• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

screenshot%20tw1%20error%20on%20loading.gif

sorry all the instructions helped but I couldn't figure out how to embedd the gif here in the tags.

my specs are i7 2670QM, nvidia 1G GT525M6 gb memory, 500gb hard drive

i have not tried doing any xp compatibility stuff yet.

Alright, make sure your nvidia drivers are up to date. Supposedly that should fix the problem. If it doesn't, you need to go into your nvidia control panel and follow these instructions:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
2. Select: Advanced View
3. Navigate to: Manage 3D Settings
4. Select tab entitled: Program Settings
5. Use the "Add" button to find and add the witcher.exe file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition\System\witcher.exe)
6. Select the option "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"
7. Click on "Apply"
8. Exit the NVIDIA Control Panel

Let me know if it works.

dreamfall

Ugh, so I just got an email from Bestbuy telling me my Dark Edition preorder couldn't be fulfilled. I seriously ordered this a month and a week ago. What gives?! I doubt any other stores will carry it if you hadn't pre-ordered it. Never again...

Ugh, so I just got an email from Bestbuy telling me my Dark Edition preorder couldn't be fulfilled. I seriously ordered this a month and a week ago. What gives?! I doubt any other stores will carry it if you hadn't pre-ordered it. Never again...

Damn, that sucks, sorry to hear that. I pre-ordered my Dark Edition from Best Buy as well. As soon as I saw your post I immediately went to check my e-mail and order on their site and fortunately, nothing indicating that my order wasn't fulfilled. I hope you can secure a copy.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
What version of The Witcher 2 do you have? I think this preload is for Retail and GOG only.
Is The Witcher 2 all up to date? Info on the various patches can be found here:
http://en.thewitcher.com/patch2/
Maybe it requires version 2.0?

Other than that, I dont know. Email CDPR and hopefully they have some answers for you:
http://en.thewitcher.com/support/

I have the retail Witcher 2 and it's up-to-date :/ Yeah I guess I'm gonna do a reinstall because the launcher has stopped working. Game works fine though. Just gotta save my savefiles.

2AdEPT

Alright, make sure your nvidia drivers are up to date. Supposedly that should fix the problem. If it doesn't, you need to go into your nvidia control panel and follow these instructions:

Let me know if it works.

wow thanks for this!!!!! I will try it right away! Steam needs to have you on staff if you are not already!!

edit: I tried the add file business first as this laptop is relatively new but will try the driver updaes now because adding the exe file adn making it high perf. did not help. One note though....I noticed the steam exe and only one other exe whihc was one with the witcher wolf icon....but it did not say witcher it said tony hawk american wasteland (launcher) exe. Would they use the same launcher for a different game despite having the witcher sysmbol on the exe?

wow thanks for this!!!!! I will try it right away! Steam needs to have you on staff if you are not already!!

edit: I tried the add file business first as this laptop is relatively new but will try the driver updaes now because adding the exe file adn making it high perf. did not help. One note though....I noticed the steam exe and only one other exe whihc was one with the witcher wolf icon....but it did not say witcher it said tony hawk american wasteland (launcher) exe. Would they use the same launcher for a different game despite having the witcher sysmbol on the exe?

It will be called witcher.exe with the wolf icon. Make sure you're in the system folder, not the root folder (will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition\System) if you're in a folder with launcher.exe, you are in the wrong spot.

You should also add -dontForceMinReqs to the launch options in steam. That should 100% at least get the game booting, but your videos options may be locked if you haven't done the first step correctly. Right click on the game in steam and click properties.

f849ad50af522607bcfc3f80f833da873bf08f11.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well on the plus side the Enhanced Edition DL is going at almost 3mbps and I should have it down maybe tonight. It's 10.27GB though. Is this like a total re-write of the game? It's pretty extensive if I have to DL the whole game and then some. No matter. I'm hyped and will start a new game when the rest of the patch is up on the 17th.

sflufan

Banned
Well on the plus side the Enhanced Edition DL is going at almost 3mbps and I should have it down maybe tonight. It's 10.27GB though. Is this like a total re-write of the game? It's pretty extensive if I have to DL the whole game and then some. No matter. I'm hyped and will start a new game when the rest of the patch is up on the 17th.

Yeah, it pretty much is a complete overhaul of the game.

