• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

mxgt

Banned
Reallink said:
Truly disgusting.

1tmwwx.png

Witcher 2. This kind of shit is exactly why.

Nice contribution.

Hixx

Reallink said:
Truly disgusting.

1tmwwx.png

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a reason to avoid PC gaming. Console gaming is becoming reliant on official fixes more and more often these days as well.

mileS said:
Does the GoG version really run 10fps faster or did you just not test it very well. I don't know I find that extremely hard to believe.

It performs better. I really cannot be bothered to sit and run around watching a FPS counter just to validate my claims. It is noticeably smoother for me. I'm not massively distracted by framerates but I can tell the difference between low 20s and low 30s.

Keikoku

Banned
E8400 + HD4890 1go + 4gigs of ram.

Settings :

Nmhbn.png

25-40fps. I'm extremely satisfied with this game's performance considering that my rig is not really the best out there.

EGM92

Holy crap, I just replaced the .exe and paul file from the one linked in the Guru3d forums, I'm getting min 55fps, and its usually around 80-90fps now.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
mileS said:
Does the GoG version really run 10fps faster or did you just not test it very well. I don't know I find that extremely hard to believe.
I did compare framerates and in Flotsam Village it went from 19 fps to around 26-30+ with the GoG .exe and dll. It's smooth enough that I can actually enjoy the game now, peforms better than the first game, oh the horrors of Vizima.. outside of villages it's always 30+ ranging from 30 to 50, in caves it's usually around 100.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Out of curiousity, is it possible for someone to share these gog.exes dlls here on gaf or is that a gray-zone?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Corky said:
Out of curiousity, is it possible for someone to share these gog.exes dlls here on gaf or is that a gray-zone?

Meet

EGM92 said:
Holy crap, I just replaced the .exe and paul file from the one linked in the Guru3d forums, I'm getting min 55fps, and its usually around 80-90fps now.

It's probably safe to talk about it, dunno about direct links though, it seems very grey area (Fitting, considering the game).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah I saw that and read about that certain place games are worldy copied but I don't trust those sites I'd rather ( if possible ) have fellow gaffers help out

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn, kinda glad my retail copy was fucked and i was forced to resort to my comped GOG edition. Im running on a 4870x2 and i am running at basically ultra settings with some options toned down to 'high' at 1680 res with all the AA and motion blur and everything and it has actually been a fairly smooth experience. On retail i would probably be getting 10 fps.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hot dam, I can play with ubersampling on in Flotsam Forest (Stable 30) at least, village runs like shit at 16-20. But..it's so beautiful.. maybe with AMD's new drivers..it might just work with it on. Surprised it ran at an almost stable 30 with enemies on screen in the forest.

(Sort of corrected) Also, the standard in game AA sort of sucks, I thought it was off, came as a huge surprise to find that it was on.

Carm

Reallink said:
Truly disgusting.

1tmwwx.png

People really need to stop bitching about this, it wouldn't be the first game hindered by DRM, won't be the last either. The problem here though is YOU, yes YOU had a choice, DRM infested version(this includes Steam) or DRM free. You chose to pay full price for a DRM infested product, when everyone knows it's bad for various reasons, yet you bought it anyway.

As for someone blaming the developer for the DRM, you realize DRM is usually requested by the publisher, in this case Atari/Namco.

I buy DRM infested products, but I typically pay far less than release day price, the only one I'll pay anywhere close to full price anymore is Steamworks. I understand what I'm in for when I buy DRM infested products though.

epmode said:
I've decided that gameplay DOF can go die. I don't mind the camera telling my eyes where to focus during cutscenes but nuts to that when it comes to general exploration. The long-distance blurring especially hurts on high-resolution displays.

Thankfully, we have the option of turning it off! God bless PC gaming.

I turn off Depth of Field and Motion Blur in 99% of games because it's just implemented badly and for the performance hit, it's not worth it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not too experienced with PC specs so who can help me out with what would be my recommended settings to play the game on? Here are my specs directly from dxdiag:

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60 GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
Video Card: GeForce GT 230M

Video RAM: 3.7gb
Pixel/ Vertex shader: 4.1

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dr Eggman said:
I'm not too experienced with PC specs so who can help me out with what would be my recommended settings to play the game on? Here are my specs directly from dxdiag:

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60 GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
CPU Speed: 1.6 GHz
Video Card: GeForce GT 230M

Video RAM: 3.7gb
Pixel/ Vertex shader: 4.1

Is this is a gaming laptop?

