• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

teiresias

Does anyone using an Nvidia card with the latest beta drivers have an opinion on whether forcing FXAA via the driver looks better than using the FXAA Injector or is the injector still better since you can tune pre-sharpening?

I used the original injector (before you could mess with the sharpening easily) when I played the first part of the game the last time and it was ok, but was just wondering what people's experiences were.

I think I'm going to download the latest drivers though to try and use adaptive V-sync with the game.

hwalker84

You sure you got the patch installed right? Mine says it in the launcher and in the start menu.

eqLCv.jpg

hzmJp.jpg

Doesn't Steam automatically update it? It certainly hasn't for me. Nothing about mine says Enhanced Edition.

Haeleos

When did they bump the price up by almost $20 over the regular version if they didn't bring any of the visual enhancements over?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Although I definitely think if there were any additional UI/gamepad improvements not carried over from the 360, that's a shame. I'm not sure I ever saw anyone explain what they were, other it was improved.

I've been sifting through recent interviews, these are the most telling comments I could find.

Will the Enhanced Edition effect the game's combat?

AB: The Xbox 360 version gets an interface system designed for the console gamepad. Now the targeting system and camera system have been rearranged. The combat is still tactical, brutal and dynamic, but' thanks to our changes' console players can feel like real sword masters. Remember that it’s still the Witcher. These means you really have to plan your moves ahead and use your brains as well us your combat skills.

So you're adapting the game to the console, could you tell us what the difference between adapting a game and "porting" is?

(...) Also we re-adapted the controls for the Xbox gamepad, that is to say, the PC version supported gamepad controls, but now they're close to being perfect. Also, the spectacular combat in The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition really flows on the Xbox 360. You feel like a real sword master as you slash through ranks of foes and roll through pools of monster blood.

It's mostly vague PR speak, but the targeting system, UI, and the new smart cam (which "allows the POV to stay always behind the character, without the need of using the right stick") are specifically mentioned. We also know that the default button layouts have been changed, but that doesn't really matter. Hopefully a fellow GAFfer with both versions will drop some details soon.

Doesn't Steam automatically update it? It certainly hasn't for me. Nothing about mine says Enhanced Edition.

Yeah. Try restarting steam if you haven't yet. It will also start with that new video of the king getting killed on his boat. If those things aren't happening you don't have the enhanced version.

Guri

Yes, I agree. I remember getting 50-60 FPS when the game came out :/

So far the only big thing I've noticed is lots of small critters in flotsam. Was hoping for some tech improvements. In fact the game seems to be running a little worse than I remember. Going to check out my settings.

Weird. It got better for me, as I said. It added 10-15 fps, Ultra quality (using the user.ini available in the performance thread), going between 60 and 75 fps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When did they bump the price up by almost $20 over the regular version if they didn't bring any of the visual enhancements over?

Because they added 4+ hours of extra playable content, a handful of additional assets and polish to presentation, a new introduction cinematic, intermission cinematics to bridge chapters, and a series of epilogue cinematics shaped to your decisions made throughout the game.

Like anybody I too would have liked some visual additions or improvements, especially to shadows, but the way some people are acting like visual improvements are the defining point of the expanded edition, despite CDP never marketing it as such, is unbelievably baffling.

On which settings? I am lucky to get 30 FPS on my rig on high with uber sampling off:

Intel Core i2600
8 GB RAM
GTX 570

That is...weird. I have an i5 2500K OC'd to 4.3Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and a factory OC'd GTX 570. With everything maxed, ubersampling disabled, I average 45 - 60 fps.

GAF HELP.

Everytime I launch TW2 on steam...

It goes into Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Maintenance..

it's annoying as hell.. what can I do? Anyone who has this problem... how do I cure my PC of this annoyance :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ah ha! There's hope. I found my product key in the registry and input into GOG. Now I have my EE redeemed. Will DL through the GOG launcher now.

