• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BoobPhysics101 said:
You can still use the patches and DLC with the GOG version. You can just switch back to retail, update, then get an updated GOG version.
How is that? I update with retail and it auto DL's the GOG exe? Or would it update in-game and not in that splash screen that configures the game?

BoobPhysics101 said:
You can still use the patches and DLC with the GOG version. You can just switch back to retail, update, then get an updated GOG version.

Load times difference between DRM and non-DRM

With DRM: 48 seconds from the time I hit start game to when it actually gets to the opening movies

Without DRM: 6 seconds

You can measure it yourself in my comparison video. And that's with a fast SSD.

Makes me even more glad that canceled my Steam pre-order and got it on GOG.

I originally only did it because of the pre-load and I wanted to play it early.

LiquidMetal14 said:
How is that? I update with retail and it auto DL's the GOG exe? Or would it update in-game and not in that splash screen that configures the game?

No, I think he means you wait for someone to post an updated GOG exe.

But maybe the patch will fix this issue anyway.

Regardless, it is a possible work around.

LiquidMetal14 said:

I'm not sure if it'll even check your .exe's, but if it does:

Just keep a back up of your regular .exe's, and whenever a patch is released switch back to those and update. Then just download an updated GOG exe and dll. Pretty easy.

They'll be taking out the DRM anyways, and probably much sooner now that the performance hit has been exposed. I should go send them some emails with links to this thread.

Akkad said:
My D2D version takes 45 seconds to start, FUCK!

I'll just play LA NOIRE until this bullshit is fixed.

Read the thread, it's already been fixed.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I'm not sure if it'll even check your .exe's, but if it does:

Just keep a back up of your regular .exe's, and whenever a patch is released switch back to those and update. Then just download an updated GOG exe and dll. Pretty easy.

They'll be taking out the DRM anyways, and probably much sooner now that the performance hit has been exposed. I should go send them some emails with links to this thread.

Read the thread, it's already been fixed.

I had forgotten that they said they planned on removing the DRM at a certain point.

TheExodu5

Banned
EternalGamer said:
Makes me even more glad that canceled my Steam pre-order and got it on GOG.

I originally only did it because of the pre-load and I wanted to play it early.

The Steam version is fine.

Loading times: Steam version loads in less than 2 seconds for me. Honestly, I've never seen any game load this fast in my life...this isn't even off my SSD.

xXJonoXx

xXJonoXx said:
I'm playing 1920x1080p at High Settings on a GTX 460 with my FPS capped at 30 and my GPU with the fan at 100% is playing at about 86-90c temps with great cooling in my case.

Either there is something seriously wrong with my card (it has never been this hot playing a game before) or this game really does push it to the limit. Either way it makes me scared for it.

I fixed my high temps problem. I went out today and bought a 560TI 1GB MSI Twin Frozr II OC'ed and the highest my temps get on this card with not a single thing changed but the card itself is... 61c @ 99% usage. I also am averaging 50fps in the beginning scenes where the other card I was capping it at 30fps.

Dual fans with a good heat sink on your video card makes a world of difference. Now to sell this 460 and get most of my money back....

EternalGamer said:
The last six posters to post comparisons seems to indicate that there maybe a substantial difference in performance.

Steam version doesn't appear to use SecuROM. The versions affected are Direct2Drive and retail. GOG and Steam users shouldn't have any issues

Chiggs said:
I can't wait for the patch to come out; speculation and theories will run rampant!
Between patches and drivers there is a lot of performance to be gained yet, especially since it's a brand new engine.

Chiggs

Gold Member
MickeyKnox said:
Between patches and drivers there is a lot of performance to be gained yet, especially since it's a brand new engine.

Yeah, I'm really hoping for some good increases from AMD's hotfix. Still, I haven't been displeased by the performance I'm getting on my 6950 (flashed). One exception would be the indoors stuff in Vergen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
EternalGamer said:

That's what I was thinking.

Hawk269

BoobPhysics101 said:
I don't know how to put this politely so I'll just be blunt:

FUCK DRM!!!!!!!!!!

90% of my performance issues and EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD who has had major issues with performance and that have tried to resolve their issues with the help of many others (including myself) got fucked because if you didn't buy the GOG version, DRM is fucking your performance straight up the ass.

Switching to the GOG exe gave me an instant 10-12 FPS boost in every area I've been in.

As soon as I replaced the exe's and loaded up the games with FRAPS... bam, huge FPS boost.

All the tweaking and experimenting I've done to help myself and others was in vain because I bought the DRM-plagued version of the game.

