• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Fredescu said:
I have the latest drivers (270.61) and a GTX570 and removing the 3D drivers got me an extra 20-30fps. Amazing. This fix definitely does not apply to older drivers only.

that isnt the latest though is it? I think thats the latest official driver, but nvidia just released a beta driver.

can anyone confirm if this works? framerate is unplayable for me on my laptop, but its 3d vision capable so I wonder if this still works with the new beta driver.

Salaadin

Tried MLAA last night and it made the picture look like shit. Everything was extremely blurry.
I also used Radeon Pro to force 16xAF but I couldnt see a difference despite getting 9 FPS less.

TheExodu5 said:
It's much more noticeable in game. Uber pretty much eliminates all aliasing and texture shimmering. I wouldn't use it with today's hardware, but I'm glad the option is there so I can use it in a few years.

Ubersampling in the forest outside flotsam, my jaw hit the floor.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
It's much more noticeable in game. Uber pretty much eliminates all aliasing and texture shimmering. I wouldn't use it with today's hardware, but I'm glad the option is there so I can use it in a few years.

Granted but those are really only "sideeffects" from having uber, can we just call it supersampling, enabled. I mean if the dithering wasn't there and the textures didn't shimmer then uber would be rather superfluous. ( other than the obvious gains in antialiasing )

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Salaadin said:
Tried MLAA last night and it made the picture look like shit. Everything was extremely blurry.
I also used Radeon Pro to force 16xAF but I couldnt see a difference despite getting 9 FPS less.
I think I read a few pages back that the AA solution used in the Witcher is MLAA with a sharpen filter applied to make it look less smudgy. So there should be no reason to use driver MLAA anyway

Manager

I've read through most of the thread but didn't see this, Radeon CAP for Crossfire on its way:
http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/70598955150479361

Stay tuned on the Witcher 2 CAP - we're currently looking at it (for most games the final release is usually different from beta)

The AMD 11.5a May 17th RC2 drivers were also released two days ago, not to be confused with the first 11.5a hotfix. Doesn't seem to be any gain in Witcher 2 though, that will probably be included in the 11.6 preview soon.

JohngPR

Quick update, first of all...here are my specs:

CPU: 3.2 GHZ Phenom II X4 955
GPU: Radeon HD 5770

Here are my video settings:

x44yt5.jpg

With these settings, I was able to get an average of 34 FPS (using Radeon Pro to do benchmarking) while walking around Flotsam. I even went inside the tavern and walked around the back docking area. I'm pretty happy with it. :)

I tried to increase the texture memory size, but there was way too much pop in (I'm talking ME1, if not worse type of bad) so I kept it where you see it in my pic.

I think I'm probably done tweaking and won't be looking at the settings anymore....unless you guys have figured something else out that improves FPS with no visual quality loss. Being a console gamer, I'm more than happy with averaging over 30fps.

:p

Salaadin

Manager said:
I've read through most of the thread but didn't see this, Radeon CAP for Crossfire on its way:

The AMD 11.5a May 17th RC2 drivers were also released two days ago, not to be confused with the first 11.5a hotfix. Doesn't seem to be any gain in Witcher 2 though, that will probably be included in the 11.6 preview soon.

AMD kills me with their drivers. Theres 11.5a drivers that are different from 11.5a hotfix? Oh jeez.

Im currently running 11.5a hotfix. Im just going to hang on to these until The Witcher 2 drivers come out, whenever that is.

JohngPR said:
I think I'm probably done tweaking and won't be looking at the settings anymore....unless you guys have figured something else out that improves FPS with no visual quality loss. Being a console gamer, I'm more than happy with averaging over 30fps.

You might want to take some comparison screens with Bloom and without Bloom. Some people think the game looks better without. I disabled it and didnt get any FPS increase but the game did look better, imo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Manager said:

Those were may 16th drivers btw. There hasn't been an update since.

OH SHIT, here's CAP2 for 11.5. No release notes yet. Just released!

JohngPR

Salaadin said:
You might want to take some comparison screens with Bloom and without Bloom. Some people think the game looks better without. I disabled it and didnt get any FPS increase but the game did look better, imo.

Cool, I'll take some screenshots and post my findings....thanks! :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:

I have a screen in the OP where it looks better imo, in one instance anyway. There were a few people who posted certain areas would look worse without it too, but by in far, it seems most areas look better without it.

gdt

JohngPR said:
Quick update, first of all...here are my specs:

CPU: 3.2 GHZ Phenom II X4 955
GPU: Radeon HD 5770

Here are my video settings:

x44yt5.jpg

With these settings, I was able to get an average of 34 FPS (using Radeon Pro to do benchmarking) while walking around Flotsam. I even went inside the tavern and walked around the back docking area. I'm pretty happy with it. :)

I tried to increase the texture memory size, but there was way too much pop in (I'm talking ME1, if not worse type of bad) so I kept it where you see it in my pic.

Hmm, I have a 6770m, that's the same as this card (but apparently a little better?), and I'll be playing at 720p.

I'd love to see screenshots to see what I can expect more or less.

Minsc

Gold Member
dionysus said:
What does the setting Vignette do?

