• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Salaadin

The game IS a major release. People just don't realize it yet.

I can't wait to start over.

Me either. Im trying to decide which path to take.
I wonder if any of the new content has the potential to affect TW3 when it comes time to save import. Maybe I should do my ideal playthrough first and then go back and do the other stuff.

There has just been jack shit worth playing lately, which helps raise the hype levels even though it will be my second time through. After that, Diablo 3...

Diablo 3 is a maybe for me. Max Payne 3 is a must. After that, theres not much else Im looking at unless The Last Guardian miraculously releases this year.

radionerd

Neo Member
I seem to remember reading the camera was going to get some work for those of us playing with 360 pads. I was wishing it would frame the action and I could adjust from there. Is that true or am I on acid?

Yeah, that hospital in the forest and that cave where the woman lost something (it's been a while)...both are killing me instantly. Those are my two main side quests to do. I just gave up.

I even cheated and got that "god mode" mod that gives you a 600 second quen that ups your regen rate to astronomical settings and I was STILL getting killed in two hits in the hospital. That and some issues in the day or two post release where Flotsam was kicking my videocard's ass and I just gave up.

A few months ago I tried again and found my issues with Flotsam had been fixed by a patch, but not the hospital. First death and I said "Oh fuck you Witcher 2".

Witcher 1 still has one of the best plots of the last decade and the music was the best since Diablo 2.

Graphics aren't that horrible - still better than most of the stuff I've seen.

Can Witcher 1 be played with the 360 controller? I tried with the mouse and keybd, just had a hard time with the swordplay.

R&R

Preordered from Amazon...hype = rising. And only 31,99£, WTF, thats almost bomba price...and before it is even released!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Almost 100% sure that one of the media screens in the OP is mine. If so, awesomesauce.

I was just scrolling through the quite lovely OP and spotted that image and thought that is looked familiar.

Cannot wait for the EE to release, so stoked.

Lol now that you say that I did recognize two of my own screens in the OP :D.

Also, let me get this straight :

- I'll redeem my TW2 cd-key I have on GoG in a couple of days
- I'll then be able to download TW2 EE from GoG?

Salaadin

Lol now that you say that I did recognize two of my own screens in the OP :D.

Also, let me get this straight :

- I'll redeem my TW2 cd-key I have on GoG in a couple of days
- I'll then be able to download TW2 EE from GoG?

Yes. Not sure when it goes live

Kayhan

Bow to the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race.

I'm actually double dipping on this on 360 too. Can't support CD Projekt enough.

There aren't many left to bow to. BoobPhysics101 gone, Dennis gone....

I hope Hazaro is still around for when I need to buy a new PC!

Salaadin

BoobPhysics and Dennis are gone? What happened?

You probably already know this but the gaf I need a new PC thread is awesome. Those guys were great when I built and have been great whenever I ask a aquestion. Its one of my favorite gaf threads.

I left my computer at home downloading the patch. I wonder why CD Projekt didn't use the GOG downloader to patch the game. At least you can pause the progress on that one.

slight thread derail

You mean they are banned?

larry-david-faint.gif

Was Dennis singing the praises for TWII (Two Worlds) and Risen 2?

mjc

I'm trying to decide if I want to download the first game off Steam for Mac or if I should just watch the catchup story video on youtube. Hmmmm.

Derrick01

Banned
Why yes. Mmmmhmmm

Loved that quest.

Guys, DO NOT PASS UP THE SIDE QUESTS. They are not your traditional filler content.

I agree don't pass them up, but some of them are filler. The few monster-related quests that are in the game can be defined as filler, as they're just traditional kill collect and turn in quests. But it can still be decent fun doing them.

Kyaw

I agree don't pass them up, but some of them are filler. The few monster-related quests that are in the game can be defined as filler, as they're just traditional kill collect and turn in quests. But it can still be decent fun doing them.

True but even then they're fun because you don't really know what to do to get rid of them (permanently) at first.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
True but even then they're fun because you don't really know what to do to get rid of them (permanently) at first.

That and, well, its what Witchers are supposed to be doing first and foremost. Hunt and kill monsters.

Salaadin

I actually wish that the game had more mindless monster slaying quests.

The side quests are very good in this, though. Theres a certain one in Act 1 that I particularly liked a lot.

Derrick01

Banned
I actually wish that the game had more mindless monster slaying quests.

