• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Anyone here played both PC and 360 versions? I'd just like to know how it controls on 360, especially the combat.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not everyone has a pc that can play this.

To answer the question, I probably would buy a console to play this game. But you should look at what else the 360 offers and not just buy one for this game.

So spend $60+$200 to play one game? Buy a used desktop and a newer GPU and enjoy 1080P! Think of Steam and all those glorious $5 games!

Lingitiz

So spend $60+$200 to play one game? Buy a used desktop and a newer GPU and enjoy 1080P! Think of Steam and all those glorious $5 games!

Yeah I would say anyone interested enough in this game to buy a console for it might as well just get a pc/upgrade and that version.

Yeah I would say anyone interested enough in this game to buy a console for it might as well just get a pc/upgrade and that version.

I would also say this, but only because buying a console for any one game is totally ridiculous. That being said, I don't know, he could look at what's on the 360 and see if he preferred that backlog of exclusives more.

No PC Bayo for example =(

Gowans

I just snuck in another hour messing around in the first town you get to.

I think what gets me with this game is the edge it has that would be polished out of most other devs from feedback from focus groups/accessibility/wider audience etc.

This game feels like the Game of Thrones of RPGs to me.
The only character I'm not in love with so far is the bard.

Love the amount of Arseholes in this game too, brings me pure joy!

Relax.MX

I think what gets me with this game is the edge it has that would be polished out of most other devs from feedback from focus groups/accessibility/wider audience etc.

Already played the first Witcher? TW2 is my GOTY2011 but the first one is even better

Will there be a regular version, as opposed to the Enhanced Edition? If so, is the Enhanced Edition limited?
No. For all intended (:p) purposes, the EE is the Witcher 2. It should not be limited, no.
They have/had a collectors edition for EE which is called the Dark Edition and seemed quite limited.

RedSwirl

Yeah, design-wise a lot of the quests do things that AAA console games from big publishers just wouldn't do at all. A lot of things having to do with the context of the story in relation to the challenge in finishing quests. One Chapter 2 quest in particular perfectly illustrates this.

Ricker

Anyone here played both PC and 360 versions? I'd just like to know how it controls on 360, especially the combat.

The 360 controller is perfect for combat and all but the menues are a little annoying but thats not the controller's fault,it's the UI that needs getting use to...I find it awful.

Truant

Sucks that the free PC backup won't be out until next week. I bought the Steam version, but I've read that version runs a little slower because of the DRM. I want the GOG stuff!

abuC

I've had this game sitting on my HDD for at least 3 months now, have to beat the first one before I can jump in.

inky

I hope they at least fix the Steam overlay, and especially the the bug that launches the M Net framework installer every fucking time you try to play the game.

Complistic

I hope they at least fix the Steam overlay, and especially the the bug that launches the M Net framework installer every fucking time you try to play the game.

There's a fix for that where you just delete a couple folders. I can only assume they've fixed that, would be pretty dumb if they didn't.

Truant

I would say the second is much better than the first in most regards...the first is a pretty archaic game in many aspects

Replaying TW1 right now, and while the mood and story are both great, the game hasn't aged very well. Cinematics are fisheyed and the animation is awkward at best.

Ragus

Banned
Damn, I'm really getting my ass kicked on normal difficulty. I had to finish the first chapter on easy, and I'm afraid that easy will stay here for the rest of the game.

squidyj

2 days and I can throw back in on OCD Dark Mode with (Act 2 sorta spoiler)
The Virgin in Vergen

10 MADNESS OR BUST.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah, design-wise a lot of the quests do things that AAA console games from big publishers just wouldn't do at all. A lot of things having to do with the context of the story in relation to the challenge in finishing quests. One Chapter 2 quest in particular perfectly illustrates this.

yep

I wish CD Project did all Mass Effect games.

No. For all intended (:p) purposes, the EE is the Witcher 2. It should not be limited, no.
They have/had a collectors edition for EE which is called the Dark Edition and seemed quite limited.

I don't wanna sound like an asshole here, I just think you should know it's actually all "intents and purposes." I only mention it since you tried to correct it lol :p

Damn, I'm really getting my ass kicked on normal difficulty. I had to finish the first chapter on easy, and I'm afraid that easy will stay here for the rest of the game.

That final part of the first chapter is the hardest part of the game because one does not have enough points invested into the proper skills, and the gear is still shitty. It gets easier from there on.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

yeah, you can switch to normal from now on.

Gvaz

Banned
I don't even like to harp on reviews, for the most part, but the raw difference in treatment between these two is pretty damn hilarious

TW2: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222949p1.html -- Low-key fare, don't agree with a way it was went about, but no real issue.

ME3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-review --Big ol splash page, AMAZING, 9.5 at the front, NO NEGATIVES, BUY NOW AT GAMESTOP. ffs.

8.5 for TW2 and 9.5 for ME3?

Someone's either fucking retarded or EA lined IGN's wallets. This is fucking shameless.

This isn't even an opinion, LOOK AT THESE TWO FUCKING THINGS.

i-Lo

Wow! I was just watching Witcher 1's video review (I know the game came out in 2007) and I have to say, the second game received massive graphical upgrade. Honestly, it is staggering. Even more so when I read somewhere in this forum that it cost around US $8 million to develop.

