• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

K.Jack said:
I just wish Sandy Bridge wasn't locked out of ThrottleStop. Unclewebb says there's nothing he can do about it.

Well, the 6970M is close to 50% faster than the 5870M.

I'm running it on the 1080p Ultra preset, these settings:

tw2-cfg.png

I get occasional drops below 30fps, but it's worth it.

Could you post any screens of how it looks on this setting? Also, any improvements with the GOG stuff?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
diztrukted said:
question, are the servers down because i can't seem to register the pre order dlc

Might be a CRC issue. Apparently the patch will address this. If you search the Witcher 2 forums at the developer site, you can find a link to the DLC that some kind user has posted. You just need to copy the downloaded files into the "CookedPC" folder and the DLC will show up on the quest board in Flotsom.

luxarific said:
Might be a CRC issue. Apparently the patch will address this. If you search the Witcher 2 forums at the developer site, you can find a link to the DLC that some kind user has posted. You just need to copy the downloaded files into the "CookedPC" folder and the DLC will show up on the quest board in Flotsom.

ok thanks, I'm assuming that's troll trouble. I was wondering about that stuff that came with the game on the leaflets (roche commando jacket for example). The codes don't seem to work. I'll head over to the dev forum for more info

Binabik15

spermatic cord said:
Do you mind sending me them too? Thanks

I asked earlier today, must´ve gotten lost ;_;

luxarific said:

Quoting myself from the OT

Binabik15 said:
How am I supposed to get Troll trouble?

After install my retail version went on to a registering page. Okay. DLC option still greyed out. Their website tells me that I need to register with them using the launcher. Okay.

I select create an account but I can´t type anything! And copying in text doesn´t work, either! Great. I go over to thewitcher.com and there´s a register/login fielc in the upper right corner. Yes! Oh, wait, they´re unclickable (for me). I´m sooo happy.

Help me, mighty GAF.

Any help for that problem? The guys in the OT are to busy talking spoiler it seems :/

scy

Binabik15 said:
Quoting myself from the OT

Any help for that problem? The guys in the OT are to busy talking spoiler it seems :/

If all else fails, the DLC _is_ free so all you really need is the .dzip file to get it to run.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Thanks for the PMs, weggles and others who PMed me with the files.

Tried the new exe and dll and....WOW. Marked difference. I loaded up Vergen and Flotsam, and there's serious framerate improvement. Chapter 3 is running at like, 70 FPS now.

This is kind of sad, to be honest.

WEGGLES

thetrin said:
Thanks for the PMs, weggles and others who PMed me with the files.

Tried the new exe and dll and....WOW. Marked difference. I loaded up Vergen and Flotsam, and there's serious framerate improvement. Chapter 3 is running at like, 70 FPS now.

This is kind of sad, to be honest.
Indeed. I didn't think it would be this big of a difference. While I only gained an avg of 6fps, the fact that the min FPS jumped for me was good. And the whole not taking 35 seconds to launch is nice.

They said they intend to remove DRM with a patch. Hope that happens soon for anyone who might not know about this stuff.

epmode

Binabik15 said:

I was able to create an account through the launcher just fine. If you're trying to type and it's just not working, I'd try the GOG forums or send an email to the support guys.

The buttons on the Witcher website are grayed out for everyone, by the way.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
BoobPhysics101 said:
Texture Memory Size budget limit is 600 MB when set to Very Large. That's pretty conservative especially with the amount of VRAM some cards have.
Interesting. And here I thought Very Large was utilizing the majority of my 2GB of VRAM.

I think I should be safe with the 1500 setting. I might even try as high as 1750.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
WEGGLES said:
Indeed. I didn't think it would be this big of a difference. While I only gained an avg of 6fps, the fact that the min FPS jumped for me was good. And the whole not taking 35 seconds to launch is nice.

They said they intend to remove DRM with a patch. Hope that happens soon for anyone who might not know about this stuff.
I do remember CDPR saying that. I wish they could have bit the bullet and sold the retail versions with no DRM. I'm sure Atari put pressure on them to include SecuROM.

Minsc

Gold Member
Patch should be out soon:

Waiting for the patch - updating the servers
May 23, 2011, 5:42 p.m.

We are currently updating the servers and preparing for the incoming patch release. We will be posting updates on this issue.
UPDATE: The servers are up but we predict another downtime today. It shouldn't take more than an hour and we will inform about it.

Salaadin said:
Ill run down that form tonight and compare it to the config and make sure I have all the options right.

On second thought, it may be more trouble than it's worth. The bulk of the initial day 1 buyers are gone, so there's a bit less interest now. It's nice having all the results, so people can find systems similar to their own and see what to expect, but I think what's even better is a semi-simplified, accessible grid where people can look up some sort of ballpark performance for the different settings without it being too much trouble.

Binabik15

Thanks, WEGGLES.