The side quests are very good in this, though. Theres a certain one in Act 1 that I particularly liked a lot.

I agree and I think I remember complaining about that at first too, that there weren't as many kill quests as in Witcher 1. I felt like I was actually doing my job in that game by killing vampires and other creatures.

abunai

I agree and I think I remember complaining about that at first too, that there weren't as many kill quests as in Witcher 1. I felt like I was actually doing my job in that game by killing vampires and other creatures.

Yeah, I'm with you. Sort of like Geralt forgot he was a Witcher. Never thought I'd be asking for mindless monster hunting quests but in the context of The Witcher, I enjoyed them. I really enjoyed act 1 in the first game, with the dungeons underneath the corn fields or whatever they were. The story quests and witcher quests tied nicely together.

I'm jealous of all of you playing TW2:EE in a week. I have exams and a dead pc, so I have to wait until May 17th. Guess there are worse things, and I'll be replaying the game one year after I first did.

MBison

I've asked this a few times and no one seems to know or respond. I have ourchased TW2 from GoG but haven't downloaded. Can I just wait until 17th and the EE will be available for download? I'd rather no download 11 gigs twice :) anyone have an idea?

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I still haven't found an answer to this issue, and it's a seriously annoying one. Will they ever fix the X360 controller support so that you don't have to pick up fucking everything when you push the loot button? It's an insanely stupid thing to have left out the ability to choose whatever you want to pick up yourself, in an RPG, and especially insane that this hasn't been fixed already. The game is already designed like a console game with the gameplay and interface changes, so I hope they fix it soon.

What the hell is the point with supporting an X360 controller, when the game gets crippled like that with it? I want to play this game again, from my couch this time, but I can't because I need to use the mouse/keyboard if I want to pick up stuff. It's a pretty damn crucial function in an rpg.

Salaadin

I've asked this a few times and no one seems to know or respond. I have ourchased TW2 from GoG but haven't downloaded. Can I just wait until 17th and the EE will be available for download? I'd rather no download 11 gigs twice :) anyone have an idea?

Might want to email GOG about that.
http://www.gog.com/en/support/contact

If I had to guess, Id say that the old version of TW2 will be replaced with the EE on the 17th but I dont know for sure.

2AdEPT

Can you post a picture of the error you're getting?

Witcher 1 can be just about the biggest pain in the ass ever as far as bugs go. When I first bought it on Steam, I had two computers, both of which wouldn't play it. I can't remember the first error I would get, but then once I upgraded to the newest patch (making it the enhanced edition) the conversations would fuck up and you'd get a frozen picture while the audio kept going. I bitched enough to get Steam to let me "return" it (for credit), which they do not like doing.

Couple years later I got a retail copy and a different machine, and it worked perfectly from the get go on Windows 7.

thanks for your reply hero....I don't know how to screen capture on this new machine and the help didn't have much on that either...but it is a very basic windows dialogue box that basically says, "Warning: your system does not meet minimum requirements." As I explained I am already playing witcher 2 on a brand new laptop that although does not have top everythign, it meets the minimum standrads by qite a bit in my estimation, adn am very impressed with the quality despite minor freezes etc. By far the best graphics I have ever experienced and second best combat realism to the souls games......but when I close the dialogue box while loading TW1....nothing. I am starting to clue in that perhaps CDPR and STEAM are somehwat at odds and CDPR prefers GOG or something? I realize the game is only 9.99 but this is day four now and steam has not responded to my issue by e-mail....if they don't like helping people get the product they are advertising how cna they keep the market cornered? It won't work for long...the only reason I wanted to try steam at all was the press and click convenience ...once this dissolves I would rather just hop in the car and pick up a copy that works or order online and wait for a copy...special delivery would have had a real copy here by now.off to check out the GOG website!!!

Salaadin

Sorry for my slightly off topic post but the witcher thread is receiving no traffic so I will repost here:

So I tried buying this (first witcher EE) on steam for my first steam experience but I might have bombed.....get the key error at first and support is slow to reply......after searching the error, I must say I am likley out of luck eitherbecause my new laptop is windows 7 not vista, or they just don't have enough keys......either way pissed at steam and not liking it one bit so far.....anyone confirm that these issues are pretty much unrectifiable? Is there are a way to just use XP or vista temporarily or can I never play witcher on a new computer withou reverting the OS?

edit: now the key works but it says my system does not meet the demand which is gorky as I have already played halfway through TW2! Does anyone know if you can play TW1 on windows 7? 3 days and no reply from steam support!

