• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Complistic

Nah, she doesn't. Drowners? Just took down a few in the Kayran's lair, all I got was Essence of Water. Don't think I'm fighting anymore Wraiths this chapter.

oh right they've got water. There's a bunch of loot and ingredients scattered around town. There might be some there. Wraiths and bruxa are the only enemies that'll give you essence of death.

Is there some easy strategy to beating the fucking
Druag? Since you have to destroy its shield
it seems like Quen's the only way to go aka you're fucked if you've been completely ignoring the Mage path.

Beat it twice once as pure swordsman and once as pure alchemy, on hard. You're not fucked. Just have to get used to timing it's attacks and dodging appropriately.

Even quen has its flaws on that battle, as he will often charge you while you are casting it, knocking quen off and stun locking you to death,I found that he was the hardest battle in the game for me, well apart from a certain gargoyle spewing, fireball throwing individual.

The battle also exacerbates my biggest problem with the combat (lack of invincibility frames for certain animations). Getting the
Draug
down to a sliver of health only to get killed by a trebuchet volley as Geralt is getting up from the ground is bullshit defined.

Even quen has its flaws on that battle, as he will often charge you while you are casting it, knocking quen off and stun locking you to death,I found that he was the hardest battle in the game for me, well apart from a certain gargoyle spewing, fireball throwing individual.
I had to cheat in that fight, because I just could not beat it. : (
Went into the geralt_basic.ini and upped my health and regen to 1000 each, hahahhaha. I turned it back off, but I just couldn't beat him legit. Ridiculous fight...

around 70% of what you see and do is different.

Wait, you are just talking about the difference in content depending on which path you take right? You're not saying there's actually 70 percent more content overall in the EE? I thought they just added 3-4 hours to chapter 3, some new cinematics and a bunch of patches/tweaks/fixes etc. I'm downloading the EE patch as I type btw.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I had to cheat in that fight, because I just could not beat it. : (
Went into the geralt_basic.ini and upped my health and regen to 1000 each, hahahhaha. I turned it back off, but I just couldn't beat him legit. Ridiculous fight...

You talking about the gargoyle guy?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Yeah... I wasn't expecting to run into as much trouble with that fight as I did, but it was just beyond my abilities.

He was a bugger, took me about 10 tries to kill him on normal on the Xbox, I found aard was a great help as you can knock him down even when he has his shield up, lucky he is optional boss.

Where is that ini located, can't seem to find it.
Program Files -> GOG.com -> Witcher 2 ->Cooked PC -> Abilities
edit: apparently it was an .xml, not an .ini whoops! My mistake! /edit

That's where mine is at, but it might have moved when I added the "no encumbrance" mod to my game. Don't judge me! I hate that mechanic any time it's used!

ugh, I remember why I loved this game so much when it first released. I'm really excited to see the new content. I'm diving in deep now as I'm free this whole weekend :)

playing on dark mode is intense.. It's what TW2 felt like on release :)

I'm getting my ass kicked and I'm LOVIN it.

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

Program Files -> GOG.com -> Witcher 2 ->Cooked PC -> Abilities
edit: apparently it was an .xml, not an .ini whoops! My mistake! /edit

That's where mine is at, but it might have moved when I added the "no encumbrance" mod to my game. Don't judge me! I hate that mechanic any time it's used!

Okay wtf, I have the steam version and don't have an abilities folder in my CookedPC directory.

Seems like they don't want us to cheat.

watership

What kind of time investment am I getting into here? I can get completionist when it comes to RPGs....so main quest and most of the side stuff?

Virtually every main battle I die... but when I'm happy I die. It allows me to take a moment to study what just happened. Who I should attack first, what kind of combo I should build up, and examine the situation: Is guard x going to hit me after I strike guard A, if so quickly turn and counter attack him. Are they going to surround me? barrel roll the fuck outta there.

when I retreat, it gives me time to throw up a fresh quen and place yrden. the yrden trap captures someone, do a barrel roll combo strike into battle taking him out, turn and continue the fight

rinse

repeat

I fucking love this game.

I'm assaulting the castle currently in the very beginning... when will I see some new content? no spoilers tho plz :D

wiggleb0t

Banned
I'm assuming you tried completely uninstalling it (and all the config files) and reinstalling it and all the patches?

Yeah tried it all... Even tried it on a spare hdd a fresh install of windows... Same problem.
Not sure if it's isolated to 5970 cards or something... Had trifire 5970 +5870 before and still had the problem...

It was fixed by a certain caps but it only fixed some sections....
Tech support has been useless/non existent. Funny how a problem like this can alter someones goty> near garbage.

I mean if the health bars/lock on work with ubersampling enabled surely it's not too difficult to fix it!(?)

Uriah

Is it worth it crafting any of the Dark mode weapons? If you don't have the full set, you lose health when wearing one piece right?

Complistic

Is it worth it crafting any of the Dark mode weapons? If you don't have the full set, you lose health when wearing one piece right?

