• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Minsc said:
I think a valid complaint is that some people are getting the exact same 20-40 fps on low as they are on high/ultra. The engine is not great for everyone. It doesn't seem to scale down very well at all for some people, and there's a few oddities with settings giving massive boosts that others gain next to nothing from, and memory/performance leaks people are reporting that go away with a restart of the game.

Yeah, I understand that. Which is the perils of PC gaming, not every engine is optimized for every rig, especially at launch. It very likely will drastically improve over time. But that is no reason for some of the hyperbole in this thread about the quality of the game.

mugwhump

I have lines running along the ground in a grid-like pattern, maybe every 4 feet or so. Looks like the ground is made up of large minecraft blocks, lol. Got everything on minimum, what do I change to get rid of it?

Specs:
CPU: dual-core i5 @ 2.53
lol
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
lol
RAM: 4 Gigabutts
Other shit: pretty meh

Actually there's probably a handful of things I can turn above minimum, better experiment.

Corky said:
This isn't a case of people wanting more from less, i.e expecting the game to be less taxing. Rather it is a case of people wanting their parts to be stressed accordingly, people with high end stuff aren't getting everything out of them

In certain games, like an RPG like this, I agree. In others framerate is essential.

Again I agree to a certain extent, do a blind test with some ( certain ) options adjusted and people will have to guess which is which.

Like I said, I understand people wanting to get the most out of their hardware. It is a complaint, but a relatively minor one in the larger scheme of things and probably something that will be addressed in time. In the meantime, all people need to do is optimize it according to what is ideal for them and play with lower settings and still enjoy a great looking game.

People get way too caught up in having a bunch of features maxed that will become invisible to them when they start playing the actual game.

K.Jack said:
I'm rocking a 6970M, which is a desktop 6850.

These settings are working very well for me:

I set Texture Memory Size to Very Large, because the 6970M comes with 2GB GDDR5.

Damn, makes me want to swap a 6970M into my G73.

EternalGamer said:
Still post there regularly, just checking in here for suggestions for getting my Crossfire Radeons to work.

Like I said, I get that people want to get the best performance, but when people start spouting vitriol solely on the principle that they can't max stuff out, that seems a little ridiculous to me.

I mean, you could run this game on low settings and it would still look better than the vast majority of the games these people probably play on a regular basis and it would still look better than the vast majority of games on consoles.

Yeah, I hear you. I find it funny that people are crying about running 'ubersampling' at ONLY 35 FPS, and getting 60+ constant with Ultra. It's one of the reasons buying SLI/Crossfire and spending $600-1000 for two videocards sucks: in 6-12 months you'll be able to buy one card for significantly less that has better feature set, better performance and less power draw. Best of all, far less issues with game scaling.

I've found the game to run pretty decently for how good it looks. I know that with drivers and game optimizations it'll run far better though.

Salacious Crumb

I'm getting 35-48FPS in the first camp area with these settings:

BVJxj.png

And this setup:

2500K @ 4.8
8GB RAM

Is that about right for my setup?

gdt

K.Jack said:
Notebook specs:

i7-2630QM
6970M
8GB DDR3 RAM

tw22.png

I set Texture Memory Size to Very Large, because the 6970M comes with 2GB GDDR5.

Screens w/ FRAPS counter:

I'm going to test out adding the MLAA, to see the performance hit.

Considering I"m playing at 720p, could I fiddle a bit to get similar performance (6770m)? Tempted to order this off Amazon right now (just got some credit from LA Noire, plus this game offers $10 credit), but wanna make sure I can play it nicely.

rabhw

pahamrick said:
Yeah, I started using the Dirt 2 profile when I noticed the improvement over the one I was using before. However, it wasn't until I got to a cinematic scene that I saw the flickering. Tried to ignore it at first, but it eventually got too annoying.

