• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Minsc

Gold Member
Alextended said:
Unless LOD in the advanced settings doesn't even work? I can't say I noticed a difference when messing around with it, so perhaps that's why it only shows when changing the presets? Unless you've confirmed that setting does have a visual difference yourself, when starting from the same preset, which would confirm hidden settings.

Seems LOD settings under advanced are broken, not seeing any difference between lowest and highest either. LOD might only work depending on what preset you pick.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn finally downloaded Witcher 2 and my PC is getting 45fps+ on all ultra settings minus ubersampling. <3 <3 PC

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Grrrr, you people and your good computers! Noticed something strange today while fiddling more with shit to maybe make the game enjoyable (30fps minimum). It skips between 40-80% CPU use randomly, so it seems on lowest settings I'm not CPU bound, unless the game is shit at utilizing both cores properly.

Oh well, we'll see what ATI's hotfix brings to the table! CPU's going out of the window eventually.

stabwound said:
Athlon X2 545 @ 3.45ghz / unlocked quad core
Radeon 4850 512MB

Here's my settings: http://imageshack.us/m/135/9919/settingso.png

Average 30fps at all times, and it rarely goes below 25. SSAO and AA are the only things that make a big difference in framerate to me- dropping it to probably 20-25fps average, which I find unenjoyable. Unfortunately, 512MB is not up to the task of AA on most games at 1920x1080. I also dislike the blur effects, so I disabled those. Setting larger textures also causes the game to stutter too often.

All in all, happy with the performance, though.

Crazy how much the cpu makes a difference. I have the same card and a 7850 BE dual core CPU and Im constantly hovering between 20 and 30 fps on the lowest of the low low settings, literally everything turned off.

ukas

CPU: i7-975 @ 3.33GHz
GPU: Radeon 5970 (Single)
Resolution: 1900x1200
Framerate: 40-50 fps

Ultra w/Uber off

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Minsc said:
Seems LOD settings under advanced are broken, not seeing any difference between lowest and highest either. LOD might only work depending on what preset you pick.
Nah, they aren't, I just tested. Find something with a lot of polygonal detail, like actual individual bricks or something, and you can notice the difference between Minimal and Far easy. It also does tree leaves and stuff. At least in the area I am now (first town still). So yeah, definitely nothing to do with the ground detail, that is only affected by presets.

Edit: the first screen is with Minimal, the second with Far, no preset change. You can notice loads of differences in detail. Not the ground/road however, which is already to the highest (I guess) since it's the hidden setting that is only affected by presets (alongside God knows what else, we really need a tweak guide or details from the developers).
http://i.picpar.com/6436bca1107a9225d03789ab138dc7324c3ae593.png
http://i.picpar.com/cd5da741297e9319445b81b8ab2fe53666662c5a.png

So, in short, LOD advanced changes do work, but there are extra tweaks, such as the ground/road LOD which are only affected by the preset changes, so people should start with a preset that suits them before tweaking further, as, no matter how much they tweak the advanced settings, it won't look the best it can if they start with the Low preset, or, for those with weaker machines, no matter what they turn down/off, it won't run as best as it can if they start with a higher than Low preset. That will do for now.

Varna

Overall I'm very happy with the performance. I got a little worried before release since it seemed like better systems were getting not so great frames. So far the worst drop I've had was during the raining forest sequence. 40FPS there. Not bad at all though. I averaged 56 for the entire prologue.

i5-760 @ 3.8-4, 580 GTX SC, 4GB Ram.
SSAO and uber off, everything else max. 1920x1080

EDIT: Only wish there was a way to turn of the shadow dithering and fix the few texture flickers I'm experiencing. I h

mr stroke

BoobPhysics101 said:
AMD hotfix drivers on the way for single and crossfire Radeons!

From Twitter:

CF needs a new driver, probably Catalyst 11.6... but single card owners should hopefully get a big boost. I would expect the driver within the next 3 days.

Fucking yes

Hurry please

Phenom II x4 965BE
GTX 580 running newest beta drivers recommended by CDProjekt
4GB DDR3

Getting 4-20 FPS at 1080p Ultra without ubersampling or SSAO. :\

wat wat in the butt.

asdad123

Hows this run with an AMD quad core 3.0GHz and a 768mb GTX 460? My brother is interested wants to play it on his Desktop, but I cant recommend him getting it if it wont run well.

