• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Truant

Fuuuu, started Steam and was reaaaalllll speed mode engaged to disable Auto Updating in this game, but it started updating just as I clicked it. Now the game won't launch until I finish downloading the entire game again.

Kyaw

Sutton Dagger said:
Anyone played Witcher 2 on the 27" imac yet? I'm getting this game in the next month or so and just wondering how it will run.

Depends on which model. The highest one with 6970m will get the game running at about 30fps with high and some settings disabled. The lower end model will be semi-smooth at medium. I'm guesstimating though.

Kyaw said:
Depends on which model. The highest one with 6970m will get the game running at about 30fps with high and some settings disabled. The lower end model will be semi-smooth at medium. I'm guesstimating though.

Sounds decent. Yeah the i7 with 6970m.

Kyaw said:

Not really. 6970m will handle Witcher 2 @ Ultra at 40-50~ FPS @ 1080p. It's as fast (and sometimes faster) than a 460 GTX.

Kyaw said:
Seriously? That's good then!

Why do you think I bought an M17x R3 and am selling my 5870m-equipped G73? :p I've no love for Alienware and much love for Asus, but the 6970m is a beast of a mobile card, especially combined with Sandy Bridge. It's basically a desktop 6850. Hell, even the 5870m plays Witcher 2 on High @ 30-40+ FPS.

Expect your Witcher 2 performance to keep increasing as patches and new (truly optimized) drivers come out; should make subsequent replays + DLC even more fun to play. :)

Wazzim

Banned
mileS said:
Okay I think i'm happy with my settings now.

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67GHz - 4gig ram - 5850 1gb

Heres whats in my user.ini
[Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=2048
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=800
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=0
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0

There's not much of a difference performance wise from Ultra to High for me. Overall I have to say "MeshDistanceScale=2.2" makes a huge difference pop in wise. I've tried even higher values but it didn't work very well. "FoliageDistanceScale=1.6" Is big because I don't notice as much pop-in for grass and what not. If anyone has similar specs to me and is looking for Ultra settings + some performance tweaks should try these I guess.

Thanks again to BoobPhysics101!
Damn this made my FPS jump. Getting 55-60FPS indoors, 40-50 in the forest and 45-60 in town. (460+2500k)

Kyaw

BoobPhysics101 said:
Why do you think I bought an M17x R3 and am selling my 5870m-equipped G73? :p I've no love for Alienware and much love for Asus, but the 6970m is a beast of a mobile card, especially combined with Sandy Bridge. It's basically a desktop 6850. Hell, even the 5870m plays Witcher 2 on High @ 30-40+ FPS.

Expect your Witcher 2 performance to keep increasing as patches and new (truly optimized) drivers come out; should make subsequent replays + DLC even more fun to play. :)

Ah fair enough. Mobile cards are not my area of expertise.
Yeah i want more content, already on my second playthrough. I'll wait for DLC news next week (if there is any) before starting third and final playthrough.

ArjanN

Truant said:
Fuuuu, started Steam and was reaaaalllll speed mode engaged to disable Auto Updating in this game, but it started updating just as I clicked it. Now the game won't launch until I finish downloading the entire game again.

It's not the entire game, just 9 GB. :p

And you should have just disconnected your internet before you started steam.

You want to play it patched anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BoobPhysics101 said:
Ok, there seems to be a lot of confusion about custom user.ini settings so I'm going to do my best to help clear it all up.

The problem with the Witcher 2 custom user.ini's is twofold: first, the configurator is bugged so that it doesn't always set custom settings correctly, retaining old settings (like the max shadow size etc) or even forgetting to completely put in whole variables (it loves to leave the FoliageDistance variable out, which means your grass/foliage distance is at some unknown level.)

When editing your user.ini, it needs to have ALL of these variables in it. If your user.ini doesn't have these in it, you're not adjusting all of the settings!

The premade configs have all of these, but the idiotic configurator loves to leae them out. Keep all of this in mind and make sure your User.ini has all of those variables in it!

Next, if you want to make sure the Configurator doesn't rape your custom made settings, you MUST right click on your user.ini, go to Properties, and set it to Read-Only. Otherwise the game will muck everything up.

Here's some of my suggested configs for different PC's: Medium/High (Performance Focused), High Settings with Balanced IQ/Performance, and Ultra+ for those of you who max out Ultra and want more detail.

For those of you with beefier GPU's and that have at least 1.5GB of VRAM, try this:

Feel free to play with MeshDistanceScale and FoliageDistanceScale to acquire your ideal image quality/performance balance on object LOD and foliage LOD/pop-in.

