• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
also another issue - the game starts loading during fights. Like I'm in a middle of a fight and suddenly getting loading screen. What can be done about this?

Never had these issues on my firs walkthrough.

Mohonky

Edgeward said:
It wouldn't boot, it would overwrite the file if you didn't make the ini a read only file. If it is read-only, it shouldn't have any effect. I think.
Sorry could you explain this to me?

Basically I have modified User.ini

When I launch the game, what settings should I be selecting to ensure this config is being used? At the moment I have just set the game to ultra and turned off uber sampling and v-sync, meaning the graphics level is selected as 'Custom'. Is it reading from the modified user.ini file or is it just doing what I have selected from the games launcher?

Mohonky said:
Sorry could you explain this to me?

Basically I have modified User.ini

When I launch the game, what settings should I be selecting to ensure this config is being used? At the moment I have just set the game to ultra and turned off uber sampling and v-sync, meaning the graphics level is selected as 'Custom'. Is it reading from the modified user.ini file or is it just doing what I have selected from the games launcher?

I don't know alot about this, but I think what he is saying is that if your user.ini is set to "read only" those settings will do nothing at all. It doesn't matter what settings you have because the game will automatically read the user.ini whenit loads, which you have set to "read only," thus the configuration settings cannot change it even if they try.

Kyaw

EternalGamer said:
I don't know alot about this, but I think what he is saying is that if your user.ini is set to "read only" those settings will do nothing at all. It doesn't matter what settings you have because the game will automatically read the user.ini whenit loads, which you have set to "read only," thus the configuration settings cannot change it even if they try.

Correct.

You are advised to set the ini file to read-only if you are using the configs from the OP. [Or any configs that involves editing the ini file.]

LiK

yea, i accidentally forgot to turn on Read-only and when i booted the game, it didn't look as good so i went to check and the game rewrote the User.ini to default settings.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, guess I won't be playing this for a while, reached the town in Chapter 2 and it runs like absolute shit.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Easy_D said:
Okay, guess I won't be playing this for a while, reached the town in Chapter 2 and it runs like absolute shit.

The town for Roche's path is less demanding. I wouldn't call it a town even, more like a camp.

Though you'll probably go "there" at some point so I'm not sure.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yurt said:
The town for Roche's path is less demanding. I wouldn't call it a town even, more like a camp.
I'll just assume there's gonna be stuff more demanding than this later on, so might as well quit now :(. It's not even an impressive town to begin with.

kamspy

This game runs much better for me than I thought it would. Insanely better actually. In fact, it's making my GPU upgrade harder to do because I still can't justify canning the one I have!

Specs:

AMD Phenom 955x4 @ 3.8Ghz
Nvidia 275 GTX factory OC
4 GB RAM
W7 x64

Playing with these settings

cyf3f.png

and never really dropping under 30 fps for extended periods of time. If I'm indoors it's closer to 60fps. Damn that little 275 is a champ. Lasted me so long and still going strong. I guess Skyrim and BF3 are the next tests. I'm happy with my perf in TW2. In fact, I started my settings much lower, expecting that I could run on Very High. Then I decided to see what the game looked like in all it's splendor and glory and it was shockingly playable. Really makes it hard to justify upgrading.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah the GTX 275 was a great card. Just about the same performance as the GTX 460, over a year earlier, and at nearly the same price.

kamspy

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah the GTX 275 was a great card. Just about the same performance as the GTX 460, over a year earlier, and at nearly the same price.

Yeah. I'm not the type to spend more than $250 on one computer part, so I don't know when I'm going to be able to upgrade with a clear conscious. The 460 would be a very lateral upgrade, even the 560 wouldn't really be worth the money.

Guess I'm left waiting for 570 power or better at the $250 mark. And frankly, a game that demands that kind of horsepower.

Mexx

Neo Member
Anyone playing on GT440? Just get some money, and this card is cheap, I will be really satisfited to play on 1280x1024 or 720p and medium details in 30FPS.

Mexx

Neo Member
GTS450 is around my budget. Is it much better than GT440?
EDIT. Okay, I see on the table. It's 70% better, so there is a diffrence.

nitric0

BoobPhysics101 said:
Ok, there seems to be a lot of confusion about custom user.ini settings so I'm going to do my best to help clear it all up.

The problem with the Witcher 2 custom user.ini's is twofold: first, the configurator is bugged so that it doesn't always set custom settings correctly, retaining old settings (like the max shadow size etc) or even forgetting to completely put in whole variables (it loves to leave the FoliageDistance variable out, which means your grass/foliage distance is at some unknown level.)

YMMV with these configs, but a couple of users with higher end PC's have reported increased image quality, FPS, and smoothness with the first config I posted (which was a more tame Ultra+ config). I personally believe CDProjekt Red erred on the side of caution with the stock Ultra config; other than the boneheaded move of enabling Ubersampling, everything is set too low to really take advantage of the increased horsepower the higher end GPU's offer.
Thanks for this AMAZING guide!! I just had a question, after I change the user file and save it and click read only. Do I do anything in the witcher 2's options? or just play the game without messing with the options?

Enkidu

nitric0 said:
Thanks for this AMAZING guide!! I just had a question, after I change the user file and save it and click read only. Do I do anything in the witcher 2's options? or just play the game without messing with the options?
If you mess with the options the game will just try and change the .ini file again, so just start the game when you are done.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd be grateful if someone with a dualcore (E8500 range) could give me some magical settings that make Chapter 2 run less like doodoo.