Maladict

Neo Member
So it seems like my Witcher 1 save files has been corrupted since I last played the game. First I thought it was a problem with W2 not finding any save files but I just installed W1 and the game just crashes as soon as I try to load them. Would kinda suck to play W2 (and W3 after that I guess) without the choices I made in W1. So is there a site where I can download save files with all the diffrent outcomes from W1?

Because they added 4+ hours of extra playable content, a handful of additional assets and polish to presentation, a new introduction cinematic, intermission cinematics to bridge chapters, and a series of epilogue cinematics shaped to your decisions made throughout the game.

Like anybody I too would have liked some visual additions or improvements, especially to shadows, but the way some people are acting like visual improvements are the defining point of the expanded edition, despite CDP never marketing it as such, is unbelievably baffling.

Yeah, I thought everyone was psyched about the new content. I didn't even know about/expect visual upgrades.

Were there lighting improvements? 360 got lighting changes but I didn't see any comparison pics showing it as better.

Lingitiz

Yeah, I thought everyone was psyched about the new content. I didn't even know about/expect visual upgrades.

Were there lighting improvements? 360 got lighting changes but I didn't see any comparison pics showing it as better.

I didn't think they were even better. Aside from that lighting in the tower, the 360 version looks washed out to me. But yeah, I don't understand how anyone can say the PC version is being shafted due to some graphical changes on 360, some of which are to get the game running on it. The more exciting stuff are the new cinematics and longer 3rd act.

Cheerwine

Neo Member
GAF HELP.

it's annoying as hell.. what can I do? Anyone who has this problem... how do I cure my PC of this annoyance :(

I have the same problem. Best (albeit imperfect) solution I could find was to rename the "redist" folder in the witcher 2 folder to something else (I went with redist_OLD). Still boots up the "First Time Installation" thing, but it only stays up for a second or two, skips the .NET Framework junk, and then just moves on to running the launcher.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Which thread can the console peasants post in?

Its so great, like Prometheus bring fire to the rest of the world.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

The lighting has been changed in the 360 build. I assume, on a technical level, it's doing less than the PC build ever did. But, from a stylistic perspective, some (myself included) have felt that some of the changes in the 360 build actually look a little bit better than the PC release, largely due to more natural tones and less radioactive bloom. This is probably a product of the 360 build having its lighting overhauled for the weaker hardware, resulting in a different 'look' to the game.

As it is, the PC version looks exactly as it always has. No obvious improvements or changes to the lighting engine or shadows. Though apparently some scenes have been altered to improve lighting on characters and what not.

Otherwise there's a handful of improved assets, such as new props/NPCs and textures, which are in both builds.

But 90% of what CPD has promoted for the Enhanced Edition has been content. 4+ hours of new questing to bulk out the last act, coupled with new areas to explore. Intermission cutscenes. An intro cutscene. And epilogue scenes shaped to your choices. They did talk about some visual tweaks, but not to to the degree some people seem to believe.

Really, I think people are riding too much off the original The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which was mostly presentation and visual improvements versus substantial new content. The Witcher 2 is the other way around.

Really, I think people are riding too much off the original The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which was mostly presentation and visual improvements versus substantial new content. The Witcher 2 is the other way around.

And I think that is the way it should be. While there are a few things about The Witcher 2 that could be changed visually on the PC, it is still arguably the best looking game out there so I would much rather have a bunch of new content then a marginally better looking game.

Tokubetsu

That is...weird. I have an i5 2500K OC'd to 4.3Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and a factory OC'd GTX 570. With everything maxed, ubersampling disabled, I average 45 - 60 fps.

Pretty much how I feel.

teiresias

360_newart281plz.png

pc_newart24yrsf.png

360_lighting2qpqkw.png

pc_lighting2vtqzl.png

Posted by Chinner in the Eurogamer analysis thread.

All those PC screenshots are from pre-EE versions of the game though, so they wouldn't show any potential texture upgrades (though it seems the PC didn't get the lighting change).