I'm back to the CompatAFR-1x1 profile and no more flickering, at least none that I can see. Depending on where I am the FPS can drop as low as 33 but I've yet to have it drop lower, no matter how many NPCs / enemies are on the screen. This is with everything enabled / high as it can go except for Ubersampling.

Can you elaborate on the "CompatAFR-1x1" profile and how to set it up? I don't have that in my listing for CFX profiles in RadeonPro. Googling brought up very few results, and the ones there suggested renaming the .exe for the game to CompatAFR-1x1.exe, but that obviously won't work with the Steam version of the game.

I've got the latest version of RadeonPro.

Hawk269

teiresias said:
So I just pulled the trigger on an EVGA GTX460 1GB Superclocked to SLI with my current Gigabyte GTX460. The Gigabyte is clocked like 3MHz lower than the EVGA, so my pair will clock at 760Mhz. I'd been wanting to quench my curiosity about trying SLI for a while, and the combo of my Amazon credit and the mail-in rebate (meaning I'll pay about $30 out of pocket at the end of the day) and this FREAKING GAME, made me pull the trigger.

Here's to hoping SLI issues get ironed out soon enough (though I won't really have time to jump into the meat of the game for another two weeks probably).

Bravo man. You will enjoy the benefits of SLI. For me it has been great, but yeah the only real issues with it at times are new games that come out not fully supporting it or they support it, but not very well. TW2 is a good example of it supporting it, but not very well at all...at least for right now. I am sure that soon, some SLI profile updates will make things alot better.

But welcome to the SLI club!

gdt5016 said:
Considering I"m playing at 720p, could I fiddle a bit to get similar performance (6770m)? Tempted to order this off Amazon right now (just got some credit from LA Noire, plus this game offers $10 credit), but wanna make sure I can play it nicely.

I have the following set up:

Intel i920 2.8GHZ overclocked to 3.0GHZ
2x Radeon 6870 (only one of which is currently working in-game)
6GB RAM
80GB SSD

I'm currently running the game around 50-60FPS with the following settings (occasional drops to around 30 during heavy combat):

1680x1050 Resolution
Texture Downscale: None
Texture Memory Size: Large
Shadow Quality: High
LOD Distance: Normal
Bloom: Enabled
Light Shafts: Enabled
Blur Effects Endables
Depth of Field- Gameplay: Disabled.
Vingnette: Enabled
Wet Surfaces: Enabled
SSAO: Enabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Cinematic Depth of Field: Endabled
Depth of Field- Cutscenes: Enabled
Dangling Object Limit: Disabled
Ubert Sampling: Diabled
Vertical Sync: Enabled
Decals: High Spec

Any suggestions?

KaYotiX

Banned
My laptop can run it on High and my desktop at Medium :p Time for an upgrade on my home PC i guess LOL!!

Even on Medium the game looks great :) So far im only an hour in but im enjoying it more than the first game.

K.Jack said:
Notebook specs:

i7-2630QM
6970M
8GB DDR3 RAM

tw22.png

Screens w/ FRAPS counter:

I'm going to test out adding the MLAA, to see the performance hit.

Very nice man, since I have the same set up. Still in screens, lack of AA is pretty noticible. I think I may have to enable it, even at lower frames. I have been playing mostly console gaming for the last years, so I dont really mind 30 fps average. Have you tried it on Ultra yet?

pahamrick

rabhw said:
Can you elaborate on the "CompatAFR-1x1" profile and how to set it up? I don't have that in my listing for CFX profiles in RadeonPro. Googling brought up very few results, and the ones there suggested renaming the .exe for the game to CompatAFR-1x1.exe, but that obviously won't work with the Steam version of the game.

I've got the latest version of RadeonPro.

Sure. Under the Tweaks tab of Radeon Pro, click on Manage Custom Profiles.

For Game Title put CompatAFR-1x1
And for Executable name put CompatAFR-1x1.exe

Then save it under CFX Compatibility.

