• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Narag

Domcorleone said:
I have a 2.8ghz i5 quad core, 5870 1gb graphics card and 4th ram I can't get past 29 FPS on high with SSAO off. What gives? Also I'm using direct 9 does going to 10 improve performance? I'm a noob sorry.

I believe there's a hotfix coming to your video drivers that might help performance. Also, if you're using a version with SecuROM, you might be having issues there too.

Kyaw

BoobPhysics101 said:
This may solve the FPS drop when streaming textures + make the game look even better:

In your User.ini in My Documents/Witcher 2/Config, change it so that the following settings look like this:

FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 <--- Change to 1500 if you have the 3GB GTX 580
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

At least change TextureMemoryBudget to 1000. The other stuff is optional.

What shall i change the memory budget to for a 1.5gb GTX 480?

D3adend

Neo Member
eCqlw.jpg

That is what the game looks like for me.

Using ATI 6850 -1024 MB
11.5 (appears to be latest) drivers.
Running windowed doesn't change anything, nor did any of the other settings. (I went through this thread and searched a few other sites.. I haven't found anything relevant to my problem).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Turn off anything related to AA in your graphics card settings, only use the game's own launcher for such settings.

LowParry

I really want to play this game but all this tweaking is a bit of a turn off. Probably will just wait till we see some patch work before I jump in.

So replacing the retail exe with the gog.exe didn't help, what did though, was deleting SecuROM's Paul.dll after replacing the exes (duh).

D3adend said:

Using ATI 6850 -1024 MB
Running windowed doesn't change anything, nor did any of the other settings. (I went through this thread and searched a few other sites.. I haven't found anything relevant to my problem).
I had this problem when I played with some of the Radeon Pro settings. Changing everything back to default did the trick. Of course I have no idea which setting caused this. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BoobPhysics101 said:
This may solve the FPS drop when streaming textures + make the game look even better:

In your User.ini in My Documents/Witcher 2/Config, change it so that the following settings look like this:

FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

I set it to 1000 on the texture budget as I have a 2GB 6950. I don't have foliage distance scale though.

WTF my frame rate went up at least 20fps with these settings. I did get an odd jerk or 2 in town but I really have no time to tinker.

What is a good memory budget for a 2GB card?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BoobPhysics101 said:
Feel free to set it to 1400.

If you're missing any of that stuff in your ini, just paste it in.
Cool thanks!

I hope this doesn't mess up streaming or cause odd stutters but I have to mess with it more. Time for work.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dice mod from this list (added to OP) looks pretty great for making the dice game easier to read.

CcrooK said:
I really want to play this game but all this tweaking is a bit of a turn off. Probably will just wait till we see some patch work before I jump in.

This is really nothing, especially if you have a gaming PC, like 1/100th the work involved w/ Fallout 3 or Oblivion :)

Carm

Benson said:
Wow this DRM stuff is bullshit! I always thought my retail copy took an age to boot so just out of curiosity I downloaded the gog exe and it loaded instantaneously. Once again the honest user is screwed over by DRM.

The honest user should have purchased the DRM free version in the first place. ;p

Binabik15

Minsc said:
Dice mod from this list (added to OP) looks pretty great for making the dice game easier to read.

This is really nothing, especially if you have a gaming PC, like 1/100th the work involved w/ Fallout 3 or Oblivion :)

I really, really don´t like the changes to the dice game. I can read the dice on my tv well enough, but having to throw them? Not having 3 options for betting? The hell?

About fiddling with settings, it´s not something you HAVE to do, IMO.

It runs well enough on my 5850 (a bit OC) with motion blur, dof etc at 1080p. Who needs ultra. I get 28 up to 50ish FPS in Flotsam and the forrest, only dropping below high twenties when I do a quick camera spin in the town or step out of the city gate. It´ll stutter for a moment and dip in fps for like a second.

I´ll try the gog.exe and the boob config later on and I´m expecting some Ati and dev patches to hopefully never go below 30 again.

Edit: Just turned on my pc, Catalyst update. Hm.

Could someone please send me the gog.exe and the ini file? Or point me to a dl site? My google fu is weak. Thanks.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BoobPhysics101 said:

FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

Is this not what the Texture Memory Size setting already does?

Salaadin

Melhisedek said:
What should Texture Memory Budget be for a 1Gig card? (5850 1Gig)

I put it to Very High with my 5850 and havent had any issues.
I dont know if lowering it would increase performance or not but it runs fine for me at Very High.

Grinchy

Banned
I saw a few mentions about the 4850 on the first page. Is anyone using that card right now who could talk about their performance?