About the troll, well, I did watch Jack Sparrow´s newest adventure yesterday. I guess I´ll do sidequest stuff today and if the patch isn´t up tomorrow and lets me dl it, I´ll search for a bottle of rum.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
On second thought, it may be more trouble than it's worth. The bulk of the initial day 1 buyers are gone, so there's a bit less interest now. It's nice having all the results, so people can find systems similar to their own and see what to expect, but I think what's even better is a semi-simplified, accessible grid where people can look up some sort of ballpark performance for the different settings without it being too much trouble.

True, that is a better idea.

Good news about the patch. When they said "next week", I prepared for later on in the week. Sounds like it might hit early...maybe even today or tomorrow.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I think the question mark in the topic title should be removed, I think it's established that the DRM does hurt performance. I can't wait for some official statement regarding this but it wouldn't surprise me if they ignored the problem.

Edit: Dunno if this has been posted but:
platinum.png

So they seem to be aware of it at least :)

BoobPhysics101 said:
My advice: unlock your FPS, it isn't helping. Turn off Motion Blur and Antialiasing. This will take your FPS to 30-45 on avg.

My GPU is equivalent to a 5770 (5% slower than a 4890) with a core i7 and my settings are similar. I'm hitting 30-45 fps since the no-DRM fix with no dips below 30.

Turning off Motion Blur and AA gives me a 7-12 avg fps boost

Also, overclock your GPU if you haven't already. Add another 50-100 mhz to your core and 100-200 to your RAM for a 2-4 fps boost.

If I unlock the FPS, then the dips become more pronounced (dropping from 40fps to 28fps is so much more noticeable than 30 > 28).

You are likely getting better performance because of your i7 - I have just a dual core remember, which this game doesn't like as much.

The game also looks like ass without AA and motion blur imo.

Tokubetsu

I NEED SCISSORS said:
If I unlock the FPS, then the dips become more pronounced (dropping from 40fps to 28fps is so much more noticeable than 30 > 28).

You are likely getting better performance because of your i7 - I have just a dual core remember, which this game doesn't like as much.

The game also looks like ass without AA and motion blur imo.

The motion blur makes me a bit sick. It's too pronounced. Still waiting on amd drivers to continue my second playthrough.

K.Jack

The motion blur is too much, for me. They need to add a Crysis-like slider.

The main thing I want added, in the patch, is for the graphics settings to be added into the game.

Quitting then relaunching just to test settings is too cumbersome.
nelsonroyale said:
Could you post any screens of how it looks on this setting? Also, any improvements with the GOG stuff?
Will do, later.

All the GOG file did for me, was make the initial load time faster.

Akkad

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Uhm, guys, Avira found a virus in the .dll zip file. Is this a false positive?

Agh, fuck DRM. Fuck it right up its bloody arse.

Yes, it's a false positive, however you should have just downloaded the first one, NOT the skidrow release.

K.Jack said:

The main thing I want added, in the patch, is for the graphics settings to be added into the game.

Will do, later.

Did you delete the Paul.dll?

K.Jack said:

Will do, later.

Cheers man. Thats hardly a small thing though, one of the biggest problem with the original game was the load times. Gave me flash backs to Commodore 64 days

(._.)

Banned
3.16 C2D
gtx 260

Damn, so I guess I will be needing to do some upgrading for this. I can play it on high at like 20-25 fps. Looks alright but I want the ultra 60 fps. Does uber really make it look amazingly better? I just wanna un this game all maxed out at 60 fps.

What are some of the best cards and processors on the market today? I wanna max this game!

TheExodu5

Banned
K.Jack said:

The motion blur blends two consecutive frames. The farther apart the frames, the more blur is applied. That means it will look a lot better with a higher framerate.

mileS

longdi said:
does it really work? after editing the ini, my launcher settings drop to very small.

Yea the same thing happened for me. I really don't think this is a setting you can just play with like that. (Texture Memory). Anyways last I heard it isn't a good idea to set the Texture Memory over the "high" setting unless you have 2gb of ram on your card.

Can we please get the other people that have changed this in the file to check the presets afterwards?

Easy_D said:
I think the question mark in the topic title should be removed, I think it's established that the DRM does hurt performance. I can't wait for some official statement regarding this but it wouldn't surprise me if they ignored the problem.

Edit: Dunno if this has been posted but:
platinum.png

So they seem to be aware of it at least :)

Haha, that is pretty great of them.

Does this fix only apply to retail customers? Is the Steam version already set, or can that be improved too? I have only seen Retail->GOG comparison so far.

knitoe

mileS said:
Yea the same thing happened for me. I really don't think this is a setting you can just play with like that. (Texture Memory). Anyways last I heard it isn't a good idea to set the Texture Memory over the "high" setting unless you have 2gb of ram on your card.

