• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
It'd be amusing if it was just some placebo effect.

I'm always scared of that. I did some .ini modifying and it improved my performance when I dedicated more texture memory to the game.

Still, you always have to wonder.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got a link to the DRM-less exe.

I can confirm there is no difference (between GoG and Steam), at least on my hardware:

i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz
2x GTX 570 (only single card running for Witcher 2)
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

There's a chance that the DRM is only taking extra CPU cycles, and since my 2500k is much faster than needed for the game, there would be no difference. I might try running the test again with a downclocked CPU.

Chiggs

Gold Member
TheExodu5 said:

I can confirm there is no difference, at least on my hardware:

i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Placebo'd.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ran another test. I set core affinity to a single core, ensuring that I was CPU limited.

Again, no difference.

Gonna have to call bogus on this one.

One thing surprised me: setting only 1 CPU core made the loading take at least 2-3 times longer.

Damn, I love this game so much! I was never able to get into the first one but this has blown me away with its combat, art direction, writing, quests and underlying systems. Pay attention BioWare, this is what a good fantasy RPG should be like.

TheExodu5

Banned
I tried running the Steam version with the paul.dll file removed, and it runs. I guess the Steam version is not using the Securom DRM whatsoever, so my comparison is useless. The claim is that Securom is causing the slowdown, so we'll need a comparison with retail.

Ryuuga

Banned
Guys I heard if you set the "DRM_Performance_Inhibitor" to 0 from the user config you can play the game with 120 fps using ubersampling on a 8800 gtx.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Btw, this is proof, to me:

1. Screenshots taken in the same environment, at the same time. FRAPS overlay included.

2. With each .exe, run a 5 to 10 minute FRAPS benchmark, in which you use the same save, and do the same exact things. Post the logs.

Minsc

Gold Member
Aeana said:
I don't have the game yet, but I plan to soon. It sounds like it will run "all right" on my 560 Ti, but not at 60 FPS. So is there a way to clamp the framerate to 30? I would prefer to have that than a fluctuating framerate, which tends to make me ill. :\ I wish more games had that built in (or that that FPS Limit program worked on Windows 7). EDIT: I did read the first post, but it says to use FPS Limiter which doesn't work on Windows 7 as far as I know? Is there an updated version?

EDIT2: Seems DXTory might do what I'm looking for. I'll give it a shot when the time comes.

FPS Limiter from the OP works perfectly for me, just tested it (Win 7 64-bit). If your program works post, and I'll add that in as well.

Proof:

First screenshot with DRM'd Direct2Drive Witcher2.exe and paul.dll

witcher2%202011-05-22%2018-45-03-22.png

Second screenshot with GOG Witcher 2 exe and paul.dll

witcher2%202011-05-22%2018-47-03-33.png

Exact same settings. Did not touch controller after loading save. Both were taken within 5 seconds of loading the save, shadows look like they moved I'm guessing because of the 1-2 second delay between where each pic was taken after saving.

So much for placebo.

Will post more pics/proof (even videos) if required. Going to do FRAPS benchmarks for 45 seconds. I will run from that location in Flotsam back to Roche's boat in the forest. Benchmark will automatically end in 45 seconds.

TheExodu5 said:
Looks like it's confirmed for the Securom DRMed versions of the game, then.

Are Steam and GoG the only non Securom versions?

Tell you what... I'll send you (and anyone else) my Direct2Drive Witcher2.exe and paul.dll. Make backups of your versions and then try running the game with Direct2Drive DRM'd versions.

TheExodu5

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Tell you what... I'll send you (and anyone else) my Direct2Drive Witcher2.exe and paul.dll. Make backups of your versions and then try running the game with Direct2Drive DRM'd versions.

I'd be interested in trying it out.

Minsc

Gold Member
I expect CDP would address this ASAP, hopefully monday. If their forums ever got back up, there'd probably be a huge, huge thread of people demanding refunds and swearing left and right.

I know they were planning on removing all DRM eventually. Would be a nice gesture if they did that sooner rather than later, but I doubt Atari will have any of that so soon.

Nekrono

BoobPhysics101 said:
I'd be interested too.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BOOBPHYSICS101 :D
don't even think about posting a gif too many mods here :p

Looks like it's confirmed for the Securom DRMed versions of the game, then.

Are Steam and GoG the only non Securom versions?

Hopefully they'll patch it for everyone. I bet a lot of people don't even know about this "fix".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TheExodu5 said:
Ran another test. I set core affinity to a single core, ensuring that I was CPU limited.

Again, no difference.

Gonna have to call bogus on this one.

One thing surprised me: setting only 1 CPU core made the loading take at least 2-3 times longer.
Maybe it is placebo. In the boss I was getting 2fps more, odd. Now it's raining and I'm getting the same FPS regardless.

LOVE THE RAIN

witcher22011-05-2221-5c7ir.png

witcher22011-05-2221-5j7nq.png

TheExodu5 said:
I'd be interested in trying it out.

Here's the upload for you and anyone else who wants to check it out:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUGLVWPP

Please make sure to back up your Witcher2.exe and paul.dll before replacing them with these DRM copies.

Also note the size difference between the SecuROM exe and your non-SecuROM exe. Also check out how long it takes to load the game from Windows with the DRM'd copy... even for SSD users it takes 5x longer than the non-DRM exe. ;)

Narag

Will the rest of SecuROM need to be in place for them to test accurately? I recall the Steam version had dummy files but no idea if it matters.

Narag said:
Will the rest of SecuROM need to be in place for them to test accurately? I recall the Steam version had dummy files but no idea if it matters.

No idea to be honest. I'll start digging around and try to find the files if I can. The DRM exe is about 23 MB and the non DRM exe is 15~ MB so it might just need the different exe.

