• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Minsc said:
~9GB, but the good news is they're fixing the ridiculous patch size somehow, expected sometime this coming week. It should be 9MB.
Maybe they'll redirect the filepath for the patched files so the game loads them from an external location rather than the archive, thus preventing Steam from having to redownload the entire file :D

LiK

LiquidMetal14 said:
Foliagedistancescale=2.0 was about where I found the sweet spot between great frame rates and visuals. I had it at 1.6 but still got some pop-in. Nothing terrible but worth going a few notches up.

cool, will try that

liquidmetal14 said:
Foliagedistancescale=2.0 was about where I found the sweet spot between great frame rates and visuals. I had it at 1.6 but still got some pop-in. Nothing terrible but worth going a few notches up.
I'm running these specs:

i5 2500k @4.3 (plan to push it higher in the next few days)
GTX 560ti 2GB
8GB DDR3-1600
60gb SSD

I'm actually going to test your ini settings and see how it goes sans Ubersampling off the bat. Are you specs comparable out of curiosity?

e_i

Minsc said:
~9GB, but the good news is they're fixing the ridiculous patch size somehow, expected sometime this coming week. It should be 9MB.

Gah. Really? No wonder it's taking so long.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Futurevoid said:
I'm running these specs:

i5 2500k @4.3 (plan to push it higher in the next few days)
GTX 560ti 2GB
8GB DDR3-1600
60gb SSD

I'm actually going to test your ini settings and see how it goes sans Ubersampling off the bat. Are you specs comparable out of curiosity?
Flashed 6950-6970 2GB but no SSD. I tried 2.2 but I started to notice more drops but absolutely no pop in. Looked really lush. I think 1.8 or 2.0 is just right. Oh and my 2500k is at 4.5ghz so not much different. My flashed GPU gets me GTX580 levels of performance though so we may be a little separated there.

With 2.2 it was almost hovering at 60 but went lower. 1.8 and 2.0 left me with similar FR's as 1.6. And I have my texture budget to 1200 with 2GB of GPU RAM.

gdt

Futurevoid said:
That worked. Thanks. Still curious as to why it's not letting me change it though.

I had the same problem. The issue was that I was trying to edit the user.ini in my Program Files instead of My Documents (one of the Witcher 2 folders).

Thanks, liquid. I'll give it a whirl here in a bit. I set the foliage to 1.6 and I'll up it from there depending on the framerate. I'm happy to maintain 40-50fps.

The issue was that I was trying to edit the user.ini in my Program Files instead of My Documents (one of the Witcher 2 folders).
That's exactly what I was doing! heh, I hope it works just the same.

Anyone else occasionally lose music and some sound effects? A restart of the game fixes it, but it's annoying when it does it in a cutscene.

LiquidMetal14

bloodforge said:
Anyone else occasionally lose music and some sound effects? A restart of the game fixes it, but it's annoying when it does it in a cutscene.
Only when I alt tabbed out once. Never lost anything other than 1 occurrence.

Futurevoid, did you see my full ini?

On the last page? Yes. I'm reinstalling at the moment since fussing around with the main ini got me all kinds of wierd effects when I booted the game. Once I reinstall, I'll throw your settings in my user.ini in the "My Documents" folder and test it out.

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=0
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=4
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=2.2
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1200
UberSampling=1
VSync=0

I'm gonna go without Ubersampling at first and then add it to see what kind of performance hit I take.

LiquidMetal14

I don't recommend it. You will be in the 20's or even less. Try it to gauge but believe me, it will look nice but KILL performance will all settings up. I should note that anytime I've tried uber I always have everything on except a few things like MB and VSYNC. I've never bothered to lower things to medium as I love me the draw distance and detail of ultra settings. Try it but don't stick with it :p

And change foliage to 2.0 and alternate between 1.8 and see if you notice significant drops.