You only lose health if you're using one of the unique dark weapons without a full set of dark armor.

edit: oh I guess that's what you're saying. So you're right. You don't want to use dark weapons without a full set of dark armor. Though you can craft dark armor and benefit from that and use normal weapons if you want.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What kind of time investment am I getting into here? I can get completionist when it comes to RPGs....so main quest and most of the side stuff?

35 - 40 hours for a run. Double that if you want to experience the 2 (wildly) different paths. Quadruple that if you want to see the major differences in those 2 paths. Octuple that if you want to see all the variants.

Quick

Banned
You guys weren't kidding about the more complex RPG elements vs. Mass Effect. I love it.

Had to stop since I was getting a headache after moving around so much. :lol

Need help with the kayran:

The tentacles on the way left or right, how I do deal with them swiping me from the side instead of coming straight down onto my traps
?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

The tentacles on the way left or right, how I do deal with them swiping me from the side instead of coming straight down onto my traps
?

You're too close to the sides, I think. Get just a bit closer to the center.

2AdEPT

Nah, she doesn't. Drowners? Just took down a few in the Kayran's lair, all I got was Essence of Water. Don't think I'm fighting anymore Wraiths this chapter.
The hospital quest got me a lot pre EE but I assume a new content quest is requiring the stuff? I never used the stuff (consciously) and thought I did all quests in act 1? What do you need it for?
Is there some easy strategy to beating the fucking
Druag? Since you have to destroy its shield
it seems like Quen's the only way to go aka you're fucked if you've been completely ignoring the Mage path.

I had to use traps ....even though I had a magic path boost, yrden did not last longer than a few seconds for me on dark..... I had 30 after collecting all of the ones I could find in the forest. This wasn't enough and had to use all 5 conflagrations as well. The treed path down to a sub area is shelter from arrows is not trebachet or whatever he says for meteors. the negative is that I did not find a way to go back and recover the traps....down to 5.....guess I better learn how to fight better for act 3?!?!!?

iavi

?

Stay
closer to the middle than not, but close enough to the end tentacle that the Kayran could still use it to swing down on you. The Kayran will switch up at times and try to hit you with the end tentacle, rather than the tentacle without the weakpoint.
Took me a while to get down too.

You're too close to the sides, I think. Get just a bit closer to the center.

Stay
closer to the middle than not, but close enough to the end tentacle that the Kayran could still use it to swing down on you. The Kayran will switch up at times and try to hit you with the end tentacle, rather than the tentacle without the weakpoint.
Took me a while to get down too.
Thanks, got it!

njean777

Umm quick question guys is the pc version broken? I downloaded the patch and it was corrupted. Uninstalled the game and then tried a fresh install and it wouldn't even download the patch again...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
And done! My only gripe is the lack of monster hunting. Witcher 1 has it beat in that regard. Kill the royalty so I can get back to my folktales.

And done! My only gripe is the lack of monster hunting. Witcher 1 has it beat in that regard. Kill the royalty so I can get back to my folktales.
Yeah I've only read one of the books but all the consorting with people and getting wrapped up in their nonsense seems out of character for Geralt. I'd honestly be happy if the whole game was a series of monster hunts.

Cheska

Honestly, I was freakin' loving this game up until this (Chapter 1 boss)
Kayran
fight. The amount of damage you take is pretty ridiculous, especially being so early on and it's leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth right now. I did finally beat it, but I had to turn the difficulty down and try numerous times. See, I wasn't having issues with anything else up until this point, and if the rest of the bosses are going to be this frustrating then I may have to rethink my stance on this game :(

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Bosses will be hard.

some mini-bosses (i.e. strong monsters) aren't hard if you know how to fight them so read books.

But there will be hard bosses. I don't think they are poorly designed though. I never had problems with the final boss for example. Just use stong attacks on him, that is all.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kayran
fight. The amount of damage you take is pretty ridiculous, especially being so early on and it's leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth right now. I did finally beat it, but I had to turn the difficulty down and try numerous times. See, I wasn't having issues with anything else up until this point, and if the rest of the bosses are going to be this frustrating then I may have to rethink my stance on this game :(

You can beat the kayran without getting hit, pay attention when you play instead of repeating your failed tactics over and over.

Varna

Kayran

If you think that one was hard... your not going to like the rest.

Kayran

I remember that boss being harder when I played it on PC. This time I did some sidequest and was bit better equiped for the whole thing and obviously did the potion part for it. But I found that outside of trying to avoid the tentacles when you are actually trying to trap them, you can easily just hug the walls and avoid most of the attacks.

The hardest battle so far is a battle near the end of chapter 1, which I never got to on PC.

Cheska

You can beat the kayran without getting hit, pay attention when you play instead of repeating your failed tactics over and over.

Don't assume I wasn't paying attention. I tried different methods and did eventually defeat him but it's not like you're given a whole lot of time to change things up. A few wrong moves and you're dead on account of the damage from each tentacle.

If you think that one was hard... your not going to like the rest.

Someone else just told me the same thing :(

I don't mind a hard boss, but it would be nice if the rest of the game was as evenly paced in terms of difficulty. It just throws me waay off when I'm slicing things left and right and then get hit with something like this.