Edit: Odd... I have the D2D version and yet in my bin folder I have the Steam client api dll. I'm going to guess all copies have the exact same files and the exe is the only difference? That'd explain why I have a Steam api in my non-Steam version.

Ryuuga said:
I'll do a comparison vid with ubersampling since I have the retail version.

Don't use FRAPS to record it, because FRAPS causes a FPS hit while recording so this may skew results. Use your cell phone or another video camera.

TheExodu5 said:

I can confirm there is no difference (between GoG and Steam), at least on my hardware:

i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

There's a chance that the DRM is only taking extra CPU cycles, and since my 2500k is much faster than needed for the game, there would be no difference. I might try running the test again with a downclocked CPU.
It's not doing anything for me either and I have only a C2Q with 3,6 GHz. Tested at the camp in By The King's Will and the fps didn't change one bit. It's still around 30 fps.

Ryuuga

Banned
Okay it definitely runs better with the GoG execution file. The game boots up noticeably faster and I'm able to get a stable 30 fps with ubersampling as opposed to the 20-25 fps I was getting while FRAPS was on.

For me it's a strange change from retail to gog exe. When i stand still in flotsam i get approx 35 fps, with retail exe it was around 26-28 at best. But while running around and moving from area to area, the fps is only slightly improved from the retail version, it still stays just below 30.

Uploading a comparison video now. I think motion blur fucks with the FPS sometimes (when turning) but you can see the FPS gain in many parts, it's huge. Whereas before it'd only hit 29-30 FPS max it spikes up to 40-41 FPS a few times, and avg FPS is much higher.

Fix The Scientist said:
For me it's a strange change from retail to gog exe. When i stand still in flotsam i get approx 35 fps, with retail exe it was around 26-28 at best. But while running around and moving from area to area, the fps is only slightly improved from the retail version, it still stays just below 30.

Try disabling Motion Blur...

striKeVillain! said:
Yeah - I'm not seeing any considerable change when switching the .exe file. Still around 30fps with high/ultra settings at 1080p.

Which exe did you switch it with? Only people with Steam or GOG versions should be switching their exe and dll with the ones I uploaded (which are DRM'd versions from Direct2Drive and Retail). I will PM you the link to the GOG exe.

Ryuuga

Banned
Retail:

witcher22011-05-2222-2ihu2.png

Initial boot time: 20 seconds
Loading screen: 7 seconds

GoG:

witcher22011-05-2222-2kcwh.png

Initial boot time: 5 seconds
Loading screen: 4 seconds

Seriously how the hell?

LiquidMetal14

Kabuki Waq said:
did you guys replay the exe file in the bin folder?
I did that with the GOG but not the D2D, gonna try now.

Too lazy to take the screens but I noticed a 2fps increase with the D2D exe.

Shitty FPS comparison video I made using my cell phone, back to back between DRM and non-DRM (you can see every change I make, nothing is hidden.)

4:30 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgmkiV6J8g

Enjoy.

Be sure to check out the FPS upon initial load, when moving around, near the end of movement, and especially check out the boot time differences between DRM and non-DRM.

LiquidMetal14

BoobPhysics101 said:
Shitty FPS comparison video I made using my cell phone, back to back between DRM and non-DRM (you can see every change I make, nothing is hidden.)

4:30 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgmkiV6J8g

Enjoy.

Be sure to check out the FPS upon initial load, when moving around, near the end of movement, and especially check out the boot time differences between DRM and non-DRM.
There's a difference there. Even if 5fps or so, still.

Coldsnap said:
this page belongs in the "Console only gamers, what keeps you from PC Gaming?"
Get out of here with that. This is something we do voluntarily. For the enthusiast. Failed point noted.

Coldsnap

It's just insane though that one exe of the game might be performing that another. I think it's rad that you guys are inspecting it and your method is very professional, don't get me wrong.

LiquidMetal14

Coldsnap said:
It's just insane though that one exe of the game might be performing that another. I think it's rad that you guys are inspecting it and your method is very professional, don't get me wrong.
You're back on my good side.

LiquidMetal14

I think it's not worth it for me to deviate from what I use BUT the GOG exe launches way faster than my retail exe. I can still launch both without having to swap as long as I put the GOG exe in the bin folder. I think I may do this from now on. I hate waiting on that LOGO in the desktop for like 10-15 seconds.

Game is sick! best looking game ever... awesome rpg... kicks Dragon's Age ass!

I just need to buy xbox 360 controller receiver now.

trees

village

playin on TV rocks!

LiquidMetal14 said:
There's a difference there. Even if 5fps or so, still.

Get out of here with that. This is something we do voluntarily. For the enthusiast. Failed point noted.

Don't look at the difference when moving, look at the difference when I stop running and it's still. It's about 5 FPS when moving, and anywhere from 10-15 FPS when still.

LiquidMetal14

BoobPhysics101 said:
Don't look at the difference when moving, look at the difference when I stop running and it's still. It's about 5 FPS when moving, and anywhere from 10-15 FPS when still.
I noticed. I get lesser but similar sporadic jumps myself with my retail. The best seems to be the GOG exe given how fast it loads. I can still launch the retail exe which gets me the DLC and patches too so it's a win, win.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I noticed. I get lesser but similar sporadic jumps myself with my retail. The best seems to be the GOG exe given how fast it loads. I can still launch the retail exe which gets me the DLC and patches too so it's a win, win.

You can still use the patches and DLC with the GOG version. You can just switch back to retail, update, then get an updated GOG version.

Load times difference between DRM and non-DRM

With DRM: 48 seconds from the time I hit start game to when it actually gets to the opening movies

Without DRM: 6 seconds

You can measure it yourself in my comparison video. And that's with a fast SSD.

Top Bottom