Varna

TouchMyBox said:
Phenom II x4 965BE
4GB DDR3

wat wat in the butt.

No 3D Drivers installed? One of the suggested tips

n0n44m

TouchMyBox said:
Phenom II x4 965BE
4GB DDR3

wat wat in the butt.

wow that's low ... did you uninstall the 3d drivers yet? (go to remove software and uninstall the two Nvidia 3Dvision related entries, unless you chose not to install them during driver install obviously...)

what speed is your cpu running at?

n0n44m said:
wow that's low ... did you uninstall the 3d drivers yet? (go to remove software and uninstall the two Nvidia 3Dvision related entries, unless you chose not to install them during driver install obviously...)

what speed is your cpu running at?

Hmm. I shall try that, though it's bullshit that I won't be able to use my 3D Goggles until this gets patched. CPU running at 3.5 GHz.

n0n44m

TouchMyBox said:
Hmm. I shall try that, though it's bullshit that I won't be able to use my 3D Goggles until this gets patched. CPU running at 3.5 GHz.

are you using the 3D vision when getting 4-20 fps? 'cause then I can imagine the low fps :p

otherwise without 3D vision you should easily get around ~50 fps at least

n0n44m said:
are you using the 3D vision when getting 4-20 fps? 'cause then I can imagine the low fps :p

otherwise without 3D vision you should easily get around ~50 fps at least

Didn't have goggles mode activated, but uninstalling 3D drivers took me from 2 FPS in the temple scene to ~60fps.

Problem solved, I guess.

Minsc

Gold Member
TouchMyBox said:

I believe I read people on the latest drivers which don't have that problem, just try upgrading to those. There was a link to a thread earlier on nvnews or somewhere with people posting the newer drivers working properly anyway.

Minsc said:
I believe I read people on the latest drivers which don't have that problem, just try upgrading to those. There was a link to a thread earlier on nvnews or somewhere with people posting the newer drivers working properly anyway.

Yeah, I'm running 275.27 which in the release notes said improved 3D performance in TW2. :\

Is something wrong with my system?

C2Q Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz
4 GB RAM
6970 2GB (well, unlocked and overclocked 6950, but that shouldn't matter)
Catalyst 11.5
Windows 7 64-Bit

Settings: Uber w/o UberSampling

I'm getting like 25-30 fps in the camp at the beginning and it was never over 30 fps in the dragon fight scene. The only time the fps are around 60 is during the interrogation at the beginning.

Hawk269 said:
No kidding. Someone said they had over 2gigs worth of game saves already. It is kind of crazy that they did that. The other odd thing is you cant delete them from within the game, you have to go to the documents folder. It should not be that hard to implement a better auto game save where it over-rides the oldest one. Like what you suggest, have it have a que of 5 auto saves, when auto save 6 roles around it overides the oldest one. It would not also be hard to implement a way to delete them from within the game as well.

It's not the saves that are big. I'm looking in the folder right now and it's the fact that the game takes uncompressed .bmp screenshots to display in game. Each one is about 5Mb and I currently have 54 of them. It starts to add up.

brotkasten said:
Is something wrong with my system?

C2Q Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz
4 GB RAM
6970 2GB (well, unlocked and overclocked 6950, but that shouldn't matter)
Catalyst 11.5
Windows 7 64-Bit

Settings: Uber w/o UberSampling

I'm getting like 25-30 fps in the camp at the beginning and it was never over 30 fps in the dragon fight scene. The only time the fps are around 60 is during the interrogation at the beginning.

Turn off SSAO, and also make sure PowerPlay is set to Max Performance or disabled entirely in Catalyst Control Center. Make sure all drivers are up to date. Set your computer's power plan to 'High Performance' if possible.

krameriffic said:
It's not the saves that are big. I'm looking in the folder right now and it's the fact that the game takes uncompressed .bmp screenshots to display in game. Each one is about 5Mb and I currently have 54 of them. It starts to add up.

You sure? I just looked and the .bmp's are 600-900 kb each, and the save games are 2+ MB ranging up to 6 MB from the beginning of the game expanding to where I'm at now.

BoobPhysics101 said:
You sure? I just looked and the .bmp's are 600-900 kb each, and the save games are 2+ MB ranging up to 6 MB from the beginning of the game expanding to where I'm at now.

