• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Helmholtz

Can anyone comment on how a GTX 275 would run the game? I'm planning on picking this up as soon as I'm finished with the first one (which shouldn't take me more than 1 or 2 days).
Other specs: i5 2.67 ghz, 4gb ddr3.

Darklord

Banned
Helmholtz said:
Can anyone comment on how a GTX 275 would run the game? I'm planning on picking this up as soon as I'm finished with the first one (which shouldn't take me more than 1 or 2 days).

It'll run it ok but don't expect great framerate at 1080p.

KKRT00

Easy_D said:
I'd say dipping to 17 fps is having performance issues.
With Ultra settings [only without ubersampling] on Radeon 4850 and dual core? Really?
And look at second settings, medium shadows and no SSAO and no gameplay dof and he got 32 average framerate in Flotsam.

KKRT00

Circle of Willis said:
Is there an ingame benchmarking tool? If not, what are you using to get an accurate benchmark?
There's no benchmark unfortunately, he was just running the same route in flotsam in both tests. He used fraps of course.

KKRT00 said:
There's no benchmark unfortunately, he was just running the same route in flotsam in both tests. He used fraps of course.

IC...also judging by your friend's benchmark/hardware, it's not hard to imagine this game being able to run on console @ 720p (or slightly under) with a combination of medium/high settings and getting a decent framerate (at or slightly under 30 FPS).

The motion blur (much like in Crysis) makes the game playable at lower framerates.

teiresias

Just great, got my new GTX460 in for SLI and now I can't even get the option to show up in the Nvidia Control Panel. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
KKRT00 said:
With Ultra settings [only without ubersampling] on Radeon 4850 and dual core? Really?
And look at second settings, medium shadows and no SSAO and no gameplay dof and he got 32 average framerate in Flotsam.
Missed the second settings, that's pretty nice. I absolutely love how he has worse hardware than I do yet get better results. Mainly because it means I might not have to upgrade my PC to play the game :)

KKRT00

BoobPhysics101 said:
Your friend is playing at 1280x960, tell him to play at 1080p and see what happens.
Play any other demanding game in 1080p with highest settings on R4850/C2D and see what happens ...
Expecting high performance from demanding 2011 game on 3.5 years old hardware in 1080p and highest setting isnt smart.

KKRT00 said:
Play any other demanding game in 1080p with highest settings on R4850/C2D and see what happens ...
Expecting high performance from demanding 2011 game on 3.5 years old hardware in 1080p and ohighest setting isnt smart.

He's not even playing at highest settings. Some stuff is set to medium. no DOF and no SSAO, and playing at 1280x960. I'm really not getting what your point is...

Can you have him do a benchmark at 1680x1050? I want to how much difference there is. Same settings.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KKRT00 said:

That's pretty damn impressive. An older dual core with a 4850 is relatively low-end these days.

jett

D-Member
FUCK YEAH

91xBd.jpg

It's fucked that it runs about the same on ultra and on low.

kamspy

Helmholtz said:
Other specs: i5 2.67 ghz, 4gb ddr3.

I've got a 275 GTX and get a nice 30fps with high settings 1080p.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
jett said:
Here's how it runs on a low-end PC: like shit. I'm not even gonna bother loading up fraps. I have a C2D 6320 and a ATI 4670, and in the time I've had it has ran everything from Crysis to Crysis 2, it has served me well. First time I classify something as unplayable. Also, with the settings it auto-detected, the game not only runs like shit, it also looks like shit.

Meh.

I have a similar PC (4670 1GB and a Dual Core AMD Athlon 5600+), and yeah, the game runs terribly on my system.

It's so bad that it's not even worth playing, honestly. :(

Darklord

Banned
kamspy said:

A constant 30fps even in the forest? In caves or rooms I get a smooth framerate, in town I get 25fps or so but when I reach the forest it drops to about 20fps and then even it rains, holy christ, it looks great but it chugs like a beast. I have a 260GTX which is only slightly worse than a 275 isn't it?

Minsc

Gold Member
jett said:

Dumb question, but you don't accidently have 3D vision stuff installed do you?

It really seems like the game doesn't scale downwards well at all for a lot of people. Hopefully just driver/engine issues, time should fix it at least.

Nekrono

jett said:
Yeah that usually means that your CPU is bottlenecking your performance, especially if it's a dual core, TW2 doesn't like them very much.

