• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

jackdoe

Haha. With a Core2Duo I'm getting pretty much the same framerate of 25-35 fps outdoors on presets from low to ultra. I'm still in the prologue so I'm sure that will change later and that definitely makes tweaking at the early stage pretty pointless. Anyway, I'll roll with ultra at 25 to 30 fps outdoors. I was able to get through Lords of Shadow at 24 fps, I should be able to get through this game at this framerate so long as I use a controller.

Zeal

Banned
just wondering, does the game take a hit if you have the nvidia driver pack that came with the 3d drivers? i installed them accidently.

running a GTX 460

Chiggs

Gold Member
Has anyone messed around with the configuration file yet? I'm wondering if there's a way to dedicate more memory to the game.

Brofist

Wanted to get a bit into the game before posting in here, to get a good grasp of the performance in different areas.

CPU: i7 920 (@3.4GHz)
GPU: MSI GTX 480 Twin Frozr II (not OC'ed ATM)
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Settings: Ultra (SSAO and Ubersampling disabled)
Driver: 275.27

The frame rate is pretty much steady 60 FPS indoors, between 50-60 FPS most of the time outdoors, dipping under 50 with a lot of action. Game looks great and runs smoothly. The only negative is I often see that kind of dithering effect. Makes me feel like I'm playing an incredible looking PSP game at times ;)

wwm0nkey

Zeal said:
just wondering, does the game take a hit if you have the nvidia driver pack that came with the 3d drivers? i installed them accidently.

running a GTX 460
You can uninstall the 3D driver without uninstalling your graphic driver, just go to your control panel and find the nvidia 3D vision driver and uninstall it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been settled with these settings

w2settingsfkd1.png

Getting 60fps almost all the time. It spikes in lesses scenery but this is more than acceptable for the stunning visuals splendor it brings.

Playing it a 1080p on the big screen gets me about 45 average. I'm more than happy.

Minsc

Gold Member
Pimpbaa said:
That invert mouse fix isn't working for me.

I don't use it myself, but make sure you're editing the ini in the My Documents\Witcher 2\ folder, not the folder where you installed the game. If someone's aware of a better write-up for linking in the OP, please post it, I feel a few people complained it's awkward to follow.

Yurt said:
I realize there's a thread about PC upgrades already so apologies in advance. But since you guys have the game already maybe it's best to ask for advice here.

That's what I have atm unfortunately so what should I upgrade first ? I have a modest budget.

-ASUS Rampage Formula X48 Core 2 Due 3.0 GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- This is my terrible card http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/83805/details.asp
- TR2 550w if it helps ?

I tried the game on high, I was getting 20-25 fps but in crowded fights later on it drops to 10-19. And yes I tried it on medium and low it's the same strangely lol.

edit Is it cheaper to just buy another card of the above and just SLI them together ? Or am I still gonna get the same crappy fps ?
anyone ? because I'm going tomorrow and I'm pretty clueless about this stuff heh.

A 9600GT is pretty slow, I'd guess it's more of a handicap than your CPU, I say upgrade that first. I think the current sweet spot for $/performance is getting a 6950 that mods to a 6970 or something, but TheExodu5 or someone else would probably have a better answer than me.

Guys is AF working in this?
I got everything maxed but im not convinced full AF is working.

Or do i need to force it through CCC ?

Smokey

2rmqoev.png

Core i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
ASUS DCII GTX 580 @ 877mhz core, 4064mhz memory
8GB RAM
3D Drivers removed

20 - 25 fps. Ultra including UberSampling. I find the fps to be tolerable since Witcher 2 really isn't really a fast paced game.

Without Uber sampling I go between 47-55 fps.

Dat UBER sampling. So good.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Minsc said:
A 9600GT is pretty slow, I'd guess it's more of a handicap than your CPU, I say upgrade that first. I think the current sweet spot for $/performance is getting a 6950 that mods to a 6970 or something, but TheExodu5 or someone else would probably have a better answer than me.

Alright I'll do that. Thanks !

Minsc

Gold Member
TheVampire said:
Guys is AF working in this?
I got everything maxed but im not convinced full AF is working.

Or do i need to force it through CCC ?

Force through CCC all the time, imo. Works great once you do for me.

brotkasten said:
Could you guys please check the FPS at the beginning, when you leave the tent? Here's a screenshot for reference.
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher2.exe_2011-05-1b7yc.png

I get 35-45 fps there with ultra settings and then everything maxed on top of that (a few of ultra's preset options aren't actually maxed), except uber.