Pimpbaa

bloodforge said:

Do you have a surround sound setup? I think there are some issues with 5.1 sound at the moment.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I don't recommend it.
Uber? Or using the .ini settings? Uber I can do without. I was playing the game sans any .ini tweaks on the default Ultra settings and it was running well. I'd just like to get a bit more out of it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Exuro said:
The entire game is 16GB. It has to redownload one file that happens to be 9.3GB zipped. "Forced" isn't a good word to use. TW2 was just put together in a weird way.

It's not too different from how Fallout 3 and Oblivion work, only they use 1-2GB .bsa files, not 8-10 GB ones. It's way better for your HDD that way, some games are horrible and have like 50,000-100,000 files, and take like 10+ seconds just to move to another folder on the same drive because there's so damn many 4kb files. At least Oblivion and Fallout 3 have the decency to split it to 1GB pieces, I do think a single 9GB file containing everything is a bit extreme, but it's still better imo than 100,000 small files.

If they really found a solution to the problem and will have it fixed on Steam like it was reported, then it's not an issue anymore anyway.

I must say it was fun downloading the game 3 times that one day in the name of troubleshooting, good thing my ISP doesn't give a crap about a measly 30GB, when it turned out all I needed was a reboot (I hate rebooting).

LiquidMetal14

Futurevoid said:
Uber? Or using the .ini settings? Uber I can do without. I was playing the game sans any .ini tweaks on the default Ultra settings and it was running well. I'd just like to get a bit more out of it.
uber mainly. Try it but unless you can get closer to 60fps with an SLI/CF setup then it's not worth the enormous hit you take. That is unless you lower things to medium and compromise some but the game looks so elegant with ultra settings that you forget about uber really fast.

Your settings are not very far off from my own so you should be ok and actually see an increase like I did from default settings.

MadFerIt

I'm only just past the prologue (first city hub) but I'm getting a consistent 48-60fps @ 1680x1050 with the following system and settings (maxed out except for Uber):

Core i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @ 1648mhz
XFX Radeon 6950 1GB (only $199 so settled for lower memory) @ 840/1350mhz

AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=1
MaxCubeShadowSize=256
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=512
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=1.0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=800
UberSampling=0
VSync=1
FoliageDistanceScale=1.6
MeshDistanceScale=2.2

I'm still not happy with the foilage popin though, if anyone can recommend improved settings in the .ini I'd appreciate it.

Pimpbaa said:
Do you have a surround sound setup? I think there are some issues with 5.1 sound at the moment.

Yeah, I'm using Dolby Digital Live to get 5.1 from my home theater setup. Hopefully they get it fixed then.

The ini settings worked nicely, liquid. I'm getting a consistent 45-55 FPS through everything I've played through (escaping the dungeons at the moment). The only issue I have is that in certain spots the game can look "framey" as though it's hitching. Anyone else seeing that? Anyway to help correct it?

BoobPhysics101 said:
Turn Texture Filtering/Catalyst AI to Standard and/or Quality, Mipmapping to High Quality, and Anisotropic Filtering to 8x.

yeah um, that didn't really help much, all i could see were the sky and geralts clothes (partially)

LiquidMetal14

Futurevoid said:
The ini settings worked nicely, liquid. I'm getting a consistent 45-55 FPS through everything I've played through (escaping the dungeons at the moment). The only issue I have is that in certain spots the game can look "framey" as though it's hitching. Anyone else seeing that? Anyway to help correct it?
Could be stream loading. Did you settle with 2.0 foliage? Try 1.8. Glad you're getting good FR's.

Aeana

Really strange that when it's raining in Flotsam, I go down to 18 FPS if I go near the dwarven craftsman guy. First time I've ever dropped below 30 FPS in the game.

mileS

Aeana said:
Really strange that when it's raining in Flotsam, I go down to 18 FPS if I go near the dwarven craftsman guy. First time I've ever dropped below 30 FPS in the game.