There's a section in the OP where all settings are explained, but from there:

Vignette: aesthetic option that produces a photographic vignette around the game screen. Does not affect performance.

In some ways, I guess that doesn't really answer your question though, lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tokubetsu said:
Oh man. Want to install but thinking it's probably best to wait.
Yea, it's not anything for this game yet from reading the short responses in that thread. We're due a new an entirely new release to update things for the Witcher.

Anyone having random crashes in chapter one? I played through the prologue flawlessly, then I started to have serious crashes around the hanging scene. I'm wondering if this might have to do with any technical issues.

My PC:
CPU:Intel Core 15-2500k @3.30GHz
RAM:4,00 GB
GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 570

I get around 50fps almost all the time on Ultra settings, do you guys think this might be about the shaders (read somewhere DoF causing issues) or simply game-ralated? If so I hope for a patch soon

Salaadin

Tony Redgrave said:
Anyone having random crashes in chapter one? I played through the prologue flawlessly, then I started to have serious crashes around the hanging scene. I'm wondering if this might have to do with any technical issues.

My PC:

I get around 50fps almost all the time on Ultra settings, do you guys think this might be about the shaders (read somewhere DoF causing issues) or simply game-ralated? If so I hope for a patch soon

Does the Windoes Event Viewer give any details about whats causing the crash? Any error messages associated with it (driver stopped worked, etc) or does the game just stop working?
I didnt read anything about DoF issues but if you did, maybe try turning off all 3 DoF options and see if that fixes it.

Hixx

Tony Redgrave said:

My PC:

It seems to be quite a common problem. Are you on 32bit Windows 7/Vista, by any chance?

Salaadin said:
Does the Windoes Event Viewer give any details about whats causing the crash? Any error messages associated with it (driver stopped worked, etc) or does the game just stop working?
I didnt read anything about DoF issues but if you did, maybe try turning off all 3 DoF options and see if that fixes it.

It just says that the game stopped working, I've been reading some forums and it seems both Nvidia and ATi people are having this problem so it's not the drivers.
Seems there's a lengthy thread in the Polish official forums as well so it might be about the game after all but then why isn't it happening to most everyone? thanks for answering I'm gonna mess with the settings and see what happens.

HixxSAFC said:
It seems to be quite a common problem. Are you on 32bit Windows 7/Vista, by any chance?

Yep I'm using Win7 32bit.

Manager

From that Twitter mentioned above:
http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/

chautemoc No ETA yet on Witcher 2 hotfix; trust me I'll let everyone ASAP (but I'm pushing hard to get it sooner than later)

As mentioned a couple of posts above a CAP update isn't enough, new drivers needs to be released.

Witcher 2 - CF profile - looks like a driver change is needed (can't do to much with just CAP) - will let you know more info when I have it

dionysus

Yaldog
Houston3000 said:
In photography, vignetting darkens the corners of the photo, basically to bring your eyes to focus more on the center of the picture.

Doesn't sound like a demanding affect, I was hoping for an easy way to get an extra 10 FPS out of my i7 920 + 4890 rig. Currently at 1080P and only getting around 30FPS or a little less. I'm not at home so I can't screenshot my settings, but I pretty much have the settings set at super high texture quality and have all the effects turned off like DoF and AA and low shadows.

Kinan

This game is killing my old PC. :(

CPU: Athlon X2 3800+ 2.2 GHz
GPU: ATI 4850 512MB
RAM: 2.5GB
Resolution: 1280x1024.
Win7 64bit.

Medium setting: 8-20fps. :(

I tried to start from medium and then reduce stuff, but it didnt help much.
I'll try to start from low today and go up. I think I'm heavily CPU limited, so I'll need to find out what settings a most CPU heavy and switch those off.

I'll buy a new PC as soon as I have enough money for something serious.

JohngPR

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, I have a 6770m, that's the same as this card (but apparently a little better?), and I'll be playing at 720p.

I'd love to see screenshots to see what I can expect more or less.

Here's some screens I took so you can see what the game looks like with my settings :)

This is my favorite screenshot I've taken ;)

As far as Bloom vs. No Bloom, what do you think?

Bloom

No Bloom

I think I'm going to try and play the game without bloom just to see what I think.

Minsc

Gold Member
dionysus said:
Doesn't sound like a demanding affect, I was hoping for an easy way to get an extra 10 FPS out of my i7 920 + 4890 rig. Currently at 1080P and only getting around 30FPS or a little less. I'm not at home so I can't screenshot my settings, but I pretty much have the settings set at super high texture quality and have all the effects turned off like DoF and AA and low shadows.

Best way to get bonus fps is to head to the future and get the next patch and new video card drivers. :)

Salaadin

JohngPR said:
I think I'm going to try and play the game without bloom just to see what I think.

Your shots are the prime reason why I disabled it. Look at the side of the house in the non-bloom...it doesnt have that washed out effect. I guess its a matter of taste but I greatly prefer the look of that second shot.

JohngPR

Salaadin said:
Your shots are the prime reason why I disabled it. Look at the side of the house in the non-bloom...it doesnt have that washed out effect. I guess its a matter of taste but I greatly prefer the look of that second shot.