Pimpbaa

Minsc said:
I don't use it myself, but make sure you're editing the ini in the My Documents\Witcher 2\ folder, not the folder where you installed the game. If someone's aware of a better write-up for linking in the OP, please post it, I feel a few people complained it's awkward to follow.

I was confused because most of those values listed were in the ini. They are added when you adjust the sensitivity ingame. Anyway, got the proper values adjusted now.

Wallach

Minsc said:
I get 35-45 fps there with ultra settings and then everything maxed on top of that (a few of ultra's preset options aren't actually maxed), except uber.

Are you still running a 5850? Just trying to get a gauge on what to expect. I'll probably jump in at the end of the month.

Yurt said:
anyone ? because I'm going tomorrow and I'm pretty clueless about this stuff heh.

Don't even bother SLI'ing the 9600 GT, still way too slow. Keep yours to use as a Physx-dedicated card and buy either a 550 GTX, Radeon 6850, 6950, 560 GTX Ti, or a cheap 5850/5870 if your budget is lower. Any of those cards will let you run High/Ultra at 1080p. I know you're in Oz so the prices are rape, so get any of those that's priced the lowest. Don't get any less than 1 gb of GDDR5 VRAM on it. ok?

And for god's sake. don't buy a 460 SE (shitty edition)

Varna

This bug is getting annoying. Randomly my fame-rate will be cut in half during cutscenes. Using ALT+TAB to minimize will fix the issue but I'm having to do it more frequently in chapter 1.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BoobPhysics101 said:
Don't even bother SLI'ing the 9600 GT, still way too slow. Keep yours to use as a Physx-dedicated card and buy either a 550 GTX, Radeon 6850, 6950, 560 GTX Ti, or a cheap 5850/5870 if your budget is lower. Any of those cards will let you run High/Ultra at 1080p. I know you're in Oz so the prices are rape, so get any of those that's priced the lowest. Don't get any less than 1 gb of GDDR5 VRAM on it. ok?

And for god's sake. don't buy a 460 SE (shitty edition)

Haha alright.

I know you're in Oz

lol how can you tell :p

Varna said:
This bug is getting annoying. Randomly my fame-rate will be cut in half during cutscenes. Using ALT+TAB to minimize will fix the issue but I'm having to do it more frequently in chapter 1.
Sounds like you're running out of VRAM/RAM.

Yurt said:
Haha alright.

lol how can you tell :p

.au links and shitty website design. lol

Its too bad you can't just import videocards from USA, they're dirt cheap here. Every beggar and kid in the ghetto has at least a Radeon 6850 or GTX 560! Salvation Army gives em away. You can donate blood to get one instead of being an organ donor like in Oz. etc

If you can find a cheap Core 2 Quad, i'd put that in as well. will make a big differencewith newer games, especially if overclocked.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BoobPhysics101 said:
.au links and shitty website design. lol

Its too bad you can't just import videocards from USA, they're dirt cheap here. Every beggar and kid in the ghetto has at least a Radeon 6850 or GTX 560! Salvation Army gives em away. You can donate blood to get one instead of being an organ donor like in Oz. etc

HAHA true :(

If you can find a cheap Core 2 Quad, i'd put that in as well. will make a big differencewith newer games, especially if overclocked.

Yeah that's probably second on my list.

Thanks man, I wrote all this down.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This game is gud. Still finding it super hard though.

Anyway,
I'm 'not a PC person blah blah blah how are my specs:"

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPI Q820 @ 1.73GHz
RAM: 6.00GB
Graphics: GeForce GTX 260M
DirectX runtime version: 11.0

tis a laptop.

I just set it all to run Medium (am I doing this right?). Not sure what I can sport.
Is there a command I can input to see what FPS I'm currently running at?
It seems pretty smooth.

Varna

brotkasten said:
Sounds like you're running out of VRAM/RAM.

Ram and Vram are definitely high in this game. Ram usage peaks at 77% and vram peaks at 1100/1500. Definitely not running out.

Actually scratch that. I see vram getting as high as 1350.

Looks like I'm going to have to build a new rig from scratch, I'm scraping the low twenties with everything turned off. Can anyone point me to a good resource on how to get some parts where I won't get ripped off, not stores mind you, but builds and the like.

Salaadin

Looking at MSI, it seems that TW2 sometimes hits 99% usage of my GPU. Is there anything wrong with this? Its not going to kill my GPU, is it?
I dont recall ever seeing it that high but I also dont check it that often.

Snapshot King said:
Looks like I'm going to have to build a new rig from scratch, I'm scraping the low twenties with everything turned off. Can anyone point me to a good resource on how to get some parts where I won't get ripped off, not stores mind you, but builds and the like.