Should have it in your profiles list now.

pahamrick said:
Sure. Under the Tweaks tab of Radeon Pro, click on Manage Custom Profiles.

For Game Title put CompatAFR-1x1
And for Executable name put CompatAFR-1x1.exe

Then save it under CFX Compatibility.

Should have it in your profiles list now.

Do you use this with Alternate Frame Rendering?

TheExodu5 said:
To anyone thinking of going SLI, these are the issues you sometimes have to deal with. Though, it's only the odd game that really needs a second GPU, unless you're running 1600p, so it's not an issues all that often, as you can just disable SLI for that particular game. Still, be prepared to have issues, and be prepared to sometimes need to Google custom profiles to get SLI working properly in that new game of yours.

Still, this is one of the very few games that will validate my SLI purchase. SLI means having my framerate locked at 60fps, which is a pretty huge plus for me.

That's odd...I wonder if it could be a hyper-threading issue? Try turning off hyper-threading in the BIOS and see if it has an impact.

Just a random thought.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what to say. Maybe the rendering path is simply inefficient given certain settings, which is causing the GPU to be underutilized. I'm not quite sure how GPU utilization is measured, and what can affect it.

it's probably turboboost going single- or dual-core only. try disabling core parking.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's threads like these that make me think tweaking for optimal performance is a thousand times more fun than the game ever is.

Also, the Invert gamepad tweak fix in the OP needs to be changed. The QWERTY .ini didn't fix it for me, instead one of the other .ini's made the invert fix on my end. (I think it's the user.ini, but I just switched them all)

pahamrick

EternalGamer said:
Do you use this with Alternate Frame Rendering?

No, driver default. The scaling kinda sucks with that profile (I think it's maybe 55% across both GPUs) but it has the benefits of no flicker and not having a single card with a jet engine going for it's fan.

For pure performance I'd stick with the Dirt 2 profile with AFR, if you can stand the flickering.

-Edit-

Take that back. Just tried the same area with the Dirt 2 / AFR profile and was getting the exact same FPS / activity on the GPUs. So, who knows. I'm sticking with the CompatAFR profile at least.

tweaking is awesome. i bench/tweak more than i play games these days. i have an obsession with mid-range laptops and using them to run demanding games (somehow).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Drinky Crow said:
tweaking is awesome. i bench/tweak more than i play games these days. i have an obsession with mid-range laptops and using them to run demanding games (somehow).

I put dozens of hours into Strike Commander on my old 486 Compaq. 90% of that time was writing unique DOS boot disks for autoexec's and .dats for optimal performance. I don't think I ever got past the third actual mission, but man did I make that game scream at the time.

pahamrick said:
No, driver default. The scaling kinda sucks with that profile (I think it's maybe 55% across both GPUs) but it has the benefits of no flicker and not having a single card with a jet engine going for it's fan.

For pure performance I'd stick with the Dirt 2 profile with AFR, if you can stand the flickering.

-Edit-

Take that back. Just tried the same area with the Dirt 2 / AFR profile and was getting the exact same FPS / activity on the GPUs. So, who knows. I'm sticking with the CompatAFR profile at least.

Ah, thanks. I had pretty solid performance with the default even though it was not using one of my cards. I think I stick with that until there is an official solution.

gdt

Oh well, I'm gonna buy the Amazon retail version as soon as my LA Noire credit comes through (just ordered it like an hour ago). GAF got me hyped. Haven't seen any specific info on how this will run on my laptop (6770 @720p), but I'll know soon, in any case.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not 100% sure about this, I only tested once through, but I think choosing a preset changes more settings than those that are available to change in the advanced settings screen. I had set the Low preset, then I changed some things to higher, including the LOD setting, and I noticed way too obvious LOD changes on pretty much everything, including roads that suddenly shifted and tweaked a few metres ahead of me, making a stroll through the town exremely jarring. After choosing the Ultra preset, then lowering the LOD and the other settings back to the exact same level as before, this doesn't happen anymore. Granted there are still obvious LOD changes, they never go completely away even if left to the max settings, but not to ALL the objects it happened to previously, including roads. It's much better and I can't notice a difference in performance.