I could be wrong but I think its the Blur effect setting. It says it isn't used that often but is "quite demanding on hardware" in the readme. I played with this setting for a while and when its on effects like rain and fire would destroy the framerate. I find the rain and fire look just as good with it off and it keeps the framerate more stable so I turned it off.

LiquidMetal14

mileS said:
I could be wrong but I think its the Blur effect setting. It says it isn't used that often but is "quite demanding on hardware" in the readme. I played with this setting for a while and when its on effects like rain and fire would destroy the framerate. I find the rain and fire look just as good with it off and it keeps the framerate more stable so I turned it off.
Definitely GPU dependant BUT I do drop but never below 60 while raining. I have blur on too but that never affects my performance. The main issue is within the game in the loading of game data on the fly. Could be a little more smooth as I had freezing doors like Aeana mentioned on the last page. I'm on 11.5b Catalyst drivers and 1.1.

Aeana

mileS said:
I see. Well, anywhere else in town while it's raining and my framerate is fine. Just something about that one area. I'll mess with the setting though.

liquidmetal14 said:
Did you settle with 2.0 foliage? Try 1.8.
I settled on 1.8. I thought it was the best give/take between framerate and stuff appearing out of thin air. With the current setup I'm running at 1680X1050 and I haven't seen a drop below 45fps. I'm using drdoverrider to enable vsync and triple buffering as well (I cannot deal with screen tearing).

As to the previous issue with the framey gameplay, it was sort of my fault:). I hadn't realized that I left 6xAA turned on in the Nvidia control panel from when I was playing an older PC game. So I was playing the Witcher with it on. It didn't really kill my framerate much but it was causing the stuttering something fierce. Once I turned it off, things balanced out. I still get some areas where things look a bit "hitchy" but I can live with it considering how well everything looks/performs.

Though if anyone has any other suggestions on that front, I'm happy to try.:)

I'm hoping I can maintain similar performance at these settings when I step up to a 1080p monitor next week.

Aeana

Aeana said:
Update on this: I lowered the shadow quality from 3 to 2 and it fixed the problem completely. And I don't really think I notice a difference since I'm playing on a TV and am a decent distance away.

LiK

Aeana said:
Update on this: I lowered the shadow quality from 3 to 2 and it fixed the problem completely. And I don't really think I notice a difference since I'm playing on a TV and am a decent distance away.

i'm wondering if i should lower the shadow effects as well. i hardly notice them. maybe i'll lower it to 2 as well.

Futurevoid said:
That worked. Thanks. Still curious as to why it's not letting me change it though.

I had the same problem as well. The issue lies in the permissions. Right click on the document, highlight Properties, select the Security tab, and then edit the permissions so that you're able to save/overwrite it.

Edit: Doh! I, too, was editing the user.ini from the Program Files. Well, if you do edit the user.ini from the Program Files, what I described above works.

leng jai

What I love about PC gaming is the options. I'd hate to play the console version and be forced to put up with ugly bloom and motion blur while also knowing its hindering performance.

beast786

leng jai said:
What I love about PC gaming is the options. I'd hate to play the console version and be forced to put up with ugly bloom and motion blur while also knowing its hindering performance.

Ture. But it could also be pain in the ass. Thanks to OP , I finally figured out why my performance was taking such a hit.

Plus I still have the bleeding light issue which is horrible whenever I am indoor. Tried the one in OP and it did not work.

LiK

beast786 said:
Uninstalling 3D Vision driver made all the difference in the world. I went from 10-15fps to 60fps locked.

Thank You OP.

so you uninstall both the 3D vision controller and driver right? i see them in the uninstall list in control panel.

beast786 said:
Ture. But it could also be pain in the ass. Thanks to OP , I finally figured out why my performance was taking such a hit.

Plus I still have the bleeding light issue which is horrible whenever I am indoor. Tried the one in OP and it did not work.