In the US:

Newegg.com
TigerDirect.com

Slickdeals.net also has specials on PC gaming hardware from time to time.

Salaadin said:
Looking at MSI, it seems that TW2 sometimes hits 99% usage of my GPU. Is there anything wrong with this? Its not going to kill my GPU, is it?
I dont recall ever seeing it that high but I also dont check it that often.

If a game ISN'T using your GPU 100%, either your GPU isn't being pushed to its max and/or it's not being utilized completely. It's a good thing if it's showing 99%, that's what mine shows.

Whether or not the game is using the GPU power effectively is another matter...

mr stroke

Finally installed it

-i52500k
-ATI 6990
-8gb
-11.5 drivers

Res@2560x1600- 20-30 fps No Uber
with Uber- 5-10 fps :(

Need Crossfire support ASAP!!!! Hurry AMD

and a patch to fix the windowed mode problem, WTF is this crap, I have to lower my desktop res to 1920x1200 to get it to start in non windowed mode. errrrrrr

BoobPhysics101 said:
In the US:

Newegg.com
TigerDirect.com

Actually, Canada. Newegg finally ships here, but I don't imagine theres an option to assemble your parts at a fee? I'm clueless at PC assembly.

Salaadin

BoobPhysics101 said:
In the US:

Newegg.com
TigerDirect.com

If a game ISN'T using your GPU 100%, either your GPU isn't being pushed to its max and/or it's not being utilized completely. It's a good thing if it's showing 99%, that's what mine shows.

Whether or not the game is using the GPU power effectively is another matter...

Ok, wasnt sure. Thanks for the quick reply.

Snapshot King said:
Actually, Canada. Newegg finally ships here, but I don't imagine theres an option to assemble your parts at a fee? I'm clueless at PC assembly.

There may be. There's other Canadian e-tailers that offer assembly for a fee, like NCIX (iirc).

Assembling isn't really that hard as long as you follow a good guide and are careful since you're a newb. Ever worked on a car? It's easier than that in some ways.

knitoe

mr stroke said:
Finally installed it

-i52500k
-ATI 6990
-8gb
-11.5 drivers

Res@2560x1600- 20-30 fps No Uber
with Uber- 5-10 fps :(

Need Crossfire support ASAP!!!! Hurry AMD

and a patch to fix the windowed mode problem, WTF is this crap, I have to lower my desktop res to 1920x1200 to get it to start in non windowed mode. errrrrrr
I keep seeing people saying CF isn't working, but for me, both of my GPUs are showing >90% load. Doesn't that mean CF is working or doesn't mean anything? Can you tell me what MSI Afterburner says your 2 GPU load is?

Minsc said:
Force through CCC all the time, imo. Works great once you do for me.

Your System spec? I have 3-5 fps less than before, when I max everything (except ubersampling). That doesn't seem right.

Zeal said:

running a GTX 460

Fuckin' Zeal. Uninstall and reinstall them without 3D drivers

knitoe said:
I keep seeing people saying CF isn't working, but for me, both of my GPUs are showing >90% load. Doesn't that mean CF is working or doesn't mean anything? Can you tell me what MSI Afterburner says your 2 GPU load is?

What program are you using to measure your CF GPU load? Afterburner? Some programs are inaccurate...

Hawk269

knitoe said:

Knitoe...it seems that game does use crossfire/sli, but not effectively. I can turn off SLI on my rig and get the same performance as I get in SLI. While it says it is using both, it makes no difference during gameplay. I know some xfire people disabled xfire and had the same results as if they were running xfire.

For me, the only benefit to SLI oddly enough is in the cinematics. For some reason on mysingle card, it drops to 30fps or so, but in gameplay my single card is around 55-60 with some drops to 50. In SLI same gamplay peformance, but in the cutscenes it is solid 60fps. So who knows wtf is up with this game. You would think they would of said "hey lets ensure in gameplay that SLI kicks ass...but the way it is now, they said...You know fuck gameplay, let's make sure our awesome cinematics run at 60fps and gameplay is whatever....<joking of course>

knitoe said:
Yes. Afterburner. Is there a better on?

Use RadeonPro and apply the Crossfire AFR profile fix. GPU usage should stay the same but FPS should go way up and/or flickering should occur. This will let you know what's really up.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Knitoe...it seems that game does use crossfire/sli, but not effectively. I can turn off SLI on my rig and get the same performance as I get in SLI. While it says it is using both, it makes no difference during gameplay. I know some xfire people disabled xfire and had the same results as if they were running xfire.

