• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Klyka

Banned
Friend of mine just tried the GoG .exe.
He's got an ATI 5770 and went from 20fps max, no matter the settings, to 30fps in the middle of Flotsam with settings to "high" (DoF disabled).

Truant

I don't know if this is against the ToS, but I replaced the Steam .exe and the .dll file with the GOG versions, and I got a nice performance boost. Around 10fps, plus the game starts up much quicker.

Minsc

Gold Member
Truant said:
I don't know if this is against the ToS, but I replaced the Steam .exe and the .dll file with the GOG versions, and I got a nice performance boost. Around 10fps, plus the game starts up much quicker.

I'm going to test my two versions and see if I can confirm any improvement on a single 5870. My Steam version loads in < 5 seconds (from desktop to menu, 1-2 seconds to load a save), and my framerate seems fine to me, but I'm curious.

epmode

I tried both Steam and the GOG version and I don't see a significant difference either way. No SLI here though.

It may be worth mentioning that I'm only averaging about 30 FPS anyway so it might be more apparent at higher framerates.

Kerrinck

Stahsky said:
How many save files do you have in your save folder? Try deleting half of them and check back for me
5 gigs of saves! Had no idea I had that many.
Thanks man, deleted half of them and that did the trick.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
teiresias said:
So once again the non-pirates are the only ones hurt by anti-piracy measures? This is getting damn annoying.
Yeah, probably. Someone who benefits from the GoG exe and paul.dll should try with a cracked exe and see if the same performance increase is still there, I'd do it but I'm too lazy.

For shame CDprojekt, for shame. Not like the DRM is gonna stop any pirates anyway :(. Hopefully they fix it somehow.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Kerrinck said:
5 gigs of saves! Had no idea I had that many.
Thanks man, deleted half of them and that did the trick.

Yeah, it's a bit silly. Good thing is takes just a few clicks to clear it up.

toasty_T said:
I hope AMD comes out with these drivers soon. All I want is an extra 5 fps.

Has there been any word on if they are working on these? My card could do with some extra sexy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Would love to to hear CDP update on this :( I really don't want to mess about nocd cracks and shit now so I hope they atleast acknowledge the issue or w/e.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
I tried both Steam and the GOG version and I don't see a significant difference either way. No SLI here though.

It may be worth mentioning that I'm only averaging about 30 FPS anyway so it might be more apparent at higher framerates.

No difference in FPS w/ Steam when replacing in GOG's exe & dlls. Same framerate either way. Looks like Steam version is not affected.

This is sounding more and more like placebo, or at worst some weird SLI thing that only half-works as there are no official profiles and the DRM is messing with the ones that partially work.

mxgt

Banned
epmode said:
I've decided that gameplay DOF can go die. I don't mind the camera telling my eyes where to focus during cutscenes but nuts to that when it comes to general exploration. The long-distance blurring especially hurts on high-resolution displays.

Thankfully, we have the option of turning it off! God bless PC gaming.

I agree.

I like DOF effects but during gameplay it's way too close and just too much.

teiresias

Stahsky said:
Yeah, it's a bit silly. Good thing is takes just a few clicks to clear it up.

Are the saves easily identifiable when you're looking at them in Windows Explorer? Since I'm on an SSD I'll definitely want to go in there and delete some games but it would majorly suck to delete the wrong ones by accident.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Minsc said:
No difference in FPS w/ Steam when replacing in GOG's exe & dlls. Same framerate either way. Looks like Steam version is not affected.

This is sounding more and more like placebo, or at worst some weird SLI thing that the DRM is messing with.
Maybe you don't get every issue everyone else gets. Not every single issue affects everyone the same to test on your machine to confirm it. Don't you have the game on SSD? Even if there are loading issues you'd hardly be noticably affected in that regard unless it was seriously fucked up.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
teiresias said:
Are the saves easily identifiable when you're looking at them in Windows Explorer? Since I'm on an SSD I'll definitely want to go in there and delete some games but it would majorly suck to delete the wrong ones by accident.

Do you mean latest saves? They go by number, if so. So just keep a few of your highest numbered saves around. I also sort by date modified/date to double check.