Right you are. I was mixing them up. My mistake.

krameriffic said:
Right you are. I was mixing them up. My mistake.

The BMP thing is dumb though... they could've done PNG and they'd have been 20% of the BMP's size. It's interesting how the game save files get bigger and bigger even just from Prologue to Chapter 1. 30-40 MB game saves by the end of the game maybe? Hah.

Also, fuck this game, it's making me want to upgrade the CPU and GPU on my G73, and I *just* got it. I could sell my 5870m and i7 720qm for a 6970m and i7 920 Exteme processor...

But spending fucking $500 on a laptop graphics card and $300 on a mobile CPU seems absurd when I could build a monster desktop for the same cost (of course I'd be able to subtract about $400 from the cost since I'd be selling my stock GPU + CPU...)

BoobPhysics101 said:
Like dogshit considering the 3D drivers installed make non-3D slow down to a crawl. Uninstall your 3D Vision drivers.

The fuck? So if I'm in the middle of a Crysis 2 playthrough (using 3D) I'd have to constantly switch drivers to play Witcher 2? Guess I'm glad I'm holding off on it. I still have the Witcher 1 to finish up anyway. Hopefully a fix comes around before then so that I won't have to switch my drivers constantly.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bisnic said:
What kind of power supply does this one requires? I have a 500W already. If i have to buy another one on top of a 250$ GPU... its going to get expensive =/

Anyone know? The last thing i would want if i buy a GTX560 Ti is to learn too late that my power supply is not able to take it. And websites like NCIX or Newegg don't mention anything about it.

MisterAnderson said:
The fuck? So if I'm in the middle of a Crysis 2 playthrough (using 3D) I'd have to constantly switch drivers to play Witcher 2? Guess I'm glad I'm holding off on it. I still have the Witcher 1 to finish up anyway. Hopefully a fix comes around before then so that I won't have to switch my drivers constantly.

Yes, sorry... It's too bad Nvidia Inspector doesn't have a 'Driver Compatibility' option like RadeonPro: In RadeonPro, you can take the driver files from older drivers and set games to run with them specifically.

For example, let's say Game A works best/has best performance with Driver B from January 2011, but you have Driver A installed (a newer, 'better' driver), you can take the driver files from Driver B and have the game run as if Driver B was installed without uninstalling Driver A and reinstalling Driver B! It's genius and works perfectly.

Just wait a week or two, NVidia should fix the 3D vision issues in the drivers.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Turn off SSAO, and also make sure PowerPlay is set to Max Performance or disabled entirely in Catalyst Control Center. Make sure all drivers are up to date. Set your computer's power plan to 'High Performance' if possible.
I can't find any power play setting in the CCC, the drivers are up to date and disabling SSAO gave me like 5 fps.

-GOUKI- said:
Guys i have a 5770 and amd athlon x4. Can i run this?

Yes, you can. Medium/High Settings @ 1080p.

Bisnic said:
Anyone know? The last thing i would want if i buy a GTX560 Ti is to learn too late that my power supply is not able to take it. And websites like NCIX or Newegg don't mention anything about it.

Yes, you'll be fine. If you're really that concerned, get a Radeon 6870 or 6950, they have much less power draw at full load.

brotkasten said:
I can't find any power play setting in the CCC, the drivers are up to date and disabling SSAO gave me like 5 fps.

Might be a mobile only thing. Make sure antialiasing is disabled in the CCC, and set Anisotropic to 8x. Set Catalyst AI Texture Filtering to 'Quality'.

Also, try forcing Vsync Off in CCC ---> 'Wait for Vertical Refresh' ---> Always Off. Also disable it in the game's config.

Disable 'Depth of Field - Gameplay' as well and see if that helps. Some people are reporting big increases with that off.

Install RadeonPro as well and make a custom profile for Witcher 2. Very odd that your performance is so low, you should be doing much better at High/Ultra settings. I am having a similar problem though, I can't hit over 40 FPS on High settings (even indoors with SSAO and Depth of Field off), but you may have something else creating a problem for you. Those Witcher 2 hotfix AMD drivers can't come soon enough.

-GOUKI- said:
Nice! my monitors only 1680 anyways.