I really hope you'll be able to invert both camera controls, I've been itching to play this since the PC GAF hype way back when.

Kingdoms of Amalur was instant purchase to me originally, but when I found out I couldn't invert the camera properly I didn't even bother with it. Sounds silly to some but I just can't play a game without it. :(

hlhbk

Wow is there any way to get this download to go faster? For the first 4 GB the preload was right around a meg a second, and now I am down to 500 K a second and I know its not my connection.

I left the pre-patch program running this morning on my computer at home. After I came home from work, the program had closed. Is that normal behavior? The files seemed to be in the right folder. 11.9 Gigs - does that sound right to anyone?

OMFG I paid for the Dark Edition in full exactly 2 MONTHS prior, only to have Best Buy cancel on me. First time buying from Best Buy and NEVER again.

I left the pre-patch program running this morning on my computer at home. After I came home from work, the program had closed. Is that normal behavior? The files seemed to be in the right folder. 11.9 Gigs - does that sound right to anyone?

Yep that's right. It closes when it is finished. 11.9 gigs sounds like you also downloaded the extra voice over files.

2AdEPT

It will be called witcher.exe with the wolf icon. Make sure you're in the system folder, not the root folder (will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\the witcher enhanced edition\System) if you're in a folder with launcher.exe, you are in the wrong spot.

You should also add -dontForceMinReqs to the launch options in steam. That should 100% at least get the game booting, but your videos options may be locked if you haven't done the first step correctly. Right click on the game in steam and click properties.

f849ad50af522607bcfc3f80f833da873bf08f11.jpg

hey thanks so much for the help.....updating the drivers seemed to work. I made it part way through the tutorial before the diologue box pops back and says witcher will close as there were problems." I was never prompted for teh key despite me being reminded to cop to clipboard and later to enter the code when prompted...maybe I missed anopportunit to enter it and it booted me?

Anyway, I will continue ot ensure these settings are going....on witcher 2 the autodetect settings put me at low, whereas the witcher default settings were all medium so I just went with them....actually looked pretty good, even better than tw2 in some parts.

your red arrows make it easy to see what to do,

thanks again!!!

dreamfall

OMFG I paid for the Dark Edition in full exactly 2 MONTHS prior, only to have Best Buy cancel on me. First time buying from Best Buy and NEVER again.

Commiserating. I called up their number, to no avail. It'll be hunting time come Tuesday, and that's no fun. Regardless, so excited for the game's release.

conan60

Neo Member
call me crazy, but I fired up the Witcher 2 this morning and the new tutorial level is there, the arena mode is there, all new options are there. I thought this didnt release til the 17th? What gives? Not that im complaining.

Can't wait to play this!!! 360

I really feel bad for you BestBuy people getting fucked.. It only takes one time and you will never deal with them again.

Welcome to the fold.

conan60

Neo Member
I thought it was the new stuff, I didnt think it would be released until the 17th like the 360 version but man, glad I was wrong! Soooooooooo much better than before

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought it was the new stuff, I didnt think it would be released until the 17th like the 360 version but man, glad I was wrong! Soooooooooo much better than before

There's still new stuff in the 17th patch, so I'd hold off a playthrough until then.

I still haven't found an answer to this issue, and it's a seriously annoying one. Will they ever fix the X360 controller support so that you don't have to pick up fucking everything when you push the loot button? It's an insanely stupid thing to have left out the ability to choose whatever you want to pick up yourself, in an RPG, and especially insane that this hasn't been fixed already. The game is already designed like a console game with the gameplay and interface changes, so I hope they fix it soon.

What the hell is the point with supporting an X360 controller, when the game gets crippled like that with it? I want to play this game again, from my couch this time, but I can't because I need to use the mouse/keyboard if I want to pick up stuff. It's a pretty damn crucial function in an rpg.

I have to agree with this. While 360 pad support is great and works pretty well, there are still some niggling functions. Picking up EVERYTHING when you loot is one and the lack of a proper inventory mode when using a controller is two. Still a great game, I'm in fact buying again on Xbox to show support and am pleased to see so many people doing that as well, but I wish they would at least give us pc players the option of the 360 pad improvements for the pc.

bengraven

eBook version of Blood of Elves seems to be on sale everywhere, even iBooks.