Because I have a GT335M and I have some difficulty keeping 30 FPS on medium.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Pankaks said:

It's a high performance HP laptop (Pavilion dv7) that my brother owns.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If you're using Vista 32/ Win7 32 and experiencing crashes to desktop you need to do this.

enable the 3GB switch on the Windows Vista™ or Windows 7 operating systems.

To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:

Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
Restart the computer.

To disable the 3GB switch:
Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
Restart the computer.

The game stopped crashing for me ever since.

I'll also confirm the the GOG .exe and .dll led to much improved load times for my retail version. Didn't run Fraps to get exact numbers, but there was a definite framerate boost in the early dungeon sections as well.

2Qr.

The game will be arriving soon so can anyone tell me what performance would I get with these specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 3.2Ghz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC'd 880/1760/2100

what performance would I get on the highest settings @ 1080p

2Qr. said:
The game will be arriving soon so can anyone tell me what performance would I get with these specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition @ 3.2Ghz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC'd 880/1760/2100

what performance would I get on the highest settings @ 1080p

If you turn "uber" off, I'd say very good performance.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dr Eggman said:
It's a high performance HP laptop (Pavilion dv7) that my brother owns.

I'm honestly not sure.

Your processor is better than mine but the video card is a little worse. If I had to take a guess, I would say low/medium would run "okay" probably somewhere around 20-30 FPS.

But given how drastically different the performance is for different people, I would take my advice with a large grain of salt.

jvalioli

Pankaks said:

You can run medium on your card? What are your other specs? Thinking about buying this but I didn't think my 540 would perform that well

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Pankaks said:
I'm honestly not sure.

Your processor is better than mine but the video card is a little worse. If I had to take a guess, I would say low/medium would run "okay" probably somewhere around 20-30 FPS.

But given how drastically different the performance is for different people, I would take my advice with a large grain of salt.
I'll just play Low with a 900x600 resolution. Thanks though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DoctorPayne said:
I'll also confirm the the GOG .exe and .dll led to much improved load times for my retail version. Didn't run Fraps to get exact numbers, but there was a definite framerate boost in the early dungeon sections as well.
I only got the EXE, the GURU 3D forum says to delete paul.dll and just use the GOG witcher2.exe. I'm already getting great frame rates but I do get slight stutters and odd loads at times. Will try it out.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just upgraded from a 4870 512mb to a 2gb 6950 and although the framerate is much better, it almost feels a tad laggy... Is this normal?

Sorry if been brought up before haven't had time to read whole thread at work.

Pancakes

jvalioli said:
You can run medium on your card? What are your other specs? Thinking about buying this but I didn't think my 540 would perform that well

I have an M11x R2 with:

Processor: i7 640 UM (1.2 GHz turbo boosted to 2.26GHz)
Ram: 4 GB of ram
GPU: GT335M 1GB

I was getting acceptable framerates in most parts of the game (Note: acceptable for me is anything above 25 FPS)

I'm sure I could get a stable 30FPS if I OC'd my GPU, but Rivatuner doesn't want to cooperate =/.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Pankaks said:
I have an M11x R2 with:

I was getting acceptable framerates in most parts of the game (Note: acceptable for me is anything above 25 FPS)
Medium is also acceptable actually but I have a habit to wanting the game as smooth as possible even if visual superiority would be a trade-off.

I don't know how to put this politely so I'll just be blunt:

FUCK DRM!!!!!!!!!!

90% of my performance issues and EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD who has had major issues with performance and that have tried to resolve their issues with the help of many others (including myself) got fucked because if you didn't buy the GOG version, DRM is fucking your performance straight up the ass.

Switching to the GOG exe gave me an instant 10-12 FPS boost in every area I've been in.

As soon as I replaced the exe's and loaded up the games with FRAPS... bam, huge FPS boost.

All the tweaking and experimenting I've done to help myself and others was in vain because I bought the DRM-plagued version of the game.

If you didn't buy the GOG version, you got fucked. Go replace your exe with the GOG exe and get the performance you deserve because CD Projekt Red, Steam, Direct2Drive, retail, and Securom gave you the middle finger.