If you didn't buy the GOG version, you got fucked. Go replace your exe with the GOG exe and get the performance you deserve because CD Projekt Red, Steam, Direct2Drive, retail, and Securom gave you the middle finger.

This totally explains why some people had great performance and some had much worse performance even with the same hardware or similar specs. Holy fucking shit. It all came down to a simple choice of who you got it from.

I am so disgusted right now.

You know, I spent more time fucking with settings, tweaking, trying everything under the sun to get the game to work nice with my SLI set up and if it comes down to DRM issues cause I decided to spend $130 on the collectors edition, I am going to be very pissed off. I know there is more to it that just DRM, but if the DRM is causing alot of the issues this will be a pisser to me.

I know some on here have said I have been bitching alot, but fuck I have 4.5 Sandy Bridge and 2 580's in SLI and I really beleive my rig and others like it should be able to run this game at 60fps in UBER without a problem. I know there is an SLI issue since I get without UBER 55-60fps regardless if I use SLI or NON SLI. While the readings say it is using both cards, it is not using them properly cause I can take one card out and get the same FPS as I do with both.

So, again if DRM is impacting this, it will be a real pisser. I have been fucking with the game settings more than playing the game...and I know some will say I may be a FPS bitch or that I am expecting too much to want UBER 60fps, but fuck em, why not want that expectation..I invested enough into this rig to get that performance and when a game run the same in SLI and NON SLI, then there is something wrong...be that DRM, Developer's lack of optimization, Drivers, SLI Profile, I just want this fucking game running the best it can be.

Hawk269 said:
You know, I spent more time fucking with settings, tweaking, trying everything under the sun to get the game to work nice with my SLI set up and if it comes down to DRM issues cause I decided to spend $130 on the collectors edition, I am going to be very pissed off. I know there is more to it that just DRM, but if the DRM is causing alot of the issues this will be a pisser to me.

I know some on here have said I have been bitching alot, but fuck I have 4.5 Sandy Bridge and 2 580's in SLI and I really beleive my rig and others like it should be able to run this game at 60fps in UBER without a problem. I know there is an SLI issue since I get without UBER 55-60fps regardless if I use SLI or NON SLI. While the readings say it is using both cards, it is not using them properly cause I can take one card out and get the same FPS as I do with both.

So, again if DRM is impacting this, it will be a real pisser. I have been fucking with the game settings more than playing the game...and I know some will say I may be a FPS bitch or that I am expecting too much to want UBER 60fps, but fuck em, why not want that expectation..I invested enough into this rig to get that performance and when a game run the same in SLI and NON SLI, then there is something wrong...be that DRM, Developer's lack of optimization, Drivers, SLI Profile, I just want this fucking game running the best it can be.

Replace your retail exe and dll with the GOG versions. I'll send them to you if you can't find them.

Disable SLI profiles you have set. Supposedly removing the DRM fixes SLI issues and the game will work properly with SLI.

EternalGamer said:

3dguru forums ATI Drivers section CAT epic fail witcher thread last page has instructions and an .EXE you can download .

Delete the paul.dll and save your old exe in a safe spot.. then replace and enjoy the game.

epmode

Hawk269 said:
If there's one company that will do everything in its power to correct DRM situations like this, it's CD Projekt.

In the meantime, just download the two GOG files.

edit: Fixed. THANX BOOB PHYSICS

Ok, just as I suspected, Motion Blur is what was causing the FPS drops when the camera swings around as seen in my video.

Once I disabled motion blur, doing the same run that I did in the video, my FPS stayed at 35-40 FPS constant.

Anyone that does the .exe no-DRM fix, disable Motion Blur (and DOF - Gameplay, SSAO, and Antialiasing) to maximize your gains if you're still seeing low FPS. The gains when turning the camera were 5-10 FPS with Motion Blur disabled vs on.

Almost makes me want to re-record the video with the higher FPS.

epmode said:
If there's one company that will do everything in its power to correct DRM situations like this, it's CD Projekt.

In the meantime, just download the two retail files.

You mean the GOG files. The retail files are the fucked up ones.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
So even with the GOG .exe I get around 25-30 FPS on low specs and 960x600 res. Anything else I could do to bump up my FPS?

epmode

If you have an Nvidia card, I'd suggest doing a clean install of the latest beta drivers, taking care to leave out the 3D software.

Otherwise, replace some hardware.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
If you have an Nvidia card, I'd suggest doing a clean install of the latest beta drivers, taking care to leave out the 3D software.

Otherwise, replace some hardware.
Thanks bro.