I have a quad core (2.5ghz) and 8GB (ddr2 800) ram. What kind of awful performance might I expect? I really, really want this game.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Melhisedek said:
What should Texture Memory Budget be for a 1Gig card? (5850 1Gig)

this!, is it safe for a 1gig card to put the budget to 1000? or maybe we should put it to 800 or something

longdi

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
Texture Memory Size budget limit is 600 MB when set to Very Large. That's pretty conservative especially with the amount of VRAM some cards have.

does it really work? after editing the ini, my launcher settings drop to very small.

V_Arnold

Grinchy said:
I saw a few mentions about the 4850 on the first page. Is anyone using that card right now who could talk about their performance?

I have a quad core (2.5ghz) and 8GB (ddr2 800) ram. What kind of awful performance might I expect? I really, really want this game.

I am enjoying the game with a 4850 with 1gb vram. No problems for me. Sure, other than textures set to very high and aa-enabled, most special stuff is disabled, and it does not run with 60fps. But it is fluid enough for me. Slowdowns occur here on there, especially on new zones, but it is playable just right, so I would not worry about it. And the game still looks awesome :)

Using a Phenom II X2 550 BB, 2gb DDR3 and Win7, just so you can compare that with your specs.

Grinchy

Banned
V_Arnold said:
I am enjoying the game with a 4850 with 1gb vram. No problems for me. Sure, other than textures set to very high and aa-enabled, most special stuff is disabled, and it does not run with 60fps. But it is fluid enough for me. Slowdowns occur here on there, especially on new zones, but it is playable just right, so I would not worry about it. And the game still looks awesome :)

Using a Phenom II X2 550 BB, 2gb DDR3 and Win7, just so you can compare that with your specs.
Thank you for the response! I'm more of a framerate whore when it comes to PC games than I am textures (I realize I may be in the minority) so maybe some tweaking of the settings could make this very playable to me.

Out of curiosity, what resolution do you run at?

Just got started in Flotsam with the endrega contract, but those fucking spiders are raping me. Any tips on how to deal with 4 of em at the same time?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Fallout-NL said:
Just got started in Flotsam with the endrega contract, but those fucking spiders are raping me. Any tips on how to deal with 4 of em at the same time?

Don't. Safest bet is to run when you see more than one. As you level, you'll be able to take on two of the bottom tier of endregas at the same time, but if one of them is a warrior or guard it's still easier to just run and take them on singly. Re the Queens: luckily you can kite these bastards. Don't even think about attacking them when there's another endrega in the area.

Dosia

Just got back from rocky point. Finally going to install this bad boy after work. I got a copy from amazon so hopefully I dont encounter any issues.

scy

So, for the whole DRM fix, is it just the .exe that needs to be replaced? And, well, removing paul.dll. Maybe this will get me to a more stable 60 FPS (50-60 typically right now) without turning off anything else. Hm...

I do have an issue where the game hangs occasionally, typically when I go to pause the game. Just sits there for a few seconds (longest I've seen was closer to 30s). Not sure what's causing it. Hasn't been that much of an annoyance yet but figure I might as well figure out the solution while I'm at work and not playing.

Dosia said:
Just got back from rocky point. Finally going to install this bad boy after work. I got a copy from amazon so hopefully I dont encounter any issues.

Check OP. Retail versions have DRM that may slow down your performance significantly, but there is a fix.

Geoff9920

luxarific said:
Don't. Safest bet is to run when you see more than one. As you level, you'll be able to take on two of the bottom tier of endregas at the same time, but if one of them is a warrior or guard it's still easier to just run and take them on singly. Re the Queens: luckily you can kite these bastards. Don't even think about attacking them when there's another endrega in the area.
The Endrega Contract:
Also, never attack the Queen head on. If you can get behind her strong attacks to the abdomen work very well. Otherwise set up a bunch of traps before hand and attack her with throwing knives.

Minsc

Gold Member
DenogginizerOS said:
Can someone explain how the DRM for the retail version (disc or non-GoG) differs from the Steam version's DRM (if at all)?

GOG = No DRM
Steam = No DRM (except steam)
Everything else = SecureROM (slows initial load dramatically, lowers framerate on D2D/retail)

Leonsito said:
I think we should try to update the first post becnhmarks with the version each one was using (gog, steam, retail...)

I'm hoping the patch coming out this week makes it all irrelevant, giving a nice fps boost, though that sounds more like something the second or third patch will do (+ new video drivers). Ideally I'd like to push all the info to a second page post to free up the OP and replace it with a sort of organized chart if I get the chance during the week, going backwards from the end of the thread towards the beginning.

Fallout-NL said:

Use Quen to protect yourself before you start attacking and roll away re-apply when it gets knocked off. Also, grapebombs are your best friend. The diagram to make your own can be bought from the elf you met in the tree just outside of town (later in the game he is in the back of this village area).