I REALLY want to see a screenshot of that Nekker from a post-EE install so we can really judge whether CDPR skimped out on the PC crowd.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After an unbearably long download/installation progress, I'm finally up and running. Not that it matters anymore, but the full Enhanced Edition download went smoothly, and it booted proper with no errors or hang-ups.

GIby7.gif

Aw yeah, let's do this!

Grymm

Banned
GAF HELP.

It did the .net framework maintenance for me after I patched the game up and when it completed it asked me to reset my pc. I did that once and have had no problems since. So just let it run and finish and when it's done restart and I think you'll be good.

Eusis

Question for anyone that successfully applied the patch to a retail copy: Does it list WB, Atari, or neither in the logo slideshow? After my patching problem I just uninstalled, went to GOG, and reinstalled with their copy, so I wouldn't know for myself.

EatChildren

I don't think anybody has commented on the Nekker texture. From the brief playing around I did, the new NPC assets load (eg: pigs/dugs in Flotsam), and I believe the (Act II spoiler)
comet uses a new asset
. It's hard to know what other textures have been spruced up without literally...knowing which textures have been spruced up :p.

The only thing that is obvious at face value is that the lighting and shadows are as they've always been.

owlbeak

Aside from one cutscene, when are you guys ever zoomed in close enough to a nekker to complain about the texture??

Seriously, you just got a shitload of new content FOR FREE for a fantastic game that makes it even better. Just go enjoy it! :]

Tokubetsu

After an unbearably long download/installation progress, I'm finally up and running. Not that it matters anymore, but the full Enhanced Edition download went smoothly, and it booted proper with no errors or hang-ups.

GIby7.gif

Aw yeah, let's do this!

WHAT THE FUCK IS IORVETH DOING IN THE FRONT SEAT?
Geralt would never put his bro Roche in the back.

All those PC screenshots are from pre-EE versions of the game though, so they wouldn't show any potential texture upgrades (though it seems the PC didn't get the lighting change).

I REALLY want to see a screenshot of that Nekker from a post-EE install so we can really judge whether CDPR skimped out on the PC crowd.

4d1c6fb40be4a98afd50ff0fb95a4a475fc97493.jpg

EatChildren

Well then, there you go. Very, very strange that the Xbox 360 version uses a superior texture (minus the additional PC effects).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
lol, wonderful, the pre-load is somehow corrupted. Gonna have to download it all over again.

Oh well.

I'm talking about which quests they added to which Acts, where the new areas lie, etc.

You downloading from GOG or Steam? You try redeeming your Steam key in GOG's Witcher 2 page? Worked for my retail copy and I'm downloading of GOG now. Have pulled down almost 7GB in about 25 minutes.

Grymm

Banned
Question for anyone that successfully applied the patch to a retail copy: Does it list WB, Atari, or neither in the logo slideshow? After my patching problem I just uninstalled, went to GOG, and reinstalled with their copy, so I wouldn't know for myself.

Neither. The opening logo slideshow is considerably shorter now and only lists bandai/Namco, RedEngine, and CD Projeckt Red before showing the new opening cinema.

Eusis

Neither. The opening logo slideshow is considerably shorter now and only lists bandai/Namco, RedEngine, and CD Projeckt Red before showing the new opening cinema.
Hmmm, perhaps I should've asked for anyone in North America (or using an NA copy despite living elsewhere for some reason), unless that IS what you're using. Since CD Projekt Red stuck with Namco Bandai both times in Europe I figured that would stay the same.

Just so everyone knows the pc shots here are vanilla and not EE.

Yes, sorry should have mentioned that. It was more a demonstration of the lighting differences. It is definitely I personal preference (in terms of preferred lighting), but I think the 360 versions lighting looks fantastic and I'm sort of jealous... :)

Edit: So the PC version doesn't get the improved textures either (at least in the case of the Nekker)?

tauke

While I yet to upgrade my ancient desktop since I last play vanilla The Witcher 2 on launch day, I still feel the urge to play it again with Iorveth path this time.

/launch GOG.com downloader and download Enhanced Edition

Top Bottom