YMMV with these configs, but a couple of users with higher end PC's have reported increased image quality, FPS, and smoothness with the first config I posted (which was a more tame Ultra+ config). I personally believe CDProjekt Red erred on the side of caution with the stock Ultra config; other than the boneheaded move of enabling Ubersampling, everything is set too low to really take advantage of the increased horsepower the higher end GPU's offer.
Tried your modified ultra config and didn't really take a frame rate hit.

Good stuff. I already had an altered but went even further.

gdt

I'm a little suspicious...Ultra with with SSAO off is totally playable for me (same ish for that Ultra config Boob posted). 25-30 fps (though 31 is the rare max) with some dips into the teens rarely, only tested in the prologue. It's a little weird.

6770m/quad core.

Edit: Hah, tried Uber for the first time. Got me way down in the low teens. ~11-15, 20 is the max.

Edit2: I think I'm gonna stick with Boob's Ultra config for now, if the FPS drops later too much, I'll switch to the high one.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting a lot of slowdowns for half a second each, very noticable while running around or turning the camera. Thing is, yesterday they weren't there :(

Radeon6870, Athlon X4 and 4 Gigs of Ram, ran fine yesterday :/ Damn, that's no fun at all now.

Hell, even if I set it to 'medium' it basically runs like shit. I'm slightly annoyed right now.

Aurarian

Reallink said:
It under clocks when it crashes under stress as a safety precaution. Restarting your computer should fix it. You should be able to go somewhere between 800/1600 and 850/1600 at stock voltage. It takes a lot of prolonged trial an error to find a 100% stable speed if you're trying to push it to the very edge. You'll find a position that works 95% of the time, but still causes the odd random crash. You need to dial it back 5 or 10mhz from that position.

Yeah, I have it about 835-840/1670-1680. Seems to give me a couple of frames more. Now if I only could only make my crappy X4 630 go to 3ghz+ then I might gain a bit more as well.

dak1dsk1 said:
Xbox controller. I can't go back to KB & Mouse.

Controller is PERFECT with a couple of simple adjustments:

1) Swap Left Trigger and Left Bumper so that Left Trigger is lock on and Left Bumper is quick menu.

2) Make D-pad Left next spell and D-pad Right next item; you don't need a individual button for silver or steel sword since you can do this in the quick menu (left bumper) and you don't change swords nearly as often as you change spells and items.

After these two changes, the controls work awesome with a 360 controller.

You do need to keep in mind to use the d -pad in the menus and that the menus work on a strick "Up or down" and "left or right" input basis. Even if a menu looks curved, you just use left or right or up and down to navigate it.

Edgeward

Edgeward said:
How do I go about removing the amd hotfix? I want to see if the patch alone will get me better performances because it's really uneven in spots. Should I just re-install the 11.5 driver?

Re-posting for new page.

Aurarian

En-ou said:
how come some of you have AA off? doesnt the game look like ass with it off?

Probably because either they want the extra frames or they don't like the way it looks. It does look a bit jaggy with it off especially since you can't force AA through NVIDIA Control Panel and I don't know if you can force it through Catalyst as well without getting that white fog on the OP anymore.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
En-ou said:
how come some of you have AA off? doesnt the game look like ass with it off?
How the fuck do you get it to work? Turning it on does NOTHING!

TheExodu5

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Same

Uber set to 0

witcher22011-05-2711-14dxy.png

Uber set to 1

witcher22011-05-2711-16i7q.png

Uber set to 2

witcher22011-05-2711-1ecb0.png

Heck, uber looks slightly blurrier to me in the textures.

That doesn't seem right to me. Uber should make textures look more detailed...that's one of the points of supersampling.

Looking at my shots here:

Uber:
ultimate.jpg

Ultra:
ultra.jpg

The textures are indeed a little blurrier with Ubersampling on...notice the wood grain. However, look at the bricks in the distance, and they're noticeably more detailed with Uber on. Something is very weird here...

Maybe Uber on disables the sharpen filter?

edit: yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it. Look at Geralt's clothes, and how unnaturally sharp the textures seem there. Bad sharpening artifacts, giving the impression of greater detail. With Uber on, you can actually see the grain in his clothing. With Uber off, it's replaced by a bunch of black dots.

knitoe

TheExodu5 said:
That doesn't seem right to me. Uber should make textures look more detailed...that's one of the points of supersampling.

