• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

pahamrick

AgentOtaku said:
Nvidia 460m ...I just rather have a locked framerate

I don't know how to do it for Nvidia cards. I know with ATI cards you can use RadeonPro and force Always On Double Vsync, which locks it at 30fps.

Salaadin

pahamrick said:
I don't know how to do it for Nvidia cards. I know with ATI cards you can use RadeonPro and force Always On Double Vsync, which locks it at 30fps.

I didnt know Radeon Pro did that. Vsync didnt work in RP for me last time I tried.

Kyaw

I can just uninstall the 3d drivers from Windows control panel without fucking anything, right?

I need to squeeze as much juice out of this GTX480 as i can. Hopefully CDPR releases a better optimisation patch soon.

Kyaw said:
I can just uninstall the 3d drivers from Windows control panel without fucking anything, right?

I need to squeeze as much juice out of this GTX480 as i can. Hopefully CDPR releases a better optimisation patch soon.
Yes, unless you want to use 3D vision I guess ;).

pahamrick

Salaadin said:
I didnt know Radeon Pro did that. Vsync didnt work in RP for me last time I tried.

I normally have to check Force Aggressive API detection to get it to work. The normal Vertical Sync control on the Visual Tab never works for me, but the one under the Tweaks hasn't failed me yet.

AgentOtaku said:
Wow, that's pretty cool!

Yeah, it was very useful for Assassin's Creed 1 and 2.

stabwound

Neo Member
Athlon X2 545 @ 3.45ghz / unlocked quad core
Radeon 4850 512MB

Here's my settings: http://imageshack.us/m/135/9919/settingso.png

Average 30fps at all times, and it rarely goes below 25. SSAO and AA are the only things that make a big difference in framerate to me- dropping it to probably 20-25fps average, which I find unenjoyable. Unfortunately, 512MB is not up to the task of AA on most games at 1920x1080. I also dislike the blur effects, so I disabled those. Setting larger textures also causes the game to stutter too often.

All in all, happy with the performance, though.

RedSwirl said:
So what's the consensus on ATI cards? Anyone tried it on a 6850 yet?

I have Crossfired 6870s but currently the game only supports single cards. Still, I am getting good performance.

I have it running at 1680x1050 with almost every other setting other than uber sampling maxed out. I have played through the prologue and half way through Chapter 1. I usually get around 50-60fps. It never drops below 30. Very solid performance. Looks amazing and has some fantastic gameplay scenarios.

I actually feel kind of sorry for all the people getting so worked up over performance. If they would play the damn game, they'd find it looks great and is fantastic and they'd probably quickly forget that they can't max out anisotropic filtering at max resolution or whatever feature they are currently obsessed over.

Find a config that runs solid for you. Turn off frame rate counters. Enjoy the game. It's great.

K.Jack said:
Ultra w/o UberSampling is actually very playable. The framerate jumps a lot though, from averaging 30fps, to at times dropping as low as 15fps, outdoors.

I prefer a smooth and consistent 30+, so I toned it down.

I have to mention, that I've overclocked my 6970M to 800/1000, to gain back the full performance of the 6850 (which defaults at 775/1000).

Download the Sapphire Trixx tool if you want higher clocks. The extra juice definitely helps for this game.

Nice, and by the time I am back in the UK and have my laptop the game should be further optimized. I will overclock I think. I will give it a go mostly ultra though...I played crysis and warhead on high custom settings (CCC Level 4) with my xps 1530.

Brandon F said:
It's threads like these that make me think tweaking for optimal performance is a thousand times more fun than the game ever is.

Also, the Invert gamepad tweak fix in the OP needs to be changed. The QWERTY .ini didn't fix it for me, instead one of the other .ini's made the invert fix on my end. (I think it's the user.ini, but I just switched them all)
Yes, its the user.ini value that needs to be changed for the pad to function with invereted axis. But i think its stayed on OP.

mileS

I can't decide if I want to keep bloom on or off. It has its positives and negatives like others have said but I still can't make my mind up. The readme makes it sound like it should be kept on "- Bloom: effect greatly improves quality of game graphics without placing excess demands on GPU."

One area I tested was inside one of the rooms of a castle or something with a bunch of torches on the wall. Bloom on made Geralt's skin glow to the point of it looking kind of silly. The colors on his model also looked a bit washed out compared to the bloom being off.

TheExodu5

Banned
mileS said:
I can't decide if I want to keep bloom on or off. It has its positives and negatives like others have said but I still can't make my mind up. The readme makes it sound like it should be kept on "- Bloom: effect greatly improves quality of game graphics without placing excess demands on GPU."

One area I tested was inside one of the rooms of a castle or something with a bunch of torches on the wall. Bloom on made Geralt's skin glow to the point of it looking kind of silly. The colors on his model also looked a bit washed out compared to the bloom being off.
It's all personal preference. I hate bloom as it washes out the beautiful colors and adds an unnatural glow to many surfaces.

mileS said:

Yeah, but man does it look good in the outside areas. Beautiful and makes the colors pop. I'm leaving it on as per "Director's Preference" kind of thing.