For me, the only benefit to SLI oddly enough is in the cinematics. For some reason on mysingle card, it drops to 30fps or so, but in gameplay my single card is around 55-60 with some drops to 50. In SLI same gamplay peformance, but in the cutscenes it is solid 60fps. So who knows wtf is up with this game. You would think they would of said "hey lets ensure in gameplay that SLI kicks ass...but the way it is now, they said...You know fuck gameplay, let's make sure our awesome cinematics run at 60fps and gameplay is whatever....<joking of course>

SLI scales perfectly on my rig (~100%).

What's your CPU? You may be getting CPU limited in the case where SLI doesn't scale.

knitoe

BoobPhysics101 said:
Use RadeonPro and apply the Crossfire AFR profile fix. GPU usage should stay the same but FPS should go way up and/or flickering should occur. This will let you know what's really up.
I have tried the RadeonPro. It makes zero difference. I even enable the graphic pattern so I could tell the profile was loaded. Guess, CF is working for me. Maybe, CF is just not very optimized as others have mention.

mr stroke

knitoe said:

I am going to assume Crossfire support isn't working based off of this-

CatalystCreator Andrew D
No ETA yet on Witcher 2 hotfix; trust me I'll let everyone ASAP (but I'm pushing hard to get it sooner than later)
3 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
Brink CF profile should be ready in next few days or so- will be supported in Catalyst 11.5a hotfix RC4 build (will let you know when ready)
14 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
We always try to get CF support the day a game releases, but sometime we don't see the final build of a title until it releases...
17 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
We're looking at Witcher 2 for single and CF - will release hotfix driver as soon as possible
19 minutes ago

CatalystCreator Andrew D
Witcher 2 - CF profile - looks like a driver change is needed (can't do to much with just CAP) - will let you know more info when I have it

Sounds like AMD knows there is an issue and a fix should be out ASAP(at least I hope)

I am going to hold out playing until this weekend, hopefully there has been a CF patch by then.

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, I just changed an option called "Sharpen" in the User config file. It was at 0, but I set it to 1, and I believe it has sharpened the image.

Anyone else here try it? Anyone know what it really does?

I really hope that the latest and drivers will bring some improvement in single card performance as well. I'm sitting at the border of 30 FPS on ultra and a couple extra frames per second would really help.

SoulClap

The performance tester seems to think I have 798 MB of video memory even though I have a MSI 6950 2GB card. Should I be worried? I've set the "Texture Memory Size" to "Very High" and played a little bit of the prologue and performance seems fine. Windows 7 is detecting 2048 MB of dedicated video memory as well. Strange....

SoulClap said:
The performance tester seems to think I have 798 MB of video memory even though I have a MSI 6950 2GB card. Should I be worried? I've set the "Texture Memory Size" to "Very High" and played a little bit of the prologue and performance seems fine. Windows 7 is detecting 2048 MB of dedicated video memory as well. Strange....
The detection is crap. It said I had about 4 GB of VRAM (I wish).

Can you tell me the rest of your specs and what fps your getting at the beginning?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hey, just wanted to throw this out there to see if helps anyone. In the User config file, there's a setting called Allocate Texture Memory or something like that. On High settings, it was set to 400 (I assume megs), so I changed it to 800 and I'm getting far less stuttering.

For reference, my HTPC is running a q9300 @ 3.0ghz, 8gb of DDR3, and a Radeon 6950 2GB (unlocked shaders + OC).

Curious if this helps anyone. Want to make sure I'm not falling for a placebo effect.

Coldsnap

With a GTX 560 I'm running on Ultra with everything enabled besides Ubersampling. Getting 30-45 fps with an average of 38fps.. feeling pretty good about that.

Game runs great at 30 fpsish

Chiggs said:
So, I just changed an option called "Sharpen" in the User config file. It was at 0, but I set it to 1, and I believe it has sharpened the image.

Anyone else here try it? Anyone know what it really does?

It's antialiasing.

Chiggs said:
Hmm, there's a separate line for antialising, too. Strange, but it certainly does appear to be activated.

Weird, I know, but if you toggle antialiasing on/off in the Configure program, it turns on/off sharpening. I believe it sharpens the image because Witcher uses MLAA, which would cause blurring... so I'm going to guess they have a sharpen renderer going as well to counteract the effect.

Try turning on antialiasing in User.ini AND disabling sharpen.

Also, TextureMemoryBudget being = 800 MB is fine for you, since you have 2 GB of VRAM.... not sure how it'd act with 1 GB of VRAM. I tested it @ 700 MB and it was fine, but perhaps I didn't play long enough to fill up the VRAM.

Top Bottom