I'm running a C2D @2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and a 6950 stock with everything on max except ubersampling @1080p and I was getting ~16 FPS in that scene, with everything on low I gain maybe 2-3 frames... the game is playable for me, even though some scenes can be a pain to get through.

Still saving and waiting for my 2500k :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, something must be up with the game, ULTRA settings at 720p (With Ubersampling off) runs the same as the absolute lowest settings at 800x600. CPU Usage is around 50-70%. Weird as balls man.

It's not even utilizing both cores properly going by the % usage. most other games use 90 and beyond.

Edit: This is an E8500 @ 3.16ghz dual core. GPU is one of those sexy HD5870 1gB Beasts

Helmholtz

kamspy said:
Cool, thanks for the feedback.
Darklord said:
A constant 30fps even in the forest? In caves or rooms I get a smooth framerate, in town I get 25fps or so but when I reach the forest it drops to about 20fps and then even it rains, holy christ, it looks great but it chugs like a beast. I have a 260GTX which is only slightly worse than a 275 isn't it?
I'm pretty sure the GTX 275 is a step above the 260, albeit probably not a very big one.

NIN90

jett said:
FUCK YEAH

http://i.imgur.com/91xBd.jpg/IMG]

It's fucked that it runs about the same on ultra and on low.[/QUOTE]

You on a nVidia GPU, right?
Reinstall your GPU drivers and DON'T install the 3D vision driver.
Went from 5 FPS to 50-60 by doing that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
NIN90 said:
You on a nVidia GPU, right?
Reinstall your GPU drivers and DON'T install the 3D vision driver.
Went from 5 FPS to 50-60 by doing that.

jett said:
Here's how it runs on a low-end PC: like shit. I'm not even gonna bother loading up fraps. I have a C2D 6320 and a ATI 4670, and in the time I've had it has ran everything from Crysis to Crysis 2, it has served me well. First time I classify something as unplayable. Also, with the settings it auto-detected, the game not only runs like shit, it also looks like shit.

Meh.
All he can do is wait for AMD performance hotfix and for the devs to adress whatever may be wrong with the engine.

Hawk269

scitek said:
If everything else being maxed includes Texture Downscaling being set to High, then maybe that's why it runs smoother.

It does not inlcude texture downscalling. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I'm on ATI. A hotfix won't help me either, ATI seems too only pay attention to their latest line of cards when making drivers. Most of the time a driver update gives me worse performance. :p

Nekrono said:
Yeah that usually means that your CPU is bottlenecking your performance, especially if it's a dual core, TW2 doesn't like them very much.

I'm running a C2D @2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and a 6950 stock with everything on max except ubersampling @1080p and I was getting ~16 FPS in that scene, with everything on low I gain maybe 2-3 frames... the game is playable for me, even though some scenes can be a pain to get through.

Still saving and waiting for my 2500k :(

That's just moronic. I don't even see what is it that this game is doing that would justify these framerates.

Question, mates.

1) Should I OC my 2600k to 4.5 GHz? As in, will that give me any worthwhile performance gains

2) I have a GTX 580, Ultra everything except uber, getting 45ish FPS outside the tent. I kinda want 60 FPS locked because I'm a graphics whore, so are there any Settings recommended to turn off that would give me a performance boost or should I suck it up and just take the beautiful game as it is?

jett said:
I want to play me some Witcher ;_;

Ran FRAPS, runs at 11fps outside the tent on medium settings...lol. :(

Since you didn't reply the first time:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27934834&postcount=1137

Also that shot you posted has no aliasing at all, probably means Uber is enabled.

You could also try lowering the resolution :p

BoobPhysics101 said:
Update on the new patch: Coming next week, 16:10 monitor support, mouse inversion fix + keyboard rebinding among other stuff.

www.neoseeker.com/news/16482-witcher-2-patch-coming-next-week-new-videos-explore-cast/

Hopefully they stuff in a few optimizations. Hoping AMD brings their hotfix driver out today or tomorrow.
What about 4:3? :/

jett

D-Member
Metalmurphy said:
Since you didn't reply the first time:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27934834&postcount=1137

Also that shot you posted has no aliasing at all, probably means Uber is enabled.