This totally explains why some people had great performance and some had much worse performance even with the same hardware or similar specs. Holy fucking shit. It all came down to a simple choice of who you got it from.

I am so disgusted right now.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
I don't know how to put this politely so I'll just be blunt:

FUCK DRM!!!!!!!!!!

90% of my performance issues and EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD who has had major issues with performance and that have tried to resolve their issues with the help of many others (including myself) got fucked because if you didn't buy the GOG version, DRM is fucking your performance straight up the ass.

Switching to the GOG exe gave me an instant 10-12 FPS boost in every area I've been in.

As soon as I replaced the exe's and loaded up the games with FRAPS... bam, huge FPS boost.

All the tweaking and experimenting I've done to help myself and others was in vain because I bought the DRM-plagued version of the game.

If you didn't buy the GOG version, you got fucked. Go replace your exe with the GOG exe and get the performance you deserve because CD Projekt Red, Steam, Direct2Drive, retail, and Securom gave you the middle finger.

This totally explains why some people had great performance and some had much worse performance even with the same hardware or similar specs. Holy fucking shit. It all came down to a simple choice of who you got it from.

I am so disgusted right now.
I'm lttp. How can I find the gog exe?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lots of ppl with performance issues do have the gog version, it's not like that exe is a magical fix for everything, patches are still in order. And do we even know if it's for all DRM or just the Steam DRM yet? Don't see how CDP gave you the middle finger. Without such, their game wouldn't even be in retail or the other services. Other games may suffer all the same and you just don't know it because there's no no-DRM version (though it's not unheard of for cracks to improve performance in certain cases either).

Minsc

Gold Member
I (and others) used the Steam version and had no problems. I agree it is annoying though, but to try and use it as a pitch (in this thread no less) as a reason to not touch PC games is almost pressing your luck.

It's complete crap, but that's why this thread exists. Find and solve the problems, at least there are simple enough solutions.

Hixx

Alextended said:
Lots of ppl with performance issues do have the gog version, it's not like that exe is a magical fix for everything, patches are still in order. And do we even know if it's for all DRM or just the Steam DRM yet? Don't see how CDP gave you the middle finger. Other games may suffer all the same and you just don't know it because there's no no-DRM version (though it's not unheard of for cracks to improve performance in certain cases either).

I think its more people with retail disc rather than the DD offerings who've reported an improvement with the gog exe.

jvalioli

Pankaks said:
I have an M11x R2 with:

I'm sure I could get a stable 30FPS if I OC'd my GPU, but Rivatuner doesn't want to cooperate =/.
Cool beans. I'm mostly a console gamer so 720p and 30 fps is good enough for me

Xdrive05

FYI, I bought the game retail (at Frys) so I have no qualms about using a "no dvd" executable. I didn't even download it via torrent (where my act of downloading it may contribute, in some small way, to its distribution to actual pirates).

EDIT: nevermind, I'm stupid. I was putting them in the program root folder instead of the bin folder.

Hawk269

chickdigger802 said:
The interesting thing is that will it come out this generation or next? I'm pretty sure this will require some hits on texture quality and what not to get it to run properly on current gen consoles even though it is dx9.

That is why I think they need to reelase Witcher 1 on Consoles. Take some time to work on it for release by the end of the year or so, then next year or when the new consoles come out release Witcher 2 with all the DLC/Expansions etc.

I have a E6550 @ 2.33GHz and 4GB of RAM and passive GPU. Is it possible for me to pop a good GPU in there and get decent FPS/IQ, or will I need to upgrade my CPU as well? I'll be gaming at 1280x720 (projector)

Alextended said:
Lots of ppl with performance issues do have the gog version, it's not like that exe is a magical fix for everything, patches are still in order. And do we even know if it's for all DRM or just the Steam DRM yet? Don't see how CDP gave you the middle finger. Without such, their game wouldn't even be in retail or the other services. Other games may suffer all the same and you just don't know it because there's no no-DRM version (though it's not unheard of for cracks to improve performance in certain cases either).

CDP gave me and everyone else with SecuROM version the middle finger because there is the high possibility that this is causing the huge performance issues (regardless of patches/drivers being needed).

Read the last two pages of this very thread. Several people have reported the exact same thing I have. How do you explain that?