Benson

Wow this DRM stuff is bullshit! I always thought my retail copy took an age to boot so just out of curiosity I downloaded the gog exe and it loaded instantaneously. Once again the honest user is screwed over by DRM.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My framerate is great most of the time, but I wouldn't mind a boost if it's possible. I'll wait for the patch to see how it fixes things before replacing my exe (especially if it's really hitting this coming week as CDPR has said)

WEGGLES

Just did a quick check.

Retail DVD version:

GOG version:

Start up times were quite different too.
Retail - 35 seconds
GOG - 6 seconds

This is on a system with i5 750 OC @ 3.7GHz ATI 5850 1GB and 4GB DDR3 Memory

EDIT:

Ran the FRAPS "Benchmark" tool while doing a run from the dock, to a city gate through the door and up to another. Figure that was a decent "stretch". I'd be by water, pass npcs and it would load in a new area.

Retail:
Frames - 1588
Time (ms) - 34097
Min - 33
Max - 62
Avg - 46.573

GOG:
Frames - 1941
Time (ms) - 37325
Min - 39
Max - 61
Avg - 52

While not earth shattering by any means. a 6FPS bump and 1/5th the launch time? I'll take it.

Hawk269

Well Holy Shit....It does work!

So for the naysayers, the Gog.exe version does do 2 things. A) It loads up way faster B) Frame Rate does improve. Here is my testing:

System: Sandy Bridge 4.5 2600k, 2x580 in SLI, 8 Gigs Ram, Win 64

Game Settings: Everything set to the highest possible setting, Uber is OFF. Playing at 1080p.

Test Enviroment/Area: Using Fraps and MSI Afterburner to test FPS, temps/GPU Usage. Area of game is the camp site from the prologue of the game. I usuall run from the tent, around the camp, up the hill to the King and then run back to the tent to see where the frame rate goes.

So first off, SLI still does not do too much. My tests I just ran I ran them with SLI on and SLI off. Yes, SLI is better, but not too much. I also did an UBER test and confirmed that it did not help much at all. The difference in SLI vs NON-SLI in Uber is about 2-3 FPS, SLI vs. Non SLI with NO UBER is about 5-8FPS or so. Uber ultimately runs at around 25FPS. About a day or so when I tried the Nvidia Inspector Profile with the Bit change Uber did run around 35 fps, so there is still an issue with SLI and the Drivers/Profile etc plus it gave the light bleeding. In short, SLI only gives around a 5% performance boost or so, which it should be doing way more than that in uber mode.

So onto the DRM vs. Non DRM. In the Camp site under the DRM version, I would get around 54-60fps, with occasional drops to around 45 or so. Depending on where I was running in the camp, it would drop. If I was standing at the top of the small hill right before you talk to the King and I would run down the hill and back into the camp, I would go from standing still on the top at a rock solid 60fps and then down to about 48 or so as I ran through the camp with it spiking up to around 50-55 at times and just fluctuating to as low as 45 up to as high as 60fps.

With the Non-DRM version? ROCK SOLID 60FPS. The only time it dipped was after I restarted and was first running up the hill to the king and the game was streaming the data in, that is it. Outside of that small drop, a fucking SOLID, SOLID 60 FPS. One area where I could always make it drop to 44-45 in the DRM version was running to the back of the camp where you can see the full back drop and below in an area the soldiers talking and walking around. With the Non DRM version, this was rock solid 60fps. I made it drop to 59, standing in one place on that area I mentioned where it would drop and I just let the camera spin and it would fluctuate 59-60, but that is it.

In testing NON-SLI, I get around 55fps, with some drops into 50 or so. So SLI does improve, but not your typical SLI that games that have good profiles/SLI profiles provide. So there is still room for improvement with game optimization, mature drivers and better profiles. I still beleive that 60fps in UBER is possible once everything gets ironed out. I do find it odd that UBER even in SLI, I get no improvement between DRM and NON-DRM, it is the same.

As far as GPU load, I did notice that the GPU were getting about 10% more use than the DRM version. In SLI, I averaged in DRM version around 45-50% usage, with the Non dRM I get around 60% usage. In Non SLI, only using 1 card I get 98% usage in both UBER and NON UBER mode and as mentioned above, there is only a 10% improvement in SLI...but that 10% in NON-UBER achieved my want of SOLID 60FPS!!!

Well, I am tired and need to go to bed, but I am much happier right now. That I am getting a solid 60fps with everything maxed. Next up is Uber at 60fps! lol

Hawk269 said:
Well Holy Shit....It does work!