2AdEPT

Kayran

I hear ya, but the kayran fight requires that you do everything a certain way ....I had to watch youtube. You have more flexibility with how you treat the next boss, who although seems impossible, can be beat with the menu of options available even on Dark. I suggest you do not get frustrated but calmly try a few different strategies until one works....I watched youtube for the next boss after Kayran but none were on dark and I ccouldn't replicate the strategy....eventually found my own strategy and it felt rewarding to surpass that very difficult challenge....the glory is commensureate with the level of the challenge,and diminshes if too easy.

I don't mind a hard boss, but it would be nice if the rest of the game was as evenly paced in terms of difficulty. It just throws me waay off when I'm slicing things left and right and then get hit with something like this.

I dunno....I expected that the Kayran would be the toughest of the monsters and was hoping for a tough encounter....it would have been real ppoor build up to havea breeze of a boss there.
the next bosses difficulty makes more sense storywise and meshes with the main storyline well....you won't realize this till after.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't get the purpose of this guide book. Thought it was a supplement but the table of contents and the minor amount of text I did read makes it sound like a mini walkthrough with potential spoilers?

I don't get the purpose of this guide book. Thought it was a supplement but the table of contents and the minor amount of text I did read makes it sound like a mini walkthrough with potential spoilers?

Its a mini guide that's meant to be looked at after beating the game so you can really dig deep into the branching paths.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have no idea how the (Chapter 1 boss)
Kayran
fights since all the updates, but the vanilla fight was bullshit.
I remember the falling stones and/or the tentacle whip were timed in such a way that if you got hit by one you'd never be able to recover, as the pattern of attacks was just a smidge faster than the time it takes for Geralt to get up. You'd get hit, struggle to get up, and get hit again. Two or three shots and you're dead. Dumb, awful design.

could really use an answer from those who have already beaten the game or have done multiple runs. this is in relation to the multiple paths you can take. I would really appreciate an answer as I'm just beginning my second run now.

alright, so I've just begun my second run due to EE and dark mode. my first run I sided with Iorveth and kicked Vernon's ass. I hear that the certain choices can take you into a wildly different direction...

I want to go down that path! is it simply to choose Vernon over Iorveth? Also... without giving too much away, how different are the paths really?

Thanks in advance ! :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
could really use an answer from those who have already beaten the game or have done multiple runs. this is in relation to the multiple paths you can take. I would really appreciate an answer as I'm just beginning my second run now.

alright, so I've just begun my second run due to EE and dark mode. my first run I sided with Iorveth and kicked Vernon's ass. I hear that the certain choices can take you into a wildly different direction...

I want to go down that path! is it simply to choose Vernon over Iorveth? Also... without giving too much away, how different are the paths really?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Yes, just side with Roche. That is the most drastically different path. You'll experience a whole new quest tree.

Zeliard

I have no idea how the (Chapter 1 boss)
Kayran
fights since all the updates, but the vanilla fight was bullshit.
I remember the falling stones and/or the tentacle whip were timed in such a way that if you got hit by one you'd never be able to recover, as the pattern of attacks was just a smidge faster than the time it takes for Geralt to get up. You'd get hit, struggle to get up, and get hit again. Two or three shots and you're dead. Dumb, awful design.

Haha yeah I remember tons of people having quite a deal with that one section of it. In my playthrough I just got lucky since I was able to
miss those big ass rocks when going up to him.

Eusis

I dunno if you really NEED to wait that long, but they give some unnecessary spoilers so I'd just avoid for now. Only checked at a key point because I was stuck and got near-future spoilers that didn't need to be given, IE (near end of Act 1)
how Letho will disarm you then let you go after you deal enough damage. They could've just said once the fight's done whoever you sided with immediately prior comes to get you then you return to town, if that
. I think from now on if I get stuck enough I'll just go ahead and turn the difficulty to Easy, at the start of Act II on
Roche's Path
I was in a BS combat situation so I decided to just tune it down until it was cleared.

Yes, just side with Roche. That is the most drastically different path. You'll experience a whole new quest tree.

awesome, this is truly a game that just keeps giving. This is my only second playthrough and I have the pleasures of taking the second path, the additional content that came with the first patch and the enhanced edition, and playing dark mode.

tw2 i am truly hot for you

Cheska

Ahhhh! Just came to a section where you have to pick between two of the characters in Chapter 1. Does it matter who you pick?
It's during the Assassins of Kings side quest, right before you fight Letho it asks you if you want to give Iorveth his sword or help Roche. I chose to help Roche only because it felt like the "good" thing to do. Should I have gone the other way? I actually liked Iorveth's character, and I'll be sad if that's the last I'll see of him.

Eusis

Ahhhh! Just came to a section where you have to pick between two of the characters in Chapter 1. Does it matter who you pick?
It's during the Assassins of Kings side quest, right before you fight Letho it asks you if you want to give Iorveth his sword or help Roche. I chose to help Roche only because it felt like the "good" thing to do. Should I have gone the other way? I actually liked Iorveth's character, and I'll be sad if that's the last I'll see of him.
I thought that was THE choice, but no,
you have another choice to make in that regard not too long after the fight.

Top Bottom