You could also try lowering the resolution :p

What about 4:3? :/

Uber's disabled, but AA was enabled for that shot. I was just messing around, wanted to see if my PC could even run the game at max settings. :p 720p gives me about 8-10 extra frames. I'm not playing this game at 15~20fps, while looking like butt.

longdi

Banned
it looks like dual core cpus are getting bad performance. it is strange this way as my task manager shows quad core utilization of TW2 lower than CS:S, but dual cores are really old in 2011. cant blame CDP for making the engine for quads.

longdi said:
it looks like dual core cpus are getting bad performance. it is strange this way as my task manager shows quad core utilization of TW2 lower than CS:S, but dual cores are really old in 2011. cant blame CDP for making the engine for quads.

Apparently you CAN blame them. You can even call their programming "moronic," or accuse them of making an unfinished game, even if don't know hardly anything their coding process.

Vestal

Easy_D said:
Okay, something must be up with the game, ULTRA settings at 720p (With Ubersampling off) runs the same as the absolute lowest settings at 800x600. CPU Usage is around 50-70%. Weird as balls man.

It's not even utilizing both cores properly going by the % usage. most other games use 90 and beyond.

Edit: This is an E8500 @ 3.16ghz dual core. GPU is one of those sexy HD5870 1gB Beasts

You know u can OC that 8500 on stock cooling to about 3.8ghz right? I oced the 8400, running it at 3.8ghz

Suggestion sir which helped me.. Uninstall catalyst drivers use driversweeper afterwards then install the latest drivers..

It helped me with my 5770(still pissed i cant xfire though)

knitoe

Saren is Bad said:
Question, mates.

1) Should I OC my 2600k to 4.5 GHz? As in, will that give me any worthwhile performance gains

2) I have a GTX 580, Ultra everything except uber, getting 45ish FPS outside the tent. I kinda want 60 FPS locked because I'm a graphics whore, so are there any Settings recommended to turn off that would give me a performance boost or should I suck it up and just take the beautiful game as it is?
With 2600K, going from 4.5GHz to 4.8Ghz increase by 5 fps. So, yeah, it's going to help, especially if you are still at stock.

I think areas where, like outside of the tent, there are lots of stuff moving, physics?, it's very CPU dependent. There, I notice my CF 6970 only running at ~50% load, but I was only get 48fps. Other places, I am getting >90% loads and better fps.

luca_29_bg

pahamrick said:
Not yet. A driver update may allow forcing of different forms of AA but for right now we're stuck with MLAA.

Thanks! I will wait, anyway with a i7 860 oc 3.7 ghz, 6 gb ram, and a 5850 i have 40-50 and often 60 at 1360x768 everything ultra without uber. I use doubled vsync from radeon pro because i hate tearing, and with standard vsync and triple buffer the dips from 60 really bother me. i wish i can force a specifc frame rate like 35 fps but i can't..... :(

Easy_D said:

I'm in the same boat. low/med/high all pretty much run the same for me. I am debating whether or not I wanna keep playing or wait for a patch ....or maybe just wait till I get home and play on my desktop PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
Update on the new patch: Coming next week, 16:10 monitor support, mouse inversion fix + keyboard rebinding among other stuff.

www.neoseeker.com/news/16482-witcher-2-patch-coming-next-week-new-videos-explore-cast/

Hopefully they stuff in a few optimizations. Hoping AMD brings their hotfix driver out today or tomorrow.

Nice, full notes:

Update: the team notes the patch actually will address performance, for both memory leaks which degrade performance over time, and slow performance while indoors. Overall and especially outdoor performance seems to be the issue for most people, however -- it's not yet known if this will be addressed quite yet.

As noted yesterday, a patch for The Witcher 2 is in the works, though will be taking a little longer than expected, arriving sometime next week.

Besides the mouse inversion fix, keyboard rebinding will be improved and "assorted other fixes" will be included; 16:10 support is expected to arrive at a later date. Unfortunately there's no mention of performance optimizations, but remember NVIDIA users should be able to do alright with the latest beta drivers, while AMD users can expect a hotfix driver sooner than later; Crossfire users can expect an application profile soon, too.

Says 16:10 support is still coming at a later date, probably ~month or so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K.Jack said:
This is 2011.

4:3 is already dead.

Considering how much screen space Geralt takes up as is, I imagine it would be very difficult to play in 4:3 without some ability to zoom the camera out.

rogue74

After reading more of this thread and all the workarounds, I bit the bullet and bought the game. I will be trying it out later tonight.

Question about 3D Vision. I see that uninstalling this gives huge frame rate boosts. In Control Panel, I have two options, 3D Vison Controller Driver and 3D Vison Driver. Do I need to uninstall both of them?

Top Bottom