So for the naysayers, the Gog.exe version does do 2 things. A) It loads up way faster B) Frame Rate does improve. Here is my testing:

System: Sandy Bridge 4.5 2600k, 2x580 in SLI, 8 Gigs Ram, Win 64

Game Settings: Everything set to the highest possible setting, Uber is OFF. Playing at 1080p.

Test Enviroment/Area: Using Fraps and MSI Afterburner to test FPS, temps/GPU Usage. Area of game is the camp site from the prologue of the game. I usuall run from the tent, around the camp, up the hill to the King and then run back to the tent to see where the frame rate goes.

So first off, SLI still does not do too much. My tests I just ran I ran them with SLI on and SLI off. Yes, SLI is better, but not too much. I also did an UBER test and confirmed that it did not help much at all. The difference in SLI vs NON-SLI in Uber is about 2-3 FPS, SLI vs. Non SLI with NO UBER is about 5-8FPS or so. Uber ultimately runs at around 25FPS. About a day or so when I tried the Nvidia Inspector Profile with the Bit change Uber did run around 35 fps, so there is still an issue with SLI and the Drivers/Profile etc plus it gave the light bleeding. In short, SLI only gives around a 5% performance boost or so, which it should be doing way more than that in uber mode.

So onto the DRM vs. Non DRM. In the Camp site under the DRM version, I would get around 54-60fps, with occasional drops to around 45 or so. Depending on where I was running in the camp, it would drop. If I was standing at the top of the small hill right before you talk to the King and I would run down the hill and back into the camp, I would go from standing still on the top at a rock solid 60fps and then down to about 48 or so as I ran through the camp with it spiking up to around 50-55 at times and just fluctuating to as low as 45 up to as high as 60fps.

With the Non-DRM version? ROCK SOLID 60FPS. The only time it dipped was after I restarted and was first running up the hill to the king and the game was streaming the data in, that is it. Outside of that small drop, a fucking SOLID, SOLID 60 FPS. One area where I could always make it drop to 44-45 in the DRM version was running to the back of the camp where you can see the full back drop and below in an area the soldiers talking and walking around. With the Non DRM version, this was rock solid 60fps. I made it drop to 59, standing in one place on that area I mentioned where it would drop and I just let the camera spin and it would fluctuate 59-60, but that is it.

In testing NON-SLI, I get around 55fps, with some drops into 50 or so. So SLI does improve, but not your typical SLI that games that have good profiles/SLI profiles provide. So there is still room for improvement with game optimization, mature drivers and better profiles. I still beleive that 60fps in UBER is possible once everything gets ironed out. I do find it odd that UBER even in SLI, I get no improvement between DRM and NON-DRM, it is the same.

As far as GPU load, I did notice that the GPU were getting about 10% more use than the DRM version. In SLI, I averaged in DRM version around 45-50% usage, with the Non dRM I get around 60% usage. In Non SLI, only using 1 card I get 98% usage in both UBER and NON UBER mode and as mentioned above, there is only a 10% improvement in SLI...but that 10% in NON-UBER achieved my want of SOLID 60FPS!!!

Well, I am tired and need to go to bed, but I am much happier right now. That I am getting a solid 60fps with everything maxed. Next up is Uber at 60fps! lol

This may solve the FPS drop when streaming textures + make the game look even better:

In your User.ini in My Documents/Witcher 2/Config, change it so that the following settings look like this:

FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 <--- Change to 1500 if you have the 3GB GTX 580
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

At least change TextureMemoryBudget to 1000. The other stuff is optional.

Wag

Thanks. With the GoG exe the game is actually playable on my 3 unlocked tri-crossfire 6950s @ 2560x1440.

Hawk269

BoobPhysics101 said:
This may solve the FPS drop when streaming textures + make the game look even better:

In your User.ini in My Documents/Witcher 2/Config, change it so that the following settings look like this:

FoliageDistanceScale=1.1
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=1024
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=1024
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.3
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1000 <--- Change to 1500 if you have the 3GB GTX 580
TextureTimeBudget=10
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

At least change TextureMemoryBudget to 1000. The other stuff is optional.

What does that stuff do outside of the in-game settings? I have not tried it yet, need to get to bed, so just wondering what changing those things will achieve me?

BTW..Thanks again man. Appreciate this.

One last question...When the patch comes out this week, do I need to put the original exe back into the folder or can I leave the gog one and not have issues? I just dont want to fuck anything up with updates and my DLC.

_Xenon_

Banned
Does this GOG.exe trick work for low/middle end cards such as ATI HD 5370?

I don't really care about the startup time (40+ seconds here but I don't really care) but the fps boost is really tempting.