Yup, it can definitely be a pain in the ass sometimes. A console's simplicity is definitely one of its biggest strengths over pc gaming. But in the end, it's worth it, simply because I can play this at a full 1080p at mostly 60 fps on my rig.

LiK

ew, got a CtaMon.dll not found after i uninstalled the 3D Vision drivers. Got rid of that startup message with the startup options. Not sure what that is.

nitric0

Aeana said:
I did the same but I still get around 15 fps when I'm talking to them. I get 40-50 everywhere else. Not sure what's wrong

LiK

beast786 said:
I was on 275 (beta) and have a Sli X 3 setup.

It increase my FPS and GPU utilization.

Sorry it was no help :(

no prob, i don't need 3D vision anyway. the CtaMon.dll error is just an anomaly. didn't see anyone else here get that msg. but like i said, got rid of it by doing selective startup.

heard the beta drivers are good so i might check it out or just wait for the next certified version.

Ashour

I updated my NVIDIA drivers to the latest beta and uninstalled 3D vision and now I'm getting "3D driver direct x9 error". I reinstalled direct X but I'm still getting same error.

if I wait for around 3 min after the error the game starts. can someone help me please.

also I was getting 40 to 50 frames before the update and it's the same after. I tried to change the .ini from the op link (and set it to read only after I change it) but every change is still giving me the same frames. am I missing something.

I have i5 2500k @ 3.3
GTX 570
6 gigs of RAM.

edit: forgot to mention that I didn't update the game (dont want it to mess my gamepad) and I'm using the D2D launcher.

Q8D3vil said:
shit performance
2xgtx 570 sli and i can't even play get stable 60 fps, it drops to 50's a lot :/

Try this config, I originally sent it to Hawk269 (SLI GTX 580's) but it may work equally as well for you:

[quote='Ultimate Ultra' (GTX 570 Edition)]][Rendering]
TextureDownscale=0
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
MaxTextureSize=4096
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
TextureMemoryBudget=800
TextureTimeBudget=10
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxCubeShadowCount=4
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=4
FoliageDistanceScale=3.0
MeshDistanceScale=4.0
CharacterLodGameplayDownscale=0
AllowBloom=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBlur=1
AllowDOF=1
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowVignette=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowScatterDOF=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=1
DanglesLimiter=0
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=4
Fullscreen=1
VSync=0
UberSampling=0[/quote]

Set Vsync and Bloom to taste (you may need Vsync + triple buffering if you hate screen tearing).

It's my birthday and I'm still posting configs... I get some sort of sick pleasure out of tweaking computer stuff. :\

Ashour

BoobPhysics101 said:
It's my birthday and I'm still posting configs... I get some sort of sick pleasure out of tweaking computer stuff. :\
happy birthday man. nothing wrong with that as long as you're enjoying it :)

Q8D3vil

BoobPhysics101 said:
Try this config, I originally sent it to Hawk269 (SLI GTX 580's) but it may work equally as well for you:

Set Vsync and Bloom to taste (you may need Vsync + triple buffering if you hate screen tearing).

thanks, will try it now
and happy bday :)

DemonNite

Ok guys, I know this might be impossible but I'll ask anyway...

I've been playing the game at work on my work PC using a 9800GTX. However, I want to continue playing the game when at home. The problem is that I have a very old ATI X1900XTX in my home pc and the game doesn't work properly (the floor in outside environments are missing for example).

I know this is a very old card and that ATI have stopped supporting it with drivers but I'm hoping there might be a user.ini tweak to disable some options to render it correctly. I don't have a problem about low fps or low resolutions... I just have a problem when it doesn't render the floor at all lol.

I won't be able to upgrade the card at home just yet but would love to play the game at work and at home. So guys... any suggestions which user.ini tweak might stop the floor from fucking up?

Indoor is ok
DAoVX.png

Outdoor has missing floors
2Ubzu.png

Also, notice the strange oddity next to his feet? that follows him everywhere!

Top Bottom