I played The Witcher 1 twice on Windows 7 so that shouldnt be the problem

thanks for your reply hero....I don't know how to screen capture on this new machine and the help didn't have much on that either...but it is a very basic windows dialogue box that basically says, "Warning: your system does not meet minimum requirements." As I explained I am already playing witcher 2 on a brand new laptop that although does not have top everythign, it meets the minimum standrads by qite a bit in my estimation, adn am very impressed with the quality despite minor freezes etc. By far the best graphics I have ever experienced and second best combat realism to the souls games......but when I close the dialogue box while loading TW1....nothing. I am starting to clue in that perhaps CDPR and STEAM are somehwat at odds and CDPR prefers GOG or something? I realize the game is only 9.99 but this is day four now and steam has not responded to my issue by e-mail....if they don't like helping people get the product they are advertising how cna they keep the market cornered? It won't work for long...the only reason I wanted to try steam at all was the press and click convenience ...once this dissolves I would rather just hop in the car and pick up a copy that works or order online and wait for a copy...special delivery would have had a real copy here by now.off to check out the GOG website!!!

Steam CS takes a while. It took me 5 days to hear from them regarding an issue I was having and then they completely disregarded everything I said and fed me some basic copy/pasted response.

Would you mind posting your laptop specs or model number so others can see and compare?

GOG and CDPR are owned by the same parent company. They definitely prefer GOG over Steam since it makes them more money but I dont think theyre at odds with Steam.

2AdEPT

thanks for your reply hero.......special delivery would have had a real copy here by now.off to check out the GOG website!!!

Wow. I thought that maybe steam would be better owing to the availability of more games, but I should have supported gog off the get go as I don't play many oohter games besides rpg's and they seem to have the ones I want anyway...fallout series etc.

Shoud have started out on GOG and asked you guys first beofre impulse clicking!!!!!!!

Final question. I have a real job and can afford to lose the 9.99 on steam. SHould I just go ahead and order from GOG instead or will the same issues eventually arise? Does anyone have experience playing tw1 off GOG on windows 7?

Salaadin

There was a thread on the Witcher forums a while back where a bunch of fans were working together to translate a bunch of the books, Sword of Destiny included. Im not sure what gafs policy is on posting links to download fan translated books, though. Ill PM one and find out.

Print screen button, then paste it into pait to take a screenshot.

What CPU and GPU do you have?

Random shot, have you tried running in compatibility mode for XP or something?

Wow. I thought that maybe steam would be better owing to the availability of more games, but I should have supported gog off the get go as I don't play many oohter games besides rpg's and they seem to have the ones I want anyway...fallout series etc.

Shoud have started out on GOG and asked you guys first beofre impulse clicking!!!!!!!

Final question. I have a real job and can afford to lose the 9.99 on steam. SHould I just go ahead and order from GOG instead or will the same issues eventually arise? Does anyone have experience playing tw1 off GOG on windows 7?

If the steam version isn't working, I doubt the GOG one will either.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Can anyone help me with the EE downloader... It says I don't have Witcher 2 installed when I clearly have :(

Aeana

It didnt even seem to check for me. Just asked me for a directory to throw the files into.

It seems to always download to C:\Downloads by default, but then it selects which files to download based on your installed game version and stuff, after that.

MBison

I just downloaded TW1 off GOG on Win 7, played for a bit. Seemed fine.

Pyrrhus

When Roche isn't on all fours gobbling on the Empire's junk he's copping a serving from Geralt for being an irrational agro cunt.

Wha? How was he in league with the empire? The entire thing about his character is that he was
Foltest's man through and through
. If anyone was the bitch of the White Flame Dancing on His Enemies' Barrows, it was
that other guy, Letho.

2AdEPT

Print screen button, then paste it into pait to take a screenshot.

What CPU and GPU do you have?

Random shot, have you tried running in compatibility mode for XP or something?

If the steam version isn't working, I doubt the GOG one will either.

screenshot%20tw1%20error%20on%20loading.gif

sorry all the instructions helped but I couldn't figure out how to embedd the gif here in the tags.

my specs are i7 2670QM, nvidia 1G GT525M6 gb memory, 500gb hard drive

i have not tried doing any xp compatibility stuff yet.

Top Bottom