WEGGLES

_Xenon_ said:
Does this GOG.exe trick work for low/middle end cards such as ATI HD 5370?

I don't really care about the startup time (40+ seconds here but I don't really care) but the fps boost is really tempting.
Give it a shot. It's SO easy to do.

Just copy/paste in 2 small-ish files.

Jomjom

Banned
Anyone having problems with installing Witcher 2 from the CD? On my laptop the installation just hangs and when I try to copy the files from the CD to my harddrive, it also hangs.

Hawk269 said:
What does that stuff do outside of the in-game settings? I have not tried it yet, need to get to bed, so just wondering what changing those things will achieve me?

BTW..Thanks again man. Appreciate this.

One last question...When the patch comes out this week, do I need to put the original exe back into the folder or can I leave the gog one and not have issues? I just dont want to fuck anything up with updates and my DLC.

That stuff is beyond Ultra, makes foliage and objects appear nicer from a further distance, and gives the game more VRAM to stream stuff into. Shouldn't affect your performance noticeably and should make the game smoother.

About the patch: not sure. You may have to put your old .exe's in and then get updated GOG files. We'll see when the patch comes out.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
TextureMemoryBudget=1000

What should this value ideally be set to for a 1GB Radeon 4890?

I run it set to 600 on my 1 GB 5870M, which is the 'Very Large' setting in the Configurator. Any higher and you may run out of VRAM on a 1GB card.

Wag

With 3 unlocked 6950s I should be able to boost up a lot of the in-game settings. Still, with the Dirt2 config it's only using 2 out of my 3 cards, I just might wait on ATI's new CAP/hotfix before I go back to the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jling84 said:
Anyone having problems with installing Witcher 2 from the CD? On my laptop the installation just hangs and when I try to copy the files from the CD to my harddrive, it also hangs.

The DVDs are likely stuffed. I'd test them on another machine just to be sure.

Right, pending some sort of patch I think I have eked as much improvement out of my PC as possible. My specs again:

Radeon 4890 (no overclock)
3.6GHz dual core
4gb RAM

These are my settings:

witch2inzi.png

I have triple buffer vsync forced through the drivers. I allocated 600mb to texture memory as was suggested (thanks BoobPhysics). Every driver trick is accounted for: AA set to application controlled, optimised AF, forced process to high priority, you name it.

I also swapped out the .exe for the GoG one and deleted paul.dll.

The result? Basically 30fps most of the time now in the forest (locked it in drivers), with some near imperceivable drops to ~28fps.

_Xenon_

Banned
jling84 said:
It's not hanging it's just incredible slow. Took me like 1+ hour to finish.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Right, pending some sort of patch I think I have eked as much improvement out of my PC as possible. My specs again:

Radeon 4890 (no overclock)
3.6GHz dual core
4gb RAM

These are my settings:

witch2inzi.png

I have triple buffer vsync forced through the drivers. I allocated 600mb to texture memory as was suggested (thanks BoobPhysics). Every driver trick is accounted for: AA set to application controlled, optimised AF, forced process to high priority, you name it.

I also swapped out the .exe for the GoG one and deleted paul.dll.

The result? Basically 30fps most of the time now in the forest (locked it in drivers), with some near imperceivable drops to ~28fps.

My advice: unlock your FPS, it isn't helping. Turn off Motion Blur and Antialiasing. This will take your FPS to 30-45 on avg.

My GPU is equivalent to a 5770 (5% slower than a 4890) with a core i7 and my settings are similar. I'm hitting 30-45 fps since the no-DRM fix with no dips below 30.

Turning off Motion Blur and AA gives me a 7-12 avg fps boost

Also, overclock your GPU if you haven't already. Add another 50-100 mhz to your core and 100-200 to your RAM for a 2-4 fps boost.

verbatimo

BoobPhysics101 said:
Replace your retail exe and dll with the GOG versions. I'll send them to you if you can't find them.

Disable SLI profiles you have set. Supposedly removing the DRM fixes SLI issues and the game will work properly with SLI.

I have also DRM-version of the game. Can you send the files to me also. The megaupload link doesn't seem to be working.

Jomjom

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
It's not hanging it's just incredible slow. Took me like 1+ hour to finish.

No my hangs for a really long time and then eventually I get some error. I can't remember what the error is called at the moment.

I have a 2.8ghz i5 quad core, 5870 1gb graphics card and 4th ram I can't get past 29 FPS on high with SSAO off. What gives? Also I'm using direct 9 does going to 10 improve performance? I'm a noob sorry.

Top Bottom