Alextended said:
I'm not 100% sure about this, I only tested once through, but I think choosing a preset changes more settings than those that are available to change in the advanced settings screen. I had set the Low preset, then I changed some things to higher, including the LOD setting, and I noticed way too obvious LOD changes on pretty much everything, including roads that suddenly shifted and tweaked a few metres ahead of me, making a stroll through the town exremely jarring. After choosing the Ultra preset, then lowering the LOD and the other settings back to the exact same level as before, this doesn't happen anymore. Granted there are still obvious LOD changes, they never go completely away even if left to the max settings, but not to ALL the objects it happened to previously, including roads. It's much better and I can't notice a difference in performance.

Interesting if true. So maybe a lot of people would be better off choosing low or medium and then tweaking upward in the advanced menus.

SneakyStephan said:
Anyone with a 512MB vram card figure out which settings are bottlenecked by it yet?
Can you run max texture quality and settings with it?

No, I don't think so. The game uses up a LOT of VRAM due to textures.

TheExodu5

Banned
Brandon F said:
It's threads like these that make me think tweaking for optimal performance is a thousand times more fun than the game ever is.

Also, the Invert gamepad tweak fix in the OP needs to be changed. The QWERTY .ini didn't fix it for me, instead one of the other .ini's made the invert fix on my end. (I think it's the user.ini, but I just switched them all)

Heh, well I haven't beaten The Witcher 1 yet, and I want to play some L.A. Noire, so tweaking and testing it was all the fun I was going to allow myself with The Witcher 2. I'll probably start playing in a few weeks, after I beat the other two games.

Alexios

Alextended said:
Confirmed. Of course to what extent I don't know. LOD is the most noticable change. These screenshots are all with the exact same (and crappy, for my rig) settings in the advanced screen. LOD in particular is always set to "Normal". The first screenshot however was with the settings changed back after first choosing Ultra. The second screenshot is with the settings changed back to the same exact level, but after first choosing Low. The third screenshot is how close I had to go for the road LOD to be the same as in the first screenshot. Quite the difference and it made walking through town jarring in the latter case since the whole ground shifted LODs like that as you walked by.
http://i.picpar.com/b8ee6a7a15989abf733686ca5d5a1c9dd675760a.png
http://i.picpar.com/38f4aafaee34111524bbbc5fe046e4bdbf1ac2e1.png
http://i.picpar.com/20f28a6256101ea0b119a31ed0560f073b1b4f84.png

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
nelsonroyale said:
Very nice man, since I have the same set up. Still in screens, lack of AA is pretty noticible. I think I may have to enable it, even at lower frames. I have been playing mostly console gaming for the last years, so I dont really mind 30 fps average. Have you tried it on Ultra yet?
Ultra w/o UberSampling is actually very playable. The framerate jumps a lot though, from averaging 30fps, to at times dropping as low as 15fps, outdoors.

I prefer a smooth and consistent 30+, so I toned it down.

I have to mention, that I've overclocked my 6970M to 800/1000, to gain back the full performance of the 6850 (which defaults at 775/1000).

Download the Sapphire Trixx tool if you want higher clocks. The extra juice definitely helps for this game.

Lach

I really feel like I am doing something wrong. I have
Q9650 @3.00GHz
4GB RAM
GTX 580

The game is barely playable on medium settings. Outside it does well but as soon as I'm indoors the framerate drops to 2-5 fps. Inside the monestary was the worst. I have the latest beta drivers.