Truant said:

I heard about this as a fix for a random problem with an added performance boost, I was really curious. Where can you get the GOG versions?

EDIT: Ah yeah, there was talk of it earlier, related to DRM. I don't think it affects Steam but might give it a shot.

Minsc

Gold Member
teiresias said:

You can compress the folder within windows for a ~60% file size reduction, mine went from 220MB > 90MB. They're easily identifiable in a thumbnail mode since you can see all the bmps.

Alextended said:
Maybe you don't get every issue everyone else gets. Not every single issue affects everyone the same to test on your machine to confirm it. Don't you have the game on SSD? Even if there are loading issues you'd hardly be noticably affected in that regard unless it was seriously fucked up.

I have the saves on an SSD (as they go to My Documents folder on the C:\), but all my games are on a fast WD Black drive in a Games folder.

Either way, I see no difference at all (not even 10%) by switching Steam's exes for GOG's.

epmode

Just tested some more. There is no difference at all between the Steam files and GOG. For me, anyway.

Dual core 2.9
GTX570 (no SLI)

teiresias said:

I'm not sure what an SSD is, but if you have the files set to "Extra Large" view, you can see the actual point of where you saved in the small thumbnail easily. The saves SHOULD go from oldest to newest from the bottom as well, but that's how mine is so it could be different from yours.

Unless you've got tons of save and its becoming gigs, I wouldn't worry bout it right now. I just deleted around 18 and I left 5 or so. And it only amounted to 147mb altogether.

Hope that helps.

Corky

loganclaws said:
I wouldn't know I have a 2500k OCed to 4.6GHz and I set my voltage to 1.35v.

Yeah same here, although lately I've been playing around with trying to get better temps/voltages by sacrificing just abit of speed.

I started at 1.36 v at 4.6ghz just like you, my chip is pretty meh I couldn't get it over 46x multiplier without going nuts with the voltage. After a while I settled with 4.4 but only 1.26 which made me happier.

Anyways, I'm very bummed out that the reason behind the ridiculous long startup time of the game is nothing more than messed up drm :( I was thinking that my ssd-less pc was sweating but no.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Corky said:
Yeah same here, although lately I've been playing around with trying to get better temps/voltages by sacrificing just abit of speed.

I started at 1.36 v at 4.6ghz just like you, my chip is pretty meh I couldn't get it over 46x multiplier without going nuts with the voltage. After a while I settled with 4.4 but only 1.26 which made me happier.

Anyways, I'm very bummed out that the reason behind the ridiculous long startup time of the game is nothing more than messed up drm :( I was thinking that my ssd-less pc was sweating but no.

Are you talking about the time between clicking "launch game" and seeing the first intro video (gog intro for me)? I just timed it on my SSD with the GOG version it takes exactly 10 seconds.

Corky

loganclaws said:
Are you talking about the time between clicking "launch game" and seeing the first intro video (gog intro for me)? I just timed it on my SSD with the GOG version it takes exactly 10 seconds.

The time it takes for the wolfhead to just stare at me. I think it's between 20-30seconds for me and granted I don't have an SSD but I read that doing all of the .dll .exe switcheroos makes the game load up in like 5-10 seconds instead.

teiresias

Are people getting improved SLI performance with the GoG .exe using the default SLI profile in the beta Nvidia drivers or the custom bits?

M.D

Those GOG files helped a lot.
The game loads in seconds instead of like 30-60 seconds, the load times are much faster, and the FPS is better as well.

Using HD4870 here.

I can only play the game on low, and the FPS is still not perfect.
The game is so ugly on low it not even funny

I refuse to play this game like this. I'm going to upgrade my rig next year, so this will have to wait. shame :(

Gunpriest

Neo Member
My system:
e8400 overclocked @ 3.6 GHz
4 GB RAM
GTX 570 OC, 270.61 without 3D stuff installed
Settings: Ultra, ubersampling off, SSOA off, motion blur off, AA off, 1920x1080
Retail exe: 20-30 fps in cities, 30-40 fps outside of cities
gog exe: 35-50 fps in cities, 60 fps outside of cities

I was amazed after i switched the retail exe and dll with the gog one. The game loads in about 5 secs instead of 30 and i got a major boost in fps, average 20 fps more! Fraking incredible! Hopefully the patch kills DRM for everyone.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
since we talk about perfomance here - I use GOG files as well. I'll buy it in a week or so. I wanted to buy GOG version and gift it to somebody (I have CE already), but since perfomance issues are bad, I'll keep it.