D3adend

Neo Member
Ok, it was the Catalyst AI for texture filtering in my video card settings. It defaults itself to being on and was the source of all my woes. Thanks Alextended and brotkasten!

And it turns out that the official page did have that written there, sigh for troubleshooting at 4am.

luxarific said:

EternalGamer said:
Use Quen to protect yourself before you start attacking and roll away re-apply when it gets knocked off. Also, grapebombs are your best friend. The diagram to make your own can be bought from the elf you met in the tree just outside of town (later in the game he is in the back of this village area).

Thanks guys, I'll keep this in mind.

ced

I'm sure this has already been asked, but I can't find it and the lack of searching inside a thread sucks.

Anyways...

Using the gamepad is about unplayable for me because of the right stick sensitivity, any way to adjust this? The mouse sensitivity doesn't do anything to it, I need it lowered.

Tokubetsu

Geoff9920 said:
The Endrega Contract:
Also, never attack the Queen head on. If you can get behind her strong attacks to the abdomen work very well. Otherwise set up a bunch of traps before hand and attack her with throwing knives.

As far as queens go as well, Yrden is your best friend here. Their patterns are super easy to read and if you get a yrden crit on her, you can usually lay into her and roll away after she blocks, then place another trap and be ready to go again. You can pretty much fight them in a straight line.

dionysus

Yaldog
I will definitely be installing the crafting item weight reduction mod, the minimap improvement, and the tooltip mod. That removes pretty much all my minor annoyances I have with the game.

V_Arnold

Grinchy said:
Thank you for the response! I'm more of a framerate whore when it comes to PC games than I am textures (I realize I may be in the minority) so maybe some tweaking of the settings could make this very playable to me.

Out of curiosity, what resolution do you run at?

1440*900

ced said:
I'm sure this has already been asked, but I can't find it and the lack of searching inside a thread sucks.

Anyways...

Using the gamepad is about unplayable for me because of the right stick sensitivity, any way to adjust this? The mouse sensitivity doesn't do anything to it, I need it lowered.

I had this problem at first too but I lowered mouse sensitivity all the way and after a short period of time, my hand eye cordination adjusted appropriately. It just means you don't press it as hard and as fast as you do when using the camera in traditional console games. Trust me, you won't even notice it after an hour or so. You'll learn to automatically compensate and just go easier on the stick.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would actually like to try this with the GOG exes. Anyone have a link?

Salaadin

Minsc said:
I'm hoping the patch coming out this week makes it all irrelevant, giving a nice fps boost, though that sounds more like something the second or third patch will do (+ new video drivers). Ideally I'd like to push all the info to a second page post to free up the OP and replace it with a sort of organized chart if I get the chance during the week, going backwards from the end of the thread towards the beginning.

What about a google docs spreadsheet where people can add the info in themselves?
Just did this up all quick and sloppy so the choices are probably all wrong but:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...mkey=dGpYVHFmZFZ3MGNERV9jazNwaHo1d1E6MQ#gid=0

and then the info gets filled in here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...MGNERV9jazNwaHo1d1E&hl=en_US&authkey=CJ-YiOkF

All the options makes the spreadsheet long and jumbled though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
What about a google docs spreadsheet where people can add the info in themselves?
Just did this up all quick and sloppy so the choices are probably all wrong but:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...mkey=dGpYVHFmZFZ3MGNERV9jazNwaHo1d1E6MQ#gid=0

and then the info gets filled in here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...MGNERV9jazNwaHo1d1E&hl=en_US&authkey=CJ-YiOkF

All the options makes the spreadsheet long and jumbled though.

That should work, thanks. When I get a chance I'll try to migrate the info from this thread to there.

I re-organized the OP a little more, and I'll be able to clean it up further with that spreadsheet, plus other people can update it once it gets going.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
That should work, thanks. When I get a chance I'll try to migrate the info from this thread to there.

I re-organized the OP a little more, and I'll be able to clean it up further with that spreadsheet, plus other people can update it once it gets going.

Ill run down that form tonight and compare it to the config and make sure I have all the options right.

Ultrabum

D3adend said:
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/eCqlw.jpg[/IMG

Using ATI 6850 -1024 MB

As a 6850 owner, this makes me sad :(. I was looking forward to this game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ultrabum said:
As a 6850 owner, this makes me sad :(. I was looking forward to this game.
D3adend said:
Ok, it was the Catalyst AI for texture filtering in my video card settings. It defaults itself to being on and was the source of all my woes. Thanks Alextended and brotkasten! And it turns out that the official page did have that written there, sigh for troubleshooting at 4am.

Top Bottom