I agree, the non-bloom definitely looks more detailed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow, that bloom is way, way over the top. It seems to apply really well to light sources, like the sun and what have you, but its impact on environments is pretty dreadful really.

That second shot with the bloom turned off looks a shit ton better.

Truant

I can confirm that entering the radial menu gives me an instant 60fps. Exiting takes me back to 30. This game is fucked up.

koji

Fredescu said:
I have the latest drivers (270.61) and a GTX570 and removing the 3D drivers got me an extra 20-30fps. Amazing. This fix definitely does not apply to older drivers only.

Wtf... I usually disable that 3d driver install but thanks for the heads up guys.

Truant said:
I can confirm that entering the radial menu gives me an instant 60fps. Exiting takes me back to 30. This game is fucked up.

Truant, are you using that SLI profile Exodus linked a couple posts back? Get inspector mate, you're still using that GTX295 right? This is the post

Hixx

Tony Redgrave said:
It just says that the game stopped working, I've been reading some forums and it seems both Nvidia and ATi people are having this problem so it's not the drivers.
Seems there's a lengthy thread in the Polish official forums as well so it might be about the game after all but then why isn't it happening to most everyone? thanks for answering I'm gonna mess with the settings and see what happens.

Yep I'm using Win7 32bit.

Sorry went to play for a bit.

Do this:

"To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:

Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
Restart the computer.
For more information on the 3GB switch, refer to the following Microsoft MSDN article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff556232.aspx"

Fixed the crashes for me. Dunno if its dangerous or harmful to the PC but it does work.

Truant

koji said:
Wtf... I usually disable that 3d driver install but thanks for the heads up guys.

Truant, are you using that SLI profile Exodus linked a couple posts back? Get inspector mate, you're still using that GTX295 right? This is the post

Yup. This actually reduced my FPS by 5 :(

gdt

JohngPR said:
Here's some screens I took so you can see what the game looks like with my settings :)

Gosh, if it looks like that for me, I'll be very, very happy.

TheExodu5

Banned
EatChildren said:
Wow, that bloom is way, way over the top. It seems to apply really well to light sources, like the sun and what have you, but its impact on environments is pretty dreadful really.

That second shot with the bloom turned off looks a shit ton better.

Yeah. The material reflection is just way off. Geralt's face shouldn't look like it's spewing out radioactive particals.

Very few games get this right. The one game that applied lighting better than any other I've played is Mafia 2. The lighting in that game is a sight to behold. Very tasteful, and completely realistic.

spicy cho

Is anyone else with an overclocked 6970 getting driver crashes in game? I have the same problem with Crysis 2. My OC is moderate and completely stable, Shogun 2, BFBC2 and everything else I play is fine. AMD is really dropping the ball with drivers for recent releases.

My performance was smooth* before, but as soon as I reached the
dragon chase
in the prologue I started to get this weird stutter that makes it look as if Geralt is tripping up slightly as he runs.

knitoe

spicy cho said:
Is anyone else with an overclocked 6970 getting driver crashes in game? I have the same problem with Crysis 2. My OC is moderate and completely stable, Shogun 2, BFBC2 and everything else I play is fine. AMD is really dropping the ball with drivers for recent releases.
Lower your overclock or go back to stock and see if you still get driver crashes. I had crashes in Rift, and after down adjusting in that game, I have no issues in his game.

stabwound

Neo Member
Truant said:
That's most likely because of how vsync works, not the game.

Kinan said:
This game is killing my old PC. :(

CPU: Athlon X2 3800+ 2.2 GHz
GPU: ATI 4850 512MB
RAM: 2.5GB
Resolution: 1280x1024.
Win7 64bit.

Medium setting: 8-20fps. :(

I tried to start from medium and then reduce stuff, but it didnt help much.
I'll try to start from low today and go up. I think I'm heavily CPU limited, so I'll need to find out what settings a most CPU heavy and switch those off.

I'll buy a new PC as soon as I have enough money for something serious.
Yeah, I have the same video card but a much better processor, and I can play smoothly ~30fps at all times on mostly medium-high settings at 1920x1080. The game does seem to be very CPU bound.

Really disappointed in performance of my pc.

CPU: Q9450@ 3.2GHz
GPU: ATI 4870x2
RAM: 4GB DDR2
Resolution: 1920x1200
Location: First area you get when you're talking about morning with king.
FPS: 15-30, depending if it's low or high.

I tried dirt2 profile, compatafr, without them, different resolutions, low settings, high settings etc and I seem to be getting shit fps on all of them. Minimal differences except on low with all off it's around 20-25 and jumps bit higher when I stare at a wall or something. Auto detect puts things at high and I was very pleased when I saw that, but when I started it...

Should it be as bad at this, all other games up to this point worked on max/near max settings. Is my hardware that bad or is it optimization? I'm running latest drivers and cap profile as well.

I'll continue testing I guess but I'm really disappointed because I love this game so much already :(

P.S. Dirt2 profile for me makes it flicker so much it's unplayable.

Top Bottom