• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Reave

Just wanted to chime in with some early impressions of the Xbox 360 version. I'm probably going to say the same things that other people mentioned already, but what the hell. Maybe it'll help first timers like me.

• The visuals are truly amazing, all things considered. Texture pop-ins are about the only thing that I can count against TW2 right now. I was hoping it would have been gone after installing. Otherwise, I'm REALLY impressed.
  • The 360 controls work very well -- probably one of the smarter PC-to-console transitions I've seen to date. I wish there was a camera sensitivity option, but I don't miss it too much. The auto-adjust works surprisingly well.
  • I haven't encountered a loading time past eight seconds, post-install.
  • Not sure if it's my sound system or not, but some of the voice acting has a buzz sound, as if it's too loud when it actually isn't. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's something that I caught no less.
  • The framerate is godly; again, all things considered.
  • Getting acclimated to the storyline as a newcomer to the series can be a little difficult at first. If you're not familiar with the series, I'd definitely suggest watching one of those lousy "Lets play" YouTube playlists for TW1.
  • Free games kick ass.

It isn't hard to please people. Here's the way to please the person you quoted: bring the 360 enhancements to PC. None of those things you listed do that, so therefore they did not please him. What's so difficult to comprehend?

im glad he isn't pleased as those graphical enhancements was never promised to begin with

hlhbk

i hope your joking.. CD Projekt promised several hours of additional content, bug fixes, a GOG backup and your still not happy? it's hard to please babies.. lol

I am not joking in the slightest. There is aboslutely no reason to not bring the technical enhancements to the engine to the PC version other than forcing people to douple dip for it. This is an EAesc move. You say they never said that the enhancements weren't coming to PC? They never said they weren't coming either.

Cels

Just wanted to chime in with some early impressions of the Xbox 360 version. I'm probably going to say the same things that other people mentioned already, but what the hell. Maybe it'll help first timers like me.

Are you getting vibration/rumble to work on 360? Like when you swing your sword/cast Signs/get hit do you have force feedback? Unfortunately I haven't got it to work, looking to see if other 360 players are having same issue.

Minsc

Gold Member
I am not joking in the slightest. There is aboslutely no reason to not bring the technical enhancements to the engine to the PC version other than forcing people to douple dip for it. This is an EAesc move. You say they never said that the enhancements weren't coming to PC? They never said they weren't coming either.

Perhaps CDProjekt doesn't view the lighting differences as enhancements? Have they ever said it that way? Some people have speculated it's different simply because it has to be to run on the 360. Not saying they're right, but I'm not decided yet on the matter, need to see more areas and comparisons. Just like with Bloom lighting on the PC, it's not always black and white as to which is best (on or off). Although I definitely think if there were any additional UI/gamepad improvements not carried over from the 360, that's a shame. I'm not sure I ever saw anyone explain what they were, other it was improved.

Max

I am not Max
Steam entry still just says 'The Witcher 2' but apparently the patch has been released according to the Steam forum

Lingitiz

Besides the lighting changes, what are the actual improvements in the 360 version? The lighting thing seems kinda subjective.

It isn't hard to please people. Here's the way to please the person you quoted: bring the 360 enhancements to PC. None of those things you listed do that, so therefore they did not please him. What's so difficult to comprehend?

Yeah, though the extra content for free is incredibly awesome, I can't help but be disappointed we aren't seeing the lighting changes/improvements as they look fantastic. I would possibly pay $5-$10 for them...

injurai

Banned
Perhaps CDProjekt doesn't view the lighting differences as enhancements? Have they ever said it that way? Some people have speculated it's different simply because it has to be to run on the 360. Not saying they're right, but I'm not decided yet on the matter, need to see more areas and comparisons. Just like with Bloom lighting on the PC, it's not always black and white as to which is best (on or off). Although I definitely think if there were any additional UI/gamepad improvements not carried over, that's a shame. I'm not sure I ever saw anyone explain what they were, other it was improved.