Overclock your GPU a bit and you should be able to have almost everything on High (except maybe SSAO or Depth of Field - Gameplay, they're not worth the FPS hit on AMD cards right now) @ 1680x1050 with really good FPS.

Going to experiment with turning Blur Effects off... I may have overlooked that setting, some people are claiming it lowers FPS quite a bit. We'll see.

scitek

BoobPhysics101 said:
Yes, sorry... It's too bad Nvidia Inspector doesn't have a 'Driver Compatibility' option like RadeonPro: In RadeonPro, you can take the driver files from older drivers and set games to run with them specifically.

For example, let's say Game A works best/has best performance with Driver B from January 2011, but you have Driver A installed (a newer, 'better' driver), you can take the driver files from Driver B and have the game run as if Driver B was installed without uninstalling Driver A and reinstalling Driver B! It's genius and works perfectly.

Just wait a week or two, NVidia should fix the 3D vision issues in the drivers.
:eek: How the heck did I not know about this? PM me and tell me how this works, plz.

I tried running it for about 30 minutes last night, seemed a little choppy but playable on my system, with settings between Medium and High:

- AMD Phenom II X4 945
- 4GB RAM DDR3
- GeForce GTX 260

I didn't get too far though, only explored the camp at the beginning a little bit. Is there a part after that that causes a big drop in framerate? Because I'll probably just stick it out otherwise.

Cday

Banned
So is there going to be a patch anytime soon that gets rid of these dumb black bars (1920x1200). I guess I can DealWithIt but come the fuck on.

Kyaw

Uninstalled 3D drivers for Nvidia and i'm getting very good frames!

Everything Ultra + AFx16 forced minus ubersampling - 30-60 in Flotsam. Never goes lower than 30.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
nelsonroyale said:
What results are you getting with AA turned on?
We're good to go, with AA on. It didn't have the hit I was expecting, as things still stayed above 30fps.
Cday said:
So is there going to be a patch anytime soon that gets rid of these dumb black bars (1920x1200). I guess I can DealWithIt but come the fuck on.
It's coming soonish.

Smokey

ArbiterMajor said:
I was wondering if my computer can run this game, can anyone help me ?

Intel I7 930 2.80GHz
12 GB RAM
GTX 570
Windows 7 64 bit

So those are my specs, thank you :) I really can't wait....

nope not at all

upgrade dat cpu, video card is pretty weak too.

How do I get MSI Afterburner to show on screen while I'm playing? I'd like to see my GPU utilization.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cday said:

It's funny how you wait for months for a game to come out, then the second day it's out, it feels like such a long time ago it was released, and everything should be fixed tomorrow.

Just play it on the HDTV instead of the PC monitor, with a gamepad, and then you don't have to worry about black bars.
until you watch a bluray movie

K.Jack said:
We're good to go, with AA on. It didn't have the hit I was expecting, as things still stayed above 30fps.

It's coming soonish.

Awesome. Any chance you could put up any screens with AA on, and maybe even of ultra? haha, I have six weeks until I will have access to my laptop and I want to get a little feel for the power of the beast.

Hawk269

Ok SLI users, found another issue that I stumbled upon, but did not realize it until I got farther into the game. It looks like the issue from Witcher 1 where light sources are seen thru walls. For example in the prologue where you board that giant moving thing to the castle walls, there is glow in the corners as if the sun is shining into it, this is not normal. I also noticed it while in the under ground portion of the prologue where there are torches you light up. If you walk away from them and go behind a wall you can see the slight glow of the torches through the walls. I lit up all the torches, and behind a wall, it looks like glowing orbs.

In Witcher 1, this could be fixed by using a modified sli profile in nvidia inspector and the issue goes away, so not sure if the same would work with TW2.

Could other SLI users check on this as well. Like I said, it was hard to determine if it was a problem until I got to the underground area cause so far in the prologue there are not alot of areas that have lamposts/torches etc. I did think that in the beginning when you are on the moving tower thing to attack the castle wall looked weird with such a bright glow, but did not think much about it, but now that it is doing it in otehr areas, it is apparent that this is an issue.

Now switching my SLI to OFF it goes away and fortunately since this game is such a piece of shit with SLI, I can still play it at Ultra without any loss of IQ or Framerate because the game does not scale or really use SLI properly.

Top Bottom