Or maybe I should give up now and finish my Arcanum run instead.. ;( I'll have to get a job and upgrade my PC. Somehow I feel I should have kept my 8800gt and upgraded my CPU instead

JohngPR

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it looks like a lot of that DLC stuff is in the actual DLC section of the launcher now.

Osietra

Banned
I have a 6950 in the post since my 4870 rip'd. Should I be able to run this on high settings (with dof off) and get around 50 fps? I have a q660 quad core 2.8 at the moment. If I crank it maybe 3.2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Osietra said:
I have a 6950 in the post since my 4870 rip'd. Should I be able to run this on high settings (with dof off) and get around 50 fps? I have a q660 quad core 2.8 at the moment. If I crank it maybe 3.2.

YES! you'll be able to run it on ultra with uber and motion blur off.

Amazing, I could have got a desktop with a 6990 and a 6970 crossfire (if that is even possible) for price of my laptop

Can't wait until technology shrinks further and reasonable parity is achieved by laptops.

Well, I suppose its come along way, since the 6970m unlocked = 6850

Narag

This is bizarre. I lost all controls aside from rotating the camera after talking to someone in Act II. Even loading an earlier save and talking to her again causes it again.

nitric0

Bufbaf said:
I'm getting a lot of slowdowns for half a second each, very noticable while running around or turning the camera. Thing is, yesterday they weren't there :(

Radeon6870, Athlon X4 and 4 Gigs of Ram, ran fine yesterday :/ Damn, that's no fun at all now.

Hell, even if I set it to 'medium' it basically runs like shit. I'm slightly annoyed right now.
I have the same exact setup. AMD X4 635 OC'd to 3.1. I'm running the game on ultra with Boobyphysics settings and I'm getting 30-40 fps outdoors and 60+ fps indoors. 1680x1050 resolution. Though in the town I am normally at 30fps, but it dips as low as 27ish

diztrukted said:
CPU = Core i7 930 @ 4009.04 MHz

RAM = 6.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 763MHz (8-9-9-24)

GPU = ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Turn Texture Filtering/Catalyst AI to Standard and/or Quality, Mipmapping to High Quality, and Anisotropic Filtering to 8x.

LiK

not a fan of fading in foliage. kinda curious if there's a setting you guys use so that it's less noticeable and doesn't cause a performance hit.

i5 2500k and gtx 570 here.

I`m sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread but is there a way to limit the FPS, in the title screen the FPS hits 1400+ and the fan on my graphics card starts screaming, it calms down once I`m in the actual in game.

sandy-bridge I5 2500K
8gigs ddr3

Thanks in advance.

mileS

LiK said:
not a fan of fading in foliage. kinda curious if there's a setting you guys use so that it's less noticeable and doesn't cause a performance hit.

i5 2500k and gtx 570 here.

in the user.ini
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2

gdt

Any info on when they'll fix the 1.1 gamepad fuckup? Moving at a steady pace through TW1, and would like that to be resolved before I start playing. Hell, I don't think I'll play on a kb+m at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
gdt5016 said:
Any info on when they'll fix the 1.1 gamepad fuckup? Moving at a steady pace through TW1, and would like that to be resolved before I start playing. Hell, I don't think I'll play on a kb+m at all.
Since it's such a minor issue there should be a fix soon enough. How far are you in the first?

captmorgan said:
I`m sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread but is there a way to limit the FPS, in the title screen the FPS hits 1400+ and the fan on my graphics card starts screaming, it calms down once I`m in the actual in game.

sandy-bridge I5 2500K
8gigs ddr3

Thanks in advance.

Turn on Vsync. Limits it to 60fps at all times and constant.

LiK

mileS said:
in the user.ini
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2

yea, i'm already on that setting from the custom ini. guess i'll turn it up and see what happens.

gdt5016 said:
Chapter IV, umm...just killed Dagon.

good good. you won't regret finishing TW1 first. i beat the first game before playing TW2 and it's a much better experience cuz of all the returning characters and callbacks. the final chapter in TW1 is great.

e_i said:
Downloading the patch from Steam. Holy shit...how big is this mother?

the patch is 9mb but Steam is forcing people to red/l the entire game. blame Steam.

Minsc

Gold Member
e_i said:
Downloading the patch from Steam. Holy shit...how big is this mother?

~9GB, but the good news is they're fixing the ridiculous patch size somehow, expected sometime this coming week. It should be 9MB.

Any silly reason why I can't save the ini? I've tried to edit and when I go to save it pops up and tells me "Access Denied". The file is not set to read only and I'm the only user/admin on the computer (Windows 7 Home 64 bit).

Minsc

Gold Member
Futurevoid said:
Any silly reason why I can't save the ini? I've tried to edit and when I go to save it pops up and tells me "Access Denied". The file is not set to read only and I'm the only user/admin on the computer (Windows 7 Home 64 bit).

Try saving it to another place, and copy/pasting it?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Foliagedistancescale=2.0 was about where I found the sweet spot between great frame rates and visuals. I had it at 1.6 but still got some pop-in. Nothing terrible but worth going a few notches up.

Exuro

LiK said:
the patch is 9mb but Steam is forcing people to red/l the entire game. blame Steam.
The entire game is 16GB. It has to redownload one file that happens to be 9.3GB zipped. "Forced" isn't a good word to use. TW2 was just put together in a weird way.

Top Bottom