There was a thread on the Witcher forums a while back where a bunch of fans were working together to translate a bunch of the books, Sword of Destiny included. Im not sure what gafs policy is on posting links to download fan translated books, though. Ill PM one and find out.

Yeah, it really sucks that the books aren't completely translated. I guess they weren't selling as well as they hoped, but the writer who had been translating was doing a fucking great job. I wonder if the issue was with her.

Regardless, I will say I only got 1/3 of the way through Blood of the Elves. I LOVED the Last Wish, but the first part of Blood (at least as far as I got, maybe longer) was one long conversation. I thought maybe Ayn Rand had wrote it, it was so damn long.

Also, how are the translations?

Regardless, I will say I only got 1/3 of the way through Blood of the Elves. I LOVED the Last Wish, but the first part of Blood (at least as far as I got, maybe longer) was one long conversation. I thought maybe Ayn Rand had wrote it, it was so damn long.
Yeah, Blood of Elves is very much a set up book for the rest of the series with a lot of spoken exposition. You'd probably like Sword of Destiny though, since it's another short story collection.
Also, how are the translations?
Occasional typo or very rare word that doesn't seem right but nothing major that detracts from the story. Other then that they're very well done. Especially the ones after Blood of Elves. Sword of Destiny is a bit rougher because some of the short story titles didn't translate very gracefully to English. Plus whoever translated the first story left Dandilion's Polish name. Still a good book overall, and as I mentioned before, much more in the vein of The Last Wish.

I know that this isnt the right thread for this, but Witcher 2 is making seriously consider upgrading my old 2007 Xbox 260 to one of the new ones.

Would you guys say that a 4gig models is alright if Im not planning on downloading any XBL arcade games/movies/demos?

For reference, I do most of my gaming on PS3 (which happens to be an 8 gig model). My old 2007 360 is a 4gig too. The only thing Id probably be doing with it would be installing game discs to run smoother.

And thanks for the advice in advance. :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I know that this isnt the right thread for this, but Witcher 2 is making seriously consider upgrading my old 2007 Xbox 260 to one of the new ones.

Would you guys say that a 4gig models is alright if Im not planning on downloading any XBL arcade games/movies/demos?

For reference, I do most of my gaming on PS3 (which happens to be an 8 gig model). My old 2007 360 is a 4gig too. The only thing Id probably be doing with it would be installing game discs to run smoother.

We don't know yet how big of a difference it makes, but CDPR are recommending that 360 dudes install the game. 4gigs won't be nearly enough, since the install is 15gigs between both discs. 4gigs isn't enough for almost any retail game. You can use USB memory sticks though, but I don't think the 360 supports anything above 16gigs...which might be cutting it too close, you could only install one disc at a time.

Fjordson

Yeah, not being able to install is tough. Personally noticed with so many games lately that installing makes a noticeable difference as far as load times, texture pop-in, etc. And with CDPR actually recommending it, I imagine it'll help a lot.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So 250 gig then?

Wonder how I managed with my 8 gig PS3 for so long then. Well this does make a difference then.

I think it would be worth it in the long run. I can't imagine being stuck with 4 or 8 gigs these days, it was hard enough being stuck with a 20 gig 360 a few years back.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If i am in middle of playing this game and i update it, will i have to start a new game?

They haven't confirmed or denied that saves will transfer to the EE. I would assume yes, since they haven't said otherwise, but they are overhauling a lot of stuff so it's not guaranteed. I'm definitely holding off until the patch.

Elsolar

Not that I'm not thankful for this huge, free content update, but I wish there was more of an emphasis on resolving technical issues on the PC side of things. Off the top of my head, there's the lack of MSAA, ugly shadows, horrendous input lag when under 60Hz, and weird streaming glitches that seem to rear their head more than is normal. Sure, the game's already beautiful, but it's issues like this that keep it from being perfect.

Moaradin

Yea, I REALLY wish they fixed those shadows. It's not too noticeable in screenshots but once you start playing it, you can't hide from the ugly dithered shadows.

Xyber

Yea, I REALLY wish they fixed those shadows. It's not too noticeable in screenshots but once you start playing it, you can't hide from the ugly dithered shadows.

First time I played it and got to Flotsam and really started looking at the shadows I thought something was wrong with my game. I don't understand how you can make a game that looks so good and have such crappy shadows.

Top Bottom