Alexios

TheExodu5 said:
You can notice the road geometry also changed in between those two shots.
Um, that's what I'm saying :p different level of detail for the road most prominently, in the third screen it has gone up to the first screen's detail level, I really did have to go that close for it to kick in.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:
Confirmed. Of course to what extent I don't know. LOD is the most noticable change. These screenshots are all with the exact same (and crappy, for my rig) settings in the advanced screen. LOD in particular is always set to "Normal". The first screenshot however was with the settings changed back after first choosing Ultra. The second screenshot is with the settings changed back to the same exact level, but after first choosing Low. The third screenshot is how close I had to go for the road LOD to be the same as in the first screenshot. Quite the difference and it made walking through town jarring in the latter case since the whole ground shifted LODs like that as you walked by.
http://i.picpar.com/b8ee6a7a15989abf733686ca5d5a1c9dd675760a.png
http://i.picpar.com/38f4aafaee34111524bbbc5fe046e4bdbf1ac2e1.png
http://i.picpar.com/20f28a6256101ea0b119a31ed0560f073b1b4f84.png

Interesting, I ended up choosing ultra and going in to make sure there was nothing I could raise beyond where that put me, I think LOD was one of the things I had manually changed from Normal to Far after picking ultra.

I wonder if picking ultra is actually setting it to Far, but it is showing up as normal by mistake?

Does picking ultra, setting it to low, saving, then putting it to normal do anything differently?

In other words I wonder if your Ultra shot is actually the same as the Far setting, and not normal like it says, while your Low > Normal shot is indeed Normal.

Edit: I mean it does seem a little weird the Ultra pre-set would use ubersampling, but not the max LOD setting.

Alexios

I tested, changed it to Ultra again, changed all the settings to the same as before, then changed the LOD settings to the lowest, then changed it back to normal (as in all the screens), and loaded that save and it was the same as the first screenshot. So, yeah, it seems the presets change things you can't change in the advanced tab. The road LOD in particular seems to be handled by something else entirely, since I first noticed it after having my settings altered from Low, and I changed LOD to Far and it didn't fix until I tried to go Ultra and tone down from there instead of go Low and tone up. Who knows what else hidden settings change with the presets... Unless LOD advanced doesn't even work?

Lach said:
I really feel like I am doing something wrong. I have
Q9650 @3.00GHz
4GB RAM
GTX 580

The game is barely playable on medium settings. Outside it does well but as soon as I'm indoors the framerate drops to 2-5 fps. Inside the monestary was the worst. I have the latest beta drivers.

Uninstall NVidia 3DVision drivers.

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:
I tested, changed it to Ultra again, changed all the settings to the same as before, then changed the LOD settings to the lowest, then changed it back to normal (as in all the screens), and loaded that save and it was the same as the first screenshot. So, yeah, it seems the presets change things you can't change in the advanced tab. The road LOD in particular seems to be handled by something else entirely, since I first noticed it after having my settings altered from Low, and I changed LOD to Far and it didn't fix until I tried to go Ultra and tone down from there instead of go Low and tone up. Who knows what else hidden settings change?

Well, that's a good little trick to know, I'll mention it in the tips. Although it's not unusual to have to bypass the built-in UI and edit the ini files directly to get the most advanced results (assuming there's more stuff in the inis beyond what is presented by the exe). There's entire tools to do this for Oblivion and probably Fallout 3 as well.

Hawk269

Durante said:
I think the only performance "problem" with the game is that they enabled "ubersampling" at ultra. They should have left it disabled by default -- some people just can't stand it if they cannot run a game at "max" settings, even if those settings are designed for future systems. The same thing happened with Crysis 1.

The thing is, many of us have rigs right now that are capable of running in Uber at 60fps, it's just driver/sli etc. issues from preventing it from happening. It is not a future type of thing, yes perhaps a 1 card future, but technically a 590 is one card. Uber should not be giving a rig with 2x580's and Sandy Bridge 2600k any issues at 1080p resoultions if the game had proper driver/sli profile etc. And by all the comments posted almost everywhere, we know that the engine for the game is not the most optomized code out there.