Also, does anyone know why they skipped over the first game to port to console?

Relax.MX

i wouldn't say the first is better. it definitely does somethings better though in regards to story and pacing.

I would say the second is much better than the first in most regards...the first is a pretty archaic game in many aspects

The first Witcher has the best choice system ever...the story is better i know is slower, but that fits well with the style of narration of discover the world at the same that Gerald (and other thing like the ending and
Alvin
/ final boss debate), the feels of freedom...and like the books you can go neutral..

And i really love TW2 like a said before is my GOTY 2011...

Exuro

The first Witcher has the best choice system ever...the story is better i know is slower, but that fits well with the style of narration of discover the world at the same that Gerald (and other thing like the ending and
Alvin
/ final boss debate), the feels of freedom...and like the books you can go neutral..

And i really love TW2 like a said before is my GOTY 2011...
Yeah, TW1 affected me much more than TW2 did. The story and pacing was better and it had an extremely solid ending. This might sound weird but I also liked all of the grindy monster slaying quests in TW1 on top of it having more monster variety. I would pay a lot of money fora TW1 remake on the RED engine.

My only gripe has always been with the way the games handles saves. New auto/quick saves don't overwrite old ones, so the save folder can balloon in size if you don't manage it. Though I'm not expecting them to address it with enhanced edition.

Lingitiz

8.5 for TW2 and 9.5 for ME3?

Someone's either fucking retarded or EA lined IGN's wallets. This is fucking shameless.

This isn't even an opinion, LOOK AT THESE TWO FUCKING THINGS.
Yeah I don't want to say anything against the quality of the ME series, because it is great, but you can damn well bet that if TW2 had a bigger marketing budget when it came out last year, it would've been getting slightly higher scores and more goty nods.

NekoFever

Wow! I was just watching Witcher 1's video review (I know the game came out in 2007) and I have to say, the second game received massive graphical upgrade. Honestly, it is staggering. Even more so when I read somewhere in this forum that it cost around US $8 million to develop.

There was a 360 version of the first one under way by an external studio, but there were creative differences and missed deadlines. It was never officially cancelled so maybe it could get revived as a downloadable if this one is a hit.

Digoman

Yeah, as much as I'm enjoying seeing people discovering the second game on consoles, they should be careful when wanting to play the first one. It is a very good game, but it was also CDPR first one (I think) and it was severely handicapped by the engine used (Aurora, based on the Neverwinter Nights), and the choice to try to make it more action oriented. So, the combat isn't for everyone. I still like that game very much, but aside from the world and characters, it is very different game.

They tried, by contracting another studio to make it. It didn't really work out... can't really remember how the story ended but there were some accusations between both sides. Probably has a lot to do with the fact, between a third-party engine and a more "traditional" PC interface/mechanics, the port wouldn't be easy thing to do.

In the end, CDPR made the engine they wanted for The Witcher 2, designed a (better IMHO) combat system that could be easily translated to the consoles and the result is the amazing game that more people can enjoy.

EDIT: ops.. beaten.. that will teach me not to go to another window and read something else before pressing "post", hehe.

I don't even like to harp on reviews, for the most part, but the raw difference in treatment between these two is pretty damn hilarious

TW2: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1222949p1.html -- Low-key fare, don't agree with a way it was went about, but no real issue.

ME3: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-review --Big ol splash page, AMAZING, 9.5 at the front, NO NEGATIVES, BUY NOW AT GAMESTOP. ffs.

Mass Effect 3 isn’t the best game ever made. But it’ll certainly be in the conversation for a very long time to come.

ahuahuahuhauhauhuaha

Mass Effect 3 was not even the best game of its release month

2AdEPT

Another reminder that Dark mode exists and although difficult at first, blalnces the game for later levels when you become OP with magic and skill treees....unfortuately there is not that much increase in enemy difficulty so even for those that are getting hammered on normal I suggest dark...the extra armours are nice albeit expensive and difficult to craft, but dark was patched in later for a reason...it balances the game overall. The only problem is yo can't swith back ot dark if you go easy later...and you will lose the armours.

I assume it is just because the second one was out already, and they want to promote the latest versions of everything....dark souls not demons will get the PC version and it makes intuitive sense to me to do it that way. The story canalways be read online or figured out other ways....newer is always more marketable.

ahuahuahuhauhauhuaha

Mass Effect 3 was not even the best game of its release month

Oldest trick in the game journalism editor in chief's book.
Give the mainstream game to one of the "senior" journalists, as you know he's so nerdy and pathetically hooked to games that he'll fire a 9.5 no matter what.

Give the relatively unknown gem that must score lower (for visibility reasons) to the most intelligent, toughest critic you have, which by definition probably doesn't review much of the mainstream ultra hyped shit: he'll be true to his snotty standards and never touch a 9 OR to another mainstream idiot that just feeds on pizza and Lost, and will consider it not cool enough for a 9.

There you go. When january comes, no fear: game of the year is the one voted most, not the result of a verdict based on facts and well argumented , intelligent opinions.

Top Bottom