Zzoram

How will this run on an E8400 + HD4870 512MB at either 1650x1080 or 1280x800? Medium?

stabwound said:
Athlon X2 545 @ 3.45ghz / unlocked quad core
Radeon 4850 512MB

Here's my settings: http://imageshack.us/m/135/9919/settingso.png

Average 30fps at all times, and it rarely goes below 25. SSAO and AA are the only things that make a big difference in framerate to me- dropping it to probably 20-25fps average, which I find unenjoyable. Unfortunately, 512MB is not up to the task of AA on most games at 1920x1080. I also dislike the blur effects, so I disabled those. Setting larger textures also causes the game to stutter too often.

All in all, happy with the performance, though.

Hmm, so I could maybe run it at medium 1680x1050 smoothly with AA off, vsync on? Does this game do much better with a quadcore than a dualcore? I only have a dualcore.

Zzoram said:
How will this run on an E8400 + HD4870 512MB at either 1650x1080 or 1280x800? Medium/Low?

Medium/High. Your CPU will affect your performance quite a bit in this game. Note that the guy you quoted has a quad core.

Odd thing I've noticed about Witcher 2: Not sure if it's caching a lot of stuff to RAM on initial load, but it takes at least 10-15 seconds for it to start from when I hit 'Launch Game', and if I check my CPU utilization, it only hits Core #8 @90-100% by itself. I have an SSD; once in game it takes maybe a second or two to load a saved game.

Very strange.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TheExodu5 said:
I'd have to say you're either wrong, or you're running a very well overclocked GTX 580.

A stock GTX 570 or 6950 w/ unclocked shaders averages closer to 45fps in Crysis 2.
I havd a single GTX580 for a while and he is right. I could get 60fps constant on max settings at 1080p during the beta. I remember seeing dips into the 55 or so in the map Pier 17 but that got fixed with drivers that increased the performance.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm going to ask again, but is a 9800gt 1gb a decent video card for this game, or am i going to run it at low/medium textures and resolution at 20 fps?

My cpu is a AMD quadcore at 3.2ghz and i have 4gb of RAM, so i dont worry too much about these 2, its the video card that bothers me.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Bisnic said:
I'm going to ask again, but is a 9800gt 1gb a decent video card for this game, or am i going to run it at low/medium textures and resolution at 20 fps?

My cpu is a AMD quadcore at 3.2ghz and i have 4gb of RAM, so i dont worry too much about these 2, its the video card that bothers me.
I don't think so. It will have problems on low settings I believe. I think the minimum spec includes a GTX260.

Hixx

Zzoram said:
How will this run on an E8400 + HD4870 512MB at either 1650x1080 or 1280x800? Medium?

I have an e8400 + 5770 and at 1080p it is 15-25 in the first camp but ok everywhere else so far, still in the prologue however.

edit: on medium

WarMacheen

Truant said:
Do I just change the values using Inspector and press "Apply"?

Truant, I have the same setup as you, with the same problems. Did you try this and did it work?

EDIT: In reference to the GTX295

Bisnic said:

9800GT is just a rebranded 8800GT which is an almost 4 year old video card. You should be able to squeeze out low-med at 30 FPS but there'll probably be performance dips into the teens.

Is there any way to limit the number of autosave the game stores? I don't even know how to delete them in game. It is kind of a pain in the arse.

TheExodu5

Banned
godhandiscen said:
I havd a single GTX580 for a while and he is right. I could get 60fps constant on max settings at 1080p during the beta. I remember seeing dips into the 55 or so in the map Pier 17 but that got fixed with drivers that increased the performance.
Which is why I said it would run like that with a GTX 580...but not with a 570 or 6950. Performance is pretty similar in The Witcher 2, only not as consistent.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bisnic said:

It'll run okay. Set it to low, and increase the texture settings, since you have a 1gb buffer to work with.

Zzoram

EternalGamer said:
Is there any way to limit the number of autosave the game stores? I don't even know how to delete them in game. It is kind of a pain in the arse.

I hate it when games create more than 5 autosaves. The ideal game would start to overwrite the oldest autosave once it hits around 3-5 autosaves.

Zzoram said:
I hate it when games create more than 5 autosaves. The ideal game would start to overwrite the oldest autosave once it hits around 3-5 autosaves.

The bigger problem is, I can't even figure out a way to delete them without going in to the save game folder from the desktop. I have no idea how to delete them in-game.

Since I am playing on a SSD, this is beginning to be a problem because the saves are not small. They easily start to rack up. I am only in Chapter 1 and I already have around 300MB of saves, mostly auto-saves.