However, I do beleive when AMD/Nvidia and CDPR work on it for a bit that alot of the frustrations for everyone with performance will be improved. While I am one of those "cause the setting is there I want it and want it now", I am fine with Ultra and everything else maxed out. The game has an incredible replayability to it so perhaps by the time I am ready for run 2 all these things will be worked out.

Alexios

Unless LOD in the advanced settings doesn't even work? I can't say I noticed a difference when messing around with it, so perhaps that's why it only shows when changing the presets? Unless you've confirmed that setting does have a visual difference yourself, when starting from the same preset, which would confirm hidden settings.

knitoe

EternalGamer said:
Ah, thanks. I had pretty solid performance with the default even though it was not using one of my cards. I think I stick with that until there is an official solution.
Use MSI Afterburner and set it so you monitor both GPU load in game. Both of my cards are always in use without doing anything extra, like using RadeonPro & profile, but the load, changes depending on the area. For example, in the prologue, stepping out of the tent with Trish both cards are only ~50% GPU load. Later on, I am constantly see 90% load.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hawk269 said:
The thing is, many of us have rigs right now that are capable of running in Uber at 60fps, it's just driver/sli etc. issues from preventing it from happening. It is not a future type of thing, yes perhaps a 1 card future, but technically a 590 is one card. Uber should not be giving a rig with 2x580's and Sandy Bridge 2600k any issues at 1080p resoultions if the game had proper driver/sli profile etc. And by all the comments posted almost everywhere, we know that the engine for the game is not the most optomized code out there.

However, I do beleive when AMD/Nvidia and CDPR work on it for a bit that alot of the frustrations for everyone with performance will be improved. While I am one of those "cause the setting is there I want it and want it now", I am fine with Ultra and everything else maxed out. The game has an incredible replayability to it so perhaps by the time I am ready for run 2 all these things will be worked out.

Only quad-sli owners are capable of running Uber at 60fps. It's running the game at 3-4x the native resolution.

I don't think you understand just how demanding supersampling really is.

Minsc

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:
Only quad-sli owners are capable of running Uber at 60fps. It's running the game at 3-4x the native resolution.

I don't think you understand just how demanding supersampling really is.

You could cheat and use a 720p display I suppose, that'd save you a ton of GPU power when it's doubled versus 1080p or 1440p being doubled.

Alextended said:
Unless LOD in the advanced settings doesn't even work? I can't say I noticed a difference when messing around with it, so perhaps that's why it only shows when changing the presets? Unless you've confirmed that setting does have a visual difference yourself, when starting from the same preset.

Should be simple enough for me to confirm later, flipping between Far / Low LODs and seeing if I get any difference.

itxaka

Defeatist
Is there any way of removing the granular border shadows? IT gets on my nerves, specially when shadows get to geralt and I can see everything with those dots.

Also, Im playing on ultra with uber off and vsync off with a gtx460 1Gb OC. It goes around 40 fps stable. Anything that I can disable so it goes to 60fps stable? Im not good with the gibberish of AA, AF, SSAO, and all that :/

Wag

I have 3 unlocked 6950s in Tri-Fire config, anyone want to try and help me get the game working with my setup? Right now I'm using RadeonPro with the Dirt3 config/alternate rendering setup but it's only using 2 out of my 3 cards.

Lach

BoobPhysics101 said:
Uninstall NVidia 3DVision drivers.

Holy wow at that difference. Did not expect this. Thanks alot.
Ultra without ubersampling is almost playable. Little tweaking and I'm there.

gdt

Fuck it, the 5770/6770 get ~20 fps on very high/1080p according to the benchmarks. I'll lower that a bit, and I'm playing on 720p anyway. I want this game. UGH. I just need a 30 fps average dammit.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Damn why I cant get voices ! Also I noticed the characters dont move their lips :/

Gaf halp!

Bttw I use an integrated audio card , w7 64 bits

Top Bottom