6950 2 gig, quad-core, the game runs maxed out (except ubersmapling), 30 fps in the cities, 60 fps outside.

subversus

the game is piss easy with gamepad. Also you still can use KB shortcuts. Awesome.

But fighting soldiers is hard anyway.

Durante said:
So basically the reason I didn't understand the performance complaints is because I got the gog version?

yes

RedSwirl

subversus said:

So the GOG version has the best performance of all?

Anyway, Roche and his dudes are starting to look like a medieval version of an SAS squad like Captain Price and the gang from COD4: highly trained, experienced, slightly amoral, and out of their minds.

subversus

RedSwirl said:

Anyway, Roche and his dudes are starting to look like a medieval version of an SAS squad like Captain Price and the gang from COD4: highly trained, experienced, slightly amoral, and out of their minds.

some people report 30-50% perfomance improvement. Might be subjective, but you get the idea.

The current workaround is to download GOG pack (executable and some other files).

RedSwirl said:

I have both GOG and Steam versions, don't notice a performance difference between the two.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MickeyKnox said:
I have both GOG and Steam versions, don't notice a performance difference between the two.
They did say Steam version would only use Steam itself as DRM, didn't they?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Truant said:
Aww fuck.

I will wait for a path I guess.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nekrono said:
Do you have SLI? Someone said earlier it was mainly for them.
I have a single GPU and a dualcore CPU, I got a pretty damn nice FPS increase from unplayable mess to playable and pretty good looking, high/ultra mix :). So it's not just CrossFire or SLI people who benefit from this.

Coupled with AMD's performance hotfix and upcoming patches to the game I might be able to keep a stable 30 at all times :D

Nekrono

Easy_D said:
I have a single GPU and a dualcore CPU, I got a pretty damn nice FPS increase from unplayable mess to playable and pretty good looking, high/ultra mix :). So it's not just CrossFire or SLI people who benefit from this.

Coupled with AMD's performance hotfix and upcoming patches to the game I might be able to keep a stable 30 at all times :D
I see, that's good to know, I have AMD and single card and I didn't gain anything but I think my CPU is bottlenecking everything since I tried going down to 720p and I got the same framerate lol.

Hixx

Done the gog.exe (switched from retail .exe's) and yep, substantially quicker boot time and about 10 fps increase on e8400 + hd5770.

How can they let shit like this slide, it's ridiculous.

Corky

HixxSAFC said:
Done the gog.exe (switched from retail .exe's) and yep, substantially quicker boot time and about 10 fps increase on e8400 + hd5770.

How is it even possible that rendering the game is hindered by drm?

HixxSAFC said:

Yeah, i've not really seen any tangible difference in performance, but the loading is now lightning fast.

epmode said:
I've decided that gameplay DOF can go die. I don't mind the camera telling my eyes where to focus during cutscenes but nuts to that when it comes to general exploration. The long-distance blurring especially hurts on high-resolution displays.

Thankfully, we have the option of turning it off! God bless PC gaming.

Here is an on/off comparison of the better use (or worse, not forcing my opinion) of dof.

On: http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1306096728-clip-1149kb.jpg

Off: http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1306096824-clip-1261kb.jpg

Hixx

Corky said:
How is it even possible that rendering the game is hindered by drm?

I have no idea. But the controls even feel more responsive (especially manipulating the camera) which is usually tied to frame rate.

Haint

HixxSAFC said:

Truly disgusting.

1tmwwx.png

Witcher 2. This kind of shit is exactly why.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Reallink said:
Truly disgusting.

1tmwwx.png

Witcher 2. This kind of shit is exactly why.
Really? Your answer to that is that people can experiment and identify and even help resolve issues rather than get no solution and explanation beyond it is how the game is?

Top Bottom