Can we please get the other people that have changed this in the file to check the presets afterwards?
With CF 6970, I tried 1500 and 2000. Notice no change in fps. When, I went back and look at the configuration preset window, it too was set at "Very Small". Maybe, that explain why some people getting better performance.

K.Jack

mileS said:

After changing the settings, my TMS went down to Very Small, and LOD dropped to Very Near.

I launched the game, then quit and rechecked the .ini, and it is now:

TextureMemoryBudget=100
MeshDistanceScale=0.5

The tweak does not work. Everything else in the config reverted back to normal as well.

K.Jack said:
After changing the settings, my TMS went down to Very Small, and LOD dropped to Very Near.

I launched the game, then quit and rechecked the .ini, and it is now:

TextureMemoryBudget=100
MeshDistanceScale=0.5

The tweak does not work. Everything else in the config reverted back to normal as well.

I got that too but I just changed it back to 600 and it saved it fine without affecting other settings.

Game is running beautifully at last, not even a minor hick-up.

TheExodu5

Banned
How About No said:
Haha, that is pretty great of them.

Does this fix only apply to retail customers? Is the Steam version already set, or can that be improved too? I have only seen Retail->GOG comparison so far.

Yeah, CD Projekt are cool guys. Securom was a bone headed decision by Atari. Shame, as it's really going to hurt CD Projekt's reputation if they can't rectify it.

Aurarian

A bit ot but I got no reply in the other thread. I'm not able to activate the game at the moment. Is that due to the patch/server updating they're supposedly doing now?

BeeDog

Aurarian said:
A bit ot but I got no reply in the other thread. I'm not able to activate the game at the moment. Is that due to the patch/server updating they're supposedly doing now?

I assume the process is like this:

You have just installed the game, and are trying to start it. An activation window pops up where you have to enter your serial number pops up, and when you write it in and press the button, it says "contacting server" or something similar, then shuts down?

Then it's the same issue I'm having, and I assume it's because everything surrounding the game Launcher is tied to their shitty-ass servers; it hasn't worked reliably for several days, and I had to restart the game like 10 times before it would proceed to the actual patching/activation process.

I seriously haven't encountered a more infuriating configuration launcher EVER, and I have been dealing "nicely" with New Vegas' broken-ass launcher that crashes all the time.

WEGGLES

Binabik15 said:
Uhm, guys, Avira found a virus in the .dll zip file. Is this a false positive?

Agh, fuck DRM. Fuck it right up its bloody arse.
I checked it with Microsoft Security Essentials with no red flags.

Aurarian

BeeDog said:
I assume the process is like this:

You have just installed the game, and are trying to start it. An activation window pops up where you have to enter your serial number pops up, and when you write it in and press the button, it says "contacting server" or something similar, then shuts down?

Exactly. I just wanted to see how the game would run on my rig with the fix(I bought retail day one). Guess I'll have to wait till the patch/servers are finally implemented.

I'm really happy with the games performance on my machine.

Fortunately, I dislike what both SSAO and the blur options do to the image. So turning them off as an image improvement IMO.

I'm getting 60fps in town (vsync) and upper 40s when out in the forest or in some interior locations.

1920x1080
2500k @ 4.4Ghz
6950 2GB w/ 6970 clocks and shaders

The following settings:
http://i.imgur.com/LsDYF.jpg

K.Jack

DaFish said:
So am I correct in saying using the GoG .exe for a Steam version will have no affect on Frame Rate?
I've had no framerate improvement, but the first loading of a save went from 30 secs, to around 11 secs.

One negative is that the Launcher now takes 2 or 3 times as long, to pop up. Weird.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I got that too but I just changed it back to 600 and it saved it fine without affecting other settings.

Game is running beautifully at last, not even a minor hick-up.
I'm just saying that modifying settings like MaxSpotShadowSize and MeshDistanceScale will only have them revert to the default numbers, after the game launches..

Manager

FreakinSyco said:
I'm really happy with the games performance on my machine.

Fortunately, I dislike what both SSAO and the blur options do to the image. So turning them off as an image improvement IMO.

I'm getting 60fps in town (vsync) and upper 40s when out in the forest or in some interior locations.

1920x1080
2500k @ 4.4Ghz
6950 2GB w/ 6970 clocks and shaders

The following settings:
http://i.imgur.com/LsDYF.jpg

I have similar specs (weaker CPU), why not have more HQ shadows? My old Quad @ 3.4ghz and 6950 non-clocked can handle that fine. I agree on blur, much better without (also disabled Bloom).

teiresias

DaFish said:
So am I correct in saying using the GoG .exe for a Steam version will have no affect on Frame Rate?

I don't know. I could swear my GPU utilization looked alot better on my SLI rig with the GoG exe compared to the Steam exe, but may have just been placebo. I can check that more closely tonight maybe.

Top Bottom