Hawk269

Zzoram said:

No kidding. Someone said they had over 2gigs worth of game saves already. It is kind of crazy that they did that. The other odd thing is you cant delete them from within the game, you have to go to the documents folder. It should not be that hard to implement a better auto game save where it over-rides the oldest one. Like what you suggest, have it have a que of 5 auto saves, when auto save 6 roles around it overides the oldest one. It would not also be hard to implement a way to delete them from within the game as well.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Q6600 @ 3.2ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon 4890 @ 900/1100. Running at 1920x1080.

Getting anywhere from low 20's to high 30's, depending on stuff on screen. Cut scenes typically in the mid to high 30's, with some 40's here and there.

This is on "High" default with nothing added or removed.

Bisnic

Any good video card you guys would suggest then for this game so that i could play it at high textures(not necessarily ultra, but would be nice) and around 30 FPS? At least one worth ~200$ if possible. Don't wanna go with some 300-400$ video card.

I don't have Witcher 2 yet, but once i'm done with the first game, maybe i will want to play it. Beside, i have a feeling my 9800gt is going to blow one day with the strange sounds it does sometimes.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
RedSwirl said:
So what's the consensus on ATI cards? Anyone tried it on a 6850 yet?
See post #750. My laptop has the 6850 2GB in it, so my settings there will be a good place to start.

Bisnic said:
Any good video card you guys would suggest then for this game so that i could play it at high textures(not necessarily ultra, but would be nice) and around 30 FPS? At least one worth ~200$ if possible. Don't wanna go with some 300-400$ video card.

I don't have Witcher 2 yet, but once i'm done with the first game, maybe i will want to play it. Beside, i have a feeling my 9800gt is going to blow one day with the strange sounds it does sometimes.
GTX 560 Ti

JWong

Banned
Bisnic said:

I bought my GTX560 Ti for around that $200 price, but it was like $75 dollars off sale.

Running the game on Ultra.

Edit: Omg I got beat by an edit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JWong said:
I bought my GTX560 Ti for around that $200 price, but it was like $75 dollars off sale.

wtf.... I bought my 560 for 365 >_<. I seriously wonder if it's not cheaper to just buy it across seas next time.

Corky

raphier

Banned
I currently have GTS250(rebranded 9800GT) and I want my next card to use about the same watt amount and similar heating. (I am extremly conserving person when it comes to electricity)

Any suggestions?

Corky

raphier said:
I currently have GTS250(rebranded 9800GT) and I want my next card to use about the same watt amount and similar heating. (I am extremly conserving person when it comes to electricity)

Any suggestions?

I believe the midrange ati cards are rather effective in that regards, perhaps a 6850?

K.Jack said:
See post #750. My laptop has the 6850 2GB in it, so my settings there will be a good place to start.

GTX 560 Ti

What results are you getting with AA turned on? If the game is as jaggy in motion as it looks in those screens, I think I will just bite the bullit. The lack of jaggies is one of the best aesthetic qualties I am seeing in screens for this game

Bisnic

JWong said:

Running the game on Ultra.

Edit: Omg I got beat by an edit.

What kind of power supply does this one requires? I have a 500W already. If i have to buy another one on top of a 250$ GPU... its going to get expensive =/

Deadly

Bisnic said:

I've got the 512MB version of the card and the game runs fine. When you click recommended settings it applies medium but I disabled/lowered some stuff and enabled some others and the game runs fine. I haven't had any major slowdowns so far.

I was wondering if my computer can run this game, can anyone help me ?

Intel I7 930 2.80GHz
12 GB RAM
GTX 570
Windows 7 64 bit

So those are my specs, thank you :) I really can't wait....

ArbiterMajor said:
I was wondering if my computer can run this game, can anyone help me ?

Intel I7 930 2.80GHz
12 GB RAM
GTX 570
Windows 7 64 bit

So those are my specs, thank you :) I really can't wait....

yes, on Ultra sans Uber.

AMD hotfix drivers on the way for single and crossfire Radeons!

From Twitter:

CatalystCreator Andrew D
No ETA yet on Witcher 2 hotfix; trust me I'll let everyone ASAP (but I'm pushing hard to get it sooner than later)
3 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
Brink CF profile should be ready in next few days or so- will be supported in Catalyst 11.5a hotfix RC4 build (will let you know when ready)
14 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
We always try to get CF support the day a game releases, but sometime we don't see the final build of a title until it releases...
17 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
We're looking at Witcher 2 for single and CF - will release hotfix driver as soon as possible
19 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
Witcher 2 - CF profile - looks like a driver change is needed (can't do to much with just CAP) - will let you know more info when I have it

CF needs a new driver, probably Catalyst 11.6... but single card owners should hopefully get a big boost. I would expect the driver within the next 3 days.

Salaadin

BoobPhysics101 said:
AMD hotfix drivers on the way for single and crossfire Radeons!

From Twitter:

CF needs a new driver, probably Catalyst 11.6... but single card owners should hopefully get a big boost. I would expect the driver within the next 3 days.

AMD sometimes does 4-5 hotifxes a month so theres still a chance that this drops before June.
Good find, btw. Thanks.

Top Bottom