was around $15 recently and not in 672p.

Not everyone has a pc that can play this.

To answer the question, I probably would buy a console to play this game. But you should look at what else the 360 offers and not just buy one for this game.

Top Bottom