If people really are in an uproar over this over the next few weeks I wouldn't be surprised if a few more PC updates come just to even things out. The only reason I expect a lot out of CD Projekt Red is because I hope that they don't falter what the have started for themselves. They have a great reputation going. Although shadows are hardly a thing to get upset over, I know they take pride in attending the small details.

Aeana

im glad he isn't pleased as those graphical enhancements was never promised to begin with

I don't personally care about the graphical stuff, but the UI and control improvements for 360 controllers should have been brought over.

But I'm not sure why it matters if something was promised or not. The changes were made, just only to one version. It doesn't seem unreasonable to desire parity when they already went through all of the effort to bring Enhanced Edition to PC in the first place. Although I am pretty sure that CDPR did indeed say that PC users would be getting all of the stuff they were adding to the 360 version.

Steam entry still just says 'The Witcher 2' but apparently the patch has been released according to the Steam forum

Yeah been out for a few hours so if you had your PC on, maybe it downloaded. It says Enhanced Edition in the main menu, so you'll know as soon as you start it up.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
WTF? I'm running 2 6950s in Crossfire and it automatically puts shit at the lowest spec. WTF is this madness?

hlhbk

Oh and let me be clear on how displeased I am with this:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_wit...rcing_your_most_loyal_customers_to_double_dip

Before I get into this let me be clear. Since the origional Witcher was released I have pointed to CD Projekt as the pinnacle of a way a company should treat pc gamers to encource less piracy in the industry. They treated the PC gamers very well, realized that constantly improving their games was key to keeping the pc gamers loyal, and didn't make the pc gamers feel like criminals when they bought their games with stupid DRM.

Now comes the Witcher 2 Enhanced edition. While the extra content of the 360 version is there, the gameplay improvements, and lighting graphical improvements are only to be found on the 360 version. This in essense is encouraging the PC gamers to double dip if they want the best possible version of the game.

To this I say: REALLY? This is how you treat your most loyal customers? Without PC gamers there never would have even been a 360 version! Now before anyone comes out and tries to defend cd Projekt saying that they never said that the missing improvements would be present I counter that by saying they never correctly set their customer expectations by saying it wouldn't be there.

CD Projekt this is an Electronic Artsesc move. Consider this all respect lost from one of your most loyal fans/customers.

I stand by every word I wrote to them.

Aeana

I'm getting 34FPS atm, not fun to play.

I personally just limit the game to 30 FPS and it's pretty steady for the whole game on my setup. Solid framerate is much better than one that fluctuates. You can do that via Dxtory or in the latest nVidia drivers via nVidia Inspector.

Aeana

What resolution? Did you disable Ubersampling? I think a GTX 570 should perform better than that.

It's easy to get CPU limited with this game. With my CPU (Athlon II X4 3GHz), I actually get pretty much the same framerate on the lowest settings as I do on the highest (sans ubersampling) with my GTX 560 Ti.

Mine definitely doesn't say that.

You sure you got the patch installed right? Mine says it in the launcher and in the start menu.

eqLCv.jpg

hzmJp.jpg

Exuro

So far the only big thing I've noticed is lots of small critters in flotsam. Was hoping for some tech improvements. In fact the game seems to be running a little worse than I remember. Going to check out my settings.

So far the only big thing I've noticed is lots of small critters in flotsam. Was hoping for some tech improvements. In fact the game seems to be running a little worse than I remember. Going to check out my settings.

Yes, I agree. I remember getting 50-60 FPS when the game came out :/

It's easy to get CPU limited with this game. With my CPU (Athlon II X4 3GHz), I actually get pretty much the same framerate on the lowest settings as I do on the highest (sans ubersampling) with my GTX 560 Ti.

Oh ok. I was able to get 60 fps with an i7 930 @3.9 Ghz and an HD7970. I didn't realize it was so CPU intensive.

Top Bottom