Easy: No more SecuROM.

Aeana

I don't have the game yet, but I plan to soon. It sounds like it will run "all right" on my 560 Ti, but not at 60 FPS. So is there a way to clamp the framerate to 30? I would prefer to have that than a fluctuating framerate, which tends to make me ill. :\ I wish more games had that built in (or that that FPS Limit program worked on Windows 7). EDIT: I did read the first post, but it says to use FPS Limiter which doesn't work on Windows 7 as far as I know? Is there an updated version?

EDIT2: Seems DXTory might do what I'm looking for. I'll give it a shot when the time comes.

LiquidMetal14

Aeana said:
I don't have the game yet, but I plan to soon. It sounds like it will run "all right" on my 560 Ti, but not at 60 FPS. So is there a way to clamp the framerate to 30? I would prefer to have that than a fluctuating framerate, which tends to make me ill. :\ I wish more games had that built in (or that that FPS Limit program worked on Windows 7).
With the GOG exe you should see closer to 60fps than 30.

I just switched too and got about 5-10fps boost from my retail exe. I backed the original paul.dll and witcher2.exe just to be sure though.

I just redid the
Kayran
boss fight and I was getting about 50fps average on it.

I stand corrected, I was getting upwards of 60fps.

HixxSAFC said:
I think its more people with retail disc rather than the DD offerings who've reported an improvement with the gog exe.

I have the D2D version (same as retail I believe) and I had a huge performance increase and no more ridiculous load times from Windows when I installed GOG Witcher 2 exe and paul.dll.

jett

D-Member
Hawk269 said:
That is why I think they need to reelase Witcher 1 on Consoles. Take some time to work on it for release by the end of the year or so, then next year or when the new consoles come out release Witcher 2 with all the DLC/Expansions etc.

Didn't CDPR already say that they had the game running on the 360? I'm really curious to see how it looks, and how it runs.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hawk269 said:
I don't see why PS360 couldn't run this on 720p with mixed medium to high settings and 30 fps or so. That'd be more than on par with other titles thanks to the art. Witcher 1 would need some major reworking. It's still clunky and janky in many ways even with the Enhanced Edition and it wouldn't be exactly easy to retrofit the sequel's combat system in there either (part of their initial port reports was reworking the combat system though). Overall it's also not likely to do very good on consoles, that's probably the reason they never got to finish it in the first place, with no publisher interest. The sequel is basically a fancy hack and slash with scripted sequences and QTEs and what not, just with also some dialogue choices and some more free-ish roaming here and there, nothing too CRPG-like for consoles, all streamlined and flashy enough for publishers to want it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Minsc said:
I (and others) used the Steam version and had no problems. I agree it is annoying though, but to try and use it as a pitch (in this thread no less) as a reason to not touch PC games is almost pressing your luck.

It's complete crap, but that's why this thread exists. Find and solve the problems, at least there are simple enough solutions.

Steam user here. With SSAO off, I get about 60 FPS on average, with slight dips to 50 here and there and insta-loads and boots. Make sure you clear some of your old saves to help with menu loads. Having a ton of saves bogs it down.

Varna

Stahsky said:
Steam user here. With SSAO off, I get about 60 FPS on average, with slight dips to 50 here and there and insta-loads and boots. Make sure you clear some of your old saves to help with menu loads. Having a ton of saves bogs it down.

What's your rig? Steam version as well and I get fair consistent 60 FPS with SSAO and Uber off. Raining effect generally brings me down to 45ish, and some of the larger vistas in chapter 2 do tax my system. i5-760, 580gtx.

I curious about the whole gog.exe... steam version does have extra drm too right? Anyone experiment for it? I can't find it myself.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Gaining 10fps or more is a substantial claim, especially from those of you who have mid-range GPUs, which are being maxed out already.

Anyone going to post some actual proof, on the claimed performance increases given by the GoG exe?

Varnasteam said:
.....Steam version does have extra drm too right?
Nope.

LiquidMetal14

Zeliard said:
It'd be amusing if it was just some placebo effect.
I went up 5fps on average but I wouldn't be surprised. It runs so well regardless for me. I just tried it with both sets of exe files too. GURU 3D is always saving the day with my driver and tech needs.

Keeping both for future use.

Top Bottom