Looking at my shots here:

The textures are indeed a little blurrier with Ubersampling on...notice the wood grain. However, look at the bricks in the distance, and they're noticeably more detailed with Uber on. Something is very weird here...

Maybe Uber on disables the sharpen filter?

edit: yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it. Look at Geralt's clothes, and how unnaturally sharp the textures seem there. Bad sharpening artifacts, giving the impression of greater detail. With Uber on, you can actually see the grain in his clothing. With Uber off, it's replaced by a bunch of black dots.
In user.ini, enable uber = 2 and disable uber = 0. Someone posted on GOG that if you set uber = 1 you get benefit of uber without the performance hit. The person you responded to show that it's not true. I also saw the samething.

LiK

knitoe said:
In user.ini, enable uber = 2 and disable uber = 0. Someone posted on GOG that if you set uber = 1 you get benefit of uber without the performance hit. The person you responded to show that it's not true. I also saw the samething.

i think i'll check that out. so far i have it on Ultra and Uber off and it looks totally fine to me. i still saw incredible detail in the clothing in the real-time cutscenes.

Haint

BoobPhysics101 said:
Not really. 6970m will handle Witcher 2 @ Ultra at 40-50~ FPS @ 1080p. It's as fast (and sometimes faster) than a 460 GTX.

Sounds like I've got a problem then. I don't even pretend to hit 40-50 with an i5 760 @ 3.66 and a 1GB 460 OC'ed up to non-Ti 560 levels (850/1700/2000). Much of the forest dived sub-30 @ 1080p on Ultra with pretty much every option off (uber, blurs, all DoFs)--save for SSAO and AA being on.

Ok, so I finally went to start the game up yesterday, and the entire opening scene is covered in a very thick fog. I Google'd why this might be happening, and it seems to be a Crossfire issue. The thing is I'm only running a single 5750.

So I started messing around with my drivers. Uninstalled my current drivers and installed the 11.5b Hotfix drivers, but that didn't fix anything, so I uninstalled those and installed vanilla 11.5 drivers. I'm still having the issue, so I'm gonna try 11.4 drivers next.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this and/or would fix this?

M.D

makingmusic476 said:
Ok, so I finally went to start the game up yesterday, and the entire opening scene is covered in a very thick fog. I Google'd why this might be happening, and it seems to be a Crossfire issue. The thing is I'm only running a single 5750.

So I started messing around with my drivers. Uninstalled my current drivers and installed the 11.5b Hotfix drivers, but that didn't fix anything, so I uninstalled those and installed vanilla 11.5 drivers. I'm still having the issue, so I'm gonna try 11.4 drivers next.

"Getting really weird fog-like visuals like above? Most likely you are forcing AA in your GPU's drivers, turn AA off in CCC/nVidia. Or maybe Catalyst AI is to blame." - From the OP

Easy_D

never left the stone age
makingmusic476 said:

Don't force AA/AF in Catalyst center.

Hawk269

EternalGamer said:
Works fine. Just use dpad for menus.

Except when in the journal and there is nore text that can fit in the box. With the pre-patch version, you could use the analog stick to scroll down and read the rest of the entry for what you are reading in the journal. With the patch, you can't use the analog sticks, you can navigate up down with the dpad, but you cant scroll down, which for many that want to read teh complete entry in the journal, your shit out luck.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Bufbaf said:
I'm getting a lot of slowdowns for half a second each, very noticable while running around or turning the camera. Thing is, yesterday they weren't there :(

reboot the system and turn off motion blur.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I tried ubersampling. Yes, it REALLY looks better but perfomance cost is too much.

But I'm glad that this option is there.

Reallink said:
Sounds like I've got a problem then. I don't even pretend to hit 40-50 with an i5 760 @ 3.66 and a 1GB 460 OC'ed up to non-Ti 560 levels (850/1700/2000). Much of the forest dived sub-30 @ 1080p on Ultra with pretty much every option off (uber, blurs, all DoFs)--save for SSAO and AA being on.

Turn SSAO and AA off, and turn everything else (sans uber on). Watch your FPS go way up. :)

Honestly, SSAO and AA are the BIGGEST performance hogs out of all the [non-uber] settings (20-40% FPS loss), and they have the worst eye-candy:performance ratio. Turning those off first and enabling everything else usually results in a much better looking, performing game than with other stuff off and those two on.

I have a 1.5GB 460M should I set Texture Size to Very Large or Large?

And I often get flicking on minor items like a tiny portion of hair, or say on the ends of pieces of wood - is this because my texture memory isnt enough for my setting? Its usually not a big deal, just odd.

Top Bottom