• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

bengraven

Yea on release Act 1 was the hardest part of the game. TW2 had a really strange almost reverse difficulty spike. It started out hard as fuck, and got progressively easier.

So many bitter tears in that first thread over the prologue. Dragon's fire is the purest death.

Yeah, that hospital in the forest and that cave where the woman lost something (it's been a while)...both are killing me instantly. Those are my two main side quests to do. I just gave up.

I even cheated and got that "god mode" mod that gives you a 600 second quen that ups your regen rate to astronomical settings and I was STILL getting killed in two hits in the hospital. That and some issues in the day or two post release where Flotsam was kicking my videocard's ass and I just gave up.

A few months ago I tried again and found my issues with Flotsam had been fixed by a patch, but not the hospital. First death and I said "Oh fuck you Witcher 2".

Definitely, I was going to say technically the game isn't the best.

Witcher 1 still has one of the best plots of the last decade and the music was the best since Diablo 2.

Graphics aren't that horrible - still better than most of the stuff I've seen.

bengraven

Does your choice of Triss and Shani from W1 change anything in W2? I'm assuming not because Xbox gamers would be going in fresh.

gdt

God I love the combat in this game. So much fun getting the hang of it, plus feeling the growth as you upgrade the swordsmanship tree.

NBtoaster

Nope. I turned off the in game AA. Downsampling looks more than good enough.

Have you tried it with everything on? It's almost too good to go back..

witcher12oj9l.png

Though it may be killing my 570 :s

NBtoaster

At 15fps :p

I'm not really playing it, just wandering around. Waiting for the EE before I make progress and then I'll use a more reasonable setting.

Already did two playthroughs back when it was released, so I don't know if I'll revisit it. I know it's a free addition and all, but I would be surprised if the new content was worth visiting purely on its own by loading up an old save in certain spots. I had a similar problem with ME 2 DLC, just didn't feel they were worth it after you've already gone through it twice. Although I heard Overlord was pretty good so maybe I missed out.

I will be extremely eager to buy this for a buddy once it goes on sale again, I couldn't get him into the first Witcher, but I'll be damned if I let him ignore this one.

MBison

I haven't downloaded Witcher 2 off of GOG yet even though I purchased it awhile back. Are they going to put the EE straight up for download? Cause I really am not excited about downloading the 10-12 gigs of current Witcher 2 and then another 11+ or whatever for the EE. Anyone have an clue?

2AdEPT

Sorry for my slightly off topic post but the witcher thread is receiving no traffic so I will repost here:

So I tried buying this (first witcher EE) on steam for my first steam experience but I might have bombed.....get the key error at first and support is slow to reply......after searching the error, I must say I am likley out of luck eitherbecause my new laptop is windows 7 not vista, or they just don't have enough keys......either way pissed at steam and not liking it one bit so far.....anyone confirm that these issues are pretty much unrectifiable? Is there are a way to just use XP or vista temporarily or can I never play witcher on a new computer withou reverting the OS?

edit: now the key works but it says my system does not meet the demand which is gorky as I have already played halfway through TW2! Does anyone know if you can play TW1 on windows 7? 3 days and no reply from steam support!

I replayed through the entire game on 7 without a problem, don't have the steam version though, I'm still on the physical UK version I imported back in '07

scitek

So, how many people know that the number 2 for Ubersampling is just how many x you want? Put a 3 there and watch the framerate cut in half again. Looks nice, though!

witcher2.exe_2012-04-1gklg.png

ok, I predownloaded the EE patch. now what? I wait until the 17th to download the rest of those files and only then can I play the EE edition?

ced

Damnit PC nerds, you've had your time and threads already, it's the lesser consolites time to shine! All this settings talk...

Salaadin

ok, I predownloaded the EE patch. now what? I wait until the 17th to download the rest of those files and only then can I play the EE edition?

Im not sure how theyre actually handling it because we downloaded the EE patch to a separate directory from the main game. Im assuming theres going to be an installer of some sort released on the 17th that we will point to that directory and then it will patch everything.

Damnit PC nerds, you've had your time and threads already, it's the lesser consolites time to shine! All this settings talk...

Bow to the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

I'm actually double dipping on this on 360 too. Can't support CD Projekt enough.

Yeah, you'll download a small piece on Tuesday and be good to go. Pretty sure the site said to make sure you don't move your download or something.

EDIT: Yep. Step 3:

VGdNc.jpg

thanks I guess I'll just wait for steam to reply......day four today!

Can you post a picture of the error you're getting?

Witcher 1 can be just about the biggest pain in the ass ever as far as bugs go. When I first bought it on Steam, I had two computers, both of which wouldn't play it. I can't remember the first error I would get, but then once I upgraded to the newest patch (making it the enhanced edition) the conversations would fuck up and you'd get a frozen picture while the audio kept going. I bitched enough to get Steam to let me "return" it (for credit), which they do not like doing.

Couple years later I got a retail copy and a different machine, and it worked perfectly from the get go on Windows 7.

Bow before Zod.

I'm actually double dipping on this on 360 too. Can't support CD Projekt enough.

Banned meme, in case you're wondering.

Almost 100% sure that one of the media screens in the OP is mine. If so, awesomesauce.

OP image:
2fa7b12da9ff6e46065cf4d65598deb3c5c45913.png

Mine, which I took a while ago:
iMItniq2JN3kn.png

I was just scrolling through the quite lovely OP and spotted that image and thought that is looked familiar.

Cannot wait for the EE to release, so stoked.

Salaadin

Pretty good and stable so far. Only graphical problems I've noticed are minor screen tearing in one cutscene.

I'm not allowed to talk about it much yet, so I'm sorry if my answers seem uninformative!

Thats great. Im so excited for the 360 players.

Its strange how Im as excited for TW2EE as I am for any major release this year. I cant wait to play though it again.

Skilletor

Its strange how Im as excited for TW2EE as I am for any major release this year. I cant wait to play though it again.

The game IS a major release. People just don't realize it yet.

I can't wait to start over.

There has just been jack shit worth playing lately, which helps raise the hype levels even though it will be my second time through. After that, Diablo 3...

Top Bottom